Author Topic: OWON Oscilloscope Do you have one and would you buy again  (Read 1093 times)

Offline imkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
OWON Oscilloscope Do you have one and would you buy again
« on: June 18, 2021, 07:59:55 pm »
Hello,
So I am shopping for a new Oscilloscopes up to about £400/$400 and considering an OWON.
I am thinking of these as are also marketed as Multi Comp by Farnell, so maybe they are OK.
So what model, good points, bad points and would you buy again please?
Many thanks in advance imk
1201 Alarm

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor

Offline SimonM

• Contributor
Re: OWON Oscilloscope Do you have one and would you buy again
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 09:24:47 pm »
Ian,

I would be wary of Owon scopes e.g. the 2000 series. There were criticisms of the 3000 series that put me off their scopes and it seems that not many were sold. The 2000 series uses the same board as the 3000 series but without a touch screen. That's OK to share a board but the packaging of the product has to change. You see this because the BNC needs to be recessed and the overall scope is very thick. Of course, the problems with the 3000 may not be applicable to the 2000 series, or not.

As you already know there are bad scopes that are best avoided. The issues don't seem to get resolved. If a scope doesn't sell in volume (especially if there are issues) then it seems that the overseas manufacturers seem in no hurry to fix things. The impression I get is that they then try to sell off their stock via direct selling to consumers that are then unable to return the device or get any satisfactory resolution.

Some scopes have had the same designs for 5 years (Rigol) and 3 years (Siglent) which sell in volume and have no need for recent Firmware updates. Unless you want to take a punt on something else, especially new stuff that may one day be satisfactory, they seem a safe bet. Owon does make good stuff, so it pays to cherry-pick their products. There are some Rigol and Siglent products that I wouldn't think to buy because they are simply too expensive to even contemplate for home/hobby use (for me).

Simon
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:46:47 am by SimonM »

Offline imkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 10:01:30 pm »
Simon,
Thanks for the heads up re OWON, just testing the waters really before the siglent get ordered just in case I had missed something.
Been looking at some table scopes but all seem to review as rubbish, but still have to chk out UNI-T

BTW Banggood have played the return  delay, delay, delay card by asking for more proof, videos etc. until the 30day return rolls.

Check out the list below:
(1st two days later) Regarding the oscilloscope problem, our supplier needs you to record a video to confirm the problem. Because the picture cannot show this process. We hope to get your support and understanding.

(2nd two more days later) We have checked the problem you mentioned and already taken the next step to consulate more ideas from our professionals and suppliers. It would take about 24 hours.

(3rd another to more days, i am beginning to enjoy this) We have sent your question back to the supplier, but since today and tomorrow are weekends, the supplier’s response is delayed. Can you wait for 48 hours? Please let us know the result.

It is 31 days now in China, I think they think they have won. So obvious it is boring really, a nine year old could do better! :-)
imk

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 07:53:06 am by imk »
1201 Alarm

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 10:04:14 pm »
There are some Rigol and Siglent products that I wouldn't think to buy too.
And what might they be and why ?
Shit specs or something else ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: SimonM

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 10:43:07 pm »
The later Owon handhelds were about the best low-cost handhelds until Micsig tablets came along (Ignoring the built-in DMM which was terrible). They fixed a fault on mine long out of warranty without charge.
The PC based ones are pretty decent.
Can't comment on the desktop ones
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 12:24:01 am »
Reply removed due to brand error.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:08:44 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf