Author Topic: Evaluating Noise on Tektronix TCA Differential Probes  (Read 382 times)

Offline calibrationfixtureTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Evaluating Noise on Tektronix TCA Differential Probes
« on: April 01, 2024, 07:20:52 am »
Hi to All,

Some time ago I acquired a few Tektronix TCA Differential Probes. They all pass the Standard Tests, but the only two P7380 Probes show intriging noise results.

One of them has a little DC-Offset with open inputs, The other not. When shorted to ground both Probes have no DC-Offset. On both I observed with 5x Attenuation and highest TDS7404B Sensitivity (thus 10 mV/Div on Scope) a little drifting Noise-Baseline (Burst/Pop-Corn Noise?) in comparison with the other Differential Probes (P7330 and P7380SMA). Is that normal for P7380 Probes? Even more strange on one of the P7380 Probes (with signs of repair!) there is no difference between Noise Measurement Values (Vpp and RMS) with open or shorted inputs. Anybody with some clues on this?

Calibrationfixture
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 07:52:16 am by calibrationfixture »

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Evaluating Noise on Tektronix TCA Differential Probes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 03:21:49 am »
Count yourself lucky if that is the only problem you have with a 8 GHz diff probe.
These probes are not very robust.
I have a couple where one input is blown.
They are also basically not repairable.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 07:07:28 am »
One of them has a little DC-Offset with open inputs, The other not. When shorted to ground both Probes have no DC-Offset.

Offset when open is caused by excessive leakage, which is usually from overload damage or ESD.  If the leakage is across a PN junction, then it produces the same current noise as input bias current does.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 07:09:22 am by David Hess »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055

Offline calibrationfixtureTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 07:35:31 am »
Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. Reading the User Manuals of these Probes and how they are configured (Service Manuals) there seems no problem (= damage) when there is a little (steady nature, thus not drifting) DC-Offset on highest Sensitivities in case of open inputs.

Calibrationfixture

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf