Author Topic: Datron 1061 Current measurement  (Read 8685 times)

Offline nakchakTopic starter

• Contributor
Datron 1061 Current measurement
« on: May 13, 2013, 06:37:46 pm »
Hi

I recently bought a Datron 1061 on ebay with options 10 (true rms ac) and 20 (4 wire resistance) installed.  Im hoping someone on here has some experience with the device as i'm having some bother enabling current measurement. 
The device arrived in good condition, and the seller was selling it cheap as it was showing error 6 on the self test, which if you RTFM means the resistance self test failed, however if you RTFM some more, it also says to ensure that the resistance measurement switch is set to 2 wire mode, rerun the test with 2 wire selected and self test results in a pass  :-+.
The only other issue it had was the .1 range switch and I mode switch didn't click when pressed like all the others, so i simply popped the cap off and reseated and now all buttons click  :-+ :-+

The problem i am now having is that i cant seem to enable current measurements when i press the current measurement button, the button (electrically) works and i can input a '.' when in keyboard mode, nor does the self test seem to perform any current tests i.e. i don't see an 'A' illuminated in the display when the test is complete.  Now according to the manual option 10 is needed for DC current measurement, and i bought the device with option 10 being advertised as installed, and the option label on the rear of the device states option 10 and 20 are installed. 

Does any one know a way of verifying which options are actually installed?

And assuming everything is present and correct any ideas of where to start looking for a fault?

Cheers

Nak.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Datron 1061 Current measurement
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:53:26 pm »
I'm not able to help but I just wanted to say I'm interested to see how this works out for you - I was watching the same meter but ended up buying a Solartron from the same seller instead :)

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 07:24:12 pm »
I think current measurement is standard on the 1061, it certainly doesn't appear in the option list I have in front of me.

http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/index.php?dir=09%29_Misc_Test_Equipment/Datron

The schematic should reveal all :)

Edit:
Reading failure.

Option 30 + Option 10 if you want AC too.

The options are stamped on the back of the case, next to the model and serial numbers.

See the 1071 Service Handbook from the above link for pictures drawings of all the boards
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:40:40 pm by ecat »

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:56 pm »
The options list is a bit unclear but I think it says that you need option 30 for DC current.
Also, in the manual it mentions DC current as an option.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:35:57 pm by PA0PBZ »
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:48:53 pm »
Yeah im thinking i'm missing an option here, as there is just a blanking plate where the current fuse should be...

That said the manual only ever mentions option 10 only for current measurement, not option 10 and 30, then again could always be a bit if a misprint

Bit of an arse if it cant measure current without option 30 installed, that said it does do voltage and resistance ;)

Nak.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 08:53:04 pm »
Mystery solved, missing current pcb, guess you need option 10 and option 30 to measure current at all!

Offline 64bitDOS

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:24:33 pm »
I have just got the Datron 1061A off Fleabay.
Mine came with options 30 - DC current, plus options 50 and 70.
The last two I don't need.

No AC current or AC voltage measurement.
No resistance measurement.

Just voltage and current D.C.

Last calibrated 1991, origninal label on key switch
Label says battery change due 1993.

Passes self test OK.
I have not had the lid off it yet, but I have been running it against my Fluke 8840A - another Fleabay win.

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:57:01 pm »
I have just got the Datron 1061A off Fleabay.
Mine came with options 30 - DC current, plus options 50 and 70.
The last two I don't need.

No AC current or AC voltage measurement.
No resistance measurement.

Just voltage and current D.C.

Last calibrated 1991, origninal label on key switch
Label says battery change due 1993.

Passes self test OK.
I have not had the lid off it yet, but I have been running it against my Fluke 8840A - another Fleabay win.

These old meters, they'd charge you for the air that fills the space inside if they could!

I spent a fair while squinting at dodgy ebay pictures before buying my 1061, options 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 90 installed :) Such a shame the display is knackered, I having it running with eleven 7 segment LEDs at the moment - new display around £100 if you can find one. Such a shame one of the jfets is bad too, it maybe something else but since every other range reads strangely...

You may want to change that battery ;)

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:10:21 pm »
These old meters, they'd charge you for the air that fills the space inside if they could!

I think a lot of those Datron meters were sold for use in Automated Testing applications where they were set up to do one measurement over and over and record the result somewhere. Having the options broken down like was probably attractive, you didn't have to pay for features you wouldn't use.

Offline 64bitDOS

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 11:42:59 pm »
"You may want to change that battery ;)"

I did the old "take it apart" this evening.

The date code on the battery is 08/87 and is marked "inorganic lithium battery"
I assume its a lithium ion?

It's 1/2 AA size by the looks of things.

Measured PD without mains power = 3.7Volts

Offline 64bitDOS

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:03:57 am »

I spent a fair while squinting at dodgy ebay pictures before buying my 1061, options 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 90 installed :) Such a shame the display is knackered, I having it running with eleven 7 segment LEDs at the moment - new display around £100 if you can find one. Such a shame one of the jfets is bad too, it maybe something else but since every other range reads strangely...

I'm not too disappointed in my purchase.

I need it primarily for DC voltage and current measurements.
Absolute accuracy, i.e. Cal, would be nice, but I need to measure the change in voltage and current.
I'm will be using it to monitor the current through a diode laser. Drift is important as well as resolution.

A pity about the resistance measurement though.

A.C.? What's that?     :)

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:20:46 am »
"You may want to change that battery ;)"

I did the old "take it apart" this evening.

The date code on the battery is 08/87 and is marked "inorganic lithium battery"
I assume its a lithium ion?

It's 1/2 AA size by the looks of things.

Measured PD without mains power = 3.7Volts

1/2 AA as you say, I think this is the one
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Lithium-thionyl-chloride-AA-batteries-62247

I think a lot of those Datron meters were sold for use in Automated Testing applications where they were set up to do one measurement over and over and record the result somewhere. Having the options broken down like was probably attractive, you didn't have to pay for features you wouldn't use.

Indeed.
My 2nd Datron, bought for spares, arrived installed in a 2x4U 19" rack the bottom half of which contained a backplane, psu and a few euro-card modules complete with 2 10 turn wire wound pots. I've no idea what it was used for but it looked as if it came straight from a farm.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:27:36 am by ecat »

Offline 64bitDOS

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 11:03:09 am »
1/2 AA as you say, I think this is the one
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Lithium-thionyl-chloride-AA-batteries-62247

Many thanks for the vital info.
I thought they may be secondary cells, but apparently not.
It's obvious from the CCT that there is no way that the unit will charge the battery.

Now on order from Farnell. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf