Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 125325 times)

Offline waste

• Contributor
Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #300 on: February 18, 2019, 08:25:04 pm »
I managed to solder the 2Watt DC-DC on the usb isolator in the place of the 1watt  but it still drops the voltage to 4V with 250mA so the scope doesn't turn on, even though the specs say it should provide stable 5V up until 400mA  :)
I added two capacitors but still the same :)
Next step is putting 2x 2watt DC-DC in parallel. I know it's not recommended most of the times but I ordered a second one just in case and I have it around so why not try it :)

I ll keep you posted with new results :)

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #301 on: February 18, 2019, 09:06:34 pm »
The VDS1022I uses a TI DCP02 Isolated DC-DC. Maybe try one of those?

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dcp020505.pdf
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline Florin235

« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:32 pm »
Hello, after I read this thread, about a month ago I decided to purchase the non-isolated version. Couple of days ago the scope arrived and today I connected it, ran a calibration, connected and compensated the probes. Everything worked without a problem.
I also wanted to perform the tests on the first page of this thread to see how noisy my particular setup was. I do not have the BNC terminations so I left channel inputs open(no probes). One problem that I encountered though was that I could not access the lowest vertical sensitivity setting, namely 5mV/div, specified for both VDS1022/VDS1022(I), in software; the lowest I could go was 50mV/div as can be seen from the screenshot.
The rest of the settings(trigger, horizontal, display, etc.), they all seem to be OK.
Has  anybody else with the non-isolated version of the scope encountered this problem?
Could it be a software problem? I mention that I have run S/W v1.0.30 from both the supplied CD and website with the same issue.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #303 on: March 21, 2019, 08:25:26 pm »
Hi, Welcome to the forum.  :)

Looking good. I think the reason you can't select the 5mV/div range is that the you still have the probe attenuation factor set to X10 (In the Channel menu, rather badly named as "Probe Rate").

You effectively already have it set to 5mV/div input sensitivity, the readout measurements are just 10 times too high.

P.S. Don't forget to set the attenuation factor back to X10 before using your X10 probes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:30:53 pm by Gyro »
Chris

Offline tomik

« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2019, 01:23:31 am »
Hi,
just like Waste and Florin235, I recently bought VDS1022 (non isolated) and DC-DC isolated USB converter (the same as Waste). The scope works very well, even with software running in virtual machine (host Linux OpenSuse and Windows10 in VirtualBox vm). But I had the same problem with USB converter as Waste. After a small investigation  |O, I found the cause. This device is surprisingly well designed. It has 500mA resettable fuse on input side. It's too low for our scopes. Ideally it should be replaced with bigger one, for example 750mA.  I did not have anything suitable at hand and eventually I bypassed the fuse. After that the scope started works through converter.

Tomek

Offline Florin235

« Reply #305 on: March 22, 2019, 09:53:48 am »
Thank you Gyro, that got everything back in order with my vertical scale :-+. I guess I just got carried away by some negative assumptions and simply forgot to change the amplification factor from x10 to x1.
I did the tests once more and they look the same as your tests on the first page; well more or less the same.

And no, I won't forget to put it back to x10 once I connect the 10x probes again ;D

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #306 on: March 22, 2019, 10:26:24 am »
 :-+ It looks pretty good for unterminated inputs.
Chris

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2019, 10:48:45 am »
I've been playing around a bit more with the UI and thought it was probably time to update the shortcuts into a single list, including the ones documented in the help file. Most of the shortcuts below are still undocumented.

Screen Shortcuts:

The numbers tie up to the annotations on the Screenshot below (as before):

(1) Clicking on the small arrow directly brings up the measurement cursors menu for time and / or voltage.

(2) Clicking on the small '+' icon (only appears when the mouse pointer is in the measurements area) immediately brings up the measurements selection menu.

(3) Clicking on either of the channel numbers immediately brings up the channel settings menu (Double clicking anywhere on the box also brings up the channel setting menu).

(4) Volts/div selection, Clicking brings up a normal popup+slider However if you just hover the mouse over it instead you can use the scroll wheel to increment/decrement directly, much quicker.

(5) Clicking here toggles between DC / AC / GND for that channel.

Additional, hovering in either of the channel boxes also brings up a small 'x' icon to turn off the channel. Clicking in a greyed out channel box will turn it on again. (couldn't show this and (2) at the same time).

(6) Clicking in the 'T' box brings up a slider for trigger position. It's normally easier just to drag the red trigger position flag at the top of the screen, but the 'T' box click also brings up a useful 'Reset' button to restore to the middle.

(7) Time/div... Similar operation to the V/div. Clicking brings up the pop-up/slider but mouse-over and scroll wheel changes the value directly.

(8 ) Clicking toggles the trigger source between Chan1, Chan2 and Ext (trigger marker on right hand edge of screen changes color to match).

(9) Clicking toggles trigger polarity, works on edge, slope and pulse (icon changes to match trigger type). In Video trigger mode it toggles Odd, Even, Line etc.

(10) Click to alter trigger level - Actually it's far easier and more accurate to drag the trigger marker on the right hand side if the screen, but clicking here also brings up two useful buttons to 'Reset' the trigger level and 'Set to 50%'.

-  Obviously clicking the Trigger button takes you straight to the Trigger menu.

Keyboard Shortcuts:

- <Space>  brings up (or closes) the last menu selected - the same as clicking the Menu (Home) button. (Undocumented)

- When in numeric popups (V/div, T/div, number key will cycle through values for that number. eg. Pressing 2 will cycle 2us 20us, 200us, 2ms etc. (Undocumented)

- It will take the first letter of a menu item to select, eg. Trigger mode will take E, S, V, P etc. This seems to happen even after you've shifted focus. Shame it doesn't do the same thing for numerical inputs on the trigger holdoff. (Undocumented)

- Q Increase the Vertical sensitivity of Channel 1 (Documented).

- A Decrease the Vertical sensitivity of Channel 1 (Documented).

- W Increase the Vertical sensitivity of Channel 1 (Documented).

- S Decrease the Vertical sensitivity of Channel 1 (Documented).

- Left Arrow: Decrease the Timebase (Documented).

- Right Arrow: Increase the Timebase (Documented).

- F1  Help (Documented).

- F5  Run / Stop (Documented).

- <Ctrl> Enter:  Autoset (Documented).

- <Ctrl> L (upper or lower case) Invokes "tune" mode. Apparently a diagnostic mode which displays, in the bottom left corner:' fps' (frames per second), 'cmd' (commands pending? always reads zero on mine), 'wfs' (waveforms per second?), and 'pts' (points?).  The only way to exit this mode seems to be to exit and restart. (Undocumented, may be useful to someone).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:56:17 pm by Gyro »
Chris

The following users thanked this post: DDunfield, danno_cj

Offline spford

• Contributor
« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2019, 02:38:26 pm »
Hello.
I am going to buy a VDS1022i for measuring noise several USB Chargers(hobby).
I would like to receive your help and i have some questions.

1. What is the latest hardware version of the VDS1022i?
(Eg, Rev 1.5 or Rev 1.6 or Rev 1.7, ETc)

2. Which of the P2060 or P7060 probes are included in the VDS1022i?
(Some say P2060, others say P7060(with photo))

3. Which is the better probe?
(P2060 is up to 200 voltage at x1, P7060 is 300 up to voltage at x1. it seem that another spec are same.)

I would appreciate a reply. :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:43:08 am by spford »

Offline AmadeusMozart

• Contributor
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2019, 12:32:18 pm »
I bought a Siglent SDS-1104E oscilloscope. Subsequently the Owon was sold off. But the Siglent did not stay very long - the noise of the fan got to me and it was overkill for what I needed.  Plus my health took a sharp down turn again which did not help. Recently I had the need for an oscilloscope and I bought the Picscope 2204A instead. The big advantage for me is that it does what I want and it has a build in AWG. Square wave is not perfect but still useable. I thought about an Owon again but I could never get it to work under Windows Server 2016 that I am running yet the Picoscope 2204A happily does (athough a year ago I was told it would not work under Windows server). For me the extra cost in respect to the Owon is well worth it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:34:34 pm by AmadeusMozart »

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2019, 09:55:45 am »
Hello.
I am going to buy a VDS1022i for measuring noise several USB Chargers(hobby).
I would like to receive your help and i have some questions.

1. What is the latest hardware version of the VDS1022i?
(Eg, Rev 1.5 or Rev 1.6 or Rev 1.7, ETc)

2. Which of the P2060 or P7060 probes are included in the VDS1022i?
(Some say P2060, others say P7060(with photo))

3. Which is the better probe?
(P2060 is up to 200 voltage at x1, P7060 is 300 up to voltage at x1. it seem that another spec are same.)

I would appreciate a reply. :)

Hi,

I don't know if there is a record of current H/W revision. Mine (that I did the original teardown on) was an early one, I've seen later ones with copper foil wrapped over the edge of the PCB between the upper and lower screening cans as a grounding contact for the case. The latest revision that I've seen (from the look of it) is shown in this recent video...

The only functional difference that I can see (apart from the bare tinned tracks down the edges for case grounding) is that the Video trigger chip doesn't appear to be fitted. I suspect that nobody is particularly interested in looking at analogue video in fine detail these days.

I don't know what PCB versions various ebay sellers stock these days, possibly random, but it doesn't make a functional difference anyway, they all work well.

With regard to scope probes, mine came with P2060 60MHz switchable x1/x10 probes, so does the one shown in the (recent) video.

I'm not sure where you have seen a P7060 photo and I don't know what the practical difference is - You NEVER use probes in the x1 position at those sort of voltages, that would be silly and dangerous for the scope, always use X10.

I note that you mentioned measuring noise of several USB chargers, I'm assuming (hoping) that you mean scoping the outputs. As has been covered many times before, this scope (and most others) isn't suitable for measuring mains. You would need to add a high voltage differential probe for that.

I hope this helps.
Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2019, 09:14:01 am »
Just for help community

Method for modify texts or messages in your favorit language in software VDS_C2 (or VDS_S2) for VDS series

On desk create a copy of com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0.jar in \OWON\VDS_C2\plugins\
On desk create a folder named "translate"

For decompress :

With 7zip decompressed com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0.jar in folder "translate"
with Notepad++ (or other) open MsgLib_en.properties.jar in Desk\translate\com\owon\uppersoft\dso\i18n\MsgLib_en.properties .
Modify text only after "=" and close file.

For compressed :

open 7zip and select the 3 files : com , META-INF , plugin.xml in folder "translate"

Click on "Add"
in "archive name" write "com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0"
in "archive format" change 7z by zip
Click "OK"

Open folder \Desk\translate\ and change suffix zip in jar in com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0
Click right and copy file com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0.jar

For test :

Open folder \OWON\VDS_C2\plugins\
Change name  of com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0.jar in com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0.jar.old (for protected original file).
Click right and paste file com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0.jar

Change Menu/Utility/Language

For modify texts in tips :

Open \OWON\VDS_C2\docs\VDS_C2\en\image\
Protected original image *.png in *.png.old
Open your image *.png with Paint-net
Modify and save

Alain
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:07:38 am by camomille »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, indman, cosmin1

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #312 on: May 27, 2019, 12:09:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum camomille, and thanks for the helpful information - I have been wondering how to modify things, this is a good start (I'm not a Java programmer).

Now if only you could find a way of making the 'Save' icon on the main screen (2nd to the left from the Home icon) bring up the save image box rather than save text one I'd be really happy! Having to go into the Utility menu to save an image has always been a pain.
Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #313 on: May 27, 2019, 04:51:06 pm »
to Gyro, thank you for your welcome

I am not a Java programmer ,  the *.jar files can be decompressed and recompressed like Zip or Rar files with 7zip.
The button "Save the waveform" corresponds to command "Tooltip.Save" of the file "ButtonPane.class",
but *.class files must be decompiled recompiled and I do not know how to do it.

inconsolable

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: May 27, 2019, 05:43:45 pm »
Thanks, that gives me somewhere to focus on. I've never bothered contacting Owon about this one, though they've been sort of responsive at times in the past. They must have had some reason for making that a Text save button but it makes no sense to me.

Off to do some reading...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:07:03 pm by Gyro »
Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2019, 06:32:06 pm »
For find text in folder containing jar files undecompressed :
https://sourceforge.net/projects/javinder/
https://amitstechblog.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/text-search-in-jar-files/

For decompil / recompil class files :
http://dirty-joe.com/

good luck

Alain
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:24:00 am by camomille »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline Peter Gamma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2019, 07:17:02 pm »
I m looking for a way to stream data from a OWON VDS1022I to a ftp server and from there to Matlab. Matlab has support for Oscilloscopes and has a great potential to plot, visualize and analyze data.

Is there a way to modifiy the code of the VDS1022I to stream data to an  ftp server?

Offline Peter Gamma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #317 on: June 02, 2019, 11:57:10 am »
It is probably not necessary to modifiy the code of the VDS1022I to stream data to an  ftp server and from there to Matlab, since Owons own software has a integrated SCPI interface and Matlab supports SCPI commands:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-ag-1012-awg-matlab/

It would be nice to have Matlab support for the VDS1022I. Does someone know how to use the SCPI interface of Owons software to connect to other applications?

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2019, 12:16:22 pm »
Sorry, I've not used the SCPI interface on the VDS1022I S/W but here's the interface spec/protocol document in case you haven't already found it... http://files.owon.com.cn//software/Application/VDS_Series_SCPI_Protocol.zip

Some of the higher end VDSxxxx models have ethernet interfaces but are possibly outside the price range you're interested in.
Chris

Offline Peter Gamma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #319 on: June 02, 2019, 03:25:57 pm »
Yes, I found this documentation already. It's probably a step by step procedure to get Matlab support for the VDS1022I, when nobody did use it before. There are also expamples in the Matlab community for other oscilloscopes which could be modified for the  VDS1022I. Matlab would be great for the VDS1022I, since Matlab is really wonderful for it's possibilities.

I'm looking for a solution for a respiratory sensor to connect to the VDS1022I, which is mobile. And the VDS1022I could be suitable for it. To avoid to carry around a laptop for the VDS1022I  all the time, I thought about connecting the VDS1022I to a Rasperry Pi. Rasperry Pi has it's own Linux based OS. I saw here a Linux version of the Owon software in this blog. Do you think that this version could also work on a Rasperry Pi?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:27:58 pm by Peter Gamma »

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #320 on: June 02, 2019, 06:24:15 pm »
I'm sure Matlab support will be a really welcomed feature if you can achieve it, but it does look as if you will be forging the path (unless you get lucky).

Yes there was quite an effort a while back in this thread about Linux support, I think various people got it working. I can't see a fundamental reason why it shouldn't work on a Pi [EDIT: would also be a really desirable capability] (ensuring sufficient USB supply current might possibly be one easy to solve issue). The VDS1022 device/FPGA image is easy to find in the s/w if you unzip it, as is the Java source.

Others will hopefully chip in with a more knowledgeably replies on the Linux stuff.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 06:27:14 pm by Gyro »
Chris

The following users thanked this post: Peter Gamma

Offline Peter Gamma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #321 on: June 02, 2019, 11:45:01 pm »
Nice to read the view of an expert and to profit from his knowledge :).

Regarding power consumption: Do you have experience with the power draw of the VDS1022I? What battery capacity would be necessary for using for 24 hours, for a whole day?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:37:04 am by Peter Gamma »

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #322 on: June 03, 2019, 11:50:25 am »
Haha, I wouldn't consider myself an expert in the field of Matlab, Linux or Rasperry Pi!

I haven't measured the power consumption of mine specifically, but earlier posts indicate that it is in the range of 300-400mA (the internal isolated DC-DC converter is a 2W one) -  this may pose you a problem for long term battery operation.
Chris

The following users thanked this post: Peter Gamma

Offline Peter Gamma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2019, 01:46:05 pm »
You say you are not an expert for Linux, Rasperry Pi and Matlab? But are you not the expert here in the forum for OWON VDS1022I? Thanks for the information about power consumption for the VDS1022I, very useful, VDS1022I expert!

I m one step further with the SCPI communication between VDS1022I and Matlab. I found an example in Matlab for the SCPI communication between a Rigol oscilloscope and Matlab, which could be modified for the VDS1022I and tested.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-ag-1012-awg-matlab/

And if it does not work, asking Owon s  tech support for help could solve the problem.

SCPI seems not to be very often used, but looks not too complicated. I m convinced that this can be solved by everyone who want s it for the VDS1022I. And the solution might be not very difficult.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:47:52 pm by Peter Gamma »

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2019, 03:27:40 pm »
You say you are not an expert for Linux, Rasperry Pi and Matlab? But are you not the expert here in the forum for OWON VDS1022I? Thanks for the information about power consumption for the VDS1022I, very useful, VDS1022I expert!]You say you are not an expert for Linux, Rasperry Pi and Matlab? But are you not the expert here in the forum for OWON VDS1022I? Thanks for the information about power consumption for the VDS1022I, very useful, VDS1022I expert!

Ha, well I suppose I do have that dubious honour - I guess somebody had to be the first to buy one 'sight unseen' and pull it to bits! There is the odd Youtube video now which is useful for seeing the UI but pretty much all searches still go either to sellers or end up here.

It sounds as if you're making good progress already on the SCPI. I must admit that I hadn't got much further than scanning the SCPI spec and thinking, hey that could be really useful. If you can integrate it with the AWG and maybe a PSU (there's a thread around here somewhere about someone doing an SCPI controlled PSU) then you've got a really useful setup, even if a bit frequency limited. You can always go up to one of the higher VDS models later with little if any effort - the SCPI spec seems to cover several models.

If you really get stuck, I think I've still got the email address of someone in Owon's technical department. I last used it a couple of years ago when I had an issue with one of their S/W releases so it may not work any more. PM me if you need it but I'd keep it as a last resort.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:18:37 pm by Gyro »
Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf