Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 237892 times)

Offline cosmin1

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #575 on: March 17, 2020, 10:07:00 am »
I use only install-win file from Indman.
After restart, the launcher shortcut appeared in Start menu.
But i can not change the colours. I set that blue colour but traces remain red/yellow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:23:32 am by cosmin1 »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #576 on: March 17, 2020, 12:31:59 pm »
cosmin1
I explained everything to you in detail in my previous messages. You have a bad memory? Why do you need old useless messages that you and I have correctly deleted? You could simply copy an already installed shell from florentbr to a new computer. I see blue trace on your screenshot for X+Y mode. To select the color of individual trace, go to the Channels menu.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:49:34 pm by indman »

Offline cosmin1

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #577 on: March 18, 2020, 05:51:35 am »
You where right, but i just asked a decent question, no need to be rude.
I have many problems that i must take care of, and can't remember everything, especially since this is the first time i actually use this tool.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:41:31 am by cosmin1 »

Offline common_ground

« Reply #578 on: March 27, 2020, 11:03:42 pm »
XY capability is actually not bad :

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:05:19 pm by common_ground »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, ceres-c

Offline lighthunt

« Reply #579 on: April 24, 2020, 05:58:00 pm »
Hi,
I have the 1022i (isolated version) which supposed be 400V (peak to peak) according to spec (with probe set 1x I assume?). (I like that as I intend to check my tube amp.) However even when probing mains (230V), the wave goes off the chart (with top and bottom off the screen). I am not able to set more than 5V/div on the vertical scale and the auto measurements says "250V?" (the question mark being the sign it's of the scale, I am guessing). With 400V as max input, I would expect the software to allow me to set maybe 50V/div with 1x probe. What am I doing wrong?
Sorry for trivial question, it's my first scope. Thanks

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #580 on: April 24, 2020, 06:42:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum,

Firstly, Please stop probing the mains, it is not safe!

The VDS1022I provides Galvanic isolation of the USB interface, for protection of the attached PC from accidental ground loops. That does not make it safe for connection to the mains though. The metal case is connected to the probe ground clips, so it will be sitting at mains Neutral (or mains Live if you accidentally mistake the mains terminals!). Remember also that the two probe ground clips are connected to each other, as well as to the case.

With regard to the scaling. The scope is rated for 400V max with the probe on X10, so 40V max at X1. I know the spec is confusing, maybe they are trying to imply something about the USB isolation, but the input stages of the non-isolated and isolated versions are identical.

I know that many people look around for something to look at when they get their first scope, but please resist the temptation to pick the mains - many unfortunately do, and sometimes with disastrous results. If you want to look at the mains waveform, then use a small isolated step-down transformer, 24V for example.

The only safe way to scope mains voltage circuits is to use a high voltage differential probe.

P.S. Please watch the following video (Dave's How not to blow up your Oscilloscope):

https://youtu.be/xaELqAo4kkQ

P.P.S. If you're going to be doing stuff on valve amps, it would definitely be worth purchasing a X100 probe, They are not expensive. Otherwise you will be pushing the voltage rating limits of normal X10 probes (the probes themselves).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:10:34 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: lighthunt

Offline lighthunt

« Reply #581 on: April 30, 2020, 07:18:27 pm »
Hi Gyro, thank you for warm welcome and fast response!

With regard to the scaling. The scope is rated for 400V max with the probe on X10, so 40V max at X1. I know the spec is confusing, maybe they are trying to imply something about the USB isolation, but the input stages of the non-isolated and isolated versions are identical.
I suspected that may be the case after all and thanks for confirmation. The specs are indeed confusing, especilly 'cause they have 400V and 40V next to each other for all models in one table on their website, one would expect they'd use the same method/scale for specs ... (I was hoping it would go to 4000V with 10x probe according to specs sheet before purchase). But no problem, this and 100x probe hint answers my question. I didn't know probe itself is limited in voltage as it's passive  ...

Secondly, I appreciate (no sarcasm) all the extra effort in security warnings which I imagine took 4x more time to answer. Being shocked at several occasions by mains as kid  :phew:, I consider myself immune already  :box: (just kidding, but only with the second part of this sentence).

FYI, since we are talking about safety, I have chosen to probe mains on purpose as I wanted to test some high voltage before going to even higher voltage that may appear in a tube amp eventually (well I admit I was curious about actual shape in my location while trying that too). I realize the difference is that circuit with tubes are typically behind transformer, mains are not. Anyways, I have been running USB scope connected to laptop powered by battery and controlled the software by wireless mouse during measurements. This is probably still not according to safety standards, but here I think usb scopes may have actually some edge over bench scopes in practical safety in my opinion (if made sure noone and nothing may touch the laptop+scope, also a wooden desk is better than metal  :P). Am I right or missing something? (this is still not an advice for anyone).

(Tube amps, always discharge filter caps and always one hand in the pocket and think twice anytime before diving in ... they want to be respected)

Thank again and cheers

• Super Contributor
« Reply #582 on: April 30, 2020, 07:33:21 pm »
You're welcome.  :)

It's always difficult to know the level of knowledge (or even age) of a newcomer, so I always err on the side of caution.

A couple of other advantages of a X100 probe which I forgot to mention...

1. 100M input resistance (stray capacitance is also lower, but not as much as you might hope) which gives you more choice of the nodes you can probe without totally messing up the biasing, and

2. No pesky X1/X10 switch that can be almost guaranteed accidentally to slip into X1 at the worst possible moment!

P.S. Yes,  the (passive) probe does have its own voltage rating as it is a combined resistive and capacitive divider to maintain frequency response. The voltage rating must also be de-rated at high (luckily not audio) frequencies for the same reason.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:04:45 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: lighthunt

Offline VitaliyKrym

« Reply #583 on: May 17, 2020, 07:17:04 pm »
Is it possible to replace dead SiM3U156 with a new one?
How it should be programmed?

Offline deSales327

« Reply #584 on: June 04, 2020, 12:56:08 am »
Hi everyone!
As per advice of user Gyro I'm looking to buy a VDS1022I, I just have one question, is anyone running, or ran just for the lols, the software on a Mac?

Be safe!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #585 on: June 04, 2020, 04:48:28 pm »
Hi again deSales327,

I'm kicking myself!  :palm:  I'd completely forgotten that Florentbr's S/W version has a Mac (and Linux) install script in addition to Win. This is currently the best added functionality version of the Owon S/W... https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #586 on: June 05, 2020, 07:40:44 pm »
I just noticed that Farnell {Edit: and Rapid] are selling the VDS1022/1022I / VDS2062 / VDS3102 under their own Multicomp Pro brand (eg. the VDS1022s are the MP720016 / MP720017). Price look similar to ebay until you remember that they do not include VAT, but that's understandable for a distributor.

Out of curiosity I downloaded the S/W. It proclaims itself to be V1.0.32.2 (the current shipping Owon version is V1.0.30). I couldn't see any visible differences when briefly running Launcher.exe, the OWON logo has been surgically removed from the title bar, but not replaced with anything, just leaving the little 'PC' icon on the title bar and taskbar icon. Owon references have been removed from the documentation too, but not replaced. This s/w does have a higher version number than the German PeakTech rebrand though. The FPGA code is still V3.7. I didn't bother going as far as plugging the scope H/W in.

The installer can be unzipped as usual to get at the Java files, but unfortunately they haven't been clumsy enough to leave in the sources, as they did on V1.0.23.

This is probably just a curiosity at this stage as the stock Owon s/w has been superseded by improved versions like Indman's V1.0.23 based and Florentbr's V1.0.30 based versions.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:00:16 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #587 on: June 06, 2020, 12:18:36 pm »
Hi again deSales327,

I'm kicking myself!  :palm:  I'd completely forgotten that Florentbr's S/W version has a Mac (and Linux) install script in addition to Win. This is currently the best added functionality version of the Owon S/W... https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022

Just a note on installing the Florentbr software. I've just been remotely talking my son through installing the s/w and he ran into a problem with the s/w installing correctly (including creating the Start menu shortcut), but not being able to see the VDS1022 scope...

In the Dependencies section of the Florentbr github page it states "This software requires Java Runtime Environnement 8 or superior".  The https://adoptopenjdk.net/ page currently defaults to OpenJDK 11 (LTS). Note that on a windows install (don't know about Linux and Mac), if you install this version, you will most likely have the same problem of the s/w not recognising the scope, even though it is visible in the Device manager.

You need to manually select and install the OpenJDK 8 (LTS) version in order to make the Florentbr S/W work correctly (tested by uninstalling version 11 and installing V8).

I hope this helps someone.

EDIT: Nice fast response and workaround from Florent... https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022/issues/7  :-+
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:51:25 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #588 on: June 09, 2020, 08:12:13 pm »
@ Florentbr
@ Gyro

Thank you so much for your previous post about how to install FlorentbrĀ“s software. That did it for me!
I went to github a few months ago, got confused and felt like running round in circles online at oracle as well.

The software works beautifully, I love the design too. A color palette to chose from, YES ... and in case nobody has
noticed, the pesky black extra length under the saved scope picture is gone now! No more having to crop them ...

I wonder how many extras are still hidden in FlorentbrĀ“s software waiting to be discovered ...

A big cheers  :-+ to you both and thank you again.

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #589 on: June 09, 2020, 08:13:43 pm »
Gosh, forgot ... I installed this on the old Acer netbook with windows7 32 bit.

Offline lotas

« Reply #590 on: June 10, 2020, 10:13:03 pm »
Hi, a new release has been released:

2020/06/10 (1.0.30-cf10)

added Italian translation (thanks to Marco Morelli)
changed channel 1 factory color from red to green
changed default factory coupling from AC to DC
changed retore button to restore the saved settings instead of the factory settings
fixed trigger pulse/slope input width
removed unsupported install USB driver menu
improved/fixed install scripts (issues 4, 7, 8 )
https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:24:56 pm by lotas »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, Microcheap

• Super Contributor
« Reply #591 on: June 11, 2020, 10:01:24 am »
changed restore button to restore the saved settings instead of the factory settings

That one change is enough reason to update on its own!  Owon putting a restore to Factory settings button on the main screen was a pain in the ass!  Making it a 'restore to saved settings' makes it actually useful.  :-+

P.S. You can tell from the file dates what needs to be updated - in this case, just the Readme, install scripts and the JAR folder. There's no need to do a full re-install.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline lotas

« Reply #592 on: June 11, 2020, 10:43:03 am »
And also OpenJDK 11 (LTS) during installation - "fixed in release 1.0.30-cf10".
https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022/issues/7

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #593 on: June 11, 2020, 12:17:10 pm »
Hi, a new release has been released:
2020/06/10 (1.0.30-cf10)

Once again, a big respect florentbr for the release of software updates. :-+
If he reads this topic, then I would like to point out a few more points in the interface that are striking and would like to fix.
Also, in the near future I will send him a corrected Russian language file for the shell because the original translation into Russian has many errors and inaccuracies. ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 12:20:50 pm by indman »

Offline common_ground

« Reply #594 on: June 11, 2020, 01:43:44 pm »
much respect for florentbr too  :clap:

and finally pulse/slope trigger works correctly.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #595 on: June 14, 2020, 11:25:31 am »
For those who want to see Russian tips in the new cf10 release from  florentbr , as well as a corrected translation into Russian!
It is necessary to replace the owon-vds-tiny-1.0.30-cf10.jar file in the installed shell with a new one, which also contains my button icons and also icons from Gyro.
To display the tips in Russian, you need to unzip the tips.ru archive and replace the files at: Path to the installed shell \ OwonVdsTiny \ doc \ tips_en \
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:44:30 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, lotas

Offline torgil

« Reply #596 on: August 12, 2020, 07:25:29 pm »
Awesome!

I bought the VDS1022I after reading the whole thread. Today (after being on hold for a while) I got florentbr 1.0.30-cf10 up and running in no time on an old Macbook Pro. It didn't start first (jdk-11.0.1)  so I tweaked install-mac.sh to select another JAVA_HOME (jdk1.8.0_192) and that worked. Thanks!

What do you use to decompile the java source code?   I tried to make a git repository with the decompiled sources to see the diff from version to version and from different suppliers. I ran them through JD-GUI but it's not very consistent in variable naming, indentation etc which made the diffs rather noisy. It's always entertaining to see the software architecture (seen a number of these as a part my job working with test software a number of years ago) and the hacks made for adding a new product.

My aim is to get scripting and automation going (with or without GUI, with or without java, whatever makes the most sense, I don't know yet). If i'm in luck maybe even continuous sampling to laptop or RPi4 (making an awesome test station) memory will work. Do you know if this is feasible?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:29:55 pm by torgil »

Offline negative_feedback

• Contributor
« Reply #597 on: October 01, 2020, 05:56:11 pm »
Can someone give instructions how to test ATMEL/Arduino clocks (8/16Mhz) with this scope. Another thing I need it for is to check square/true sine wave of 230V AC inverter (if its even possible with 2x25MHz).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:30:52 pm by negative_feedback »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #598 on: October 02, 2020, 10:18:14 am »
Can someone give instructions how to test ATMEL/Arduino clocks (8/16Mhz) with this scope. Another thing I need it for is to check square/true sine wave of 230V AC inverter (if its even possible with 2x25MHz).

Hi,

Unless I'm misreading your questions, it sounds as if you are firstly looking for a decent basic primer on DSO usage. This thread (despite its title) has turned into a very useful one, covering pretty much all aspects of scope usage, with many experienced members contributing...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/what-an-oscilloscope-recommended-for-a-woman-passionate-about-electronics/

Regarding your specific questions:

Testing Arduino clocks should be no difficulty. It's simply a matter of attaching the probe ground clip to the Arduino 0V rail and probing the appropriate signal. I suggest initially writing a simple script to toggle an I/O pin at a defined rate while becoming familiar with the controls. If you are talking about actually monitoring the crystal on the board, then you need to be more careful of loading effects - Ensure that the scope probe is set to X10 for minimum resistive and capacitive loading and probe the crystal directly. Set the probe attenuation (referred to as 'Probe rate') in the channel menu to X10 too so that voltage readings will come out correctly. You will find that one side of the crystal (the driven side) will have a larger and more stable waveform. You should be able to get a reasonable clock waveform with the scope's bandwidth.

With regard to the 230V inverter. Assuming that it is a small inverter, supplied from a low voltage DC source. You should have no problem - however 230V is quite high - You must ensure that the probe stays in the X10 position at all times (it's normal to avoid the X1 setting for general measurements anyway, so get into the habit). At X1, 230V will damage the scope input. Ensure that the probe ground clip is attached to the 0V side of the inverter output (the ground clips are connected to the metal case of the scope).

From your PM I think you have the VDS1022I galvanically isolated version (there is no 'L' variant - the LAN port is only available on higher spec models). This means that the USB interface (and so your PC) is protected from the effects of small voltages on the ground clips. This doesn't mean that you don't need to worry about where you connect the probe ground clip (as mentioned above, the scope case will follow the ground clip voltage, as will the ground clip on the other channel!).

Hopefully I have understood your description of the 230V AC inverter correctly. If it is something bigger and more high power and dangerous, or directly mains connected, then you need the appropriate too for the job (a high voltage differential probe). Don't be tempted to probe the mains directly.

If you don't want to worry about all of the settings at the moment (you do need to set the probe attenuation in the Channel menu manually), then the Autoset button actually works quite well to get you a stable waveform under most circumstance. You will want to become familiar with the settings as soon as possible though. All of the measurement functions can be found in the measurements menu.

Adopting the Florentbr version of the software ( https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022 ) will yield benefits too, but is not essential to first use of the scope.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: negative_feedback

Offline negative_feedback

• Contributor
« Reply #599 on: October 02, 2020, 06:12:07 pm »
I am on it @Gyro but I will be back with more questions. I already got Florentbr's software working, no issues, relays are ticking nicely. Do I really need to use suplied screwdriver to "align" probes because it looks fine to me.
I will forget about hacks to check on mains voltage as I will get some propper table scope + probes you suggested  :bullshit:, only if I learn to use DSO without blowing myself up ofc (GW Instek MDO 2204EX on 20% discount, I need that spectrum analyzer more than a scope).

PS No one talked about it here: do we really need 600mV (500mV + 100mV minimum) via USB Y cable or they shipped this cable just in case  (this device can work via USB1.1)  ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf