Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 143437 times)

Offline lotas

Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #600 on: June 10, 2020, 10:13:03 pm »
Hi, a new release has been released:

2020/06/10 (1.0.30-cf10)

added Italian translation (thanks to Marco Morelli)
changed channel 1 factory color from red to green
changed default factory coupling from AC to DC
changed retore button to restore the saved settings instead of the factory settings
fixed trigger pulse/slope input width
removed unsupported install USB driver menu
improved/fixed install scripts (issues 4, 7, 8 )
https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:24:56 pm by lotas »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, Microcheap

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #601 on: June 11, 2020, 10:01:24 am »
changed restore button to restore the saved settings instead of the factory settings

That one change is enough reason to update on its own!  Owon putting a restore to Factory settings button on the main screen was a pain in the ass!  Making it a 'restore to saved settings' makes it actually useful.  :-+

P.S. You can tell from the file dates what needs to be updated - in this case, just the Readme, install scripts and the JAR folder. There's no need to do a full re-install.
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline lotas

« Reply #602 on: June 11, 2020, 10:43:03 am »
And also OpenJDK 11 (LTS) during installation - "fixed in release 1.0.30-cf10".
https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022/issues/7

Offline indman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #603 on: June 11, 2020, 12:17:10 pm »
Hi, a new release has been released:
2020/06/10 (1.0.30-cf10)

Once again, a big respect florentbr for the release of software updates. :-+
If he reads this topic, then I would like to point out a few more points in the interface that are striking and would like to fix.
Also, in the near future I will send him a corrected Russian language file for the shell because the original translation into Russian has many errors and inaccuracies. ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 12:20:50 pm by indman »

Offline common_ground

• Contributor
« Reply #604 on: June 11, 2020, 01:43:44 pm »
much respect for florentbr too  :clap:

and finally pulse/slope trigger works correctly.

Offline indman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #605 on: June 14, 2020, 11:25:31 am »
For those who want to see Russian tips in the new cf10 release from  florentbr , as well as a corrected translation into Russian!
It is necessary to replace the owon-vds-tiny-1.0.30-cf10.jar file in the installed shell with a new one, which also contains my button icons and also icons from Gyro.
To display the tips in Russian, you need to unzip the tips.ru archive and replace the files at: Path to the installed shell \ OwonVdsTiny \ doc \ tips_en \
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:44:30 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, lotas

Offline torgil

« Reply #606 on: August 12, 2020, 07:25:29 pm »
Awesome!

I bought the VDS1022I after reading the whole thread. Today (after being on hold for a while) I got florentbr 1.0.30-cf10 up and running in no time on an old Macbook Pro. It didn't start first (jdk-11.0.1)  so I tweaked install-mac.sh to select another JAVA_HOME (jdk1.8.0_192) and that worked. Thanks!

What do you use to decompile the java source code?   I tried to make a git repository with the decompiled sources to see the diff from version to version and from different suppliers. I ran them through JD-GUI but it's not very consistent in variable naming, indentation etc which made the diffs rather noisy. It's always entertaining to see the software architecture (seen a number of these as a part my job working with test software a number of years ago) and the hacks made for adding a new product.

My aim is to get scripting and automation going (with or without GUI, with or without java, whatever makes the most sense, I don't know yet). If i'm in luck maybe even continuous sampling to laptop or RPi4 (making an awesome test station) memory will work. Do you know if this is feasible?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:29:55 pm by torgil »

Offline negative_feedback

• Contributor
« Reply #607 on: October 01, 2020, 05:56:11 pm »
Can someone give instructions how to test ATMEL/Arduino clocks (8/16Mhz) with this scope. Another thing I need it for is to check square/true sine wave of 230V AC inverter (if its even possible with 2x25MHz).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:30:52 pm by negative_feedback »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #608 on: October 02, 2020, 10:18:14 am »
Can someone give instructions how to test ATMEL/Arduino clocks (8/16Mhz) with this scope. Another thing I need it for is to check square/true sine wave of 230V AC inverter (if its even possible with 2x25MHz).

Hi,

Unless I'm misreading your questions, it sounds as if you are firstly looking for a decent basic primer on DSO usage. This thread (despite its title) has turned into a very useful one, covering pretty much all aspects of scope usage, with many experienced members contributing...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/what-an-oscilloscope-recommended-for-a-woman-passionate-about-electronics/

Regarding your specific questions:

Testing Arduino clocks should be no difficulty. It's simply a matter of attaching the probe ground clip to the Arduino 0V rail and probing the appropriate signal. I suggest initially writing a simple script to toggle an I/O pin at a defined rate while becoming familiar with the controls. If you are talking about actually monitoring the crystal on the board, then you need to be more careful of loading effects - Ensure that the scope probe is set to X10 for minimum resistive and capacitive loading and probe the crystal directly. Set the probe attenuation (referred to as 'Probe rate') in the channel menu to X10 too so that voltage readings will come out correctly. You will find that one side of the crystal (the driven side) will have a larger and more stable waveform. You should be able to get a reasonable clock waveform with the scope's bandwidth.

With regard to the 230V inverter. Assuming that it is a small inverter, supplied from a low voltage DC source. You should have no problem - however 230V is quite high - You must ensure that the probe stays in the X10 position at all times (it's normal to avoid the X1 setting for general measurements anyway, so get into the habit). At X1, 230V will damage the scope input. Ensure that the probe ground clip is attached to the 0V side of the inverter output (the ground clips are connected to the metal case of the scope).

From your PM I think you have the VDS1022I galvanically isolated version (there is no 'L' variant - the LAN port is only available on higher spec models). This means that the USB interface (and so your PC) is protected from the effects of small voltages on the ground clips. This doesn't mean that you don't need to worry about where you connect the probe ground clip (as mentioned above, the scope case will follow the ground clip voltage, as will the ground clip on the other channel!).

Hopefully I have understood your description of the 230V AC inverter correctly. If it is something bigger and more high power and dangerous, or directly mains connected, then you need the appropriate too for the job (a high voltage differential probe). Don't be tempted to probe the mains directly.

If you don't want to worry about all of the settings at the moment (you do need to set the probe attenuation in the Channel menu manually), then the Autoset button actually works quite well to get you a stable waveform under most circumstance. You will want to become familiar with the settings as soon as possible though. All of the measurement functions can be found in the measurements menu.

Adopting the Florentbr version of the software ( https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022 ) will yield benefits too, but is not essential to first use of the scope.
Chris

The following users thanked this post: negative_feedback

• Contributor
« Reply #609 on: October 02, 2020, 06:12:07 pm »
I am on it @Gyro but I will be back with more questions. I already got Florentbr's software working, no issues, relays are ticking nicely. Do I really need to use suplied screwdriver to "align" probes because it looks fine to me.
I will forget about hacks to check on mains voltage as I will get some propper table scope + probes you suggested  :bullshit:, only if I learn to use DSO without blowing myself up ofc (GW Instek MDO 2204EX on 20% discount, I need that spectrum analyzer more than a scope).

PS No one talked about it here: do we really need 600mV (500mV + 100mV minimum) via USB Y cable or they shipped this cable just in case  (this device can work via USB1.1)  ?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #610 on: October 02, 2020, 07:04:59 pm »
Looking good, I'm glad you already got Florentbr's s/w installed.

The probe compensation (alignment) only applies for the X10 position on the probes - you will likely see a good square wave on the X1 position because it is effectively a straight through cable rather than a x10 attenuator with resistive and capacitive elements. It would be unlikely (but not impossible) that they wouldn't need a little tweak.

There's really no difference between using the Owon or a bench scope with a properly specified high voltage differential probe for mains use (other that the probe being more times the cost of the scope). :) Don't forget to try the FFT function too, it does have one, it works pretty well (the 1022 and the Instek are both 8 bit resolution scopes after all).

The power consumption of the 1022(I) is pretty low - I didn't realize that they ship them with Y cables now. Mine, from several years ago, just came with a single USB-A to USB-A cable and works fine with desktops and laptops. I even bought a longer cable (3m?) cable for occasional use but, while it works, is probably pushing things a bit. Yes, it works fine on USB 1.1
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:06:35 pm by Gyro »
Chris

Offline indman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #611 on: October 02, 2020, 07:19:45 pm »
PS No one talked about it here: do we really need 600mV (500mV + 100mV minimum) via USB Y cable or they shipped this cable just in case  (this device can work via USB1.1)  ?
It is advisable to use USB Y cable on the 1022I model, since it consumes 400mA current in normal mode. I do not exclude that this value can change upward when changing the operating modes of the oscilloscope when 2 channels are simultaneously involved. It is known that the standard load capacity of a computer USB port is 500mA.
Therefore, it will be safer to use 2 USB ports and Y cable for more stable power. :)

• Contributor
« Reply #612 on: October 02, 2020, 08:07:56 pm »
@Gyro, it is 10x and if my settings are correct (Auto mode I think) then I think there is no curve to be "aligned". Maybe importer checked the device manually, is this common misalignment we need to keep tracking or one time thing (I did a couple of "Default" resets via software btw)?
About the cable and that copper strip people reported (I didnt disassemble mine yet), barcode says VDS1022I2016396 so I guess I got an older model, old but gold?

@indman thats what I wanted to hear, and good thinking, I got a few "respectable" power meters for USB-A that I never use so I will report back as I can monitor both inputs.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #613 on: October 02, 2020, 08:24:17 pm »
The probe alignment shouldn't shift, unless you swap them between channels (input capacitances are not necessary identical), but it's a good idea to check it occasionally. It's not something that will shift with s/w defaults.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:26:19 pm by Gyro »
Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #614 on: October 02, 2020, 08:45:10 pm »
Yeah, I had to try it and used the suplied screwdriver a little bit. Everything back to normal  :-+. Do I need to mod that copper strip in my model because barcode might be misleading (CD dates are 2020, tech specs paper says v1.2)?

PS I made a mistake, its not 500mV + 100mV but 500 + 100 mA. Using Ruideng gadget I saw it draw 2W+ when connected to its test pin and that is around 400-450mA. When I connected 2 readers then it was 230mA + 170mA, maybe my PC gives more then 100mA blindly.
I think it needs this Y cable just in case it runs out of juice (they should switch to USB3.0 and 900mA goodness).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:21:25 pm by negative_feedback »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #615 on: October 02, 2020, 09:15:07 pm »
No, the copper strip was on an intermediate PCB revision. The early PCB version (mine) has no connection between the PCB ground and the case. There was an intermediate version which used a copper foil strip, wrapped around the edge of the PCB, between the top and bottom screening cans, to make contact with the case extrusion slot. The latest incarnation that I've seen photos of has wide bare tinned copper tracks down the side of the PCB to make contact with the case slot.

My early one is the only one with a floating case (which I rather like!), all the others have the case grounded to the probe grounds by some method. I have no idea how many PCB revisions have actually been in production, these are just the ones I know of.
Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #616 on: October 02, 2020, 11:43:11 pm »
I was able to do it!  :-BROKE

But readings were not triggered per se, they were pulsating diagonaly to the upper right corner which cant be seen on the screenshot. Usually they slide from right to left or something when not triggered. I have used CTRL+ENTER to get this reading once I saw some noise while probbing the clock pins, GND was used as a ref point.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #617 on: October 03, 2020, 09:53:21 am »
Good capture!

I notice that you have the channel input set to AC coupled, which could cause some bouncing of the waveform while probing around (which is maybe what you describe). Probing crystals is never that easy as the additional loading tends to disturb their operation, but you seem to have a nice clean waveform and trigger.
Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #618 on: October 03, 2020, 11:20:18 am »
For a device that only measures voltage it sure is complicated.
                                                    -negative_feedback 2020

It is nice only on screenshot, if I look at it for 10s then I get dizzy. In this video @6:00 author starts to test the crystal with SDS 1104X-E and his trigger is also Edge but no jumping waveform. If I want the same result I have to use single trigger which is cheating. (I have tried DC mode, different shape of wave with the same crazy jumping). Dont get me wrong, I came for the frequency only :)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:22:17 am by negative_feedback »

• Contributor
« Reply #619 on: October 03, 2020, 02:36:25 pm »
Here is a video capture, I just want to know if this device can correctly trigger waves like this.
https://we.tl/t-gZ0jxBONqE

Problem was in bad GND connection and thats why excessive noise was picked up.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:26:33 pm by negative_feedback »

Offline lotas

« Reply #620 on: October 30, 2020, 05:39:24 pm »
Hello, a new release has been released on the OWON official website: PC software for VDS1022 (I) version no. - 1.0.33
http://files.owon.com.cn/software/pc/OWON_VDS_C2_Setup.zip

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #621 on: October 31, 2020, 08:02:36 pm »
Thanks. Sadly no release notes yet again - I really wish they would learn.

Luckily florentbr's version remains nice and stable. From the look of the Github issues tab, it looks as if indman will be able to have his Russian translations included at some point too :)  ...

https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022/issues
Chris

Offline indman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #622 on: December 14, 2020, 07:10:22 am »
You need to manually select and install the OpenJDK 8 (LTS) version in order to make the Florentbr S/W work correctly (tested by uninstalling version 11 and installing V8).
Florentbr made another software update for our beloved oscilloscope! :-+
https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022
I also found some problems installing the new version 1.0.33-cf11 on my Windows7x64.
I had to uninstall OpenJDK8 and install it again. I also noticed that during installation it is necessary to select and enable the items that I marked with a red arrow. Otherwise, you may have problems running the install.cmd script.

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf