Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 237340 times)

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #600 on: October 02, 2020, 07:04:59 pm »
Looking good, I'm glad you already got Florentbr's s/w installed.

The probe compensation (alignment) only applies for the X10 position on the probes - you will likely see a good square wave on the X1 position because it is effectively a straight through cable rather than a x10 attenuator with resistive and capacitive elements. It would be unlikely (but not impossible) that they wouldn't need a little tweak.

There's really no difference between using the Owon or a bench scope with a properly specified high voltage differential probe for mains use (other that the probe being more times the cost of the scope). :) Don't forget to try the FFT function too, it does have one, it works pretty well (the 1022 and the Instek are both 8 bit resolution scopes after all).

The power consumption of the 1022(I) is pretty low - I didn't realize that they ship them with Y cables now. Mine, from several years ago, just came with a single USB-A to USB-A cable and works fine with desktops and laptops. I even bought a longer cable (3m?) cable for occasional use but, while it works, is probably pushing things a bit. Yes, it works fine on USB 1.1
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:06:35 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #601 on: October 02, 2020, 07:19:45 pm »
PS No one talked about it here: do we really need 600mV (500mV + 100mV minimum) via USB Y cable or they shipped this cable just in case  (this device can work via USB1.1)  ?
It is advisable to use USB Y cable on the 1022I model, since it consumes 400mA current in normal mode. I do not exclude that this value can change upward when changing the operating modes of the oscilloscope when 2 channels are simultaneously involved. It is known that the standard load capacity of a computer USB port is 500mA.
Therefore, it will be safer to use 2 USB ports and Y cable for more stable power. :)

Offline negative_feedback

• Contributor
« Reply #602 on: October 02, 2020, 08:07:56 pm »
@Gyro, it is 10x and if my settings are correct (Auto mode I think) then I think there is no curve to be "aligned". Maybe importer checked the device manually, is this common misalignment we need to keep tracking or one time thing (I did a couple of "Default" resets via software btw)?
About the cable and that copper strip people reported (I didnt disassemble mine yet), barcode says VDS1022I2016396 so I guess I got an older model, old but gold?

@indman thats what I wanted to hear, and good thinking, I got a few "respectable" power meters for USB-A that I never use so I will report back as I can monitor both inputs.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #603 on: October 02, 2020, 08:24:17 pm »
The probe alignment shouldn't shift, unless you swap them between channels (input capacitances are not necessary identical), but it's a good idea to check it occasionally. It's not something that will shift with s/w defaults.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:26:19 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #604 on: October 02, 2020, 08:45:10 pm »
Yeah, I had to try it and used the suplied screwdriver a little bit. Everything back to normal  :-+. Do I need to mod that copper strip in my model because barcode might be misleading (CD dates are 2020, tech specs paper says v1.2)?

PS I made a mistake, its not 500mV + 100mV but 500 + 100 mA. Using Ruideng gadget I saw it draw 2W+ when connected to its test pin and that is around 400-450mA. When I connected 2 readers then it was 230mA + 170mA, maybe my PC gives more then 100mA blindly.
I think it needs this Y cable just in case it runs out of juice (they should switch to USB3.0 and 900mA goodness).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:21:25 pm by negative_feedback »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #605 on: October 02, 2020, 09:15:07 pm »
No, the copper strip was on an intermediate PCB revision. The early PCB version (mine) has no connection between the PCB ground and the case. There was an intermediate version which used a copper foil strip, wrapped around the edge of the PCB, between the top and bottom screening cans, to make contact with the case extrusion slot. The latest incarnation that I've seen photos of has wide bare tinned copper tracks down the side of the PCB to make contact with the case slot.

My early one is the only one with a floating case (which I rather like!), all the others have the case grounded to the probe grounds by some method. I have no idea how many PCB revisions have actually been in production, these are just the ones I know of.
Best Regards, Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #606 on: October 02, 2020, 11:43:11 pm »
I was able to do it!  :-BROKE

But readings were not triggered per se, they were pulsating diagonaly to the upper right corner which cant be seen on the screenshot. Usually they slide from right to left or something when not triggered. I have used CTRL+ENTER to get this reading once I saw some noise while probbing the clock pins, GND was used as a ref point.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #607 on: October 03, 2020, 09:53:21 am »
Good capture!

I notice that you have the channel input set to AC coupled, which could cause some bouncing of the waveform while probing around (which is maybe what you describe). Probing crystals is never that easy as the additional loading tends to disturb their operation, but you seem to have a nice clean waveform and trigger.
Best Regards, Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #608 on: October 03, 2020, 11:20:18 am »
For a device that only measures voltage it sure is complicated.
                                                    -negative_feedback 2020

It is nice only on screenshot, if I look at it for 10s then I get dizzy. In this video @6:00 author starts to test the crystal with SDS 1104X-E and his trigger is also Edge but no jumping waveform. If I want the same result I have to use single trigger which is cheating. (I have tried DC mode, different shape of wave with the same crazy jumping). Dont get me wrong, I came for the frequency only :)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:22:17 am by negative_feedback »

• Contributor
« Reply #609 on: October 03, 2020, 02:36:25 pm »
Here is a video capture, I just want to know if this device can correctly trigger waves like this.
https://we.tl/t-gZ0jxBONqE

Problem was in bad GND connection and thats why excessive noise was picked up.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:26:33 pm by negative_feedback »

Offline lotas

« Reply #610 on: October 30, 2020, 05:39:24 pm »
Hello, a new release has been released on the OWON official website: PC software for VDS1022 (I) version no. - 1.0.33
http://files.owon.com.cn/software/pc/OWON_VDS_C2_Setup.zip

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #611 on: October 31, 2020, 08:02:36 pm »
Thanks. Sadly no release notes yet again - I really wish they would learn.

Luckily florentbr's version remains nice and stable. From the look of the Github issues tab, it looks as if indman will be able to have his Russian translations included at some point too :)  ...

https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022/issues
Best Regards, Chris

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #612 on: December 14, 2020, 07:10:22 am »
You need to manually select and install the OpenJDK 8 (LTS) version in order to make the Florentbr S/W work correctly (tested by uninstalling version 11 and installing V8).
Florentbr made another software update for our beloved oscilloscope! :-+
https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022
I also found some problems installing the new version 1.0.33-cf11 on my Windows7x64.
I had to uninstall OpenJDK8 and install it again. I also noticed that during installation it is necessary to select and enable the items that I marked with a red arrow. Otherwise, you may have problems running the install.cmd script.

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #613 on: March 02, 2021, 07:14:30 pm »
Can the Owon VDS1022I decode I2C communications?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #614 on: March 02, 2021, 07:43:25 pm »
No, it has no built in protocol decoders.

EDIT: You could try one of the <$10 ebay 8 bit logic analyser clones and Sigrok for cheap protocol decoding.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:45:51 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: YurkshireLad

• Super Contributor
« Reply #615 on: March 03, 2021, 11:07:58 am »
Great news - Florentbr has just implemented Single and Normal triggering at slow timebases (when in Roll mode) - No more " Triggering not available below..." message when you set a slow timebase!

I can't remember how many years it is since I last asked Owon to look at this, but Florent has come up with the goods in his version of the S/W! He's even managed to retain the VDS1022 hardware triggering in this mode rather than fudging it in S/W. This will really add to the usability of the scope in more 'logging' type applications where you are looking for infrequent events.

The S/W is in the usual place: https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022

He has implemented a bunch of other improvements too:

This software is an unofficial release for the OWON VDS oscilloscope with a few improvements:

Scripts to install the app on Linux/Windows/Mac
    New shortcuts: single trigger, trigger level, offsets, coupling, inversion, reset ...
    Added single/normal triggering for the rolling mode (time base >= 100ms/div)
    Added option to measure a current instead of a voltage
    Added buttons to change the color of the waves
    Added option to persist/restore the settings
    Improved the device stability and reduced CPU footprint
    Improved the dock layout and disabled animations
    Disabled the leave/stop confirmation while recording/playing
    Merged the save image / export operation to a single button/dialog
    Many fixes (see change list)

A big thank you Florent!
Best Regards, Chris

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #616 on: March 04, 2021, 03:25:15 am »
I hope Owon monitors this thread and get the idea the benefits to sales figures for an entry level product can be brought by open software. I hope they get the message just like Rigol and "forget" their source built into their installers to inprove their value proposition.

Ah, before I forget: thanks Florent for an excellent job! The developments here are one of the reasons I continue to promote this scope here and in other fora and the improvements you and others did to it.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #617 on: March 05, 2021, 07:39:17 pm »
@ GYRO
Thank you for the info on florentbr s new software

@ florentbr
Thank you for your continued fantastic software changes! I love & appreciate them. You got yourself some free beers. 11.11.

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #618 on: March 05, 2021, 07:57:39 pm »
My guarantee is over, so I have opened up my vds1022. There was no sticker oddly enough.

I saw some "funny" parts which I first thought were sloppy production but could reference them to post number 69 from KNO3-.

Looks like they were hand soldered, yep, maybe the fingerprints can tell us whodunnit ...

What I did notice was the different values to those from post 69.

R 58&59
120k Ohm = > 160k Ohm

R 64&65
36k Ohm = > 47k Ohm

Here some pics, maybe it is something interesting to twiddle with, maybe not.
My scope does have more noise on channel 2, no matter what I try.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #619 on: March 05, 2021, 08:40:43 pm »
Thank you for your continued fantastic software changes! I love & appreciate them. You got yourself some free beers. 11.11.

He's doing well this week (well deserved), I hope he'll still be able to reach the mouse and keyboard from wherever he lands.  ;D

My guarantee is over, so I have opened up my vds1022. There was no sticker oddly enough.

I saw some "funny" parts which I first thought were sloppy production but could reference them to post number 69 from KNO3-.

Looks like they were hand soldered, yep, maybe the fingerprints can tell us whodunnit ...

What I did notice was the different values to those from post 69.

R 58&59
120k Ohm = > 160k Ohm

R 64&65
36k Ohm = > 47k Ohm

Here some pics, maybe it is something interesting to twiddle with, maybe not.
My scope does have more noise on channel 2, no matter what I try.

They are pretty nifty at their hand mods, they're hard to spot. On my early generation board they had actually managed to swap USB D+ and D- by fitting the terminating resistors in an 'X' pattern across the footprints! It's in one of my early post photos.

Yours is what I call the 'mid generation' version (no idea how many actual PCB revs), which used the Copper strap to ground the case. It came between my early one (isolated case) and the latest one with bare tinned copper down the edges of the PCB to achieve the same function.

Regarding the resistor values, check out Alain's (aka Camomille) schematic reverse engineering threads around Reply #536 to see what the effect might be [Edit: post VGA gain stage]. I'll try to take a moment to see what they are on my early board (different part numbering).

I've noticed that occasionally, going through the fine voltage calibration procedure can affect the apparent noise on a trace (Ch1 or 2), presumably whether the zero offset calibration point is spanning an ADC bit boundary or not. Just a thought.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:49:44 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #620 on: March 06, 2021, 08:03:15 pm »
@GYRO

Thank you for your feedback! No hurry about the resistor values in your vds1022 though. Just curious.

I came across Camomille's modification in post 538 of getting sensitivity to 2mV.
I am willing to try this, but am wondering, because there was no follow up on this. Hope Camomille is ok.

My question: will the sensitivity menu automatically add the 2mV value once the modification has been made?

The picture in post 538 does show it being there.

Any other input before I try this ....

Ah yes, I cannot get hold of smd resistors easily where I am. Would it be ok to use 1% metal film through hole ones instead?

Thank you.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #621 on: March 06, 2021, 09:49:37 pm »
I didn't remember Camomille's 2mV mod (although I clearly commented at the time). No, he hasn't posted since the beginning of last year. It looks as if he did get it working because he made the attenuator to calibrate it.

The mod changes the gain of the fixed stage after the variable gain stage so it would require re-calibrating all ranges. No it wouldn't automatically add the 2mV setting, that would require a (hopefully simple) modification to one of the .jar files. The calibration procedure is on Florent's page.

Yes, you could use through hole resistors as the AD603 and doesn't have a particularly fine lead pitch. You would want to solder one end to the still-secured Pin 7 before gently unsoldering and lifting pin 5 -  you would need to pre-form the leads of the resistor to closely meet up with pin 5 before soldering as you don't want to risk breaking it off by putting strain on it. A 1/8W resistor would be easier (smaller and thinner leads).
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #622 on: March 07, 2021, 12:45:09 am »
Thank you again for your reply GYRO!

I am way out of my depth to program in Java, so I will leave this modification for now.

Florentbr references to other re-labeled OWON devices on the github site.

I went to the Peaktech site which claims the vertical sensitivity of said device is 2mV.
They have quite a bit of software you can download there (also a developer kit, fwiw).

https://www.peaktech.de/productdetail/kategorie/pc-oszilloskope/produkt/p_1290.html

I did download it all and started up the Oscilloscope software, hoping it would have 2mV in the menu.

Alas, it does NOT. Hmmmm ...

Well, I certainly hope Camomille shows up again or maybe there is some other solution.

Cheers.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #623 on: March 07, 2021, 10:57:36 am »
I think that developer kit is for SCPI remote functionality (not sure, but it does include the SCPI reference document).

Alain does have a detailed table in Reply #534 where he worked out what attenuator gain setting is used for each range. It doesn't include a 2mV range though, and I'm not sure if he was using the same attenuator setting as the 5mV range and just using different ADC reading calibration.

There is the question of when background noise level makes a high sensitivity range pointless, but if the Peaktech version has a 2mV range, then it is probably still useable at that setting.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #624 on: March 10, 2021, 09:00:32 am »
For those who want to see correct Russian tips in the new cf12 release from  florentbr , as well as a corrected translation into Russian!
It is necessary unzip to replace the owon-vds-tiny-1.0.33-cf12.jar file in the installed shell with a new one, which also contains my button icons and also icons from Gyro.
To display the tips in Russian, you need unzip and replace the file shortcuts.htm at: Path to the installed shell \OwonVdsTiny\doc\tips_ru\
I will write florentbr a letter with all modified files attached. I also suggest Gyro send florentbr a set of their beautiful icons and suggest to include them in the new release? :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf