Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 236989 times)

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2016, 10:00:05 am »
Using these devices on a PC oscilloscope is a design mistake.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. The purpose of USB Isolation is to break the ground loop with the PC / mains ground and so to provide ground protection and improved noise rejection.

It's very rare that you would actually want to float the scope ground at an significantly high voltage... and if so, you would need to take other special precautions like insulating the case.  The DC-DC is rated for the SELV that would apply in safe usage and has a healthy HiPot rating (as does the USB isolator). You need to start looking very carefully at PCB creepage and clearance to think of using a scope above SELV.

@znww5: Thanks for posting the costings. Yes probably not worth the cost saving but very useful for retrofitting isolation at a later date (you just happen to have done it rather sooner than normal!  ;D ).
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2016, 01:19:54 pm »
I've noticed that there's a new version of the VDS1022 PC software on the Owon site, Version 1.0.23, dated 29th April 2016 (the previous one was version 1.0.11). I've downloaded and tried it and it seems to work fine. I haven't noticed any specific changes, although the response of the menu system definitely seems faster. Unfortunately there is no revision history provided.

It's always worth keeping a copy of the previous version installation file of course.

http://www.owon.com.hk/products_info.asp?ProID=175

P.S. I've also noticed that the s/w supports SCPI protocol for remote control, not sure how long that's been there.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:28:58 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline samsagaz

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »
Nice review! Btw, will this small oscilloscope be OK to measure and design simple audio amps? will be OK to check amplifier stages distortions and  see how looks the amplifier wave?

i used some old tektronix in the past, but i sell all my units because money problems. Now i want to purchase it again but as im not in the USA impossible to purchase used ones from ebay, so im looking some small (to save shippings fee to Argentina) that help me with simple audio gears :)

Thanks in advance.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2016, 01:02:22 pm »
Thanks samsagaz  :)

Yes sure, it will do a fine job visually checking audio signals for distortion, in much the same way as you would use an analogue scope (not sure if the Tek ones that you were referring to were analogue or digital). You can look for clipping, crossover distortions etc. If you get the USB isolated 'i' version you can avoid ground loops too.

You should note however that it is an 8 bit resolution scope (as are most DSOs, Rigol etc.) so you can't expect to measure low distortions using the FFT function. For high resolution distortion measurements you would need a 12 (or better, 16) bit scope. These are obviously in a different price range, but you could maybe also consider the Digilent Analog Discovery which I think is 12 bit. You could improve this situation by building a notch filter (Twin-T or similar) to attenuate the fundamental frequency of your test signal, so that you only see at the distortion products.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline jopereira

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2016, 03:27:53 pm »
OWON also have a 12bit scope (new in the range).

Offline samsagaz

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2016, 07:25:33 pm »
yeah, but dont have too much money :)

Offline fourtytwo

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2016, 06:32:19 pm »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just bought one of these largely based on this review (being the only one I found)

OK it works BUT!!!!! any timebase setting slower than 50mS/div gets the following warning from the trigger system.......

"When the time per divider longer than 100ms, trigger will be set default as auto mode."

And sure enough it wont lock the display just like an untriggered waveform in auto, even single shot doesn't work!!  In a word, useless!!

I have mailed Owon today, if I ever get a reply I will be sure to let you know.

This is not mentioned in there product specs or manuals anywhere.

So Sad, did I just half waste the £90 it cost me :(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2016, 08:26:12 pm »
Hi Roger and welcome to the forum,

Sorry if I missed something in my review. I haven't had cause to use mine at 100ms/div or slower and have never seen that message. I've just tried it and seen what you mean. No one else seems to have flagged it either. I can't think why that would be, clearly not a handling speed problem, the main concern on USB scopes is whether they can reliably handle their maximum rated speeds. I've just been back through my collection of earlier s/w versions (never throw anything away) and it doesn't appear to be a newly introduced issue.

At least at those sort of timebase settings you shouldn't have any difficulty following the trace, I agree though that the absence of single trigger at those settings is an issue. It does sound as if it is for your application.

The last s/w version that I have seen was released at the end of April (one thing that would be helpful would be a revision history since it jumped a few versions since the previous one), so it appears to be still in active development (and they have fixed an issue I reported just before Christmas). Please do report back on what the respond with. I may well report it too, strength in numbers and I don't like unnecessary restrictions.

P.S. I understand that you're a bit p**'d off, but the "!!!!WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!" seems a bit over the top, don't you think?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:28:41 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2016, 08:47:37 pm »
Isn't this just going into Roll mode, the addition of Roll in the UI having been lost in translation?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2016, 08:51:09 pm »
Could be. I only tried the S/W setting with the scope unplugged as I'm not in the 'playroom' at the moment.

Edit: It would still be helpful if the single trigger worked, I can't think of a reason why it couldn't.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:54:25 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2016, 08:56:44 pm »
Could be. I only tried the S/W setting with the scope unplugged as I'm not in the 'playroom' at the moment.

Edit: It would still be helpful if the single trigger worked, I can't think of a reason why it couldn't.
Yes, of course.
It still might if selected before slowing the timebase. This you need to check.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2016, 08:59:40 pm »
Nope, it does lock it out.
Best Regards, Chris

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2016, 09:10:35 pm »
Nope, it does lock it out.
Ok, if that's how the UI works on this DSO, do we now call it user error, a different implementation of triggering in the slow timebases or a bug?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2016, 09:27:46 pm »
Hmm, good question. I don't know how other DSOs do it.  :-// It doesn't seem like something to get all emotional about though.

I've just tried sending a question to the direct email that Owon were using to communicate with me when I reported a bug back in January. Maybe they will come back with something, or maybe even come in with a technical support rather than sales post, who knows.

Edit: Actually I do know how Picoscope do it, they offer a choice of scroll or refresh display, but they're in a different price bracket.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:30:19 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline fourtytwo

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2016, 09:24:22 am »
Hello, thanks for the replies! I think WARNING is fair given the scope has a fault!
If the triggering system doesn't work above 50mS/div it should say so in the spec.

Thank you for your rollback testing, this was most unexpected to me as I cannot see why they have a problem.

It is not unusual to use single shot at low speeds to capture events, even my 35yo 465 will happily trigger at its slowest timebase setting of 500mS/div and very useful too however its not a DSO.

Roll mode if you like to call it that is of no use whatsoever for random event capture unless you want to stare at the screen forever AND the display is still not precisely located around the event (due to variable human reaction time!).

Here's hoping they can fix it :)
Roger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2016, 09:47:13 am »
Hi Roger,

I guess it depends on situation, for some things a chart recorder type display might be preferable, personally I would prefer both options, I use an old Picoscope ADC216 for such applications (mainly because it's 16 bit so more applicable to slower, more accurate trend measurements).

I think WARNING is fair given the scope has a fault!

I guess we'll agree to differ on that one  ;) (edit): A warning sure, but "WARNING WARNING WARNING" (four dozen exclamation marks deleted)? Nah. Coming into a forum shouting and stomping doesn't usually create a good first impression. It doesn't look like a 'fault' as such, more an implementation decision, as tautech implied. Faults don't normally put up explanatory messages. As I said before, I'd like to see single trace trigger work, in conjunction with trigger position obviously so that you could see pre, post trigger information or both.

I had a reply from the previously helpful lady at Owon this morning...

I'm sorry,this feature is temporarily does not support, I have put this question feedback to our engineer,we will try to improve.
Thank  you !

The 'temporarily' gives some grounds for hope.  :)

Chris
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 10:11:07 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline fourtytwo

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2016, 06:31:29 pm »
Coming into a forum shouting and stomping doesn't usually create a good first impression.

I really couldn't care less what you think, I only signed in here to warn others who may be considering this product. Ban me or delete me I couldn't give a shit!!

As for you attitude that it may not be faulty, I hope you enjoy your next purchase that doesnt work to its published specification in some way that's important to you!

Goodbye and good riddance.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 06:54:41 pm »
At least I remained calm in the face of someone apparently citing my review as the reason for 'wasting' 45 quid and also tried to help you by submitting my own request to Owon in support of yours.

Maybe you could have hung around and contributed something positive to the forum.

Such is life I guess. ::)
Best Regards, Chris

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2016, 08:01:05 pm »
At least I remained calm in the face of someone apparently citing my review as the reason for 'wasting' 45 quid and also tried to help you by submitting my own request to Owon in support of yours.

Maybe you could have hung around and contributed something positive to the forum.

Such is life I guess. ::)
Right you did too.  :-+
You can point some in the right direction but they just don't get it.  ::)

My hint was Roll mode and Google would've provided him with the explanation he need to understand a modern DSO.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jopereira

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2016, 08:22:23 pm »
@gyro
I cancelled an Hantek 6022 order and bought this DSO after reading your review and others comments. You'll be responsible for my choice too as I'll have the best DSO money can buy in this price range.  ;)
Keep your contributions, they have helped many.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:57:23 pm by jopereira »

Offline Glapsvin

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2016, 12:46:38 am »
Thank you all for all the hard work to create this review.  I just ordered 1022I and can't wait to get my hands on it.
I'm very surprised how little information is available about that osciloscope.  :) if I run into anything not yet covered in the thread I will post it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:07 am »
@Glapsvin and jopereira,

Welcome to you both.Yes, please do report back on your experiences. It's always good to be able to add to the combined store of knowledge. As you say, apart from this thread there is very little information out there so the more feedback the better.   :)
Best Regards, Chris

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2016, 11:38:53 am »
I am sure that the Owon USB scope is miles better, faster and more robust, than the SmartScope from LabNation!

See my separate thread about the SmartScope from LabNation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:54:56 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline goldjohn

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2016, 12:31:35 pm »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just bought one of these largely based on this review (being the only one I found)

OK it works BUT!!!!! any timebase setting slower than 50mS/div gets the following warning from the trigger system.......

"When the time per divider longer than 100ms, trigger will be set default as auto mode."

And sure enough it wont lock the display just like an untriggered waveform in auto, even single shot doesn't work!!  In a word, useless!!

I have mailed Owon today, if I ever get a reply I will be sure to let you know.

This is not mentioned in there product specs or manuals anywhere.

So Sad, did I just half waste the £90 it cost me :(
You could always try screen capture software, which seems to work quite well, at least for mypurposes

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »
Hi goldjohn,

Sadly fourtytwo has long since left the building but your idea is a good one... although you would need to be there to witness the event.

You've reminded me to give Owon another poke (mentioning eevblog of course) about adding slower than 100ms/div single triggering. We'll see if there's any news, it's good to keep the pressure on anyway.

Edit: I get the impression that you're not a fan of the LabNation SmartScope, Pascal. :(   Maybe it would be useful to start a thread on it. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:31:05 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf