Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 125129 times)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2017, 02:31:01 pm »
- There's no difference in software between the isolated and non-isolated versions so no problem there.

- The Isolated version uses the same ADUM3160 usb full speed 12Mbps (not 480Mbps high speed) isolator IC that is used in the off-the-shelf isolators, so no problem there either. It runs quite happily at USB Full speed.

- The only potential problem is if the Isolator can't source enough power to drive the VDS1022 on the isolated side. It needs to be able to meet the USB 500mA power spec.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:33:17 pm by Gyro »
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2017, 03:05:07 pm »
- There's no difference in software between the isolated and non-isolated versions so no problem there.

- The Isolated version uses the same ADUM3160 usb full speed 12Mbps (not 480Mbps high speed) isolator IC that is used in the off-the-shelf isolators, so no problem there either. It runs quite happily at USB Full speed.

- The only potential problem is if the Isolator can't source enough power to drive the VDS1022 on the isolated side. It needs to be able to meet the USB 500mA power spec.
So I guess an isolator simply based on the ADUM3160 will do the job just perfectly fine?  ;) ^-^
"If you can't explain it simply (or at all), you don't understand it well enough." A. Einstein

http://www.oneworldconcepts.com/ | http://www.soundprojects.com

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2017, 03:18:35 pm »
Yes, ADUM3160 / ADUM4160. All you need to worry about is the size of the DC-DC converter in the isolator. The one inside the VDS1022I is rated at 2W.
Chris

Offline CatWhisker

• Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:37 am »
Anyway, as for the software, I did some fixes to my code and managed to make it work on OSX. Boring I know, somebody else already did this. However, my version should even work on Linux, including ARM devices (like a Raspberry for example, although I don't have any to test this on). It's also stopping to work after a while, and I'm not sure yet if it's because my code or because I have it connected through 2 hubs.

Cool! Post up the 'know how' then  :-+

Offline CatWhisker

• Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2017, 11:05:23 am »
Yes, that is the post. And yes, I've PM'd him directly. Thanks :)

Hey PJ,

I'll reply here as it might be useful for others too.

What version of OS X are you using? I'm on 10.11.6. I'm yet to try newer.

If you attach the scope after executing the app, does the app respond in any way?

CW.

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2017, 02:22:04 pm »
Hello All,

This is my first post and I greatly thank Gyro and the others for this thread.

I bought my VDS1022 due to the information put forth here and really appreciate the help cutting through the jungle of USB DSO's.
I found the isolated version very interesting, but I only have measurements on simple battery operated circuits.
I am very happy with my oscilloscope. It does what I need it for very well.

The criteria that were important to me:

1.) I could use it out in the field with no AC access

2.) Low hardware requirements for the host computer
(This was one of the main reasons. Most of the work is done
by the Hardware/Software in the oscilloscope itself as was detailed
in this thread - and in a way I could understand it  :D)

3.) Round 20 Mhz bandwidth
4.) Good price

Memory depth is good enough for my applications.

Since I don't want to lug a huge notebook around with me,
I tested the Owon software on my old netbook Acer Aspire before buying.
It has a 1.66 GHz Atom N450 CPU with 1 GB Ram.
It worked just fine without a hiccup.

I did try picoscope software on this netbook.
It stalls and hiccups with it. So a no-go for me in this case.

The software on the CD is version 1.0.24 from 10.11.2016
I have downloaded and am using the latest version from Owons website which is 1.0.27

Thank You all again!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

All the best, Nullarbor

The following users thanked this post: KeBeNe

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum Nullarbor, and thanks [Edit: for the detailed feedback].  Glad it worked out well for you - it's always nice to know when a teardown actually helps someone. :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:06:23 pm by Gyro »
Chris

Offline AmadeusMozart

• Contributor
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2017, 06:46:25 pm »
@Gyro : Many thanks for taking the time to post your view on the Owon VDS1022i. :clap: Based upon that I've ordered the non-USB isolated model, the VDS1022.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2017, 06:51:49 pm »
Welcome Herr Mozart (thought you were long dead!). Do report back once you get a chance to try it out.  :)
Chris

The following users thanked this post: AmadeusMozart

Offline wwh

« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2017, 05:17:21 am »
Hi everyone,

I founded this guy upgrade his scope to Isolated @20$ cost.

http://www.dalbert.net/?p=314

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2017, 06:07:47 pm »
Just a quick update.

I downloaded the latest software version for this scope.
I can't discern much difference except that the graphics are a bit different.
A pity they don't have a change log.

Here's a pic of the version I had and have now:

Yes, I am still pleased with my oscilloscope.

Have a great day, Nullarbor

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: October 02, 2017, 10:06:26 pm »
Thanks for pointing out the update Nullarbor, I hadn't seen it.

A typical Owon screw-up with the downloads...  :palm:

- Going via the support tab on the VDS product page downloads V1.0.27
- Going in via their 'Download Center' offers download of V1.0.28 but when I try to download it, AVG blocks it with a "URL:Mal" infection detected! (screenshot attached).

I've sent Owon a message through their support link, so hopefully they will fix it!

In the meantime, I found a copy of V1.0.28 on this Russian language support site:  https://technica-m.ru/support/type/soft
I've scanned the setup file with AVG and Malwarebytes but other members please use at your own risk! When installed, it gives exactly the same S/W build number as you posted.

The difference in graphics that you show is due to the Black skin being used rather than the Blue one (it can be changed at the top of the Utilities panel). Ironically the only difference I've found so far (versus V1.0.23) is that changing the skin setting seems to have been broken in V1.0.27 and then fixed again in V1.0.28! :wtf:

I agree, it's infuriating that they don't provide a change log!

Chris
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:09:06 pm by Gyro »
Chris

Offline MrSllez

« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »
I was thinking on buying this oscilloscope and would need some advice. I am from Slovenia, currently studying mehatronics (combination of electro, computer and mechanical science). In my free time I also work with microcontrollers, audio equipment (amplifiers) and ocessional other projects and repairs.

I have been wanting oscilloscope for some time now, and checked the forums for advice. I saw that a beginner should rather get an used scope, but the cheapest decent scope I can get used is a TEKTRONIX 2213 for 180 euro. The thing is that I live in a campus and go home by bus every weekend, so I would need something portable.

Would an OWON 1022I suit me well? I can get it for 105 euro from ebay. How good is the overall build quality? How good is the current software? Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline AmadeusMozart

• Contributor
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2017, 01:56:52 am »
I have been using my Owon VDS1022 (non insulated one) for audio purposes. I wasted a few days trying to find a problem with an amplifier that did not exist: normally when testing a new build a 1kHz square wave is used and the shape is studied. The wave exhibited considerable ripple suggesting some accidental oscillation. When I increased the frequency then at approx 7 kHz the square wave shape had completely disappeared and showed up as a sinus wave. Same thing happened with a triangular signal. At certain high frequencies the signal seemed to become unstable like it was triggering some parasitic oscillation. In the end an analog oscilloscope (genuine tube based) showed that these artifacts reside in the digital oscilloscope. Now that I know this it does not bother me but I would not advise to purchase a digital oscilloscope for high end audio work. Morgan Jones in his books is of the same opinion. Eventually digital oscilloscopes will become (or already are) good enough but at what price? For repair and adjusting (e.g. bias or phase inverters) I can get away with this cheap oscilloscope and it is far better than having no oscilloscope.

Hope this helps someone. AM

Edit 31 December 2017: The above is wrong - the square wave generated by a PC was the culprit, using the square wave from the Owon Oscilloscope itself  gives a perfect result and I now wonder about some ground interaction from the PC.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:37:26 am by AmadeusMozart »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2017, 10:57:49 am »
@AM: No, sorry, you've got something seriously screwy in your setup there. There's no way that it can't reproduce a clean 7kHz square wave (see attached)- it's not even breaking a sweat (12.5Msps). Maybe you can post more details of your setup, screenshots, scope setting etc. Thinking about the ripple at 1kHz, did you properly adjust the compensation of your scope probes?

P.S. Of course there's always going to be an issue measuring distortion characteristics of high-end audio components with any 8 bit resolution scope (I use a 16bit resoluton one myself for -90dB'ish level measurements), but being able to display decent sine, square and triangle waves isn't one of them. Morgan Jones (remember he was writing a while back now), recommended a minimum of 100Msps scope in order to be able to catch high frequency parasitic oscillations.

EDIT: For reference I have added a 700kHz squarewave. Function generator rise and fall times beginning to show (Spec'd at <35ns).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:02:33 pm by Gyro »
Chris

The following users thanked this post: AmadeusMozart

Offline arcnor

• Contributor
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2017, 08:10:02 am »
I'm not sure if my issue is the same that AmadeusMozart reported, but I'm seeing very strange behavior from the scope, that I hope can be fixed by some misconfiguration on my part (or maybe I just misunderstand something).

I have 2 signals generated by an Arduino. The pins are high for 4 seconds, then low for another 4.

However, this is what I see in my scope (attached, channel 2 goes through a resistor, hence the small amplitude).

Can somebody explain why I don't see a (very slow) square signal?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2017, 08:18:22 am »
I'm not sure if my issue is the same that AmadeusMozart reported, but I'm seeing very strange behavior from the scope, that I hope can be fixed by some misconfiguration on my part (or maybe I just misunderstand something).

I have 2 signals generated by an Arduino. The pins are high for 4 seconds, then low for another 4.

However, this is what I see in my scope (attached, channel 2 goes through a resistor, hence the small amplitude).

Can somebody explain why I don't see a (very slow) square signal?
Change the channel input coupling to DC and leave it there. AC coupling is only needed for viewing signals with a large DC offset.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline arcnor

• Contributor
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2017, 09:34:56 am »
Change the channel input coupling to DC and leave it there. AC coupling is only needed for viewing signals with a large DC offset.

You are of course right, thanks! I need to learn a lot :).

Offline phord

« Reply #218 on: December 25, 2017, 07:32:56 pm »
I just received the VDS1022I as a Christmas gift.  I haven't run Windows in years, though.  I'm trying to get the software to run on Linux, but having only bad luck.  I can load static captures but I can't connect to the USB interface via libUsbJava.   Has anyone got it working yet?

I'm a C++ engineer, but I can read and hack at Java sometimes.  I'm willing to help if someone needs it.

Offline arcnor

• Contributor
« Reply #219 on: December 25, 2017, 07:53:12 pm »
There is a repository that explains how to make it work on OSX, and there is also a ticket mentioning Debian (https://github.com/tinwhisker/Owen-VDS1022/issues/4).

I also started converting the source to a modern alternative (usb4java or similar) but got too many problems, so didn't finish it.

Hopefully that will help you to make it work

Offline AmadeusMozart

• Contributor
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2017, 12:33:06 am »
@Gyro

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the late reply.

I used the square wave from the Owon oscilloscope itself and that made the difference. It appears that the output from the square wave generated by the PC was the culprit.

I recently obtained on the local auctio website at a very reasoanable price an older distortion factor meter (only four and a half million people in New Zealand so not that much interest in test gear). Replaced two electrolytic capacitors in the power supply that had dried out and have had lots of fun with the Owon scope and the DFM. The DFM is a cheap way to measure the total noise figure of a tube amplifier - I can measure over -90dB which is good enough (for me). The non-insulated model VDS1022 has been very usefull and is imho a bargain (and the price seems to be dropping at the moment).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:31:28 am by AmadeusMozart »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2017, 11:45:13 am »
Glad you got it sorted and found the culprit!  :-+ ... and a good score on the distortion factor meter, it sounds as if you've got yourself a nice useable setup now.

If you're worried about PC ground loops (isn't everybody! ::)) then you could look at picking up a cheapish external USB isolator as an alternative to populating the internal PCB isolation components. We established earlier in the thread that both the isolated and non isolated versions use USB 'Full Speed' rather than 'High Speed' so are within the capabilities of the ADUM3160/4160 based ones (ADUM3160 is what is fitted internally on the 'I' version). These isolators look to be around the $10 mark from China now... https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=usb+isolator&_sop=15

The only issue you might see is their supply current capability. The isolated DC-DC converter inside the 1022I is rated at 2W, the cheap isolators look like they might be only 1W. If it's a problem you could either do a little surgery and patch on a 2W DC-DC, or alternatively hook in a regulated 5V from an isolated power brick the power the scope side.

Just a thought.

Edit: I just heard on the radio that New Zealand was the first country to celebrate the New Year (probably not for the first time! :D). A Happy New Year to you, we still have 11.5 hours to go!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:28:35 pm by Gyro »
Chris

Offline AmadeusMozart

• Contributor
« Reply #222 on: January 01, 2018, 12:16:02 am »
If you're worried about PC ground loops (isn't everybody! ::)) then you could look at picking up a cheapish external USB isolator as an alternative to populating the internal PCB isolation components. We established earlier in the thread that both the isolated and non isolated versions use USB 'Full Speed' rather than 'High Speed' so are within the capabilities of the ADUM3160/4160 based ones (ADUM3160 is what is fitted internally on the 'I' version). These isolators look to be around the $10 mark from China now... https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=usb+isolator&_sop=15
There are interfaces that provide a DC feed

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Low-noise-USB-Isolator-short-circuit-protection-ADUM4160-Hifi-JTAG-isolation/112195970923?hash=item1a1f66a76b:g:3AUAAOSwPgxVL63g

However having "grown up" with tube oscilloscopes I do not worry about the isolation. And since I am using a laptop if it is really needed then I can disconnect the laptop from everything else and cover the Owon to protect against touching and then I can use it at a floating level. I'll also be like the Chinese and then use white cotton gloves as an extra attempt against accidentally touching bare metal.

Edit: I just heard on the radio that New Zealand was the first country to celebrate the New Year (probably not for the first time! :D). A Happy New Year to you, we still have 11.5 hours to go!

Happy New year and best wishes for 2018
Marinus
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:18:04 am by AmadeusMozart »

Offline eevmike

« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:24 pm »
My thanks to everyone for this thread.  I was looking at the Hantek and now will certainly go with the OWON instead.

- Mike

Offline VitaliyKrym

• Contributor
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2018, 02:44:45 pm »
Just bought the VDS1022.
Could not get steady picture on screen. Like no trigger.
Somehow the U12 is not installed. Just empty spot.
After I connect 110VAC via 10:1 probe I had BOOM. Is result my computer is dead (MB, SSD,HDD), on the oscilloscope board jumpers R105, R103 and R90 exploded. No other visible damages.
I replaced them with 10ohm resistors for safety reason. Now on board side it shows 0.3 ohm.
Any idea if it is still possible to fix? What should I check next?
Board is Ver 1.4

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf