Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 234911 times)

Offline Riaj159

Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2019, 04:57:05 am »
Currently owon vds1022 got new competitor, "hantek 2c42" !!!

Offline Pnoxi

• Contributor
« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2019, 06:34:39 pm »
I do not have a "hantek 2C42", but I was thinking about buying it.
After watching the videos I was discouraged, transferring to PC via USB "was very slow"  :-\

I do not know Polish, but here's a video.
https://youtu.be/7pM64TIJSes?t=244
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:41:49 pm by PNOXI »

Offline martinloren2

« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2019, 12:48:04 am »
...transferring to PC via USB "was very slow"  :-\

What kind of processing would require you to transfer data to the PC? Do you think you would benefit of real-time samples transfer via wifi?

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2019, 09:51:45 pm »
It's triggering capabilities are distinctly limited compared to the Owon too. Not to mention very similar sample rate (drops to 125MHz for dual channel) and smaller (than the already small Owon) buffer - only 3k samples dual channel.

Yes it's handheld, but things like decent triggering matter.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Riaj159

« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2019, 04:14:50 pm »
here is the detail review of hantek 2D42 oscilloscope,  
I agree with gyro this one is no way compare able with Owon vds series except being the handheld device. pc software also almost not useable compared to owon software. hantek 2D42 has single channel 125MS/s sampling and by time interleaving, hantek 2D42 able to manage 250MS/s. maybe same theory has applied on Owon VDS2052 ( 50 MHz 250MS/s) too, as Owon VDS1022 and VDS2052 has same origin and also has same software but different FPGA bitstream, maybe inserting some unpopulated component (reverse engineering required) & uploading the FPGA bitstream of Owon VDS2052 on the VDS1022 might convert Owon VDS1022 into VDS2052  ::) .On owon VDS software I have tried replacing VDS1022_FPGA_V3.5.bin file with vds2052_FPGA_v1.0.11.bin & after connecting my VDS1022, FPGA bitstream upload was successful on the VDS1022. At that time no input signal was given & my VDS1022 was plotting signal incorrectly. After disconnecting and reuploading original FPGA bitstream (VDS1022_FPGA_V3.5.bin) it was all right once again.

Offline siggi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #280 on: January 21, 2019, 12:08:15 am »
I'm trying to figure out how the Hantek could ever be battery operated, as the manual leads with this sage advice: "Ground the product. This product is grounded through the grounding conductor of the power cord. To avoid electric shock, the grounding conductor must be connected to earth ground. Before making connections to the input or output terminals of the product, ensure that the product is properly grounded".
The USB charger in the video only has two prongs, so that won't be supplying the ground for the device, so the scope would only be grounded through a USB->Computer connection under normal circumstances. Weirdness?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2019, 08:49:43 am »
I suggest starting a new thread for the Hantek 2D42 - This stuff is really getting off topic with regard to the Owon VDS1022(I).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:51:30 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline waste

• Contributor
« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2019, 12:22:04 pm »
I ordered the standard (non I) model and then I ordered a USB isolator for 9euros

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500V-USB-to-USB-Isolator-Board-Protection-Isolation-ADUM4160-ADUM3160-Module-USB-2-0/32791327590.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.38252e0eQ5C8Xc

and a 2watt 5V dc-dc power supply for 3 euros to replace the 1watt that is installed

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-B0505S-2W-DIP-4-DC-DC-B0505S-2W-SIP-4-B0505S-2WR2/32903740245.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2cde4c4dPJNVOH

This way I will have an isolator for more than one USB devices and the price difference was well worth the extra effort (60euros for the non isolated model and 90 for the isolated one).

thanks to everybody for the very informative comments

PS the laptop power supply I use doesn't have a ground cable, but better be safe than sorry. I always use a hands off approach when testing potentially dangerous Voltages, but I would like my osciloscope or my old laptop to also not die, hands off or not :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:30:25 pm by waste »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2019, 01:09:16 pm »
That was a good solution - saving some money in exchange for a little searching and rework effort.  :-+

Having a laptop with a 2 pin mains adapter (no ground) actually makes your USB Isolator more useful, not less. It will block any 'Y-Cap leakage current' from your laptop adapter from reaching your (potentially sensitive) circuit under test.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline waste

• Contributor
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2019, 11:05:13 am »
That was a good solution - saving some money in exchange for a little searching and rework effort.  :-+

Having a laptop with a 2 pin mains adapter (no ground) actually makes your USB Isolator more useful, not less. It will block any 'Y-Cap leakage current' from your laptop adapter from reaching your (potentially sensitive) circuit under test.

thanks Gyro, I never thought the Y-Cap (little blue pill) leakage could have any effect, but when it comes to oscilloscopes I'm a total newbie, that's why I stick to these threads here.

I read your comments on readings taken from devices connected to mains, and I would like to ask/debate a few ideas (regarding transformerless drivers, isolator transformer etc), but I don't want to clutter the OWON thread with off topic stuff, so If I can pester you somewhere else I would be greatful.

As for the OWON, I just received today, Im still waiting for the 2w dc-dc converter to finish my isolated Osciloscope project

• Super Contributor
« Reply #285 on: January 24, 2019, 11:56:12 am »
There are quite a few threads on the benefits / shortcomings of Isolation Transformers and RCD/GFIs for shock protection in different situations. It's a bit of a contentions subject - safety is always an issue when trying to scope mains connected or high voltage circuits. A forum search will reveal many, but one I would recommend reading is  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/rcd-or-isolation-transformer-what-is-best-to-use-for-safety/. It might be a thread worth reviving with any specific questions.

There's also Dave's video on how not to blow up your scope...
https://youtu.be/xaELqAo4kkQ

Obviously you have an advantage with a USB isolated VDS1022. The key things to remember are that the ground clips of both channel probes are connected together, and they are also directly connected to the metal sleeve of the case. The other thing to remember is that regardless of any ground isolation, you always have the limit of the maximum voltage input and scope probe voltage ratings (relative to the ground clips) to beware of.

Hoping to hear that your USB Isolator mod works as expected.  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:57:45 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: waste

Offline waste

• Contributor
« Reply #286 on: January 24, 2019, 01:00:36 pm »
hehe thanks, I have seen this video like 3 times already to be extra sure I got all the tricks. Thanks also for the link about the debate on isolation transformers, I will also read it very carefully (I just made myself one from old transistors, but I m still somewhat shy to use it),

and I will post my results on the cheaply isolated Owon once I have everything put together (I still miss the 2w dc-dc).

PS gyro another thanks from me the thread you showed me is exactly what I wanted to read.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:09:56 pm by waste »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline danno_cj

« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2019, 05:22:54 pm »
I tested with my USB meter power needed to work my 1022I. It draw power from short part cable of Y cable found on the box. The value show on my meter is 640mA, so it best to use Y cable that came with 1022 and both ends inserted in sockets. It may not work properly with one usb. For those who want to mod 1022 to isolated version keep in mind the need of power requirement when other power IC is used.

Offline waste

• Contributor
« Reply #288 on: January 31, 2019, 10:47:23 pm »
I tested with my USB meter power needed to work my 1022I. It draw power from short part cable of Y cable found on the box. The value show on my meter is 640mA, so it best to use Y cable that came with 1022 and both ends inserted in sockets. It may not work properly with one usb. For those who want to mod 1022 to isolated version keep in mind the need of power requirement when other power IC is used.

Thanks but 650mA is 3Watts, which contradicts what others have found inside the OWON 1022i ie a 2Watt Dc-Dc isolator. Im still waiting for the Dc-DC converter but I promise a full report when I get it :)

Offline DDunfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2019, 01:21:12 am »

Thanks but 650mA is 3Watts, which contradicts what others have found inside the OWON 1022i ie a 2Watt Dc-Dc isolator. Im still waiting for the Dc-DC converter but I promise a full report when I get it :)

My VDS1022I measures about 360ma when first connected (before software loads it), and about 420-430ma once the software loads it and it's up and running.
Draw doesn't change much between stopped and acquiring, or even when changing channel input level between settings where you can hear a relay click.

Not measured with a precision meter, just a cheap "USB Tester" which I have confirmed previously to be reasonably close. It only has a resolution to 0.01A.

I've not had problems running it from a single USB port, although I normally use a dual USB-A male to single USB-B Mini male with USB Mini-B female to USB-A male adapter to connect to the scope (standardized on USB Mini cables with adapters in my laptop bag).

Dave

Offline waste

• Contributor
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2019, 08:25:04 pm »
I managed to solder the 2Watt DC-DC on the usb isolator in the place of the 1watt  but it still drops the voltage to 4V with 250mA so the scope doesn't turn on, even though the specs say it should provide stable 5V up until 400mA  :)
I added two capacitors but still the same :)
Next step is putting 2x 2watt DC-DC in parallel. I know it's not recommended most of the times but I ordered a second one just in case and I have it around so why not try it :)

I ll keep you posted with new results :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2019, 09:06:34 pm »
The VDS1022I uses a TI DCP02 Isolated DC-DC. Maybe try one of those?

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dcp020505.pdf
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Florin235

« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:32 pm »
Hello, after I read this thread, about a month ago I decided to purchase the non-isolated version. Couple of days ago the scope arrived and today I connected it, ran a calibration, connected and compensated the probes. Everything worked without a problem.
I also wanted to perform the tests on the first page of this thread to see how noisy my particular setup was. I do not have the BNC terminations so I left channel inputs open(no probes). One problem that I encountered though was that I could not access the lowest vertical sensitivity setting, namely 5mV/div, specified for both VDS1022/VDS1022(I), in software; the lowest I could go was 50mV/div as can be seen from the screenshot.
The rest of the settings(trigger, horizontal, display, etc.), they all seem to be OK.
Has  anybody else with the non-isolated version of the scope encountered this problem?
Could it be a software problem? I mention that I have run S/W v1.0.30 from both the supplied CD and website with the same issue.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #293 on: March 21, 2019, 08:25:26 pm »
Hi, Welcome to the forum.  :)

Looking good. I think the reason you can't select the 5mV/div range is that the you still have the probe attenuation factor set to X10 (In the Channel menu, rather badly named as "Probe Rate").

You effectively already have it set to 5mV/div input sensitivity, the readout measurements are just 10 times too high.

P.S. Don't forget to set the attenuation factor back to X10 before using your X10 probes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:30:53 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline tomik

« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2019, 01:23:31 am »
Hi,
just like Waste and Florin235, I recently bought VDS1022 (non isolated) and DC-DC isolated USB converter (the same as Waste). The scope works very well, even with software running in virtual machine (host Linux OpenSuse and Windows10 in VirtualBox vm). But I had the same problem with USB converter as Waste. After a small investigation  |O, I found the cause. This device is surprisingly well designed. It has 500mA resettable fuse on input side. It's too low for our scopes. Ideally it should be replaced with bigger one, for example 750mA.  I did not have anything suitable at hand and eventually I bypassed the fuse. After that the scope started works through converter.

Tomek

Offline Florin235

« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2019, 09:53:48 am »
Thank you Gyro, that got everything back in order with my vertical scale :-+. I guess I just got carried away by some negative assumptions and simply forgot to change the amplification factor from x10 to x1.
I did the tests once more and they look the same as your tests on the first page; well more or less the same.

And no, I won't forget to put it back to x10 once I connect the 10x probes again ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2019, 10:26:24 am »
 :-+ It looks pretty good for unterminated inputs.
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: April 26, 2019, 10:48:45 am »
I've been playing around a bit more with the UI and thought it was probably time to update the shortcuts into a single list, including the ones documented in the help file. Most of the shortcuts below are still undocumented.

Screen Shortcuts:

The numbers tie up to the annotations on the Screenshot below (as before):

(1) Clicking on the small arrow directly brings up the measurement cursors menu for time and / or voltage.

(2) Clicking on the small '+' icon (only appears when the mouse pointer is in the measurements area) immediately brings up the measurements selection menu.

(3) Clicking on either of the channel numbers immediately brings up the channel settings menu (Double clicking anywhere on the box also brings up the channel setting menu).

(4) Volts/div selection, Clicking brings up a normal popup+slider However if you just hover the mouse over it instead you can use the scroll wheel to increment/decrement directly, much quicker.

(5) Clicking here toggles between DC / AC / GND for that channel.

Additional, hovering in either of the channel boxes also brings up a small 'x' icon to turn off the channel. Clicking in a greyed out channel box will turn it on again. (couldn't show this and (2) at the same time).

(6) Clicking in the 'T' box brings up a slider for trigger position. It's normally easier just to drag the red trigger position flag at the top of the screen, but the 'T' box click also brings up a useful 'Reset' button to restore to the middle.

(7) Time/div... Similar operation to the V/div. Clicking brings up the pop-up/slider but mouse-over and scroll wheel changes the value directly.

(8 ) Clicking toggles the trigger source between Chan1, Chan2 and Ext (trigger marker on right hand edge of screen changes color to match).

(9) Clicking toggles trigger polarity, works on edge, slope and pulse (icon changes to match trigger type). In Video trigger mode it toggles Odd, Even, Line etc.

(10) Click to alter trigger level - Actually it's far easier and more accurate to drag the trigger marker on the right hand side if the screen, but clicking here also brings up two useful buttons to 'Reset' the trigger level and 'Set to 50%'.

-  Obviously clicking the Trigger button takes you straight to the Trigger menu.

Keyboard Shortcuts:

- <Space>  brings up (or closes) the last menu selected - the same as clicking the Menu (Home) button. (Undocumented)

- When in numeric popups (V/div, T/div, number key will cycle through values for that number. eg. Pressing 2 will cycle 2us 20us, 200us, 2ms etc. (Undocumented)

- It will take the first letter of a menu item to select, eg. Trigger mode will take E, S, V, P etc. This seems to happen even after you've shifted focus. Shame it doesn't do the same thing for numerical inputs on the trigger holdoff. (Undocumented)

- Q Increase the Vertical sensitivity of Channel 1 (Documented).

- A Decrease the Vertical sensitivity of Channel 1 (Documented).

- W Increase the Vertical sensitivity of Channel 1 (Documented).

- S Decrease the Vertical sensitivity of Channel 1 (Documented).

- Left Arrow: Decrease the Timebase (Documented).

- Right Arrow: Increase the Timebase (Documented).

- F1  Help (Documented).

- F5  Run / Stop (Documented).

- <Ctrl> Enter:  Autoset (Documented).

- <Ctrl> L (upper or lower case) Invokes "tune" mode. Apparently a diagnostic mode which displays, in the bottom left corner:' fps' (frames per second), 'cmd' (commands pending? always reads zero on mine), 'wfs' (waveforms per second?), and 'pts' (points?).  The only way to exit this mode seems to be to exit and restart. (Undocumented, may be useful to someone).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:56:17 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: DDunfield, danno_cj, sx57

Offline spford

« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2019, 02:38:26 pm »
Hello.
I am going to buy a VDS1022i for measuring noise several USB Chargers(hobby).
I would like to receive your help and i have some questions.

1. What is the latest hardware version of the VDS1022i?
(Eg, Rev 1.5 or Rev 1.6 or Rev 1.7, ETc)

2. Which of the P2060 or P7060 probes are included in the VDS1022i?
(Some say P2060, others say P7060(with photo))

3. Which is the better probe?
(P2060 is up to 200 voltage at x1, P7060 is 300 up to voltage at x1. it seem that another spec are same.)

I would appreciate a reply. :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:43:08 am by spford »

Offline AmadeusMozart

« Reply #299 on: May 23, 2019, 12:32:18 pm »
I bought a Siglent SDS-1104E oscilloscope. Subsequently the Owon was sold off. But the Siglent did not stay very long - the noise of the fan got to me and it was overkill for what I needed.  Plus my health took a sharp down turn again which did not help. Recently I had the need for an oscilloscope and I bought the Picscope 2204A instead. The big advantage for me is that it does what I want and it has a build in AWG. Square wave is not perfect but still useable. I thought about an Owon again but I could never get it to work under Windows Server 2016 that I am running yet the Picoscope 2204A happily does (athough a year ago I was told it would not work under Windows server). For me the extra cost in respect to the Owon is well worth it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:34:34 pm by AmadeusMozart »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf