Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 234930 times)

Offline crai

Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #450 on: November 21, 2019, 07:27:00 pm »
Hi Gyro, thanks for the reply.
Version 1.0.24 contains the source code and I downloaded it from the Peaktech site (peaktech.de), whose 1290 model is the Owon VDS1022 (rebranded). (https://www.peaktech.de/detalle-del-producto/kategorie/pc-oszilloskope/produkt/p_1290.html)
The only difference in Peaktech software with that of Owon is the logo and configuration files uppersoft.dso.prefs.default.ini that contain the texts and url of the About window. I overwritten these files with those of Owon.
I have not got an original version 1.0.23, the ones I have are modified. Comparing them with 1.0.24 it seems that the changes are minimal (most seem to be changes made by third parties to the version 1.0.23 that I got). If you know of a link to an original version 1.0.23 available to download, I would like to indicate it, so I can compare it with 1.0.24.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #451 on: November 21, 2019, 08:03:51 pm »
I do not recall whether this useful resource, which also has modified versions of the shell, was mentioned VDS1022  :)
https://github.com/florentbr/Owon-VDS1022

The following users thanked this post: common_ground

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #452 on: November 21, 2019, 08:04:32 pm »
Version 1.0.24 contains the source code and I downloaded it from the Peaktech site (peaktech.de), whose 1290 model is the Owon VDS1022 (rebranded). (https://www.peaktech.de/detalle-del-producto/kategorie/pc-oszilloskope/produkt/p_1290.html)
The only difference in Peaktech software with that of Owon is the logo and configuration files uppersoft.dso.prefs.default.ini that contain the texts and url of the About window. I overwritten these files with those of Owon.
I have not got an original version 1.0.23, the ones I have are modified. Comparing them with 1.0.24 it seems that the changes are minimal (most seem to be changes made by third parties to the version 1.0.23 that I got). If you know of a link to an original version 1.0.23 available to download, I would like to indicate it, so I can compare it with 1.0.24.

It's a confusing world. :palm:  I had no idea that the Peaktech was an Owon rebrand!

Yes sure, I have uploaded my archive of all original Owon versions in captivity to  https://ufile.io/3mgf30c5 (use the free download button, valid for 30 days).
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: common_ground

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: November 21, 2019, 08:10:51 pm »
I do not recall whether this useful resource, which also has modified versions of the shell, was mentioned VDS1022  :)

A working native linux version? I didn't realize anyone had fixed the FPGA image download problem. That's good news.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline crai

« Reply #454 on: November 21, 2019, 09:33:00 pm »
Thank you very much Gyro for the full repository of installers.
Comparing the source codes of version 1.0.23 and 1.0.24 are practically the same. Only in method wrPos0 of class com.owon.uppersoft.vds.source.comm.Submitor2.java
add 3 lines of code that seem to adapt the V/div scale automatically in some situation.
      if (pos0 > 225 || pos0 < -225) {
         v = v + 1;
      }

Thanks again

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline common_ground

« Reply #455 on: November 21, 2019, 10:11:57 pm »

Native linux version :-+. Just tried on Mint Linux 19.1 and it work. :clap:
Excellent finding indman and many thanks to florentbr.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #456 on: November 22, 2019, 01:54:33 pm »
Hi!
I really like the additions florentbr has made, especially the new hotkeys are convenient. You can see that he did a lot of work to improve the shell.
I will try to combine all the tips that are collected in this topic into one archive. :)

Offline topol

« Reply #457 on: November 24, 2019, 09:50:42 am »
I tested USB isolator based on ADUM4160 with VDS1022I.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32909293430.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4a6d73d0WWRYdv&algo_pvid=5bd4a6ec-78d8-4367-b985-da6000cf8f4d&algo_expid=5bd4a6ec-78d8-4367-b985-da6000cf8f4d-1&btsid=cc875904-9ad3-45a3-b688-a786dd8d88a9&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_55

This design allows external power supply of the oscilloscope from the power bank and saves the notebook battery. You need to use high quality and short USB cables. When used as an insulator it is necessary to place the power bank together with the module in an insulated box.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: November 26, 2019, 09:47:27 pm »
@indman:

Sorry to report a minor bug in your portable s/w version, that you linked in reply#450.  :(

In playing around, I noticed that with the probes shorted and sensitivity set to 5mV/div (Probe x1 setting), the CH1 trace had virtually no noise compared to CH2. By tying the probes together, I found that instead of 5mV/div it is actually selecting 500mV/div. This is duplicated on the other probe multiplier settings (eg. 5V instead of 50mV on probe X10 etc.).

One other thing I noticed is that I was getting voltage offsets at zero signal on various ranges, which I hadn't seen previously - even after Factory Reset and Self Cal. Then I remembered you saying that you had manually tuned your scope for maximum accuracy on voltage readings....

After some experimenting, I found that both \flash_text\flashmemory.txt  and \configuration\com.owon.uppersoft.dso\pref.properties seem to be involved in storage of calibration data. Copying both files from my previous (camomille) installation restored the zero offsets.

I am not surprised that your portable snapshot would contain calibration data for your specific unit, what did surprise me is that Factory Reset and Self Cal didn't completely resolve it - curious. The good thing is that these two files appear to hold all of the relevant calibration data - I don't think anything gets stored in Flash on the unit.

I am still trying to figure out the difference between the 'Zero Amplitude' and [EDIT: 'Zero Offset' 'Zero Compensation'] tabs in the calibration screen. I suspect that one is for AC coupled and the other for DC but haven't established that yet.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:56:54 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #459 on: November 26, 2019, 10:23:55 pm »
I tested USB isolator based on ADUM4160 with VDS1022I.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32909293430.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4a6d73d0WWRYdv&algo_pvid=5bd4a6ec-78d8-4367-b985-da6000cf8f4d&algo_expid=5bd4a6ec-78d8-4367-b985-da6000cf8f4d-1&btsid=cc875904-9ad3-45a3-b688-a786dd8d88a9&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_55

This design allows external power supply of the oscilloscope from the power bank and saves the notebook battery. You need to use high quality and short USB cables. When used as an insulator it is necessary to place the power bank together with the module in an insulated box.

Welcome to the forum topol,

A good idea, as most cheap USB isolators don't have enough DC-DC converter wattage. It also allows you the opportunity to feed a quieter supply to the scope (although the supplies are well regulated).
Best Regards, Chris

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #460 on: November 27, 2019, 07:50:40 am »
@indman:
Sorry to report a minor bug in your portable s/w version, that you linked in reply#450.
After some experimenting, I found that both \flash_text\flashmemory.txt  and \configuration\com.owon.uppersoft.dso\pref.properties seem to be involved in storage of calibration data. Copying both files from my previous (camomille) installation restored the zero offsets.

I am not surprised that your portable snapshot would contain calibration data for your specific unit, what did surprise me is that Factory Reset and Self Cal didn't completely resolve it - curious. The good thing is that these two files appear to hold all of the relevant calibration data - I don't think anything gets stored in Flash on the unit.

Gyro ,Thank you for the useful information. I am also surprised that selfcalibration and return to factory reset  failed to return the original installations for scope.

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #461 on: November 30, 2019, 10:01:04 pm »
@indman:

Sorry to report a minor bug in your portable s/w version, that you linked in reply#450.  :(

In playing around, I noticed that with the probes shorted and sensitivity set to 5mV/div (Probe x1 setting), the CH1 trace had virtually no noise compared to CH2. By tying the probes together, I found that instead of 5mV/div it is actually selecting 500mV/div. This is duplicated on the other probe multiplier settings (eg. 5V instead of 50mV on probe X10 etc.).
... rest of quote deleted by me for clarity

This has animated me to follow up on this and to take some screenshots.
This bug you are talking about - I seem to have always had, no matter which software version. I didn't realise this at first as a rookie.
I thought it was the probes or a slightly skewed input channel in the oscilloscope.

Swapping the probes doesn't change anything. It is definitely just CH2.

The traces are in 5 second persistance mode. It is much easier to see that way. CH1 is set at 1div and CH2 at 0div.
Hope this helps in some way. If any "experiments" with the oscilloscope are needed, throw 'em at me, I'm in the mood ...

Ah, yes, nearly forgot the pics.

Cheers!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: November 30, 2019, 10:32:19 pm »
Curious.

No I don't think the bug has always been there - see the screenshots that I posted back in 2015 (Hey this thread is useful  :D) in reply #2 and #3, I also had measurements turned on...  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-vds1022i-quick-teardown-(versus-the-hantek-6022be)/msg739874/#msg739874

I forgot to note which version I was running back then but I'd lay odds that it was V1.0.23 or earlier.

Time for some version investigation again. Luckily I have them all (as do camomille and indman now.)  ;)

EDIT: I'm confused now, I've just been back to V1.0.4 and am still seeing it. It's got me wondering if something has got modified in the hardware configuration!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 10:41:40 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2019, 12:45:30 am »

It's a confusing world. :palm:  I had no idea that the Peaktech was an Owon rebrand!

Yes sure, I have uploaded my archive of all original Owon versions in captivity to  https://ufile.io/3mgf30c5 (use the free download button, valid for 30 days).

I just looked at the specifications of the Peaktech1290. The vertical sensitivity appears to be better.
2mV/div as compared to 5mV/div for the OWON. A typo maybe, cheeky marketing ...?
This has me wondering if it is real. I would like some more sensitivity on my VDS1022 ...

Offline Nullarbor

• Contributor
« Reply #464 on: December 01, 2019, 12:58:57 am »
Curious.

No I don't think the bug has always been there - see the screenshots that I posted back in 2015 (Hey this thread is useful  :D) in reply #2 and #3, I also had measurements turned on...  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-vds1022i-quick-teardown-(versus-the-hantek-6022be)/msg739874/#msg739874

I forgot to note which version I was running back then but I'd lay odds that it was V1.0.23 or earlier.

Time for some version investigation again. Luckily I have them all (as do camomille and indman now.)  ;)

EDIT: I'm confused now, I've just been back to V1.0.4 and am still seeing it. It's got me wondering if something has got modified in the hardware configuration!

Uh oh, hope I didn't start a wild goose chase. The screenshots from my previous post are from the GYRO special as I call it now. Thats the version 1.0.23 you made with colorful icons and the button for easy saving of screenshots. I really love it! Thank you for making it.

I just installed version 1.0.29 and made a screenshot again with no probes attached. Also a new screenshot of GYRO special v1.0.23
also without probes. The infinite persistance mode does not seem to work, pixels keep disappearing. Seems more like 5 second mode.

I originally started with version 1.0.26 which was on the CD I received with the scope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2019, 02:39:46 pm »
Right, I've got a handle on it now (I think). The bug got fixed in V1.0.29...  V1.0.28 shows the wrong Ch1 5mV scaling factor, V1.0.29 and V1.0.30 do it correctly.

Phew, I was beginning to think that something in my scope was permanently screwed there!   :phew:

Given that @indman took his libraries from V1.0.30 to go with the modified V1.0.23, the error must be in the main code. @camomille would have automatically had the bug because he worked from the V1.0.23 sources.

Another one for my 'Owon substitute changelog'.  |O

If you want my previous versions archive, it is still active and looks as if it has about 20 days still to run: https://ufile.io/3mgf30c5. Please feel free to double check me.

P.S. Once you have installed once (drivers), you don't need to keep re-installing each version - you can just unzip (7zip works) each OWON_VDS_C2_1.0.xx_Setup.exe into a separate folder and run it from there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:49:25 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2019, 04:55:22 pm »
P.S. Once you have installed once (drivers), you don't need to keep re-installing each version - you can just unzip (7zip works) each OWON_VDS_C2_1.0.xx_Setup.exe into a separate folder and run it from there.
Yes, you are right - there is no need to install a fresh version every time. It is essentially portable if USB drivers are already installed. I tracked on a clean computer what keys this program puts on the register. It leaves nothing essential on the register. I attached the screenshot below. So does the question remain who was the ancestor of this shell - OWON or PeakTech?
I am now using a version from florentbr(base v1.0.30) with additions that have already been discussed here. I also wrote a letter to florentbr thanking him and invited him to take part in this topic. But I haven 't received a response from him yet.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:30:13 pm by indman »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2019, 05:55:48 pm »
So does the question remain who was the ancestor of this shell - OWON or PeakTech?
Good question - OWON are certainly the OEM for the Hardware (I think Peaktech is a rebrand) but as for the original stack....  I still wonder where the Uppersoft reference comes from in the folder tree?*

I am now using a version from florentbr(base v1.0.30) with additions that have already been discussed here. I also wrote a letter to florentbr thanking him and invited him to take part in this topic. But I haven 't received a response from him yet.

Good idea, he seems to have put a lot of work in on it... and having a working linux version! :-+   I'm having trouble installing on win7 64bit though, the script doesn't work for me. I have Java V8 installed but it doesn't seem to see it and its attempt to download it fails.

I suspect that the Ch1 5mV bug on V1.0.28 and lower is probably a simple typo but probably beyond my skills.

EDIT: * Owon certainly have the capability of modifying the s/w (doesn't everyone these days? ;D), they fixed a bug for me on one of the early versions, but they took their time about it and had to send me a couple of test versions before it was fixed and they have been somewhat accident prone over the various versions.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:04:34 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2019, 06:28:14 pm »
I'm having trouble installing on win7 64bit though, the script doesn't work for me. I have Java V8 installed but it doesn't seem to see it and its attempt to download it fails.
Yes, the script of installing the version on the Win7x64 at me also did not work correctly. He told me about an error creating a shell start shortcut. So I made it easier - opened install-win.cmd and looked at the conditions that are needed to create this shortcut.
It has such a long text on my computer:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaw.exe" -Djava.library.path="C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\OwonVdsTiny\lib" -Duser.dir="C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\OwonVdsTiny\etc" -cp "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\OwonVdsTiny\jar\*" "com.owon.vds.tiny.Main"
After creating such a shortcut, the program starts normally. ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2019, 10:48:16 pm »
@indman:

Thanks, I finally got it working. For some reason I had to install the 64bit version of Java too before the script would recognize that it was installed!

Like you, I had to manually create the shortcut - it works both with the x86 version of Java and the 64 bit. It all took a while - I am not as quick on the uptake as I used to be!

Unfortunately this version misses the one function that started the discussion with camomille (a few pages back) and prompted his interest in learning and modifying the Java code - that was making the save button on the main screen save a graphic image file, rather than a text file.   :D
Best Regards, Chris

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #470 on: December 02, 2019, 06:12:39 am »
Unfortunately this version misses the one function that started the discussion with camomille (a few pages back) and prompted his interest in learning and modifying the Java code - that was making the save button on the main screen save a graphic image file, rather than a text file.   :D
This is easily added(compilation is unnecessary) after the respected camomille explained everything in Reply # 449
Replace files in owon-vds-tiny-1.0.30-cf6.jar archive with files in camomille archive:
1. Owon\com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0\com\owon\uppersoft\dso\view\pane\function\UtilityPane
2. Owon\com.owon.vds.foundation_1.0.0\com\owon\uppersoft\dso\view\sub\ButtonPane (including all files with this name)
Also in the version from florentbr this function is conveniently called via Ctrl+S
Just as easily now you can put any header in the name of the shell. And also change the color of the beam in Channel 1 to green - I like it most.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:30:50 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #471 on: December 02, 2019, 07:16:50 am »
Hello everyone,

I am attentively your discussion around the problem CH1, later I will look for why this shift of step.
If I understood correctly, when the 2 channels are on the same value displayed on the selector, channel 1 is shifted by 2 steps in real amplitude.
example:
CH1 = 5mV / div selector, actual sensitivity to the screen = 500mV / div
CH2 = 5mV / div selector, actual sensitivity to the screen = 5mV / div
is it this ?

Alain

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #472 on: December 02, 2019, 09:15:37 am »
I can not see the problem of CH1
my settings for the 2 channels:
AC 5 mV X1 probes X1
screenshot X25
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:35:57 am by camomille »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #473 on: December 02, 2019, 11:37:05 am »
Hello everyone,

I am attentively your discussion around the problem CH1, later I will look for why this shift of step.
If I understood correctly, when the 2 channels are on the same value displayed on the selector, channel 1 is shifted by 2 steps in real amplitude.
example:
CH1 = 5mV / div selector, actual sensitivity to the screen = 500mV / div
CH2 = 5mV / div selector, actual sensitivity to the screen = 5mV / div
is it this ?

Alain

Hi Alain,

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, that's what seems to be happening. I'd never noticed it (I guess I've never used the bottom range) until Nullarbor raised it. The problem does seem to happen with V1.0.28 or before.

I can not see the problem of CH1
my settings for the 2 channels:
AC 5 mV X1 probes X1

Strange, I'll do some more testing but the behaviour does seem consistent. The best way I've found of showing it is to clip the two probe tips together and allow a little mains hum, approaching the tips with a finger if necessary. Then overlaying the traces.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #474 on: December 02, 2019, 11:53:17 am »
@Gyro

That's what I did in the middle screenshot of the image above.
A clarification, I do not have the isolated version.
If I can not highlight it, I can not search. |O

Alain

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf