Author Topic: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)  (Read 234896 times)

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: OWON VDS1022I Quick Teardown (versus the Hantek 6022be)
« Reply #525 on: December 31, 2019, 02:19:21 pm »
Wow, impressive!  :o
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:07:37 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #526 on: January 01, 2020, 08:20:54 am »
Good morning all

I wish everyone a happy new year.

As promised, here is my latest version of the diagram.

Alain

« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:26:28 am by camomille »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Gyro, indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #527 on: January 01, 2020, 05:00:49 pm »
A happy New Year to all.

Thanks very much Alain, an excellent piece of work! Filed  :-+

Chris
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 05:49:05 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #528 on: January 03, 2020, 10:55:18 am »
Hello,

It seems that we can add the step 2 mV / div.

The modification consists in desoldering the pin 5 AD603 of the printed circuit and soldering a resistance of ~ 5K1 between this isolated pin and the pin 7 to modify the gain of the AD603 which will pass from 31.07dB to 45.05dB(it is provided in the datasheet).

This modification will force you to recalibrate (maybe only the flashmemory.txt file).

I will be testing in the coming weeks to confirm this theory.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:56:49 am by camomille »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #529 on: January 08, 2020, 04:46:57 pm »
Hello,

florentbr has released a new version which corrects all requests:

https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022

But I'm a quiche because I can't install it to test it, do you have any advice ?  |O |O

under W10 no installation possible, under W7 installs without problem, but no launch possible

Alain
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:27:50 pm by camomille »

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #530 on: January 08, 2020, 05:49:42 pm »
under W10 just decompress directly on the desktop and not in a folder.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #531 on: January 08, 2020, 05:52:35 pm »
Hello,

florentbr has released a new version which corrects all requests:

https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022

But I'm a quiche because I can't install it to test it, do you have any advice ?  |O |O

under W10 no installation possible, under W7 installs without problem, but no launch possible

Alain

Hi Alain,

I haven't tried florentbr's latest version but I had similar problems to you with what I assume was the previous one. indman's answer worked for me. I don't know if this is the same situation though.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-vds1022i-quick-teardown-(versus-the-hantek-6022be)/msg2810072/#msg2810072

Chris
Best Regards, Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #532 on: January 08, 2020, 06:15:41 pm »
Hello Chris,

I succeeded under W10, but under W7 impossible, despite your advice and that of Indman that I had read again, but it is less important.

Alain

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #533 on: January 26, 2020, 01:42:06 pm »
Hi!
Florentbr has once again done a great job of improving the functionality of the program! I got the impression he was reading the topic. :)
I easily installed his latest version of cf9 on my computer with Windows7x64. But to do this, you must meet one condition - to install a specific JAVA8 package. I downloaded it at https://adoptopenjdk.net/ - OpenJDK8U -jdk _ x64 _ windows _ hotspot _ 8u242b08. After installing this package, the install-win.cmd script worked very quickly and without errors.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #534 on: January 26, 2020, 02:20:00 pm »
Hi!
Florentbr has once again done a great job of improving the functionality of the program! I got the impression he was reading the topic. :)

He must be - he's pinched a couple of my menu button icons!  :P  (Not that I mind).

I just installed it too, no problems using OpenJDK8U on W7 64pro. It looks very nice at first try!
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #535 on: January 28, 2020, 03:01:00 pm »
I've had some time to play with Florentbr's s/w version. It seems very good.

The flexibility of colour choice is nice - the FFT trace and cursors too (the pink cursor measurement text always was a pain to see). A couple of points...

- It would be nice if the windows install script gave a choice of install location. I keep all my system stuff on an SSD C drive and most applications on the D drive. I tried hacking the script but ended up with it creating a second D:\Program files folder. That's just my total incompetence though.

- I've always questioned in my mind, the reason for having a 'Restore Factory Defaults' button on the main screen. It seems unnecessary. On Florentbr's version, this button also resets all of your carefully chosen colours!  :palm:  It would be nice just to loose the button, or replace it with something more useful - although I can't think what at the moment. The function is available in the Utility menu for the very rare cases where it might be needed.

- It would of course be nice if it had Alain's proposed 2mV/div range.  :D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:02:31 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #536 on: January 28, 2020, 04:22:07 pm »
Hi all,

sorry for my absence from the forum, but I had a cut in the fiber network for 2 weeks.  :--

Thanks to indman for the link, which allowed me to install the cf9 version on W7 and W10 without problem (the cf7 version had problems closing selectors). :-+

I advance on my calibrator, I still lack 1 resistance value for the 2mV/Div (20mV full scale) caliber and with Chinese problems I don't know when I will have it  ?  :-//

Alain
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:24:11 pm by camomille »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #537 on: January 28, 2020, 08:12:39 pm »
Thanks for the update Alain. You don't realize how much you rely on broadband until it breaks!

Chris

P.S. Florent's calibration comments shed light on the difference between the Zero Compensation and Zero Amplitude. One is for zeroing at mid point and the other to maintain zero tracking when the trace is moved vertically on the screen (makes sense). What doesn't make sense is why my CH2 isn't perfectly optimized by Autocal.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:00:08 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #538 on: January 29, 2020, 08:16:53 am »
Hi Chris,

My goal is to better understand the action on the amplitude of the COARSEGAIN values (pwm to dc U26) and to know if we can improve the slope.

My idea is that thanks to my calibrator I can check the voltage at the output of the AD603 in full scale and on all games it must be fixed at 1.7V (2.048 / 12 * 10).

The STEP and ZERO voltage offsets are less important to me because the dac in SIM3U156 has great precision (not like rc of U26)

All this for fun.

Alain

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #539 on: January 29, 2020, 02:21:01 pm »
I finished my full scale voltage calibrator for oscilloscope

Available voltages: 50/20/10/5/2/1 / 0.5 / 0.2 / 0.1 / 0.05 / 0.02 Volts

accuracy <1%

All for less than $ 4

• Super Contributor
« Reply #540 on: January 30, 2020, 07:46:38 pm »
Nice job.  :-+

Looking forward to seeing whether you can get useable accuracy and noise level at 2mV/div.

Chris
Best Regards, Chris

Offline bhowden

« Reply #541 on: February 01, 2020, 02:39:39 am »
Hopefully this does not seem like I am trying to hyjack this thread.  This is a continuation of my thread on the main testgear forum.  Basically I have been trying to use single triggering on an OWON VDS 1022 DSO to test a quadrature encoder.  Quick summary is that I loaded Florentbr's replacement SW from git hub and all my troubles disappeared.  Single triggering now works exactly as it should.  My issue with both quadrature channels rising at the same time persists.  Also, if I turn the encoder backward, both channels fall at the same time followed by B rising followed by A rising. 

In the triggering menu there is a combo box that lets you set a delay time from a few ns up to seconds.  Can anybody explain what this is and how you would use it?

Brian

• Super Contributor
« Reply #542 on: February 01, 2020, 02:15:20 pm »
That's really good news Brian. I am away from home at the moment so I am only able to play with the florentbr sans scope but clearly from your results,  there is a significant improvement in single trigger.

With regard to the trigger holdoff.  This is normally used in repetitive triggering situations (Auto or Normal - I can't think of single trigger use case) to prevent the scope from triggering again within a certain period of time. This is helpful in obtaining a stable trace on 'awkward' signals where there is another transition that could also cause triggering, causing the visible display to 'jitter' between the two resulting views. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscilloscope#Holdoff should give you a fuller explanation. The better analog scopes used to have it too.

I'm not sure about your encoder results, it's beginning to sound like a physical anomaly of the encoder itself, though it's difficult to see how the same thing could happen in both directions. Are you sure you have the pinout correct? - I'm just trying to imagine what it would look like if you had one of the outputs accidentally grounded instead of the wiper. Maybe you can post a datasheet link.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:22:51 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline bhowden

« Reply #543 on: February 01, 2020, 08:25:14 pm »
I believe you might be onto something here!  I whipped up a quick arduino sketch to just poll as quickly as possible and record the states and times and sure enough, the sketch showed exactly what the scope was showing.  When I worked out the pin out I just used an ohm meter and did a continuity check looking for the common lead but with 5 seconds more thought I think you are correct and that was too simplistic a test.  At some point, A is probably feeding through ground to B and my test was probably fatally flawed.  They are just cheap Chinese encoders so I am not sure a data sheet is available but I will have a closer look.  Thanks again.

Brian

Offline bhowden

« Reply #544 on: February 01, 2020, 10:06:27 pm »
Bingo!  Sure enough, I was not using the correct pin out (I did warn you it was probably a stupid mistake on my part).  There is no part number on the encoder but trial and error switching pins did come up with a combination that works properly.  The only bright side is I now know much more about the scope.  Thanks again for you help and patience.

Brian

• Super Contributor
« Reply #545 on: February 02, 2020, 10:09:45 am »
Glad you got it sorted Brian.  :-+

Anonymous encoder pinouts aren't the easiest thing to decode - at least we know what it looks like if you mistake an output for the wiper now. I tried to work it out in my head but didn't get past the 'everything will go off (high) at some point. Glad I could help anyway.

Chris
Best Regards, Chris

Offline lotas

« Reply #546 on: February 06, 2020, 12:46:40 pm »
Hello! I found a new driver libusb-win32-bin v1.2.7.1 (09/18/2019)

Offline Ben23

« Reply #547 on: February 14, 2020, 10:01:16 am »
Hi everyone. I joined this forum just to say a big thankyou to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I've read the whole thing (and now my head is spinning a bit) and it helped to cement my decision to get a VDS1022I. The fact that there is such an active community supporting the product and continuing to improve the software for it played a big part in that decision.

I do have one newbie question that I don't think has been answered in this thread so far. I've noticed that there are a few clones of the VDS out there now, that look identical in every way but lack the Owon logo on the case. I've ordered what should be a legitimate Owon just to be on the safe side. But it's got me thinking that I should at least check that I've been sent the Isolated version that I ordered, rather than just trusting the silkscreening on the case. To do so (without opening it), would I be correct in thinking that I just need to check with a meter that there isn't a dead short / low resistance between the outer part of the BNCs (or the ground clip of a probe connected to them) and any of the pins of the USB socket?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:02:52 am by Ben23 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #548 on: February 14, 2020, 11:24:03 am »
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum.

It is nice, particularly more recently, that the community has picked up from purely H/W analysis, to S/W enhancements too, Linux versions etc.

A good question, no I don't think it has been asked specifically before. Yes, a simple continuity test between the probe ground clips (or the ground tab adjacent to the cal output) and the USB connector (shell and ground contact) will be sufficient to confirm that it is an Isolated version. If you want a bit more certainty, you could add a few more volts, say, a 9V battery in series, but as the idea of the galvanic isolation is to break ground loops, rather than the dodgy practice of floating the scope at high voltages, there is no need to worry. The isolation components are rated for several hundred volts, so there's no risk involved in a simple continuity test.

As far as I can tell, they VDS1022 hasn't been "cloned" as such. There is a PeakTek re-brand that came up a few pages back, but it's the same H/W from the same OEM (still Owon AAFIK).

Chris.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Ben23

« Reply #549 on: February 15, 2020, 08:25:19 pm »
Thanks Gyro. I received my scope today, it's definitely the isolated version and I've got it working great on my ancient Macbook Pro using the florentbr Github repo, with just the minor change to the installer as per this issue.

I read in the online manual that:
When the  attenuation  switch  is  set  to  1X,  the  probe  will  limit  the  bandwidth of the oscilloscope in 5MHz. To use the full bandwidth of the oscilloscope, the switch must be set to 10X.

I haven't seen this discussed before. It doesn't make any sense to me - surely all the switch does is reduce the voltage to a tenth of what it would have been (and, in software, multiply all the readings by ten). I don't see that the scope itself either knows or cares whether that attenuation is on, all it cares about is the voltage it sees. So why would it affect the bandwidth?

As for clones, I was just judging on the basis of listings like this one, where you have what is obviously the same design in every respect but lacks the Owon logo. I guess they are still made by Owon but "white label" for reselling...

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:27:30 pm by Ben23 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf