Author Topic: OWON XDM1041 the unknown multimeter...  (Read 75500 times)

Offline paf

• Regular Contributor
Re: OWON XDM1041 the unknown multimeter...
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 11:40:38 am »
The good things about this multimeter are the looks and the small size,
But, an East Tester ET3240 can be had for 130 Euros in EU  (Aliexpress but delivery from CZ!) and has 4 wire resistance measurements...

Review:
https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMEastTester%20ET3240%20UK.html

What do you think?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2021, 12:01:24 pm »
The good things about this multimeter are the looks and the small size,
But, an East Tester ET3240 can be had...

What do you think?

I think the East Tester ET3240 looks far too big for my bench and is ugly. ;-)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:09:54 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: paf, m.p.h

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2021, 12:08:33 pm »
1khz ac bandwidth   seriously ??   Any serious company should have a 100khz on any modern meter

Don't you have an oscilloscope for that?

High frequency multimeters were for back when oscilloscopes were really expensive and didn't do on-screen calculations. 1kHz will cover just about all AC measurements made with a multimeter these days.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:10:36 pm by Fungus »

Offline indman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2021, 12:30:31 pm »
1khz ac bandwidth   seriously ??   Any serious company should have a 100khz on any modern meter
Don't you have an oscilloscope for that?
1kHz will cover just about all AC measurements made with a multimeter these days.
And why should I take out and turn on the oscilloscope if I can easy measure AC with a multimeter which has a bw of 10-100kHz? ;)

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2021, 12:55:45 pm »
1 kHz BW limit for the TRMS mode is a bit low. However it depends on how sharp the limit is. A lower BW can also have the positive side of seeing less noise.
For digital RMS one does not necessary need a lot of oversampling. Just some pseudo random sampling timing is enough and could even work with undersampling (e.g. 1 MHz BW with 100 kHz sampling).
The BW limit may as well be due to the analog input part.

The BW specs for the analog RMS chips are also a bit tricky: at lower amplitude the BW can go down and this can cause linearity errors. At some 5 or 10% of the fullscale (this may be a range one may have to chose for some signals) the BW may no longer be that large.

It looks funny to have a maximum speed of some 65 readings per second - that is just a little faster than 1 PLC. So one would get only slightly higher speed at the price of no longer mains hum supression and possible aliasing that can cause confusion. I would normally consider the range of 51/61 SPS to some 250 SPS as relatively useless, as it is effected by mains hum, but can not really resolve it. If the meter does RMS the digital way, which is a reasonable decision, they should be able to do faster readings (e.g. 2 kSPS) too. Maybe they should switch from slow RS232 to USB.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2021, 01:17:33 pm »
It looks interesting, at least more useful than the AN888S but BW is only 1kHz and the dual display only shows VAC + Hz.
The 1kHz BW deprives this model of all advantages and equates it to the AN888S and similar low-cost devices. ;)
I agree with you; the form factor is pretty interesting, but its price takes it to the level of very capable handhelds. It is a pass for me.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2021, 02:05:29 pm »
It is a pass for me.

I'd give it a pass, too. Definitely looks better than the Aneng bluetooth speaker thing. :-+

The probes look horrible but you can get awesome probes for $4 on Aliexpress, so... no biggie.  :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 02:13:17 pm by Fungus »

Offline msquared

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2021, 09:59:07 pm »
Got the dreaded ebay message today for my XDM1041 order:

"I am writing here with all my sincereness to say sorry to you .
I was just informed that your package are sending back due to the customs issue .Ebay suggest us to refund you all to protect your Consumer Rights in this condition ."

Looks like I need to find a new seller. This one had over 172k in their feedback score, thought I was in good hands.  :palm:

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2021, 11:37:12 pm »
msquared, this is better than what the Aneng Official Store did to me: they said that shipped the order and it was in the courier's hands. Three months later they tried to stall my dispute by moving the processing dates and on its final days they said the package was located and returned to them due to a "customs issue". Obviously they offered to resend the package to avoid the bad review and the cancellation.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2021, 05:53:13 am »
I cancelled a purchase

Did not liked the seller bad purchases reviews / comments in the last month(s),  tried the sellers with the most sales amounts ....   with timed sales countdown and low quantities, that's a don't buy signal for me

Offline m.p.h

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 11:22:32 am »
Hi All!

Does anyone have a user manual for the XDM1041?

Looked almost everywhere, but even the DEU dealer "Messgeräte Chemnitz" has nothing available  |O

Have a great day!

Michael

Offline msquared

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 05:25:31 pm »
I got mine yesterday. Here's a couple of quick observations and results from my initial playing around, I should have more time this weekend.

If anyone wants any specifics let me know.

First the bad:
  • No real manual included, just a quick start guide.
  • Display is slow to update when changing functions or modes (you can watch it clear screen like an old terminal)
  • Not instant on, takes about 5 seconds to boot (Also you have to hold the power button for 2-3 seconds to power on)
  • Would have been nice to have some flip out front feet to change the angle
  • Auto range is slow, it takes a few seconds to "lock on". I noticed this on all functions

Now the good:
  • Small with big display, fits on the bench nicely
  • Doesn't really tip over when pressing buttons, top buttons tend to make it tip a bit but buttons are fairly soft with a nice tactile feel
  • Continuity is fast and configurable from 1-1k but not as fast below the 50 \$\Omega\$ default, buzzer is loud but not screaming
  • AC voltage drops off sharply at 4K not the 1K in the specs at least @ 5V RMS
  • Meter is accurate 5V using my DMMCheck comparing to readings on Keithly 2001 (Honestly to be expected, it's not that difficult to manufacture a decent 55k count meter today)
  • As above for current, resistance, and capacitors

Offline thoeffer

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 03:46:53 pm »
I picked up the XDM2041 as I was looking for something that would sit on top of the Fluke 8840a.
I know WHY did I get it if I had the FLUKE? CAPACITANCE Checker & Frequency counter. Thats it.

It is a bit slow changing modes & autoranging. But it works well. I would have to spend a LOT more
to get a Meter with a  Frequency Counter that goes as high or waste more bench space getting a
dedicated Counter. I'm just a hobbyist anyways not a REAL EE.

I'll post pics later tonight.

Ty Hoeffer
Palmyra, VA

The following users thanked this post: theHWcave

Offline theHWcave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 09:55:01 pm »
thanks msquared,  I like the form factor because it would fit nicely on the shelf above my work table but I am slightly worried that the screen will burn in if left on for hours on end. Does it have a screen saver or something ?
Any experience (good or bad) with data logging and the PC interface?

Offline msquared

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2021, 04:29:52 am »
I couldn't find any screensaver but it is possible to turn the back light up and down in 25% increments making the screen pretty dark but I don't know if that will really make any difference in screen life or burn-in.

As far as the data logging goes... I tried the XDM2041 software but that was a no go. I was able to connect to the serial port (which is fully configurable from the UI with all the typical serial settings) and using the XMD2041 programming guide as a reference got it talking through putty in about a minute (there's no echo so you're typing blind). The command set is pretty easy, just basic SCPI so nothing to difficult. I don't think it's going to be much of a task to get it logging.

The other slight annoyance I've had is it doesn't remember the previous settings, it always defaults to "slow" mode but for quick troubleshooting or a couple of measurements "fast" mode works much better for auto ranging.

Overall still pretty happy with the little bench meter. I used to keep a Fluke 289 on the bench but know it's sitting on a shelf and the little meter has taken it's place.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2021, 07:38:40 am »
thanks msquared,  I like the form factor because it would fit nicely on the shelf above my work table but I am slightly worried that the screen will burn in if left on for hours on end. Does it have a screen saver or something ?

I don't think it will have an OLED screen at that price.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: theHWcave

Offline theHWcave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2021, 09:45:35 am »
many thanks for the update msquared, I am probably going to get one ... (not that I really need yet another multi-meter)  :-DMM

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 10:51:36 am »
Can we see the inside without breaking the warranty ??
\
Duh sorry  |O
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 05:52:23 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline Oilngas

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2021, 04:45:21 pm »
"Can we see the inside without breaking the warranty ??"

There is a picture of the inside in the first pdf attached in reply #20.
Lots and lots of VTVM's and Triplett analog multimeters

Offline martinr33

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2021, 02:28:02 am »

The following users thanked this post: oilburner, Fungus, coromonadalix, E Kafeman, theHWcave, Oilngas

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2021, 07:34:35 am »
hy3131 based dmm ic

same as the eevblog 121gw  ....

Offline SpecialK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2021, 03:29:56 am »
Tons of sellers with timed offers ...  witch one i should use or buy   damn :(

The cheapest price is around 125$ usd with a 49 cent shipping  loll  and the others around 150$ usd with 17$ usd  shipping ???

And the surprises are in the handling time,  most says 10 days after the payment is received and some goes up to 21 days ???

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08VNNYMTB/?coliid=I1CDLRHLC3DHDN&colid=3GVSYACE2F0LE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

$164 CDN with a $15 coupon.  I'm pretty tempted.  I have an XDM3051,which other than having a fan that's a bit on the loud side, is pretty good,
 This looks like the same user interface.

Offline pallav.aggarwal@gmail.com

• Contributor
    • Linkedin Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2021, 07:07:05 pm »
I have purchased this multimeter recently and quite happy with the performance so far. The main purpose was to use it in my test jig.

I have also created a small video: https://youtu.be/rBGuiqlnOJM

2nd video showing how to interface with SCPI commands: https://pallavaggarwal.in/owon-xdm1041-programmable-multimeter/

Hope this will be useful for some people.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:41:46 pm by pallav.aggarwal@gmail.com »
Best Regards
Pallav Aggarwal
https://pallavaggarwal.in/my-story/

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, SpecialK, Oilngas

Offline Oilngas

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2021, 08:02:51 pm »
Tons of sellers with timed offers ...  witch one i should use or buy   damn :(

The cheapest price is around 125$ usd with a 49 cent shipping  loll  and the others around 150$ usd with 17$ usd  shipping ???

And the surprises are in the handling time,  most says 10 days after the payment is received and some goes up to 21 days ???

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08VNNYMTB/?coliid=I1CDLRHLC3DHDN&colid=3GVSYACE2F0LE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

$164 CDN with a $15 coupon.  I'm pretty tempted.  I have an XDM3051,which other than having a fan that's a bit on the loud side, is pretty good,
 This looks like the same user interface.

As noted in my earlier post, "Owon" does not show up in the Amazon pictures or the description, just "XDM1041".  Not sure if this is significant but it seems a little sketchy to me. :-//
Lots and lots of VTVM's and Triplett analog multimeters

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf