Author Topic: OWON XDM1041 the unknown multimeter...  (Read 77878 times)

Offline theHWcave

• Regular Contributor
Re: OWON XDM1041 the unknown multimeter...
« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2022, 08:18:21 am »
Ok, using the first DEBUG menu, I managed to get the 5V DC range back. I connected the meter to my DMMCheckPlus reference of 5.0000V and changed the COEF value which did change the reading on the display. Strangely when I hit the RUN/STOP key the COEF jumped to a value which corresponds to exactly 5V. The other ranges are all still hosed. So, manual cal works but I still need to see how to reload the cal dump.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline theHWcave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2022, 01:28:20 pm »
Luckily i had made a recent dump of all CAL data and was able to reload that just now. Everything seems to work as before :phew:

For all you XDM1041 users: Petteri Aimonen's tools to save and load CAL data are here https://github.com/PetteriAimonen/owon-xdm2041-info/tree/main/bootloader    They are for XDM2041 but work just as well for the XDM1041

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, Kleinstein

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2022, 07:45:48 pm »
I figured out a lot of the calibration process:

Enter calibration as specified about: Utility, Math, Up, Range, Down, Debug (softkey)

Pick the function and range you want to calibrate, each range has it's own calibration values stored.

Toggle between the "zero" and the "coef" number (on the display) using the Range key

Move to the digit you want to change with the Dual key -- it always moves the cursor left to right but will cycle around.

Use the Up and Down arrow keys to increase/decrease the value, it will roll over/under the higher order digit.

You can calibrate the range to any value that you feed into the meter, it need not be the full scale value, 5.0000 volts for example.  If you want to use 5.0000 volts then you can short cut this process and just hit the Run/Stop button.

Exit calibration mode and save you settings at any time by hitting the Math key (not the Dual key as it says above).

I was able to calibrate all ranges for all functions doing this.  However the capacitance ranges are sort of funky, but still work ok.  In all cases I set the "zero" number to all zeros.  I have no idea if that's right or not, but my meter is very accurate now, much better than it was from the factory.  I calibrated against a Fluke 8846A.

-katie

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, coromonadalix, Smile2016, theHWcave

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2022, 09:31:12 pm »
The 2nd sequence seems to run a program automatically...
it is possible that this expects inputs for calibration but it runs quite fast not waiting for inputs.
I guess that. That's why I never run it...

By the way, did you try to contact support to request for the new version of firmware?
I tried many time, but they no even reply  :(

Does anyone know which TFT display they use?
I was looking for it but did not find with such a pinout.
D0...D7 - 8-bit Data
PB10 - CLK (Clock)
PB2 - DC (Data/Command)
PB1 - CS (Chip Select)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:03:51 pm by UniSoft »

Offline theHWcave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #204 on: July 02, 2022, 04:44:11 pm »
By the way, did you try to contact support to request for the new version of firmware?
I tried many time, but they no even reply  :(
Oh, I was literally pounding continuously on OWON's door for a firmware update. Twice they sent me the same one I already got  |O and published on my Github page (May 2021). Finally, they said asking again is no use because they made a newer version of the meter and new firmware is only compatible with the newer hardware. Thank you, OWON for abandoning your initial customers ...  :--

The following users thanked this post: PinheadBE, zerto

Offline Markus2801A

• Regular Contributor
  • Pobody’s Nerfect ;-)
    • KEM InfoPage
« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2022, 06:55:08 am »
...they made a newer version of the meter and new firmware is only compatible with the newer hardware...

Very interesting, It would also be nice to know what exactly they mean with "newer version". A new hardware revision? or will there be the Version 2.0 of the XDM 1041, or did they mean the new battery powered XDM 1241?

Teacher for electrical Engineering @ HTL and Werkmeisterschule :-)

Offline theHWcave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2022, 09:45:56 am »
Very interesting, It would also be nice to know what exactly they mean with "newer version". A new hardware revision? or will there be the Version 2.0 of the XDM 1041, or did they mean the new battery powered XDM 1241?

Quote from OWON: 26-Feb-2022: Our engineer said the V3.0 is for different hardware version but all functions are the same to your 2.0 , we don't have any new firmware.

My response: What are the difference between my unit and the newer unit?

Answer from OWON 28-Feb-2022: Using different LCD panel but has the same function

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2022, 12:22:15 pm »
Answer from OWON 28-Feb-2022: Using different LCD panel but has the same function

A lot of manufacturers are being forced to change components with all the supply problems going on right now.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2022, 01:09:37 am »
Not only that, but they reserve the right to change their designs without prior notice... Leaving their customers behind with bugs does not build confidence and taints the track record, but Owon might not give a second thought to this, unfortunately.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline fmolinelli

« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2022, 05:20:42 pm »
Hi I ordered OWON XDM1241 from Banggood and I ogt it in 10 days!

The new unit shows FW VER 3.3.1 and its SCPI commands are the same as the one reported by TheHWCave, with some sligth difference and... a bug (CONT and DIODE function selection  are somehow exchanged in meaning; CONF:DIOD put it in DIOD but FUNC? returns CONT; CONF:CONT put it in CONT but FUNC? returns DIOD)

Meanwhile I wrote a config file for TestControllerUA program, so I can get full automated controll of the DMM and gather/store/plot values (only the main function, not the secondary one... I'm tryiing to get it done!)  and I can correlate irt with other bench devices:
https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html

I think it can be easily adapted for XDM1041 ... with some variations due to SCPI implementation!

I'll share it if someone wants to try it!

Many thanks to all EEVBlog contributors, TheHWCave among them, who inspired me!

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, theHWcave

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #210 on: August 06, 2022, 02:37:18 pm »
I will leave this information here, for all others that may be hit by my problem.

I've tried to use the utility & firmware provided here https://github.com/TheHWcave/OWON-XDM1041/tree/main/OWON%20firmware , but the meter didn't exit bootloader/restart - finished with error at "checking new version".
I tried to re-flash lots of times with the same result.

Diode/continuity was broken (showing 0 and beeping continuously), "Utility" menu was also broken. Most likely the "calibration" data was corrupted.
I wrote to Owon but I didn't get any response yet, then I've found this repository https://github.com/PetteriAimonen/owon-xdm2041-info/tree/main/bootloader and a crazy idea was born. What if I write the calibration data from 2041 (thank you PetteriAimonen) to my 1041?
To my surprise, it worked, the meter is fully functional again and, based on few tests I did, accurate enough.

Of course, now it thinks it is a 2041 on version 1.7.2 (the actual version is 2.1.2), but I can live with that.

Attached a picture with the broken "utility" menu.

LE: If somebody would be kind enough to dump the calibration data from their 1041, I would be forever thankful :)
The script to do that is here https://github.com/PetteriAimonen/owon-xdm2041-info/blob/main/bootloader/backup_calibration.py

Diode/continuity was broken (showing 0 and beeping continuously,  Hi I have been getting this on my meter, i have not updated the firmware, i was thinking it was a relay sticking so i changed them, as it did not do this all of the time, some times i restarted the meter and it still did it, i have a nice fluke so i have not used this meter much or had it plugged in to the mains, yesterday i decided to try and get the AMP scale to Beter calibration to my fluke meter, i used my adjustable load and fist put some more solder on the 10a shunt to see were the reading was going then just used some wick and took a tiny bit of solder of at a time and got it to read within 0.4ma at 1amp and at 10Amp it was reading the same as my fluke,
i have now restarted the meter a good few times and the Diode/continuity problem has not come back, do you think it is the firmware just not booting correctly, would it be wise to try and load a different firmware, My firmware version 1.3.0
Thanks Dave
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 02:44:13 pm by davebb »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2022, 03:23:56 pm »
For the diode / continuity test one could check if there is a test-current flowing. So use a 2nd meter to measure that current (typical some 0.1- 1 mA depending on the meter).
The diodes testing is relatively similar (mainly showing the result different) to the lower ohms modes, so this may also be effected and wirth a test.

I would not expect a relay failure, more like a bad solder joint or PTC. If the ohms modes work and current is flowing it may be a software problem / cal constant set to zero.

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2022, 08:52:23 pm »
Hi if it was a bad PTC would it not do it all of the time ?
anyway i have switched it on and off a lot the last 2 days and i can not get it to do this, at the moment it is all ok, if it goes again i will open it up and try and do some more testing,
Thanks for your Help,
 Dave

Offline javican

« Reply #213 on: August 22, 2022, 05:07:20 pm »
I just purchased this on Ali and waiting for it to be delivered, I understand the are still a lot of issues so I'm up for the ride!!!

Offline bffargo

• Contributor
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2022, 11:38:27 pm »
I just purchased this on Ali and waiting for it to be delivered, I understand the are still a lot of issues so I'm up for the ride!!!

I just did as well, couldn't pass up a $103 super low price + stackable $9 off $90 and $15 off $100; netting it for $79 ish + tax USD. But will see in a month after it arrives.

I am hoping that like the Riden RD6006 power supply, the firmware magicians can make this into something worth much, much more.

I went with the USB instead of DB9, hoping that will be the best for any future interfacing.

Offline Alexel

« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2022, 09:58:49 pm »
Hi guys.
Today I received my XDM1041. It contained firmware V3.6.0.
I read the calibration table, maybe someone will need it.
Does anyone have an OpenOCD built for Win x64 with C_DEBUGEN disabled? I want to read the full firmware, but so far there is only a computer with windows.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2022, 09:06:41 am »
It contained firmware V3.6.0...
This is probably the hardware version not the firmware...
The firmware just displays the string from the calibration data...
There is no way to determine the OS version. :(

I read the calibration table...
This is not only calibration, as well some configuration, version, serial number, etc...

Does anyone have an OpenOCD built for Win x64 with C_DEBUGEN disabled? I want to read the full firmware
Don't spend time.
This MCU (Cortex-M4) doesn't have that vulnerability.

Offline pd9mwo

« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2022, 12:56:00 pm »
any ext.ref mod available  ??
thx

Offline Alexel

« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2022, 02:49:16 pm »
This is probably the hardware version not the firmware...
The firmware just displays the string from the calibration data...
There is no way to determine the OS version. :(
Maybe you're right, but the PCB is marked "YW:2228", while the serial number includes this value - SN:22280222... Maybe the hardware version is included in the serial number?

Don't spend time.
Yes, you are right, I did not pay attention to the fact that the chip marking is GD32F303, not GD32F103...
At the same time, ST-Link reads the chip ID as 0x414, which corresponds to F103, and it would be logical to get 0x422 from our chip (This ID for STM32F303xB/C and STM32F358 devices).

Offline bffargo

• Contributor
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2022, 01:23:36 am »
Hi guys.
Today I received my XDM1041. It contained firmware V3.6.0.
I read the calibration table, maybe someone will need it.
Does anyone have an OpenOCD built for Win x64 with C_DEBUGEN disabled? I want to read the full firmware, but so far there is only a computer with windows.

I just did as well, couldn't pass up a $103 super low price + stackable $9 off $90 and $15 off $100; netting it for $79 ish + tax USD. But will see in a month after it arrives.

I am hoping that like the Riden RD6006 power supply, the firmware magicians can make this into something worth much, much more.

I went with the USB instead of DB9, hoping that will be the best for any future interfacing.

I got mine yesterday. Even newer than Alexel's.  AliExpress seller came through, 17 day shipping to U.S. with all the discounts, no hassle/claims of increased prices/etc.. that other sellers pull. Net cost $79+tax. Very happy.

Offline bffargo

• Contributor
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2022, 12:54:42 am »
Did some testing with a 1041 seeing how easy it would be to hack it into a 1241 with only a couple inexpensive parts.

The internal mains AC->DC power supply is labeled as 5VDC@2A. Actual power consumption measured by feeding in 5VDC from bench supply directly into the output pins of the built in one (not removing it from circuit) are as follows with screen brightness at 25%

Standby: 6.15mA
Boot: 160mA
Run (VDC mode): 100mA
I didn't test any other modes

The mains ground pin is connected all the way through on the negative power rail up until it connects to the meter board at which point it is isolated from the front inputs.

It seems a bypass switch (/ hard power off), a USB>LiIon>500ma(to 2A) charge+inverter board and a decent 18650 should be enough to keep it powered for about 10 hours for little cost and lots of room to put it in the back with the mains board removed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 12:56:21 am by bffargo »

Offline piit79

« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2022, 09:55:12 pm »
The ONE thing I'd like to see fixed/patched somehow is the LONG delay on startup - it's very annoying. I wish I could just short-press the power button to put the meter on
This can't be changed by firmware...
Power switch is implemented by standalone MCU ATTINY202-SSF...
It is really not hard to write firmware for this MCU. But it cannot be updated via USB/COM.

I wanted to share my solution for this issue. Because the simplest one is obviously to replace a tiny 8-bit MCU with a 32-bit dual-core Arm MCU (RP2040) with 2 MB of flash and program it in (Circuit)Python, right? ;)

Anyway, I achieved my goal - now the startup is on single press while the shutdown has a short (~500 ms) delay.

I wanted to re-program the ATtiny202, but I'd have to make a programmer first and I didn't even find the recommended CH340 serial adapter in my junk box. Might still do that later. The program is literally a few lines of code - not sure if there's anything else happening on the MCU, but the startup is controlled by a single I/O pin (PA1; HIGH - DMM starts slowly / LOW - DMM shuts down immediately). The power button is on PA2. I cut the trace going from the power button to the ATtiny202.

The DMM doesn't start all that much faster as there's still a significant delay somewhere down the line, but I like that I can just press the button and know it will start.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2022, 09:46:16 pm »

Don't spend time.
Yes, you are right, I did not pay attention to the fact that the chip marking is GD32F303, not GD32F103...
At the same time, ST-Link reads the chip ID as 0x414, which corresponds to F103, and it would be logical to get 0x422 from our chip (This ID for STM32F303xB/C and STM32F358 devices).

Sorry for responding to an oldish post.  I think the reason for the ID behavior you're seeing is that the GD32F303 is much more like the STM32F103 than the STM32F303.  GD32F303 is basically an STM32F103 clone with a Cortex-M4 instead of a Cortex-M3.  The peripheral devices are clones of the STM32F103 peripherals (same register addresses).

Offline ass20

• Contributor
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2022, 09:06:21 am »
hi
About versions

version 2.xx have cpu stm32f103 (cortex m3) or clone

version 3.xx have cpu GD32f303 (cortex m4) 

Offline gsmart

« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2022, 10:35:25 pm »
Hi dave, i wrote because the same situation as now on my device, different not read at all i have used 4 times now diode is beeping not read volts, and not read resistance at all, fw are 3.1.0 have try to default conf reset but nothing still problem contacted owon with no response and aliexpress buyer protection is 15 day
video attacchment
Thanks for now i hope some one have resolved this issue...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf