Products > Test Equipment

Philips PM-3218 Oscilloscope

(1/2) > >>

Dellyjoe:
hello everyone im just starting out in Electrical Engineering and my mom's friend found out that im studying EE and he found this, witch i don't have any test equipment other then an BK precision multimeter so i picked it up.

My questions are should i keep this? Is this a good one to still be using i know it is old.

Here are some pics.

madshaman:
Dunno, only thing that might limit you is that 35Mhz bandwidth.  I'll bet it'll still show you decent signals up to 70+Mhz if you're lucky.

I don't know what kind of circuitry you want to build, but if you'll be interested mainly in logic levels and you're not working with high speed digital, like 100s of Mhz, it might do you just fine for everything.

Just my two cents.

c4757p:
Beauty. You've even got a delayed timebase. 35 MHz is a bit low but you can work with it.

Dellyjoe:
thank you everyone having a hard time understand what you are all saying. i just need to get my feet wet with everyone EE.

ElectroIrradiator:
For the love of [preferred deity], keep that thing! 8)

For sure it won't fulfill every oscilloscope need you may ever have down the road, but if it works reliably, then it is a great starter scope. Among other things, then it is kinda hard to accidentally burn the inputs out if you are unlucky with some connections, perfect for a beginner. ;)

More to the point: If you, as a beginner, is doing something that scope can't cope with, then you are probably in way over your head. ;D

Also, once you do hit its limitations, then you will be in a much better position to judge what its successor should be capable of. In all likelihood you will decide to keep the old scope, as there are problems they still excel at, even when faced down by modern, kilobucks digital oscilloscopes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version