Author Topic: Test Lead Silicon Shroud - Very Slippery  (Read 936 times)

Offline rfdesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Test Lead Silicon Shroud - Very Slippery
« on: October 06, 2020, 01:45:29 pm »

As much as I hate to admit it, I own a bunch of those cheap multicolored test leads from China.  They work just fine for most of my projects after I slide the silicon shroud back and solder the wire to the alligator clip.  However, the silicon shrouds are so slippery that I cannot easily grip them.  My question is whether anyone has a simple solution to remedy this slippiness (is that a real word?).  Sure, the best thing is to throw these away and buy good leads but I have so many that I would prefer to not do that.

I was thinking of some chemical in a spray can that would lightly attack the rubber such that a positive grip could be maintained.  Anyone with any ideas?
Thanks
Jim

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Lead Silicon Shroud - Very Slippery
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 06:42:52 pm »
In those cases, I usually use a pair of pliers (german: Kombizange) to grip that and pull it gently backwards...

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 08:39:04 pm »

As much as I hate to admit it, I own a bunch of those cheap multicolored test leads from China.  They work just fine for most of my projects after I slide the silicon shroud back and solder the wire to the alligator clip.  However, the silicon shrouds are so slippery that I cannot easily grip them.  My question is whether anyone has a simple solution to remedy this slippiness (is that a real word?).  Sure, the best thing is to throw these away and buy good leads but I have so many that I would prefer to not do that.

I was thinking of some chemical in a spray can that would lightly attack the rubber such that a positive grip could be maintained.  Anyone with any ideas?
Thanks
Jim
(First off, they’re not silicon (a semi metallic element) and likely aren’t silicone (the family of silicon-based oils and rubbers) either, but rather just PVC.) Do you know anyone who likes rock climbing or gymnastics? The chalk powder they use for grip (magnesium carbonate powder) would likely work quite well. Alternatively, powdered rosin (used for similar purposes) might work.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 12:06:00 am »
Are you sure they don't just have oil on them?  I've had some leads that feel slippery because of whatever mold release agent is still on there, but generally my experience with silicone is that it's actually pretty grippy.

I'd see if just wiping them down with a paper towel makes any difference, and especially if it does, maybe then either try IPA or some small amount of soap and water.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 02:38:59 am »
Yeah, I think it's some kind of polish....  perhaps to make it look like silicone.  I took 99% Isopropyl alcohol and wiped that off.  It did reduce the slipperiness.  (I think slipperiness is the proper word)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »
“Look like silicone”? Silicone doesn’t have one look, as there are countless types of silicone rubbers. In practice, silicone insulation tends to look satiny or matte, so polish would make it look less like silicone. I suspect that a lot of what you think is silicone insulation is actually PVC.

Regardless, the IPA cleaning you did, plus perhaps a gripping agent like I mention above, should help a lot!

Offline CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional electron whisperer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 10:01:58 pm »
I've had this issue before as well.  In my case the end shrouds are/were a soft vinyl which appears to still have mold-release agent on the inside.

My first solution is usually to use some IPA on a q-tip and scrub the inside of the shroud.  If the problem is stubborn, I move to acetone and try again.

Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf