Author Topic: Pifco universal prüfer 1930’s multimeter?  (Read 4942 times)

Offline SpawnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Pifco universal prüfer 1930’s multimeter?
« on: April 05, 2013, 04:27:14 pm »
Hi people, I just received my Pifco universal prüfer. It was a long search but I finally found one in mint condition, with its manual and test leads. When I first saw one in pictures I loved it looks and I wanted one badly. I might make a Plexiglas display for this one.

The meter is first manufactured in the UK sold as Pifco all in one, I think it was a good meter back in 1930’s, later on 30’s a company in Germany start to manufacture these, as in my manual states “Die Ausfuhr nach England, britischen Gebiet und außereuropäischen Staaten ist nicht gestattet” and it was sold as Pifco universal prüfer

Here some information on both:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pifco_all_in_one_pocket_meter.html
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/neuberger_universalradiometer_pifc.html

See for yourself how good it looks:

Back side with all text remaining, some parts got vague after years:

It is not in specs anymore LOL  :-DD , don’t forget how old this meter is. Just to mention my granddad was a baby back then, and I got a 17 years old kid so do the math  ;D

Just to show what size it is, next to a Fluke 80 series:

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: Pifco universal prüfer 1930’s multimeter?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:57:32 pm »
It looks like a vintage alarm clock.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:27:36 pm »
It probably is in spec on the voltage range, but the meter resistance on the range is dragging down the reference source.

Offline ProBang

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 06:34:15 pm »

It probably is in spec on the voltage range, but the meter needs urgently the change from the original batterie with a new one.  ;D
If you think my english is bad...
- then should you read my french!

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:38 pm »
It probably is in spec on the voltage range, but the meter resistance on the range is dragging down the reference source.

Yeap you are right Sean on a power supply it reads 6volts, so it is 1 volt too high  ;D and it draws 20mA according the power supply.

ProBang, nice to mention about the battery because I forgot to check that and there was no battery in it.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:14:20 am »
You know what's amazing? PIFCO is still with us:

http://www.pifco-products.co.uk/

They seem to have refreshed their image a bit. When I was a child around 1970 I remember PIFCO torches and bicycle lamps having a "value" feel to them--I bit lightweight and flimsy. However, since they have survived they must have been getting it right. I guess nobody ever went out of business by underestimating the appeal of low prices to consumers...

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:45:27 am »
This meter is in very nice condition. Neuberger was a manufacturer of test gear, most notably their tube testers RPG270 / RPG275 and analog panel meters.

I think they were the original manufacturer of this pocket meter, they patented it around the world and sold it under different names through resellers like Pifco. Your version in the bakelite case was probably manufactured in or after 1939, all models before 1939 had a metal case. That's also the reason why it says it was not to be exported to England and countries outside of Europe.

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 07:20:21 am »
IanB, they still exist indeed. When I was doing some research I found site too.

David77, thanks for the information. About the year I was reading the English version on the site I posted above, but didn’t notice the German model with metal back case. So my granddad was not a baby but a teenager back than  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf