Author Topic: Please Recommend an RF Signal Generator  (Read 24759 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Please Recommend an RF Signal Generator
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 03:21:34 pm »
I just bought a Agilent E4421B (250kHz to 3GHz)  from Ebay in 'for parts' condition. I just hope it doesn't need too many repairs  :palm:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 11:28:43 pm »
I just bought a Agilent E4421B (250kHz to 3GHz)  from Ebay in 'for parts' condition. I just hope it doesn't need too many repairs  :palm:
Were you able to get your new generator working?  If so, then you have a very nice catch.  So I hope a congratulations is in order here, and NOT condolences.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 06:12:42 am »
So far the 'my' generator is enjoying a boat trip from China. It needs a new knob for sure. I've read about people having problems with the output stage but it could have any number of problems.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:41:44 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 02:12:17 pm »
So far the 'my' generator is enjoying a boat trip from China. It needs a new knob for sure. I've read about people having problems with the output stage but it could have any number of problems.
From China!  I hope 'for parts condition' doesn't mean needs all of it's inside parts, rather than 'for the pars in it' (the normal meaning).
'V'  May the odds be with you!  I wish you luck.
When you get your generator put up a picture of it hear, because if I have a HP knob for it, I will send it to you (free).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:01:17 pm by ted572 »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »
Thanks for the offer  :-+ I'm planning on doing a small 'story' about verifying whether it works and on any repairs. Mike (Mikeselectricstuff) already did a teardown of one of these RF generators.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 06:38:44 pm »
Thanks for the offer  :-+ I'm planning on doing a small 'story' about verifying whether it works and on any repairs. Mike (Mikeselectricstuff) already did a teardown of one of these RF generators.
Were you able to find the Service Manual and all of the supporting Schematics for the Agilent E4421B Signal Generator?  I'm asking because on some of the newer HP/Agilent equipment I have had a hard time finding the schematics.  I'm looking forward to hearing how you make out on it.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:14 pm »
So far I have found a service guide which has a detailed block diagram. No component level schematics though. Then again you usually don't need a detailed diagram to fix something. Some clue as where to expect a certain signal is enough to start tracing the signal flow. When trying to fix something there are two rules:
- never say 'this can't be the cause of the problem'
- work systematically; after checking the power supply start at the beginning of a signal path

You still can be bitten by odd things like a power supply going into overvoltage protection because a fan isn't connected. It is not easy to find a fault in a perfectly working power supply  ;D

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 12:14:23 am »
Have you received your Sig. Gen. from China? 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:29:58 pm by ted572 »

Offline DSinstruments

• Manufacturing Compact Affordable RF Equipment
    • RF Test Equipment Manufacturing
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 03:17:26 am »
This thread is old, but for people using it as a reference later I wanted to mention that I manufacture a few entry-level wideband signal generators that are relevant here. I use PLL with integrated VCO IC's from Maxim and analog devices to cover DC-12GHz in a usb powered hand-held device. It is true that the raw output from such integrated circuits can have harmonics as high as -12dBc in some bands. I am working on a harmonic filtered version, and let me state for the record, it is NOT a trivial task in a wideband device. My company is DS Instruments and I welcome people to see what I have to offer before going to the cheaper imported electronics!  https://www.dsinstruments.com/store/products/micro-rf-signal-generator-sg6000m/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 03:40:13 am »
This thread is old, but for people using it as a reference later I wanted to mention that I manufacture a few entry-level wideband signal generators that are relevant here. I use PLL with integrated VCO IC's from Maxim and analog devices to cover DC-12GHz in a usb powered hand-held device. It is true that the raw output from such integrated circuits can have harmonics as high as -12dBc in some bands. I am working on a harmonic filtered version, and let me state for the record, it is NOT a trivial task in a wideband device. My company is DS Instruments and I welcome people to see what I have to offer before going to the cheaper imported electronics!  https://www.dsinstruments.com/store/products/micro-rf-signal-generator-sg6000m/

Welcome to the forum.

Please keep us updated on your range and model developments.

Maybe start a DS Instruments thread, introducing yourself, describe your core business and some history of your company.

We look forward to your contribution.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:03:06 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 10:40:15 am »
... and don't forget there's a separate thread "Buy/Sell/Wanted" for people who want to sell/promote their products.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf