Author Topic: Kunkin KP184 DC electronic load--anyone else seen this problem?  (Read 952 times)

Offline drm1Topic starter

Kunkin KP184 DC electronic load--anyone else seen this problem?
« on: February 12, 2023, 06:41:59 pm »
I have a relatively new KP184. After a few uses (no traumas I know of) it starts up with every panel indicator and 7-segment display fully lit up, and does not respond to any key press.

All the rails check OK (+/- 12, +5, +3.3). For a while, anyway, there was a sine wave on the crystal and some signals on a few processor pins; now I don't see those, either. Has anybody else seen this failure? And has anybody had any luck getting the manufacturer to reply to a warantee repair request--or at all?

Thanks, --Dan M

Offline interflexo

• Regular Contributor
Re: Kunkin KP184 DC electronic load--anyone else seen this problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 04:42:34 pm »
You can test if it responds to serial commands. A normal working unit works the front panel disconnected.

Offline drm1Topic starter

Re: Kunkin KP184 DC electronic load--anyone else seen this problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 03:40:54 am »
I pulled this out again after a year. Because the rails all seemed OK and the display worked, on a hunch I tried reflowing the processor as a last resort. It took a few tries but lo and behold that did the trick--the unit seems to work fine. Bad solder joint, I guess; maybe this will help somebody in the future.

The following users thanked this post: kloetpatra

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf