Products > Test Equipment

POLL: Specific Instruments Forum Section

(1/11) > >>

EEVblog:
I floated this idea in the 121GW meter forum thread where I unstickied the 121GW meter thread from the test equipment section.

Given there are many specific instruments with very large forum threads, what if once a specific instrument thread gets enough discussion (say 5 pages?) then it gets elevated to a Specific Instruments section (or maybe called Most Discussed Instruments?) where no one is allowed to start a new thread, it just contains stickied specific instruments threads of note.
That way it would be an easier place to find a thread on a specific instrument you are interested in and highlight specifically popularly discussed instruments.
This forum is after all the #1 place in the interwebs for discussing test gear, and countless people come here to discuss a specific instrument. So makes sense to have somewhat of a "database" section of specific test gear threads.

There are probably at least a couple of dozen suitable candidate threads already.

Alternatively, it could just be section where you are only allowed to start a thread if it's on a specific instrument? Otherwise if just goes in the general test equipment section. But I figure that would devalue
the use of such a section and it would just get flooded, hence why I suggested it's an admin thing once a thread has reached a certain level.

EDIT: It just occured to me that they can't all be stickied because that's a fixed order, so best to have an admin thread were only the worthy make it, and the latest commented one goes to the top of the list.

Fungus:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on September 06, 2021, 05:15:57 am ---That way it would be an easier place to find a thread on a specific instrument you are interested in.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't make it any easier to find specific information inside a huge thread though.

For that you need google (or whatever search engine you use).

If you're using google then having a Specific Instruments section is pointless, so...  :-//

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: Fungus on September 06, 2021, 05:22:21 am ---
--- Quote from: EEVblog on September 06, 2021, 05:15:57 am ---That way it would be an easier place to find a thread on a specific instrument you are interested in.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't make it any easier to find specific information inside a huge thread though.
For that you need google (or whatever search engine you use).
If you're using google then having a Specific Instruments section is pointless, so...  :-//

--- End quote ---

It's not to help with search, just general thread visibility like how Sticky topics are used.
Or it could be named Most Discussed Instruments section?

tautech:
From the thread where Dave spawned his idea:

--- Quote from: tautech on September 06, 2021, 05:39:39 am ---
--- Quote from: EEVblog on September 06, 2021, 05:06:44 am ---
--- Quote from: tautech on September 02, 2021, 12:27:28 am ---
--- Quote from: joeqsmith on September 02, 2021, 12:06:15 am ---
--- Quote from: cmumford on September 01, 2021, 09:15:07 pm ---What does everybody think about unpinning the 121GW discussion threads? I love mine, but I think the topics have quieted down enough that maybe we don't need three (or even one) of them pinned anymore. Just a thought...

--- End quote ---

I've thought that for a while as well.  I'm actually surprised that Dave didn't consider it when announcing the new Brymen meter.  Then I thought it's a Brymen and is going to work....   :-DD

The TE thread is popular enough it stays on top so it also makes little sense to me. 

Others threads also seem old and unmaintained and I wonder the same thing.  What makes them worth being sticky?  Seems like it would be reserved.   Info for beginners and rules all make sense to me.    Even a single sticky thread for each of the products Dave markets makes some sense to me, just for the advertisement.   

Not a big deal to leave it.  Dave's site anyway and I enjoy the free use of it.  So, good job Dave!

--- End quote ---
Dave could easily create another board of EEVblog Products and shift all the threads there and sticky them or whatever.

--- End quote ---

Well that just lit up an idea. What if there was a Specific Instruments test equipment section where each instrument of note (say several pages is the trigger) got it's own thread and they are all stickied.
It could be an easy go-to section for specific much talked about instruments?
If an ok idea I could make this a specific poll test to see what the general response is?

--- End quote ---
Yeah well if you examine the current Products board structure there are a few options if you must move stuff around and stir up grumbles where certainly you could add a Specific Instruments board where you could also further divide it into brands.....EEVblog brand instruments too of course.

Maybe a Products> TE Brands> by Brand sub board, each with stickys of certain popular models.
Too much work ?

--- End quote ---

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: tautech on September 06, 2021, 05:42:36 am ---Yeah well if you examine the current Products board structure there are a few options if you must move stuff around and stir up grumbles where certainly you could add a Specific Instruments board where you could also further divide it into brands.....EEVblog brand instruments too of course.

Maybe a Products> TE Brands> by Brand sub board, each with stickys of certain popular models.
Too much work ?

--- End quote ---

That idea has been shot down by the community before, as you end up with dozens of different boards and people have said they prefer to subscribe to/browse all general test gear threads.
The thing that's different here is that only old threads that have gained a certain level of popularity gets moved over, so that way you don't miss any new threads on the general test gear section and it continues to work as-is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version