Poll

Is having a Specific Instruments forum section with every post a sticky a good idea?

Yes
28 (32.9%)
No
42 (49.4%)
Don't Care
10 (11.8%)
I have a better idea (see comments)
5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: POLL: Specific Instruments Forum Section  (Read 5462 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: POLL: Specific Instruments Forum Section
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2021, 09:29:44 am »
Such threads tend to get outdated relatively quickly.
That makes individual equipment stickies totally useless and permanently outdated.
Sorry, but both of these comments - and any others of similar sentiment - are completely irrelevant.

If I'm looking up information on my HP3478A, I don't care if the last post was 5 years ago.  The information will either be right or wrong - it will never be outdated.
Not only that, but the forum search works very well within a thread, thus increasing its usefulness by a huge margin.

The threads that become partially outdated are usually the ones where the equipment has firmware updates - however, for a great deal of other equipment (DMMs included) the information stays quite stable over the years.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2021, 09:49:46 am »
That makes individual equipment stickies totally useless and permanently outdated.
Sorry, but both of these comments - and any others of similar sentiment - are completely irrelevant.

If I'm looking up information on my HP3478A, I don't care if the last post was 5 years ago.  The information will either be right or wrong - it will never be outdated.

Sorry, outdated was probably not the best word.

I meant that, due to the fact that nobody can't ensure that everyone will only talk about Siglent in the "Siglent sticky", there will be Siglent related info spread in many other messages. Some of it most probably relevant but that people only looking inside the "Siglent sticky" will not follow/catch (maybe except tautech...  ;D).

Today, most of the members tend to help anyone that creates a new thread, despite the fact that there is another thread already with that theme. Sometimes redirect them to the original thread, other times continue answering also in the new thread.

With brand stickies what will happen? People only answer in the official brand sticky? What happens if a question regarding Siglent is placed outside the Siglent sticky? Nobody should answer? People should be discouraged to answer it? Not answering such things, IMHO, tends to drive away the new members and starts to put this forum in an exclusive member club where only the members that strictly follow every rule feel comfortable and/or accepted... I think that should not be the spirit.  (And, don't get me wrong, I'm the 1st one to hate guys that don't do a minimal research before creating a new thread.)

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 09:58:30 am »
My 5 cents worth.

Why try to fix something that ain't broken.

With google (or other engines) search a lot of the topics come up when searched for a specific instrument, so no need for instruments specific stickies, in my opinion.

One improvement for me would be to by default return to a topic one posts in.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2021, 11:22:58 am »
Why try to fix something that ain't broken.
:-+
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2021, 11:38:50 am »
A long time ago, it was stated on this forum that its function was not archival.  Hence, a relative lack of stickies.  I agree with that assessment.  Most posters, it seems, don't bother reading them anyway.

A better search engine might help, but the current one generally works well enough for me.  Lacking that, Google supplements.   

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2021, 11:56:11 am »
If this was agreed to, who is going to research all the old topics and apply a sticky or whatever is required? You know there's
151,455 Topics on the forum now?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2021, 12:04:17 pm »
One improvement for me would be to by default return to a topic one posts in.

My preference, too.   ;D

Can be set permanently as you wish, by checking the checkbox "Return to topics after posting by default." in Profile -> Account Settings -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout, then press the "Change profile" button.

If you click while logged in Elforum, the next link should take you to that checkbox:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=theme

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2021, 12:36:03 pm »

Sorry, outdated was probably not the best word.

I meant that, due to the fact that nobody can't ensure that everyone will only talk about Siglent in the "Siglent sticky", there will be Siglent related info spread in many other messages. Some of it most probably relevant but that people only looking inside the "Siglent sticky" will not follow/catch (maybe except tautech...  ;D).

That is a fair concern.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2021, 02:26:51 pm »
That's not what Forums are for. Forums are a place to hang out and shoot the breeze.

You want a web page with information about a specific instrument? Set up a Wiki.

SInce EEVBlog has a wiki section, perhaps if one of these specific instruments threads is started, a parallel wiki page should be created as well.  Even a mediocre wiki page would be an easier to use reference than 50 pages of forum thread.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, shakalnokturn

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2021, 03:36:05 pm »
That's not what Forums are for. Forums are a place to hang out and shoot the breeze.

You want a web page with information about a specific instrument? Set up a Wiki.

SInce EEVBlog has a wiki section, perhaps if one of these specific instruments threads is started, a parallel wiki page should be created as well.  Even a mediocre wiki page would be an easier to use reference than 50 pages of forum thread.

Than the question arises whom is going to fill the wiki page. You don't want to just copy everything written in the thread to the wiki page. As an example the hacking of the MSO5000 series of Rigol. A very long thread with a lot of useful information but that is maybe only 30% of the thread, whilst the rest is members thanking for the hack or asking questions they could have find the answer to if they just read the thread. (I read all the, at that time, 78 pages) Also of topic garbage, pardon the expression, that only some find amusing is filling things up.

And yes I know, the FNIRSI 1013D thread is mostly just me spewing my findings and adventures in reversing the software :-DD

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2021, 03:57:35 pm »
That's why enthusiasts of specific instrument models should be encouraged to create wiki pages for their favorite instrument models, if one doesn't already exist.  They already have favorite topics here and are capable of rapidly reviewing them to index key sections.  Unfortunately the current workflow of 'message Dave to request page creation' turns a spur of the moment decision to contribute, into a task that requires pre-planning and scheduling so few take it up.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:00:02 pm by Ian.M »

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2021, 10:48:05 pm »
I like the idea in the sense that it sounded more efficient to find specific information

I get the idea and come here for that too, mainly at TEA...
OTOH while googling for information on test equipment over the years I find that the hits on the EEVblog forum are more and more frequent likely because the forum is bulging.
Maybe Dave also sees this and is polling for that reason.

I don't really see any point in opening new topics on questions that have been asked and answered before in numerous topics just because it's too hard to use the search engine first.

When I'm looking for information on a piece of TE, I'll first go to KO4BB then if it is Tek, HPAK, LeCroy or Solartron I'll go and search on groups.io, then Google search and finally check here. Even if it isn't intended to be, this forum is a great source of information.

On the whole no, I wouldn't like to see it changed to a per-model organisation. I'd sometimes like it to be more synthetic organised. The compromise between the two doesn't seem easy without a good search engine that would automatically suggest existing topics to new posters.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:49:49 pm by shakalnokturn »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2021, 11:03:55 pm »
I wonder if there is a way to mirror the threads, eg leave them in Test Equipment as is, but then have a section or subsection "Popular TE threads" where the same thread could be listed there as well.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2021, 05:08:15 am »
Finally voted no.
Instead IMO a sticky and locked index thread in the TE forum containing only organized links to threads that initially Dave thinks worthy of being in such an index and later threads that members put forward for consideration of inclusion by reporting them and suggesting such.
Another alternative to reporting a thread for inclusion to such a index list is an associated (linked) and open thread where suggestions of worthy threads can be posted and discussed.

Obviously there will be some ongoing maintenance but this can be shared by moderators.

A fine example is the POI list is down a bit in first post of the TEA thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2021, 06:50:42 am »
The only thing I would split is the repair section in to two sections:

Repair: Test Equipment
Repair: General

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Bobson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2021, 10:10:31 pm »
It would be great if long threads (say, 10 pages or more) or popular equipment (e.g. 121GW) be given special status. It would reduce number of threads discussing the same. For example, there are dozens of Hantek DSO 2xxx related topics.

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2021, 02:29:14 am »
Long threads in general are hard to navigate. It would be good if one could increase the limit on the number of pages when one can click on View All. Another useful feature I've seen in other forums is to have an image gallery of all images uploaded within a thread.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2021, 03:42:39 am »
Long threads in general are hard to navigate. It would be good if one could increase the limit on the number of pages when one can click on View All. Another useful feature I've seen in other forums is to have an image gallery of all images uploaded within a thread.
I have tried to add a POI list into the OP to improve navigation but this only works if the OP is active and motivated to do so. We could all do more to help with long threads.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2021, 03:43:14 am »
It would be great if long threads (say, 10 pages or more) or popular equipment (e.g. 121GW) be given special status. It would reduce number of threads discussing the same. For example, there are dozens of Hantek DSO 2xxx related topics.

That forum feature is called a Sticky thread. The problem is the forum section quickly ends up with a huge list of Sticky threads at the top of the page, and you have the scoll down forever to see the new posts.

Offline Just_another_Dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2021, 11:42:07 am »
What would be more useful, perhaps, would be to split the "Test Equipment" board into a few more specific boards, perhaps:
Multimeters
Oscilloscopes / Logic Analyzers (because of MSOs)
Spectrum Analysers / Vector Network Analyzers
Frequency Meters / Waveform Generators
Other Test Equipment

While you are at it, Other Equipment could also be split into
Soldering Equipment
Programmers (perhaps)
Hand Tools
Other Equipment

I think having these subsections in the test equipment or metrology section could be useful, while avoiding to have too many sections in the forum. Additionally, it could also allow to focus the section on testing methodologies while keeping reviews in organized subsections

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2021, 03:37:31 pm »
What would be more useful, perhaps, would be to split the "Test Equipment" board into a few more specific boards, perhaps:
Multimeters
Other Test Equipment

Soldering Equipment
Programmers (perhaps)
Hand Tools
Other Equipment

I think having these subsections in the test equipment or metrology section could be useful, while avoiding to have too many sections in the forum. Additionally, it could also allow to focus the section on testing methodologies while keeping reviews in organized subsections

+1
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2021, 04:00:51 pm »
I wonder if there is a way to mirror the threads, eg leave them in Test Equipment as is, but then have a section or subsection "Popular TE threads" where the same thread could be listed there as well.
I was thinking the same, this would be the only way to keep everyone happy. But I leave the voting for the veterans.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2021, 06:21:44 am »
Multimeters
Other Test Equipment

Soldering Equipment
Programmers (perhaps)
Hand Tools
Other Equipment

I believe this has been voted on before and the majority said that they want it all in one big test equipment section.

Offline Just_another_Dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2021, 08:50:28 pm »
Multimeters
Other Test Equipment

Soldering Equipment
Programmers (perhaps)
Hand Tools
Other Equipment

I believe this has been voted on before and the majority said that they want it all in one big test equipment section.

I must be weird, then  :-DD
I like subsections

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2021, 10:25:38 pm »
I like the current sections myself, topic based, IE test equipment, repair etc.

MAYBE just adding a brand subsection under each of the categories, such as Repair/Fluke, or Repair/Datron etc....  that way the current main topics are left alone without mixing up the topics, and it adds refinement and easier browsing to items of interest.

For instance, when I have been working on the Datron series of equipment, I had to do multiple searches for each model in the series to try and capture as much info as possible, if they had all been in the same sub category it would have made that a lot easier, the same can probably be said for some other equipment which has a lot of similarities across the instruments made by one manufacturer.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 10:28:48 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf