Author Topic: Poor Man's (not LabVIEW) (assistance needed)  (Read 1328 times)

Offline wholderTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Wayne's Tinkering Page
Poor Man's (not LabVIEW) (assistance needed)
« on: July 28, 2019, 11:35:53 pm »
RglComm is a GUI-based program written in the Java Language that I created to experiment with communicating with and controlling Rigol devices using IEEE 488/USBTMC-USB488 commands sent over the instrument's USB interface. My eventual goal is to use this code as the basis for a program that can run simple scripts to make various measurements and perform calculations (sort of a poor man's LabVIEW™), so stay tuned if you're interested.

The program is still in development, but I'd like to be able to capture the USB product codes for more Rigol devices so I can include them.  To assist with this, RglComm has a built-in "scan" function you can run to print out a list of all connected (and powered on) USB devices that match Rigol's Vendor Id.  So, if anyone wants to give it a try, I'd appreciate having people run the scan function and then post the results in this thread, or send me a personal message.  Note: scan also prints out the device's serial number, which I do not need and which you should probably not post here.  Ideally, all I need is the following two lines:

Product Id:   0x0E11
Product:      DP800 Serials

as well as the exact model number for the device, such as "DM3058 Digital Multimeter" or "DS4024 Digital Oscilloscope", as the scan function often only reports the model series and not the full device model.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

https://github.com/wholder/RglComm

Also, to save time, here is a list of Rigol devices for which I have already obtained the USB Product Id information:

DM3058 Digital Multimeter      0x09C4
DP832 Prog DC Power Supply     0x0E11
DS4024 Digital Oscilloscope    0x04B1
DS1102E Digital Oscilloscope   0x0588
DSA815 Spectrum Analyzer       0x0960
DG4162 Func/Wave Generator     0x0641
DS1054Z Digital Oscilloscope   0x04CE

Wayne
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:09:56 pm by wholder »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Poor Man's LabVIEW (assistance needed)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 12:18:02 am »
So, nothing to do with LabView.  Just a click baiting.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

• Regular Contributor
    • Wayne's Tinkering Page
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 12:32:30 am »
> So, nothing to do with LabView.  Just a click baiting.

Hmm... it wasn't my intent to click bait anyone.  Just looking for an assist for my open source project.

Wayne
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:05:21 am by wholder »

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 03:25:34 am »
Could you add a LICENSE file stating what license this is under?

I may well be interested in pitching in. I'm a Java programmer by trade, and I just bought a bunch of new Rigol gear a couple of weeks ago, and I've been thinking a lot about how to programmatically interface with my gear. So this is right up my alley.

• Regular Contributor
    • Wayne's Tinkering Page
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 05:56:29 am »
The license is listed as MIT in the source code, but I've now added a LICENSE file, as well.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Wayne

• Regular Contributor
    • Wayne's Tinkering Page
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 06:01:21 am »
> I may well be interested in pitching in.

Thanks.  This project is still in the very early stages and is, at the current time, just the minimal code needed to test communication with devices.  The "Universal Serial Bus Test and Measurement Class, Subclass USB488 Specification (USBTMC-USB488)" (http://sdpha2.ucsd.edu/Lab_Equip_Manuals/usbtmc_usb488_subclass_1_00.pdf) is not exactly easy reading, so I'm still working though some issues to understand how to get reliable communication.

Wayne
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:04:47 am by wholder »

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
Re: Poor Man's (not LabVIEW) (assistance needed)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 01:07:22 pm »
Have you had a chance to check out EEZ-Studio?  Your project goals sound similar to this effort and the tool is already able to communicate w/ several Rigol SCPI instruments via USB and IP.

• Regular Contributor
    • Wayne's Tinkering Page
Re: Poor Man's (not LabVIEW) (assistance needed)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 08:00:17 pm »
Thanks for pointing this out.  My goal is quite a bit different from the direction they're going, but it will be a useful resource.

Wayne

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf