Author Topic: Portable 'scope  (Read 6907 times)

Offline theoldwizard1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Portable 'scope
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:31:57 pm »
Looking for recommendation on a portable 'scope
  • Minimum 2 channels
  • Minimum 100 MS/sec (preferably per channel)
  • Minimum 8 bit resolution
  • Some mechanism for coping waveforms to a PC
  • Under $200, but I would exceed that it there were significant improvement over similar models (i.e. larger display, higher sample rate, etc)
Currently high on my list is the new(ish) SainSmart (or whatever Chinese company who manufactures it) DSO213

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Portable 'scope
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 07:42:08 pm »
Consider this one - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-2c422c722d422d72/ it is ok for what it is.
Alex

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 07:57:06 pm »
Do you need a display or usb scope is also fine?

Anyway, I could recommend a micsig, it's a "real" oscilloscope, 1Gsps, 100+MHz bw, 2-4 channels, big screen, 5h battery, etc. But costs much more. I had in the same position as you, wanted to buy only cheap stuff, but one day just bought "real" equipment and don't regret. Although I now mostly use analog discovery 2, which is a PC oscilloscope.

So, one thing is what you want, and another one what you really need.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:51:49 pm »
Important question: what do you want to measure with it? Do you need isolated channels? What?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:27:55 pm »
If you can invest in something better than the SainSmart, I think the Micsig models bring a lot for the price - although they start about 4x the Saintsmart and at the same level of a standalone model.

Another brand that tends to have good products is Picoscope - although I know nothing about their entry level models 2204A or 2205A. They are just slightly higher priced than the Saintsmart. (edit: my mind conflated USB scopes with portable.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:37:03 am by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 07:24:12 am »
What do you consider portable? My old TDS340 is "portable" and most ordinary DSOs on the market now are smaller and lighter. Or do you mean handheld and battery powered?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 05:20:13 pm »
Important question: what do you want to measure with it? Do you need isolated channels? What?
Low end bench scope and automotive

The perfect solution would be a battery operated Rigol 1104Z !
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:48:28 pm by theoldwizard1 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 05:24:23 pm »
What do you consider portable? My old TDS340 is "portable" ...

Ahhh ... what century are you living in ?  That is "portable" compared to a 555 or 7000 series !

Quote from: james_s link=topic=171366.msg2223651
and most ordinary DSOs on the market now are smaller and lighter. Or do you mean handheld and battery powered ?
YES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 05:44:36 pm »
Although I now mostly use Analog Discovery 2, which is a PC oscilloscope.
I did not know V2 had come out.  Very impressive !  I have grandkids and that would be a good "starter" combo for them in a few years !

If they had a 4 channel version that would be AWESOME !

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 07:29:04 pm »
If you want something small & battery powered then the handheld Hantek linked by ataradov meets all of your requirements and is within budget. It is far better than the various pocket DSOs models such as the DSO213 which have a very low bandwidth.

If you're willing to spend more then I'd also suggest the Micsig. The TO1000 range has automotive diagnostic features as well. It has a toggle in the settings which sets it to be automotive or regular scope mode. It is a licensed feature though but Micsig were giving out free license keys for it a while back. No idea if they still do that.

I did not know V2 had come out.  Very impressive !  I have grandkids and that would be a good "starter" combo for them in a few years !
The AD2 has nearly identical specs to the AD1. The main difference is the integrated power supplies which are capable of higher current. The scope has the same specs but how they state the specs is different which is why they don't match up 100%.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 08:52:10 pm »
What do you consider portable? My old TDS340 is "portable" ...

Ahhh ... what century are you living in ?  That is "portable" compared to a 555 or 7000 series !

Quote from: james_s link=topic=171366.msg2223651
and most ordinary DSOs on the market now are smaller and lighter. Or do you mean handheld and battery powered ?
YES

It's plenty light and compact to carry around, it's much more portable than my daily driver TDS784. I don't upgrade my test equipment often, if I wanted a modern more portable scope I'd look at the popular Rigol or Siglent DSOs. Most of the stuff smaller than that are toys.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 10:18:15 am »
Tektronix THS720 might also be interesting for you: portable, fairly rugged, decent specs, isolated. I'm not unbiased though, as I have one for sale :D

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 12:09:38 pm »
Low end bench scope and automotive

The perfect solution would be a battery operated Rigol 1104Z !
The MicSig TO1104 is exactly that.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline L_Euler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 05:41:34 pm »
Here's one a bit over your budget, but it also includes the comm/math, FFT module.  Front line brand, 100MHz, 1 GS/s, dual channel.  Stores waveforms and I believe waveforms can be output through the serial port.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-TDS220-Digital-Oscilloscope-with-TDS2MM-FFT-Module-TESTED/264185219719?epid=96937465&hash=item3d82aa8a87:g:YaoAAOSwSudcONXU:sc:USPSPriority!30238!US!-1:rk:4:pf:0
There's no point to getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 09:39:54 pm »
 :palm: The Tektronix TDS220 is about the worst scope out there and the price they ask for it is a complete joke! You have to pay people $100 to take a TDS220 of your hands.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 09:41:11 pm »
I was not going to comment to not piss off Tek fanboys, but yes. This scope is a piece of junk. It is really not worth the ewaste disposal fee.

Even Rigol DS1054Z at this point costs the same and provides way better value. And newer offerings from Siglent are probably better, but more expensive.
Alex

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 10:00:43 pm »
I wouldn't call it junk, but it is arguably obsolete and offers nothing over the modern low cost DSOs beyond the Tek name. If it was $50 I would say it's a bargain, maybe even $100 is fair, to someone on a tight budget $100 vs $400 could be the difference between having a scope and a scope being completely out of reach. They seem to sell for considerably more than that though which I don't really understand, *shrug* they're worth what someone is willing to pay I guess.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 10:16:18 pm »
Isolated channels are the winner - Does Micsig have them ?

We´re looking for a true portable scope for servicing, with isolated channels.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 10:28:36 pm »
Isolated channels are the winner - Does Micsig have them ?

We´re looking for a true portable scope for servicing, with isolated channels.
The TO1000 mini tablet ones aren't isolated. The only isolated scopes they do are the MS300 and MS500. They're completely different architecture to their bigger scopes. Dave did a teardown of a MS310. Not cheap but isolated handheld scopes aren't cheap anyway.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 10:28:59 pm »
Micsig has isolated classic handhelds, M300 and M500 series. They are not that cheap, almost brand name category.
Regards,

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 10:46:47 pm »
Wow that´s a big step in price - And only 2 channels and a smaller display, comparing to the 1000s...
Are the isolating so expensive...I couldn´t believe that.
Then it would be better to buy a 1000 model and differential probe.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 11:02:15 pm »
Wow that´s a big step in price - And only 2 channels and a smaller display, comparing to the 1000s...
Pretty much if you don't mind that is is a bit more fiddly handling external diff probes. I think (if somebody tried they can set me straight) you might be able to power Micsig diff probes from scopes USB..
But I think you might need to ground the scope in that case for diff probe to work properly...

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 11:03:55 pm »
There will be some increase due to higher average pricing of an isolated scope but there is a lot more you need to do as well to make it isolated & safe at the specified CAT rating. Watch Dave's teardown video.

The EEVblog HVP70 or the Micsig DP10013 are both good options for a high voltage differential probe.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 11:08:36 pm »
Pretty much if you don't mind that is is a bit more fiddly handling external diff probes. I think (if somebody tried they can set me straight) you might be able to power Micsig diff probes from scopes USB..

We got battery-powered probes.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf