Products > Test Equipment

POST Hacking Rigol MSO5000 - POST HACKING TUTORIAL - DEEP DIVE

(1/13) > >>

BTO:
Hi Guys,
The purpose of this post is....
After you have unlocked your Rigol MSO5000 You may want to learn how to use every feature of the scope.

I have received a lot of requests to help people
- Unlock their scope
- Help when unlocking goes wrong
- How to use the scope because they are beginners and are not sure how to use their scopes

This Post hopes to achieve 3 Goals

Goal 1 - To Explain to you how to upgrade the scope and confirm that you've actually done it correctly

Goal 2 - To show you what to do after you upgrade the scope and how to set things up

Goal 3 - To walk you through your scope (Every Feature) and teach you how to really take advantage of your scope.
(This will mainly benefit the beginner)

FIRST OF ALL, CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE

Here is the original Post
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/

Here is a post i created later that was shorter
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/solutions-and-troubleshooting-hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/

Moving forward
1. I have created a few videos for you guys so i don't need to keep explaining things over and over.
2. The videos are also there for the beginners because you're not going to absorb everything straight away, so, Keep them as reference, Learn from the knowledge and expand upon it and explore for yourselves

HERE IS A LINK TO THE CLOUD (it's safe and virus free)
https://mega.nz/folder/OsJyFY5A#8uS0fmepgBdNrXqvnxmFfg
(Save this link so you can get the future video uploads)

There are several things on this cloud

- The Rigol MSO5000 User Manual (RTFM)  You should read it

- All the Upgrade files "Upgrading to 350MHz"
NOTE : This set of files takes you from Version FW:01_03_00_03   to   FW:01_03_03_00
YOUR SCOPE MUST START ON FW:01_03_00_03  for this to work,  if it is on a lower version, Message me and i'll give you another .GEL File.

Now even though the purpose of this post is not primarily to help you upgrade, i have included the files for convenience because everyone keeps asking "where are the files"  so here they ALL are in one place, Just download the file, Unzip it
and follow the instructions in each folder

Then i have 2 spreadsheets there so far.

- Capacitor Inventory and Test List
(For Accurately Testing E.S.R. on a capacitor) This is covered in the videos

- Inductance Value Calculator
(For establishing the value of an unknown inductor. This is a spreadsheet that Automates the math)
You're going to need to build a tank circuit to test the inductor
The formulae in this spreadsheet are password protected so you don't accidentally erase them
the password for the spreadsheet is   abc123  (go to REVIEW then UNPROTECT SHEET)

This is just for reference

NOW THE VIDEOS

CAUTION : This is not a quick video list, These video's take several hours to go through, As a result i have broken them up into subjects. I don't want to hear TLDR. You either want to learn how use your scope or you're happy to always stay on a basic level in which case this was not the scope for you, you should have paid $100 for a USB  Cheapy scope.

THESE VIDEOS ARE TO BENEFIT THOSE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT THEIR SCOPE AND TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF WHAT THEY HAVE PAID FOR. Expect to watch at least 5 Hours.

That aside, the videos are...

1. Intro -               17:57   54.7MB
(as the name states, it's an introduction , overview video)

2.Firmware Upgrade - 1hr: 3:05   182.4 MB
(In this video, before getting into the fun stuff i confirm that you've done everything problem. i run through the Firmware upgrade process and patching process, If you are having problems upgrading then this is the video you want to watch),
Use the Upgrade zip file with this video as a step by step walk through.

3. The Basics of DSO 1hr:19:28   311.0 MB
(In this video we start walking through the basics of using your scope by only covering basic concepts)
NOTE : For experienced users there will be features here that you are not aware of, so it's worth watching.

4. All the Settings   1hr 52:57    410.1 MB
(In this video we go through all the settings in MSO5000, A Step by Step walk through of everything)

5. ESR Spreadsheet   14:37  46.8 MB
(in this video i explain how to use the ESR Spreadsheet when testing capacitors)

6. Inductance Spreadsheet  5:54  18.4 MB
(In this video i explain how to use the spreadsheet to calculate the inductance of an unknown inductor)

7. Using Your Waveform Generator  1hr 17:57  - 262.5 MB
(This video goes into depth on how to use your Waveform Generator as well as practical examples of how to test components
while doing so )

8. Using a Crap AWG   15:27    90.4MB
(A Quick video to show the negative affects and reality of buying a cheap Signal Generator vs a better one
and spending more on it. Essentially proving it's not worth buying a cheap one if it doesn't give you what was promised)

9 How to Use Cursors on a Scope   2hrs  00:33   451.6 MB
(In this video i go into depth on how to user Cursors on an Oscilloscope and give several practical examples of where
they are useful )

10. Math and FFT  39:53  185.4 MB
(In this video i explain Math Functions on the scope and go into depth with F.F.T. )

THAT'S IT, THOSE 10 VIDEOS , I FEEL SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO GET ANYONE UP AND RUNNING WITH THEIR SCOPE

UPDATE - 2 Additional Videos have been added

11. MSO5000 vs DS2000A  14:23  97.5MB
(in this video i look at how a recent number of updates to the DS2000A has caused it to perform better vs the MSO5000)

12 . HELP Menu  197.5  1hr 11:21
(in this video we explore the internal Help Menu in full)

Any Questions, Let me know
BE COOL

thorstormlord:
This is beyond EPIC.
Much appreciated.

BTO:

--- Quote from: thorstormlord on March 28, 2024, 04:15:11 pm ---This is beyond EPIC.
uch appreciated.

--- End quote ---
Thanks man i really appreciate that.
There's more videos to come but go through that now, bit by bit.
I've got around another 4 or 5 videos to record and edit and then it'll be done

The idea here
- Get everyone upgraded correctly
- Set the meter up properly , Post Upgrade
- Then , considering that it's a bloody expensive scope, LEARN HOW TO BLOODY USE IT   LOL

I've included Practical examples in the video of how to test components that beginners normally wouldn't know to do
such as Inductors and Xtal's , I've got stuff there where i contrast the features of the digital scope with an Analog CRO
so you guys can see the evolution of it and how it becomes easier.
I've then also integrated some spectrum analyzer stuff in there to make things clearer when it comes to thinking outside the box. this also helps when understanding FFT

I'm making a point of putting focus on cursor measurements and understanding how all that works
and some basic math functions

The idea here is that i give everyone a push in the right direction beyond the basics and give you some in depth knowledge
and after that the idea is that you guys will be able to troubleshoot further and learn more on your own and understand what you're looking at in your scope

so again, Thanks for the comment , Reallly appreciate it, wasn't sure how many people would actually go for listening to around 10 hours of tutorial on their scope
but hey.. it's got a lot of features, it can't be a 10min video

Protegimus:
Massive thanks for this Martin!

BTO:

--- Quote from: Protegimus on March 28, 2024, 08:05:55 pm ---Massive thanks for this Martin!

--- End quote ---
You're Welcome, I appreciate it,
I have around 2 more videos to do and then it'll be complete.
So far there are 7 Uploaded and ready

Also, Let me know if you guys have any ideas, Any questions about the scope that i missed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version