Author Topic: Power supply ripe for the picking  (Read 20413 times)

Offline PikokoTopic starter

• Night Flyer Fireworks
Power supply ripe for the picking
« on: December 31, 2019, 09:01:52 am »
Hey guys,

First post but i hope its a good one. I recently bought and Hanmatek HM305p programable power supply off amazon to help outfit my home lab.

Anyway. I was poking around on it and realized it would be fun to try to make it more useful on other system other than windows.
I started reversing the communication protocol which is just serial over usb with a 9600 baud. I documented some of my finding's on my website. http://nightflyerfireworks.com/home/fun-with-cheap-programable-power-supplies

I also opened it up as an man or woman worth their salt would. I found it uses a Nuvoton NUC029LAN which is a pretty decent cortex m0+ given the price.

In my post i talk about wanting to hook up a ESP8266 and making a web interface for the thing. Just wanting to field the idea and see if anyone else might find it useful.

side note: There is a command the controls the built in buzzer. Might be fun to try to get it to play some chip tunes  :P

The following users thanked this post: paf, raykj, trcm, robzr

Offline PikokoTopic starter

• Night Flyer Fireworks
Re: Power supply ripe for the picking
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 09:28:51 am »
This is the first time i've heard of SCPI. I'll have to look more into it.

Offline trcm

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:39:57 am »
How are you getting on with this switched power supply?
Any thoughts about sharing your source code on github?

Offline robzr

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 01:52:44 am »
Really nice work reverse engineering their protocol, thanks for sharing. I've been looking at power supplies and the HM305/310P caught my eye.

This is a *perfect* candidate for an ESP32/8266, writing a SCPI translation layer would be a fun project.  Want any help?

Curious if you cracked yours open and looked where USB chip is, and if it could easily be bypassed for the ESP to communicate directly with the MCU via UART?

That RS232 opening on the back could make for a nice spot to 3D print a little adapter for an SMA antenna connector and a reset button for the ESP...

Rob

Offline robzr

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 02:13:48 am »
If you look at page 39 of the Siglent SPD1000X manual they list the SCPI commands they support, there is not too much there. It'd be totally do-able to emulate a SPD1168X/SPD1305X I suspect :)

https://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/05/SPD1000X_UserManual_UM0501X-E02A.pdf

Assuming Siglent uses SCPI for their Labview driver and EasyPower software, then we'd have that......

Here some great details from a DIY power supply project that implemented SCPI:

https://www.envox.hr/eez/bench-power-supply/psu-scpi-reference-manual/psu-scpi-commands-summary.html

Being a simple, concise, human readable/usable protocol, SCPI should be pretty easy to work with.

Rob

Offline 3nigm4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 08:25:09 am »
Hello, I bought this unit too, the 10A version (HM310P).

The original software if written in C#, so it is easily reversible using ILSpy: attached the latest version with reversed source code.
The main class to look at is WSDeviceContral.cs than manages all the communication of the device.

I'm planning to create a tool under macOSX to manage the device.

Good job  8)

Offline karamba

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 03:54:44 pm »
The original software if written in C#, so it is easily reversible using ILSpy: attached the latest version with reversed source code.
The main class to look at is WSDeviceContral.cs than manages all the communication of the device.
I'm planning to create a tool under macOSX to manage the device.
Not to start one more Mac vs Windows vs Linux discussion, but by creating Mac specific software you are locking out most of the potential users. It's OK if you do it for yourself only but not so if you plan to share it. I would personally create a web interface for this kind of application ( everything is going web these days).  If you still want to write a standalone application you can use one of many platform abstraction frameworks. I have had very good experience with Qt and C++ but there are others too.

Offline 3nigm4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 05:56:56 pm »
Not to start one more Mac vs Windows vs Linux discussion, but by creating Mac specific software you are locking out most of the potential users. It's OK if you do it for yourself only but not so if you plan to share it. I would personally create a web interface for this kind of application ( everything is going web these days).  If you still want to write a standalone application you can use one of many platform abstraction frameworks. I have had very good experience with Qt and C++ but there are others too.

Yes I know, I'm a developer from about 30 years on both Win, Linux, Mac and mobile ;)
I'll going to write an app for myself... I don't know if for mac or for ios... and share for those who don't want to use Windows like me.

Qt is a great framework, and can be a solution if I choose for a desktop app.

PS: I hate Web interfaces for applications... I'm an old style developer... maybe I can write it in Assembly  8)

The following users thanked this post: saposoft, trcm

Offline markrages

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 04:16:25 am »
I wrote a basic Python driver for the supply based on your notes.

It is at https://github.com/markrages/py_test_interface

Thanks for taking the trouble to write up your findings!

The following users thanked this post: paf, saposoft

Offline trcm

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 03:25:35 pm »
Do let me know if you can share this app when you're ready, would love to control this from my Mac

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 10:38:43 pm »
From the Amazon listing: High quality toroidal pure copper transformer? That's not even high-quality pure marketeering wank! It's not even a linear supply, it's a SMPS! :-DD I guess it has several E-I transformers in there with copper windings. I don't see a toroidal tranny.

Also, notice that the back panel and side of the front panel have been photoshopped on. The back panel has a 2D look to it. I love the USB B jack on a PCB in the DB9 cutout. Make up new stampings? Hell no! Use the ones we can get cheaply!

I think that it is the cheapest functional programmable power supply in the 30 V / 5 A class that can be bought new in the USA. The RD6006 is close  in price if you get it direct, but a little more expensive once you throw in a power supply and case.

I wonder how hard it would be to get this thing talking to sigrok? https://sigrok.org/

How does this compare to the Korad KA3005P on specs? http://www.koradtechnology.com/product/14.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:27:36 pm by duckduck »

Offline SpeedProg

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 01:40:37 pm »
I wrote sigrok driver for an RS310P (just an other rebrand of the eTommens eTM-3010P), the HM305P is just an other rebrand also.

To add the HM305P to the driver, I would need to know the contents of the 0x04 (class details) and 0x03 (model).
I would assume the values are 0x4B50 (in 0x04) and 0x0131 (in 0x03) but I'd rather know for sure before adding it to the driver.

The easiest way to do this for you is proably using the script mentioned above in https://github.com/markrages/py_test_interface

The following users thanked this post: Suimi

Offline Suimi

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 01:07:49 pm »
Thank you very much SpeedProg!!

I just unboxed my new Hanmatek HM310P and just started playing with it. The hm305.py is reporting the following values:
Model (0x03): 0x0BC2
Class (0x04): 0x4B50

Please let me know if I can be of any help with your driver. Thank you again.

Offline Max3D

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 04:54:45 pm »
Great work in progress guys. Glad I found this forum as wireless control of the power supply would be awesome. I have a Rockseed 60V, 5A amp version, the RS605P. I hope the software will be compatible with this model.

For the moment I have a problem: the original software can't be downloaded as the link is dead and the mini CD I can't use. Does anyone have the latest software for me?

Offline Miq1

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 05:35:05 pm »
Hi guys,

I will be getting my HM305p tomorrow and already read this thread with  interest. I have done some stuff with Modbus and found it funny the PSU comes with a Modbus server built in  ;)

If you are still looking for a way to bring the device online, you might have a look at the ESP32 Modbus library we have been writing recently: eModbus at Github. The device that comes to my mind would be a "ModbusBridgeWiFi", that does accept requests over WiFi and will forward these to the PSU, then respond back with the data the PSU has sent. You of course will have to write the program yourself on your PC or whatever to talk to the Modbus bridge.

I am looking forward to examine the PSU closely to find what else might be hidden.

Offline Max3D

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 08:22:55 pm »
Hi Miq and others,

I found the original software and I can communicate in both directions with the Hammatek / Rockseed / eTommens (the latter being the real manufacturer I believe). I can see the real time status and change voltage or amp settings.
However I have no idea how to set data points comparable to the memory buttons. The interface is there, but I can't see a way to set them. Anyone an idea?

This is the Chinese version with data points on the bottom half. I have exactly the same interface but no idea how to populate the bottom half at the left

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 09:56:34 pm »
This is the Chinese version with data points on the bottom half. I have exactly the same interface but no idea how to populate the bottom half at the left

Looking a bit at those curve graphs, it seems that thing is a DMC DeLorean...   ::)

Offline Max3D

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 10:21:38 pm »
Yeah, so far I didn't manage to get the settings to go back in time ;)

In reality the right hand side are a scrolling view of voltage/Amps over (sequential!) time.

the setting in the lower empty box are Model / Voltage / Current / Power / Duration (ms) / Inaccuracy  / GapOfAdjustments (ms) / Enable

I would love to be able to set these

Offline SpeedProg

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 05:07:19 pm »
I belive the stuff in the bottom half, I was able to set in one of the config xml files in the programs folder.
Sorry I can't give you any more details, sadly I managed to lose my mini cd and seemed to have deleted the windows vm with the program too, that I used to do research for the rigrok driver.

For those who can compile their own stuff and want to use the HM310P, RS310P with sigrok the driver pull request is here:
https://github.com/sigrokproject/libsigrok/pull/100
for adding HM305P or 60V versions I would still the info to add it to drivers.

I did the pullrequest some time ago, but as it seems it will probably take some months for anything to happen.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:10:55 pm by SpeedProg »

The following users thanked this post: trcm

Offline trcm

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 10:44:29 pm »
I modified the https://github.com/markrages/py_test_interface code to report the Class and Model of my HM305P :
Code: [Select]
$ ./hm305.py
Class (0x04): 19280
Model (0x03): 305
1.8 Volts
0.0 Amps
0.0 Watts

Offline trcm

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 01:49:55 pm »
Thanks for the efforts writing the Sigrok driver for this class of devices!
I've added some Sigrok wiki pages for these devices with some links to the software and manuals (English), and I've made a note of the known device class and models where we know them so far...

https://sigrok.org/wiki/ETommens_eTM-xxxxP_Series (parent page)
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Hanmatek_HM305P (oem / reseller model)
https://sigrok.org/wiki/RockSeed_RS310P (oem / reseller model)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:53:12 am by trcm »

Offline trcm

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 10:49:24 pm »
One note about the Hanmatek HM305P is that when driving a PWM load in the region of very roughly 3hz, the rear fan cycles up and down almost in lock-step, implying (to me anyway) that it’s not driven off a thermal sensor.
This makes it fairly audibly-annoying for this load use-case!

Offline peepsalot

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 11:39:38 pm »
I was looking for a cheap programmable bench supply recently, and came across a Hanmatek HM310T (as opposed to HM310P)
https://www.amazon.com/Programmable-Precision-Variable-Switching-Interface/dp/B08TZVZQR6
This one seems similar to HM310P but has 4! numeric displays (an added clock/timer) and looks pretty slick in the pics.
I'm guessing its just an updated faceplate with more-or-less same internals and hopefully same protocol?

Anyone seen/used one of these?  I wasn't able to find any youtubes about it or even a single picture in the wild besides the apparently rendered product page ones.  Could be a very recent revision/release :-//   

Says it could be shipped in a day from amazon though... I'm tempted to pull the trigger but still teetering on the fence.

Offline trcm

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 07:14:35 am »
The Rockseed and Hanmateks were all rebadged eTommens units, but this one you link to doesn't appear to be shown as a product on eTommens product page?
The internals have also seemingly changed, a simplified/cheaper BOM perhaps?

HM305P :
HM310T :

(Other HM305P images here : https://sigrok.org/wiki/Hanmatek_HM305P)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:16:32 am by trcm »

Offline peepsalot

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 05:03:52 pm »
Yeah I'm not sure how much I trust that pic of internals anyways, as it appears to be the mainboard for a programmable 305 model.  The markings on the transformer being "TM150-305"

However the 305 variation from the same product listing page is not programmable (and the image of internals for that one is hilariously poorly edited though it appears to indicate that same mainboard, for whatever that's worth): 1213765-0

I also just found what looks like this style of board on another "programmable" (but no interface cable) 30V 5A, rebadged as A-BFastiron : 1213767-1
from here https://www.amazon.com/BFastiron-Programmable-Power-Supply-Variable/dp/B08C531D7T

So what is actually inside that HM310T is anyone's guess at this point...

edit: Also nice to see the 30V 5A version features "Lover Noice"  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:12:08 pm by peepsalot »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf