Author Topic: Power supply ripe for the picking  (Read 20371 times)

Offline peepsalot

Re: Power supply ripe for the picking
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 05:24:56 pm »
Well I went ahead and picked up one of the newer HM310T from amazon.

I figured I'd post some teardown pics in case anyone is interested.

Display in startup mode (bad color rendering is camera's fault.  eg red display is actually deep red, not pink as it appears. LED colors overall are quite pleasant)

OK, lets peek inside

Main board.  It does look pretty much the same as in the product pic which seemed to show the "305" board.
I guess the PCBs are re-used with just some of the power handling components being different across them (primary transformer, toroid, maybe some others)  I suspect the 310 transformer is same footprint, but a little taller?

edit: Forgot to mention there's also curious unused 2 pin connector labeled "COM" below the fan connector(and in the same style), which is maybe barely visible in the pic.  I wonder if there's even a secondary way to communicate with the power board?

"Overhead" viewpoint (relative to the case) of the mainboard.

Just three heatsinked components
1x SR20200CT dual schottky
2x "13N50SJ" MOSFETs  (by "EST"?, not sure what that logo is)

Heatsink is plain aluminum plate, with a 90deg bend at the bottom to mount to steel case.

MOSFET closeup

Bottom of heattsink, attachment to case

Looks like a thermistor to monitor heatsink temps

Back side of heatsink, solid plate except for two cutouts which seem to only have purpose of indicating the 110V version of PCB?
Ground "output" jack wire mounted on left, mains ground on the right.

Output jacks with some caps. 
Looks like each side has one each of 1nF, 4.7nF, 10nF, and 100nF
And a 220uF 50V electrolytic in the middle.

Quick look at the power supply for the USB charging ports.  Seems to be some sorta generic module "CA08B" just popped in there.  Construction style/quality seems different than rest of the unit.

Rear of the USB charging board.  Solder mask seems to have "fingers" extending around all the pads that make it a bit odd.

The output wires and that resistor seem a bit of a mess

PCB for front USB charger jacks, doesn't seem to have any data pins connected.  its dual USB type-A and claims 5V 1.5A, but I guess you won't get more than 500mA "slow charging" in most cases since there's no power negotiation?

Quick peek at other side of USB port PCB, not much to see, just one cap.

Rear panel with USB communication interface, fused input (250V 5A iirc), and fan.

All these plugged connectors in white were secured annoyingly well with some very stretchy rubber cement.  I didn't remove this one, but for the others around the front I found an x-acto around the seams helped a bit, and a flathead to pry them off.

Front panel overview with display pcb, power output jacks, USB charger ports, and power switch.

DIsplay PCB. 
The 4 pin connector on the left goes straight to the rear USB communication port.
Largest package IC is TM(Shenzhen Titan Micro Elec) TM1640 LED driver for the 8 segment displays.
The smaller SOIC is a TM1650 LED driver + "keyboard scanner" for handling the button inputs and lighting I suppose.

Main MCU: Nuvoton "NUCO29LAN" Arm Cortex M0 32bit microcontroller

Unconnected 5 pin 0.1" header labeled J6, (maybe could be used to reprogram the MCU if someone were so inclined?)

Other side.  All the buttons have LED indicators except OVP and OCP.
Knob has basic 20 position rotary encoder with clicky switch.

A bit of a stray component lead was magnetically stuck on, plus a tiny circular shaving (looked like from tapping a screw thread).
I guess someone forgot to wash the speaker  ;)

Also, I only briefly actually tested the unit and twiddled the knobs a bit (all post-teardown of course  ;D ), but I never heard any beeps, not sure if its off by default or I just didn't exercise the particular use-case to activate beeps.  I should maybe look at the manual eventually

Front panel again, with output on, and leads shorted.  It let me set current up to 10.10A (and voltage to 32V)

Well hopefully someone found that interesting or useful.  If anyone is curious about some particular component part numbers that I may have glossed over, let me know.  I had some more pics and notes about other part #s and even started collecting datasheets, but I figured it was maybe all a bit boring and pointless to go into too much detail unless someone plans to hack this thing in some way.

I still have yet to test the PC connectivity, if its using same protocol etc as previous versions.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 05:36:56 pm by peepsalot »

The following users thanked this post: HerbTarlek, MazeFrame, bkshir, MathiasSven

Offline peepsalot

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 12:15:35 am »
I was probing around and found that the unused "COM" 2-pin connector (JST-XH i think) seems to have constant ~10.5V on it, so I guess it's a "Common rail", rather than communications that I originally suspected.
The voltage doesn't seem particularly stable though, I measured 10.2 - 10.6 over a few different power cycles.  Anyways, kinda neat you could add some little modules and tap that power source if you needed it.

I've also done A LOT of messing around with the communications based on the hm305.py script posted earlier in the thread, and I ended up making many modifications to the script to see if I could find any more secrets about the device.

Firstly, from everything I've seen so far, the serial interface on my HM310T is 100% indistinguishable from a HM310P.
It reports the exact same Class ID: 0x4B50 ("KP" in ASCII, btw) and Model Number: 3010

So, one of the first things I tried after studying up on modbus, was reading multiple contiguous registers (up to 125 at a time) , and I found that the device responds just fine.  Its the same modbus Function Code 3, just request a count > 1.
This can greatly speed up reading various values as long as your registers are close enough together.

Then I started trying to dump all 65536 possible register addresses, at a maximum per request, although I had to increase the timeout when requesting so many.  Timeout was 0.1s, and I bumped it to 0.5s.
...and then I realized each read command was slowed down by this timeout value (even reading a single register).

So I optimized the function for receiving the response packets.  The way it originally worked was to read one byte at a time from the serial port, until no more bytes remained (which is determined when the serial read times out).
But if you know the expected number of response bytes (2x register count + header and crc bytes), then you can instead read the exact number of bytes, and return without waiting for a timeout.  It is still able to timeout in the event that the device sends less than the expected number of bytes, i.e. an error response.

Now reads were really speeding along (well, as much as they can on a 9600 baud connection) and I found I can do a full dump of all registers in under 3 minutes.

So I made a dump, split the results into lines of 16 registers (a mostly arbitrary number for display purposes) and printed out any line that contained a non-zero register value.
There weren't actually very many total lines, so I'll just show a full example dump here.  Address offsets are in hex, but all register values are decimal representations of 16bit unsigned integers:
Code: [Select]
Offset  --00  --01  --02  --03  --04  --05  --06  --07  --08  --09  --0A  --0B  --0C  --0D  --0E  --0F
@0000:     0     1     0  3010 19280   563     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@0010:    18  4329     0   779     1 12386     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@0020:  3210  9999     4 47856     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@0030:  1234  4321  3111     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@0040:  3200 10100     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@1000:  1111  2111  3111     1     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@1010:  1222  2222  3222     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@1020:  1333  2333  3333     1     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@1030:  1444  2444  3444     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@1040:  1555  2555  3555     1     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@1050:  1666  2666  3666     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@8800:     0    10     0     0     1     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@8880:     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0    10     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@9990:     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     1     0     0     0     0     0     0
@A010:    18  4331     4     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@A020:  1234  4321     4     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0
@C110:    10     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0  3200     1
@C120:    21     1     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0 10100     1
@C210:    10     0     0     0   960     1     0     0     0     0  2240     1     0     0  3200     1
@C220:    21     1     0     0  3030     1     0     0     0     0  7070     1     0     0 10100     1

This indicated quite a few "undocumented" registers, not mentioned in the xml of the software that came with it.
Unfortunately, after spending way too much time trying to analyze diffs between various dumps, I determined that nearly all these additional registers are not editable, boring constants, and/or duplicated data of other known registers.

There was just one that I found potentially useful @0xA012, which seems to indicate Output status of  (Off / CV / CC) with values of (2 / 4 / 6) respectively.

Along the way I documented as much as I could about the various locations, which I put in the source comments of hm305.py
I just created a fork and pushed my changes if anyone wants to look or try it out: https://github.com/thehans/py_test_interface/blob/master/hm305.py

... Oh, and I also tried a bunch of messing around in the "hidden menu" (Hold "Output" button during power up to enter.  Power cycle to exit.),
and couldn't confirm the meaning or effect of most of these settings besides "bEEP", "O.U.T.", and "Addr".

At one point I saw a web page or forum comment where someone else went over the menu options (I think with about the same level of understanding as I managed, i.e. not much), but I can't find it now, so I'll post my own notes and guesses about meanings of these settings.

I've listed the range of values and placed parenthesis around which one mine came defaulted to, although for a couple of the simple toggles ("PUL-", "S.F.": and "A--o") I am no longer 100% sure if they defaulted ON or OFF and I took a best guess.  I would appreciate if anyone who hasn't already mixed up all their settings :palm: could tell me if their defaults corresponds to what I wrote.

I think the only difference between this unit's factory settings and 305P or 310P was that "bEEP" was already OFF for me, whereas those came with it ON, as I understand.

• bEEP: Enable/Disable beep on keypress etc.
    M2 toggles (OFF) | ON
  • O.U.T.: Auto enable output when power on.
    M2 toggles (OFF) | ON
  • PUL-: ??
    M1 toggles (OFF) | ON, M5 sets value 0.300-(0.500)-9.999
  • AC.F: AC Frequency?
    (50) | 60
    Not sure what effect this has, if any, but 50Hz default is incorrect for my US sold model.
  • C.Err: Communications (modbus) error handling?  Not sure why disableable, not tested.
    M2 toggles (ON) | OFF
  • C.crc: Communication (modbus) crc check?  Also no idea why disableable, not tested.
    (ON) | OFF
  • S. F. ??
    M2 toggles (ON) | OFF
    *noticed random blinking of 1st digit's "minus segment" on the 4th display(seconds) when this option on screen.  Glitch? or ~~secret code~~
  • -Uo.- and -Ao.-: ??
    M1++,M4-- 000-(003)-010 and  M2++,M5-- 000-(003)-010
  • OtP: Over temp protection in Celsius?  (no apparent way to query temp sensor :( )
    Cycles through: (70) | 80 | 90 | 100 | 110 | 120 | 130 | 140 | OFF
  • -S- (or -5-): ??  Maybe adjustment for other model with dedicated 5V CV output? (USB charge port output is not adjustable)
    Cycles through: 5-0 | (5-1) | 5-2 | 5-3 | F-0 | F-1 | F-2 | F-3
  • A--o: Amps offset?
    (ON) | OFF
    *Observed difference in displayed current.  With disconnected leads, output reads 0.006A when OFF, 0.000A when ON
  • Addr: Modbus device address
    (001)-250

I also didn't notice any correlation between modbus registers and the various settings (aside from "bEEP" and "Addr").  Part of the reason this ended up being an enormous time sink for me, was power cycling, changing a menu option, and dumping registers over and over to look for such changes.

Offline barbaroja

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2021, 05:29:34 am »
Excellent post. Igot a Rockseed RS310P. Is there a way to fine adjust the voltage reading on the display? My Fluke meter and other meters do not agree on the actual output. Mine is off just by 7 decimals but I would love to adjust it.

Offline dvornik16

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2022, 07:34:34 am »
Hi folks,

We have a bunch of Rockseed PSUs (RS605P) and ended up developing a LabView library to control them. The library and a short readme are in the attached zip-file. Hopefully, it will be useful for somebody. 

The following users thanked this post: HerbTarlek

Offline bkshir

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2022, 03:33:19 pm »
Well I went ahead and picked up one of the newer HM310T from amazon.

peepsalot,

Thank you very much for posting your findings regarding this PSU. That was some very thorough and helpful information. I have been looking around for a 30v 10a PSU and have narrowed my choices down to a few which include the Hanmatek HM310T. I haven't found much other detailed information or reviews on this actual model. I was wondering if you could give an updated opinion of this unit after owning it for a period of time (assuming you do still have it and have put it to use).

If anyone else has any experiences or opinions to offer, I welcome them too.

Thank you,
Bill

Offline Antuan

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2022, 11:07:20 am »
Picked up this model —HANMATEK HM310T— from Amazon. Lots of interesting features there for me there, specially the memory for predefined outputs.

Sadly the timer/counter, which starts counting in seconds when you switch on the output, runs faster than it should, and I'm not sure why. See a video here: https://imgur.com/a/hzxpSm1.

Returned it to Amazon and received a different unit: exactly same behavior. What's going on here? I may try to receive one again, but, should I?

Offline geostep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2022, 07:13:41 pm »
How many Hertz is the line frequency in Spain?  If it's 60 Hz and the PSU is somehow programmed to expect 50Hz then the clock would run fast.

If that's not it perhaps the PSU's were built with the wrong frequency of clock crystal?

- George

Offline Antuan

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2022, 09:29:12 pm »
Hi George, 

Thanks for the response. Here we have 230V 50Hz. The interesting thing is that this PSU has an option to switch from 60Hz to 50Hz, and assuming that this clock issue was related to the frequency I did try setting it both to 60hz and 50hz. But it didn't have any effect, the clock was running faster in any setting.

I had no problem returning this unit to Amazon, but I liked the model and wanted a good one. So I wrote to the responsible of Hanmatek at Amazon.es: he asked me to write them to cs_es@hanmatek.cn with the details, but they didn't reply.

I'm tempted to give it another try with a third unit, I like the clock feature —if it actually works—.

Offline Antuan

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2022, 07:10:34 pm »
Finally received a new unit of this model. I can confirm that the clock runs faster than usual with both settings: 50Hz and 60Hz. Also, both Spain and China, where this PSU is manufactured, have same frequency, 50Hz. As I tested now three units of this model I assume the whole series is defective.

Offline tangodown281

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2022, 03:51:05 am »
The HM310 I ordered from Amazon on Oct. 7, 2021 does not have this issue. After seeing this post, I tested it using Win 10 stopwatch and smart phone timer apps (my Omega Seamaster was in the shop). In both cases, there was no discernible clock difference between the PS and the apps after 5 mins. My unit was not under load and was set to 60hz in USA. I can say that after I received my order, these units disappeared for some time - a couple of months or so - so it's very possible the next production run(s) had this issue. I have had mine apart and the build quality is very good overall (soldering is much better than pics in this thread). I even tested the software that comes with it; very basic app and a little quirky, but interesting and potentially useful functionality. With moderate but consistent use, I've had no issues with the unit so far. As for the clock issue, since mine is good, I doubt it's a design flaw (PCB layout issue causing EMI). I don't remember an Xtal and I don't see an obvious one on any of peepsalot's pics - I would be surprised if they spent any extra time or money on this, so I would expect it to be pulled from an existing MCU with an internal clock, or a controller using the AC sinewave via a few external components. FYI, compared to my unit, your clock is about 12 seconds fast per minute from your video (hmmm, the math) - unless we want to get into your cameras shutter/aperture, file compression, my i7 CPU clock, ambient environmentals, coreolis effect and a hundred other factors  :-//

If it were me, and I needed the clock, I would do what comes natural... take it apart and see if I could track it down: an xtal or a lonesome ZD might get you in the ballpark.

HTH, assuming you still have the unit.   

Offline Antuan

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2022, 05:45:06 pm »
Hi!

Yes, I still have it. After testing some other models I found on Amazon.es I finally decided to keep it, as the others were lower quality. Also the two USB and the memory entries are really handy.

This one is well built, although it has this issue with the clock. I'm willing to fix it, but I think I don't have the knowledge —I'm a web dev, with basic electronics knowledge—, or even tools: I have a multimeter and a logic analyzer, but I don't have an oscilloscope, which I suppose will be needed to test the installed xtal in this unit.

But if someone helps me to go through the process of fixing it, I may borrow an oscilloscope to do it. This would be an interesting project!

A.

Offline tangodown281

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2022, 05:15:45 am »
Hi A.,
 I'm a CNC machinist/programmer by trade, but dabble in electronics as a hobbyist, so I'm probably not the best guy to ask, but I'll offer what I can. Unfortunately, I don't have time to dig into mine right now and search for components. As always, a schematic would help a lot, but it's highly unlikely you'll be able to find one. To add to what I said before, if they are using a crystal, which I kind of doubt, it will be in some type of metallic, 2-lead package and marked with a "Y" on the PCB. The most common type I'm familiar with looks kind of like a tiny metallic stick of butter laying flat on the PCB. It may also be a metallic cylinder, probably upright like a standing thru-hole resistor. It could be an oval can, like ancient RC car crystals, or even a wide, flat package like an IC. It would probably have the frequency printed right on it. They may also be using some flavor of the ubiquitous 555 IC timer, which will likely be in an 8-pin SMD package and will probably be marked with "555" on it. If you can identify the manufacturer, you should be able to find a data sheet online with a pinout that shows you what they use to set the output, which in this case obviously needs to be 1Hz for one pulse a second. If they're using this method, it's possible that simply the tolerance of the external components used to tune the output frequency are enough to throw it off - or they just used the wrong value. I would expect this to be somewhere near the 7-segment LED driver for the right-hand yellow bank. There is probably more information available online regarding the 555 timer than there are pictures of Kim K's butt, so I won't go into details here - I'd probably just make it more confusing anyway. If it does turn out to be a 555, try not to let the little woman see you Googling it or you'll have to explain the difference between an astable and monostable multivibrator, and why you're Googling it in the first place.

Again, HTH, and if not, maybe try posting another thread that someone with more knowledge than I will see. Pretty sure there's somebody out there that would know exactly how they're getting the 1Hz signal without even looking at it.

Offline markrages

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2022, 08:42:59 pm »
I found a weird transient problem with my HM305P.  It looks like this:

I put the full description and a script to duplicate it on my github at https://github.com/markrages/hm305p_problem

It seems a combination of changing the output voltage and applying a load causes the a pretty big transient in output voltage.  For $DAYJOB I work with bicycle components, and I was testing an electric derailleur at different supply voltages.  Well, a derailleur is basically an open circuit when nothing is happening, and suddenly a sizeable load while the shift happens.  So I made my script to activate it at different voltages and noticed it seemed to be brownout-resetting, even when the supply voltages were all within normal operating range. I will not divulge how long it took me to troubleshoot this...  I am curious if anyone else has seen similar on the different rebrands and output ratings of this supply.  Or maybe I am just unlucky.

Offline Erhannis

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2022, 08:49:37 am »
I made a remote control interface for my HM305P, in Flutter (and python).
https://github.com/Erhannis/HM305PRemote/releases/tag/1.0.0%2B1_android
https://github.com/Erhannis/HM305PRemote/releases/tag/1.0.0%2B1_windows
Read the instructions; there's a few things to install.
Screenshot attached.

Offline trcm

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2023, 02:26:02 pm »
I hadn’t seen this post Mark, but will try my HM305P and see if I can reproduce.

Offline jumpinmp

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2023, 07:09:51 am »
Hey everybody. I came across this post trying to troubleshoot the HM310P I just got from Aliexpress. The unit came nonfunctioning, and it's been a pain messing with the store's customer service that I purchased the unit from.

My board looks identical to another board that somebody from this thread posted up on Sigrok.

I just picked up soldering a couple months ago, but that's as far as my knowledge goes at the moment.

I was wondering if somebody could help me identify a few components that I want to replace.

Here is the original photo posted to Sigrok: https://sigrok.org/wimg/8/8c/Hanmatek_HM305P_inside_power_front_left.JPG

Here are some photos on Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/C5Kkau2

1.)D19 - half missing diode

2.)C10 - blue capacitor, looks like it's bad or somebody touched it with a soldering iron while touching up U3; it has what looks like a melted line from top to bottom

3.)U3 - part looks OK probably, but there's quite a bit of flux around it.

I'd like to replace those 3 parts, but I'm not quite sure what to replace them with to try and get my new machine working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

edit: I've figured out what C10 (https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/murata-electronics/DE2E3SA222MA3BT02F/10699838) and U3 (https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/everlight-electronics-co-ltd/EL357N-G/2675528) are. I think.

I'm still not sure about D19. I think it might be something like this https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nextgen-components/LL4148/14288085?s=N4IgjCBcoLQCxVAYygMwIYBsDOBTANCAG4B2aWehA9lANogCcYYADCyALqEAOALlCBABfEUA, but who knows.

Another thing I noticed is I have a couple of stacked resistors on R41 that appear to be touching the capacitor on C56. The top resistor is a 1003. I'm not sure about the bottom resistor yet.
https://ibb.co/d77cSXN

In the next couple of days I'm going to order some parts from digikey and have a go at it. I don't have high hopes, but wish me luck, lol.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 04:14:03 am by jumpinmp »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf