Author Topic: Power Supply: SPD3303X vs DP832A vs ???  (Read 2067 times)

Offline PlasmateurTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Power Supply: SPD3303X vs DP832A vs ???
« on: August 10, 2019, 05:52:48 pm »
I'm looking to purchase a power supply soon and I'm trying to find out what the best deal is for the $600 range.
I'm not sure if the Rigol DP832 can be hacked to a DP832A or if the siglent SPD3303X-E can be hacked to a SPD3303X.

If so, then the prices on these units would come down quite a bit. I'm looking at these particular units because they offer the 1mV/1mA resolution. I would prefer and even finer resolution, but I think anything in that range might cause the costs to go up out of my range.

Does anyone here have a preference between these two units? For me, the Siglent looks nicer (which shouldn't matter) and I've had an easier time programming Siglent equipment with respect to Rigol. The spec sheet of the rigol unit claims it can go just a bit higher on the max volts and current. The Siglent's third channel also seems to offer different voltages while the Rigol is just a hard 5.5V.

Or perhaps there is another programmable power supply offered by a different manufacture that I should also consider? I included some information about these devices below.

SPD3303X DC - http://www.saelig.com/siglent-power-supplies/spd3303x.htm
Price: $539

Code: [Select]
       min/max      min/max   Vres   Ires
CH1-  V:0-32        I:0-3.2   1mV    1mA
CH2-  V:0-32        I:0-3.2   1mV    1mA
CH3-  V:2.5/3.3/5   I:0-3.2

DP832A - http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-01c9/1/-/-/-/-/file.pdf
Price: $840

Code: [Select]
       min/max      min/max   Vres   Ires
CH1-  V:0-33        I:0-3.3   1mV    1mA
CH2-  V:0-33        I:0-3.3   1mV    1mA
CH3-  V:5.5         I:0-3.3

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Re: Power Supply: SPD3303X vs DP832A vs ???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 05:56:58 pm »
They can both be hacked. The biggest differences are UI, 3rd channel on Rigol is not isolated from 2nd channel(share a ground), and siglent is not as flexible on 3rd channel. Unlike what you think it's got the same configuration as other 2 channels. Configure voltage, current, ovp, ocp, and full data visible on screen. For me it ended up coming down to the fact that I prefer to have the numeric entry keypad on the Rigol.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:01:01 pm by maginnovision »

The following users thanked this post: Plasmateur

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:58:51 pm »
There are several threads here discussing these supplies.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/basic-power-supply/

The lower models from both manufacturers can be hacked, and there are pros and cons for each unit. 

The following users thanked this post: Plasmateur

Offline PlasmateurTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 07:17:48 pm »
They can both be hacked. The biggest differences are UI, 3rd channel on Rigol is not isolated from 2nd channel(share a ground), and siglent is not as flexible on 3rd channel. Unlike what you think it's got the same configuration as other 2 channels. Configure voltage, current, ovp, ocp, and full data visible on screen. For me it ended up coming down to the fact that I prefer to have the numeric entry keypad on the Rigol.

Thanks! The numeric keypad won't be an issue for me because I plan to control the unit remotely. Good to know about the 3rd and 2nd channel on the Rigol unit.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 08:50:09 pm »
Yea, if you don't care about physical controls you basically just have to decide between isolated channels for 2-3,  and if you need the more flexible 3rd channel of the Rigol.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf