Author Topic: HITACHI V 550B 50MHz oscilloscope, is it good ?  (Read 425 times)

Offline ElFatih535

HITACHI V 550B 50MHz oscilloscope, is it good ?
« on: December 18, 2019, 04:49:01 pm »
Hello

I found this used analog oscilloscope, it's 80USD when converted with no probes, I live in a small country so there are not many used oscilloscopes for sale. I can either buy this or one of those PC oscilloscopes under 100$.

This is the manual for it:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1164580/Hitachi-V-550-B.html#manual

I am planning on making and designing crude simple electronic devices like DC converters,different kind of audio amps, Switch mode psus and other similar stuff from scratch, just for learning how each component works ,how to read and design more complex circuits and all that, so I need an oscilloscope for troubleshooting mostly.

Is this a good oscilloscope, is it good for my needs especially because it is analog, what is with the many temperature warnings ?
Also I'm unfamiliar with oscilloscopes so any tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: HITACHI V 550B 50MHz oscilloscope, is it good ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 07:30:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Any scope is great when you haven't had one before and it opens up the otherwise invisible world of waveforms for us.
Hitachi made good sound scopes but like many CRO's they have a good bit of age on them so reliability could be an issue. For probes, any of the cheap P6100 probes on eBay or Aliexpress would be fine to pair with it.

Until you have some scope experience a stand alone is a good idea rather than risking whatever PC or laptop you might connect a USB scope to although they have the advantage of capturing waveforms easily so you can come to the forum with screenshots and questions of something you don't understand.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: ElFatih535

Offline ElFatih535

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 04:28:31 pm »
Oh ok thanks a lot.

Offline AVGresponding

• Frequent Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 04:54:28 pm »
Also you need to be very careful when testing smps's with a scope.

If they are AC line powered especially, this is best not done until you have some experience under your belt.

It's not unusual for people to give all kinds of advice for "safe" probing of such devices. It's all useful, but the most important thing to remember is that devices that are connected to the mains AC, or that generate high internal voltages, are never safe, and should be treated with caution and respect, always.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Tektronix-Hameg-Fluke-HP-TTi-Solartron-Thurlby-IsoTech-Black Star-Micronta-Mastech-UniT

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline ElFatih535

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 10:50:40 am »
Ok ok , I'll leave smps for sometimes later then , thanks for the advice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf