Author Topic: Powering the RD6006W by a telecom 'rectifier'  (Read 1499 times)

Offline najraoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Powering the RD6006W by a telecom 'rectifier'
« on: December 01, 2019, 01:27:14 pm »
Fascinated by the pictures and specs of the RD, I ordered one on Banggood and am waiting for it to reach me.
I planned to use an Eltek (Delta) ESR48-15/A, which I have, as the input supply. This is a beautifully compact brick that fits the RD rather well in form and size, and can in fact drive two of them -  (-) 54V, 14.8A. The thermo controlled fan will remain very quiet for the less-than-half load. And I hoped to work out a way of raising the voltage to 58+V, spec'd for the ESR.
But alas, it has unforeseen problems:
There are only six control connections (not quite pins, they take a PCB edge connector). Two are identified as PSON, need to be shorted to get going. All the others show under 3V to the PSON ground, which is linked to the main dc out + power line through 100R. 1k from ground to any pin does nothing.
I know there is a micro inside, and they expect to program the voltage setting by a dedicated control module. This is unobtanium.
Worse, the unit powers up to put out 42.0V, not the expected 54V. Starting 300 seconds on, it ramps up to 54.0, in a few seconds after, all by itself as default setting.
There is little one can do to the innards, it is extremely tightly packed, and given a tough conformal coating. So, must work via the six control pins.
I would be grateful for any suggestions.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Powering the RD6006W by a telecom 'rectifier'
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 07:35:40 am »
Do see the pic.
Sad for me to find no takers. Really need to learn how to control the main rectifier, get rid of the 5min waiting for the output to ramp up, and increase voltage to 58V. I know so little about serial Rx and Tx, which must be two of the six control pins. If there is a way of identifying which, I can try connecting upto an Eltek digital rectifier controller which I have (not the unit specified).
Surely, there must be quite some experts out there who know telecom rectifiers.
I have made a provision to connect the RD's input to any other external source, so can use a laptop brick for example.

Offline Sully

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 10:27:59 pm »
Sorry I am not able to assist with the Eltek, but wanted to thank you for posting what you are doing.  I have been researching the RD600W today and ran across your post.

I have done the HP/Dell server power supply mods with the enable resistor and am considering this for the bank of RD600W I have planned.  I'm guessing I could power several of these units with two 75A, 12V server power supplies in series for 24VDC - 75A.  A bit overkill, but like your Eltek, I have several of the server power supplies laying around.

Thanks and I hope someone pipes in and helps ya - I'll be monitoring.

Sully
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:29:42 pm by Sully »

The following users thanked this post: najrao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 05:19:29 am »
Thank you, Sully.
Server PS's are all 12V,  and are still too heavy to match with this RD masterpiece. Telecom rectifiers are 54V moddable to 58, and are offered in ratings from 15 to 83A. Where I live, I buy them for peanuts as and when available. My RD + Eltek weighs in at 1.36kg, or 3lb. and you can hold the assembly in the palm of your hand!
Eventually I will solve these Eltek problems, needing lots of patience to sort the signals at the control pins. After all there are only six, and one is a known PS_ON, and another GND. Help is always welcome, if only to save time.
Do tell me how you will progress with your RD.
NAJR

Offline Dinesh6252

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 02:02:38 am »
Thank you, Sully.
Server PS's are all 12V,  and are still too heavy to match with this RD masterpiece. Telecom rectifiers are 54V moddable to 58, and are offered in ratings from 15 to 83A. Where I live, I buy them for peanuts as and when available. My RD + Eltek weighs in at 1.36kg, or 3lb. and you can hold the assembly in the palm of your hand!
Eventually I will solve these Eltek problems, needing lots of patience to sort the signals at the control pins. After all there are only six, and one is a known PS_ON, and another GND. Help is always welcome, if only to save time.
Do tell me how you will progress with your RD.
NAJR

Hello sir,  i also have a lot of (around 20)  delta rectifiers laying around. Did you by any chance managed to set the required voltage? I also want to lower the output voltage to around 44V. I know it is doable but can't find any way since there is not much information on internet.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 04:30:42 am »
Sorry, Dinesh, no. But then I have not worked on it because of other projects. Do report here if you find a solution!

Offline Dinesh6252

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 06:26:41 am »
Sorry, Dinesh, no. But then I have not worked on it because of other projects. Do report here if you find a solution!

I have got a PSC3 orion controller which is used for voltage monitoring and settings to lower the voltages. I just don't know how to connect it with the rectifier to communicate with it. I know a guy from delta who know all the connections. But can't contact him since him number has been changed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf