Author Topic: PP November Auction  (Read 3834 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: PP November Auction
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2022, 11:02:06 am »
I was told they are storing the lots elsewhere on site and moving them into the barn building as needed for collection.

Probably in a muddy field under a tarpaulin then judging by the state of what I collected. You must have got lucky.

Things will have been in storage long before they reached PPAuctions. Indeed, that may be why they reached PPAuctions.

Auction items everywhere are subject to storage in the "loft" or "garage" for years. Never believe "working" unless the photos demonstrate that. Of course "lights come on" != "working" :)

The Tek1502s I bought are almost certainly ex-military, and have been kept in a warehouse somewhere for decades.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline veedub565Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2022, 08:36:01 pm »
True of course. It's not necessarily all PP's fault.

We have a asset store at work where we store equipment on behalf of customers, until such time as they decide they don't want it. Rows upon rows of equipment, it's like some sort of engineers wet dream wandering around in there. It's all warm and dry !

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 07:43:24 am by veedub565 »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2022, 08:59:42 pm »
They once used the empty abandoned buildings to store unused equipment at work, roller doors left open most of the time, pigeons & seagulls free to decorate anything inside.

Now they just chuck it in skips outside for donation to SIMS metals, there are two cube skips that have been left in the rain for many weeks now, full of electrical/mechanical kit, some barely used, such a waste and nothing I can do to rescue anything.  :'(

https://www.simsmm.co.uk/services/certified-destruction/

David

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2022, 05:15:14 pm »
Just picked my two units up. Bit rusty :/
Everything was inside this portacabin.

A few bits in there, all dusty and dirty.

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2022, 05:16:40 pm »
The Farnell unit turns on, but after a few seconds, goes into OC mode.
Outputs -6v. So possible short? Not sure how to use either unit yet. Not read the manual...

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2022, 05:20:03 pm »
Not turned the Kepco on yet. Heavy bugger...

Looks like moisture has got to all the kit to me. This stuff has been stored outside/in a bard for a few years I would guess.
This unit has a nice rust spot on the top as well, 2 posts up you can see. 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2022, 05:41:32 pm »
All I can say is that I hope you got those at a very low bargain basement price, that motor looks positively healthy  :-DD and I see they came with some livestock thrown in as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2022, 09:50:42 am »
Looks like moisture has got to all the kit to me. This stuff has been stored outside/in a bard for a few years I would guess.

It does make me wonder, the storage conditions at PP are still terrible especially for some of the more sensitive equipment. That amount of corrosion doesn't happen overnight though.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2022, 09:53:46 am »

It does make me wonder, the storage conditions at PP are still terrible especially for some of the more sensitive equipment. That amount of corrosion doesn't happen overnight though.

It's more than likely that it has been lounging in someone's shed or garage for a number of years before being given to PP for auctioning off.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 05:50:34 pm »
February flysheet just went out.
Looks like they are in their new barn.

Same phase of the BBC clearance so if all the kit is in good condition, we know PP left the last lot outside/in a leaky barn.

https://www.ppauctions.com/auction/363/bbc-rd-phase-1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2023, 03:18:36 pm »
I'm waiting for all the stuff Skycontrol won in the last collective auction, to appear in the February collective sale  :-DD

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2023, 07:37:02 pm »
February flysheet just went out.
Looks like they are in their new barn.

Same phase of the BBC clearance so if all the kit is in good condition, we know PP left the last lot outside/in a leaky barn.

It's not a "new" barn, it's the same old barn that's been refurbished with new cladding & a bit of paint.

Same here waiting for all the skycontrol carp to reappear & guess what the new bidder name will be.

David

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2023, 09:14:47 pm »
It's not a "new" barn, it's the same old barn that's been refurbished with new cladding & a bit of paint.

Same here waiting for all the skycontrol carp to reappear & guess what the new bidder name will be.

David

Looked like a new steel frame to me. Did not get a good look at it when I was there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf