Author Topic: Presenting my new software for the SMA Spectrum Analyzer 138MHz-4.4GHz  (Read 62911 times)

Offline vordme

Re: Presenting my new software for the SMA Spectrum Analyzer 138MHz-4.4GHz
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2016, 07:12:27 pm »
:-+

Thanks for sharing!

Nice to see some use for the SMA Simple Spectrum Analyzer!

Question: is the software easy enough to understand the different functionality or is a manual required?

Regards,
Vitor

easy to understand, but HELP option  is always welcome   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Regards

Offline BicuricoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2016, 09:52:55 pm »
Hi,

I made some important additions to my software!

It is now possible to directly enter the center frequency value, as well as, the span value. Additionally, it is possible to "zoom in and out" by increasing/decreasing the span value with the -/+ buttons.

Finally, I changed the user interface a little.

I think the chinese "138MHz~4.4GHz USB2.0/3.0 SMA Signal Source Signal Generator Spectrum Analyzer" turns into an actually pretty useful device with my software! Definitly worth the price for hobby/amateur or educational use.

As always, the latest download links are on my blog: http://vma-satellite.blogspot.pt/

Regards,
Vitor

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2016, 10:44:57 pm »
Very nice indeed! Thanks for all your work on this, Vitor. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2016, 07:51:52 pm »
Hi,

New version online!

Features:

- New GUI layout: All buttons and controls went to the right side of the spectrum display. This looks more like a regular spectrum analyser and makes the window compatible with screens that have reduced vertical resolution.
- Support for ADF4350/ADF4351: if you are luck to have the more expensive version with the ADF4351 and a frequency range of 35MHz up to 4.4GHz (instead of the ADF4350 with 138MHz-4.4GHz), you can now select it and benefit of the whole frequency range!

Regards,
Vitor

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2016, 02:02:01 pm »
my gadget itch made me buy this after reading the thread
since i am a win XP user, for other who have problem with FTDI driver, please see this "driver rescue" post. http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f684/ft232r-repair-official-guide-1875025/

the driver which i tried
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ku9tckrt8rpf62w/CDM_2.04.06_WHQL_Certified.7z
v2.04.06 works so far (with the original NWT software), i did not have to go thru the soft mod process, it is a straight driver install. ie : driver not found --> point to v2.04.06 driver --> driver found.
the driver which seller supplied is broken, doesn't install (maybe v2.12.14 is for newer Win OS, not XP)

from the doc manual, it seems that there is another even more powerful version NWT 6000, which gives 25M to 6Ghz (i think i got mine as v4000-1, ~138Mhz).

does anyone know if 4000 --> 6000 is simply a chip swap?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:06:33 pm by 3roomlab »

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2016, 02:20:22 pm »
I would imagine that the 6GHz version uses a different firmware on the Atmel.

Probably you can just exchange the ADF4350 with the ADF4351, for 138MHz-4.4GHz or 35MHz-4.4GHz versions. I think so, because you can actually set 35MHz on the ADF4350 version. But I have not tested it.

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
testing NWT4000 v1
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2016, 04:47:44 pm »
*update : i am beginning to understand why this unit needs a better GUI.
in v1 hardware, if i scan below 138Mhz, the data will display nothing useful, in full scan like this pic, the real data appears after the 130Mhz mark.

since nobody have posted any PCB view of the insides, here is the 1 i got. made 9 months ago.
the PCB have been washed with alcohol 4x as there is alot of flux sitting around the SMD, esp those chips.
there are 3 JP headers for factory (or modders), and there is a very interesting 3 pin VR unpopulated which says ... " F ADJ" ... HMMMMM ? adjust frequency? hee hee hee ...
i have no expertise in reversing any of this kind of hardware, but this pic should make itchy fingers become interested in trying something like Jtags etc ...
i also saw the NWT6000 on ebay going for about USD312.

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2016, 11:10:43 am »
Hello,

I've got new NWT6000. :)
With WinNWT sorftware it works fine, exactly like NWT4000.

Bicurico, I'll try to test it with your software. But I noticed you turn off tracking generator, so it can work as spectrum analyzer only, not as scalar analyzer.

Here are the internals. Inside there is a board with sma connectors, then sma-sma semi rigid cables to sma-N adapters, 2 extra N-sma adapters and 2 sma-sma flexible cables.

On the photo I've disconnected  sma-N adapters, and attach 2-8GHz directional coupler to check some antennas.

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2016, 12:34:15 pm »
Cool!

How much did it cost? Can you post a picture of the other side of the PCB? I would like to see what IC is used instead of the ADF4350/ADF4351.

Please try it with my software - it should work up to 4.4GHz. I could add a selection for the frequency range of NWT6000, if it is just a matter of adjusting the frequency limits.

My software only uses the spectrum functionality, because my device is the cheap SMA device with only one ADF4350. It cannot input and output RF signal simultaneously. I implemented it this way, so you can at least run two windows of my software with two SMA devices: one for input, one for output... Interestingly, I have not tested that so far, despite having two SMA devices. Time is to short. :(

My software is definitly not prepared to work as a scaler analyser. I would have to own a NWT4000 or NWT6000 to implement that, but right now I cannot afford that.

Again, for everyone:

NWT500/4000/6000 uses two syntheziser chips. This means they can simultaneously read the RF signal on the input connector, produced by the output connector.

The NWT4000 uses two ADF4350 or ADF4351.

SMA Simple Spectrum Analyser: there are two versions (ADF4350 and ADF4351). They only feature ONE synthesizer (ADF4350/ADF4351). Hence, they can EITHER output an RF signal or input an RF signal, but not both simultaneously!

The ADF4350 has a frequency range of 138MHz to 4.4GHz.
The ADF4351 has a frequency range of 35MHz to 4.4GHz.

In the latest version of my software, you can switch between these two versions.

I could add support for other frequency ranges, provided that the rest of the firmware is compatible.

Regards,
Vitor

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:38:53 pm by Bicurico »

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2016, 07:15:49 pm »
Cool!

How much did it cost? Can you post a picture of the other side of the PCB? I would like to see what IC is used instead of the ADF4350/ADF4351.

Gotta be a MAX2870 or MAX2871. They are quite similar to the ADF4350/51 - there is a compatibility paper on the maxim site.

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2016, 07:17:45 pm »
Hi,

New version available on my blog.

New features? Surprise!

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2016, 11:07:00 pm »
Cool!

Gotta be a MAX2870 or MAX2871. They are quite similar to the ADF4350/51 - there is a compatibility paper on the maxim site.

You are right, it uses max2870

I've made a hires foto of the NWT6000 board with removed shields.
https://yadi.sk/i/V7P6e5U3y4rQt

Tracking generator is based on max2870 and 3dB attenuator made of 0603 resistors.

Input goes to mixer (looks like IAM-81008 ), LO is the same max2870 (it generates frequency 250KHz lower than tracking gen).
Output from mixer goes through series of LC filters to logarithmic power meter AD8307, it's output goes to ADC input of atmega 328.

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2016, 12:18:48 am »
Input goes to mixer (looks like IAM-81008 ), LO is the same max2870 (it generates frequency 250KHz lower than tracking gen).
Output from mixer goes through series of LC filters to logarithmic power meter AD8307, it's output goes to ADC input of atmega 328.

:-+ I agree 100%!

The design is always the same, tracing back to the original NWT500. The magic happens in the synthesizer: it is either the AD9858 (NWT500), the ADF4350/ADF4351 (NWT4000 and SMA Simple...) or the MAXIM 2870E (NWT6000).

If you attach a signal cable on the RF input port with more than +10dBm or with voltage, you will kill the M810 (aka IAM-81008) IC. That happend to me on day 2. I ordered replacement IC from AliExpress and after swapping the IC, everything was running again.

I wonder if the manufacturer of the NWT500/NWT4000/NWT6000 actually uses different firmware on the Atmel... If not one could i.e. exchange the ADF4350 for an ADF4351.

Anyway, thanks for the picture.

Last question: how fast is the sweep with 500 and with 1000 samples? I looked at the eBay description of the NWT6000 and they mentioned 500 samples in 4 seconds! Thats actually slower than the "SMA Simple..." device with one ADF4350. I wonder if it's because the NWT6000 is indeed slower or because they measured it with the WinNWT software.

Regards,
Vitor

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2016, 07:19:46 pm »
New Version: support for user configurable LOF, to visualize Fundamental Frequency value instead of Intermediate Frequency. Nice for satelllite TV applications.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2016, 05:43:23 pm »
Hello,

I've got new NWT6000. :)
With WinNWT sorftware it works fine, exactly like NWT4000.

On the photo I've disconnected  sma-N adapters, and attach 2-8GHz directional coupler to check some antennas.

were you measuring SWR ?

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2016, 12:46:41 pm »
were you measuring SWR ?

Yes, here are an example charts from WinNWT. Upper orange graph is unterminated port (100% reflection), lower pink chart is 50om terminated (almost no reflection), all other charts - reflection from different antennas (all seen on photo) declared as 5.8GHz.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:49:03 pm by Ivan7enych »

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2016, 03:41:36 pm »
what did you modify in your set? the aluminium shield?

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2016, 05:32:38 pm »
Hi,

I have been continuing my work on this software and today I finished a major new function, which is unique, as far as I know.

You can now record and playback the live spectrum.

This is great for documentation of intermittent signals, for example. Also, you can just keep the recording go for as long as you want (free file space provided, but then, the spectrum does not take up that much space).

You can share your HF findings on the spectrum!

And finally, I think it is great as an educational tool, because you can now use the software without owning the hardware device! Just share/download a spectrum log.

As usual, more info and download on my blog.

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab, bitseeker

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2016, 02:52:33 pm »
Hi,

This is to let you all know, I have just pulished the latest release of my software, including a vastly updated user manual.

Functionality now includes GPS position information on log files, as well as, visualization of frequency logs on Google Maps!

Available on my blog: http://vma-satellite.blogspot.pt/

Regards,
Vitor

Offline milamber

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2016, 08:16:00 pm »
Hi,

This is to let you all know, I have just pulished the latest release of my software, including a vastly updated user manual.

Functionality now includes GPS position information on log files, as well as, visualization of frequency logs on Google Maps!

Regards,
Vitor
Thanks for sharing - following this thread with great interest.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2016, 02:04:20 pm »
Hi,

Regards,
Vitor

Vitor:

Can you (hopefully somewhat quickly) post an update about using two copies of the software and two SMA units to do input/output simultaneously? I don't know much about spectrum analysis, but I know I simply cannot afford a real spectrum analyzer. However, I have heard musings that Santa might be capable of delivering a pair of SMA units around Christmas time if ... Santa ... orders soon enough.

One concern I have toward getting the 135MHz (versus the 35MHz) version is that my current oscilloscope (Rigol 1054z) can only operate up to 100MHz, so I won't have any overlap. I thought about getting one 35MHz - 4.4 GHz version, and one of the NWT500 versions -- so I could see a significant amount of overlap on the scope and SA, but I think it would be better to have two identical units.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Also, any idea what this board and this board are? And would they be useful for your/our means?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:06:33 pm by technogeeky »

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »
You can use as many copies of my software, as you want, provided each accesses one devices exclusively.

However, my software does NOT synchronize the output of device 1 with input of device 2, which is what you would want to do in TG (tracking generator) mode.

I *could* implement that, but it is not currently on my TODO list.

Why? Because you can just use a noise source to do smilar things. The same guy's selling the SMA devices, sell this low-cost noise source, also. Price is around 15 Euro, but get one with an aluminium case.

The technical reason: I would have to issue commands to two different serial ports, wait for each device to answer and then somehow synchronize everything. Sounds easier than it is to implement and I haven't really tried it.

The two boards you linked are Chinese clones of the official development boards from Analog Devices for their ADF4350/ADF4351 IC's. They can be used to implement a signal generator. Not that useful, I think, but a cheap way of purchasing the IC itself, in case you just need one and can afford the waiting time for shipment.

Regards,
Vitor

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2016, 12:34:02 am »
Hi,

I uploaded a few new versions meanwhile (always worth to check my blog - just click on the small globe under my profile picture).

I noticed that some potential users were not being addressed properly because I implemented a frequency resolution of 1 MHz (which is fine for my aplications, but I accept that there are other applications...).

So the latest release allows frequency input in MHz or KHz and the frequency resolution is now 1 KHz. Frequencies are displayed in MHz with three decimal places.

Regards,
Vitor

PS: Did I mention that I implemented a "satellite identification algorithm through transponder pattern matching"? I am actually proud of it!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:36:19 am by Bicurico »

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2016, 06:03:08 am »
wait a minute, your version now can scan to 12Ghz?
(in any case, i have given away mine to a friend. no RF fun for me for now)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:10:50 am by 3roomlab »

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2016, 07:48:15 am »
No.

The device only supports up to 4.4GHz.

My software can however display either IF or RF. If the user specifies a LOF (local oscillator frequency), frequencies are shown as IF, including full support for inverted spectrum.

This is nice when hooking up satellite LNB in C, Ku or Ka bands.

Regards,
Vitor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf