Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 467651 times)

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2020, 10:33:48 pm »
I am not sure why you would want that.
If you just want to see the actual measurement, the readout function I added in the last version works fine for that. I can also be used if you are a meter or two from the computer (It can show some fairly large fonts).

I mainly use "chart" or "histogram". Therefore I have to switch to the "Commands" tab, to start logging and back again to "Chart" to see the graph. Then back to "Commands" to stop logging. When repeating this several times to watch for spikes in my measurement, it would be easier to have the "Log"-Button directly behind the "Save"-Button on "chart" and "histogram", to skip switching the tabs.

By the way, I have a little setup with an old 15" 1024x768 monitor together with a raspberry pi. Therefore I would like to save a custom resolution format. The resolution is changeable, but unfortunately it is not kept till the next start. Is it possible for me, to change the settings to keep the same values 1024 x 768 beneath "custom" resolution for ever. Even after the next start/reboot?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2020, 07:50:03 am »
I have added a function to save current screen position and size or cancel it again, in will be included in next release.
I do not like the idea about added any user control interface on other pages, the idea with the pages was to isolate each group of functions on a page. So no promises for now.

I saw a youtube video about testing fuses in a non destructive way by Kerry Wong. I believe that could be done much easier using TestController.
I also did it with a simpler hardware configuration. Kerry used a power supply, a electronic load and a DMM, I only uses a power supply with electronic control of the current limiter.
For testing the fuse is connected directly across the power supply output terminals with short wires.
Then I uses this script in the log window:

#logcmds 0
=var current=0.1
=var ps=getDevice("PS")
=setCurrent(ps,current)
=setVoltage(ps,5)
=setOn(ps,1);
#delay 3
#log 0.5
=var r=readVoltage(ps)/readCurrent(ps);
="Initial resistance: "+r
=var rr=r;
#while (rr<r*1.7);
=current=current*1.02;
=setCurrent(ps,current)
#delay 0.5
=rr=readVoltage(ps)/readCurrent(ps);
="Test current: " + readCurrent(ps)+"   Resistance: "+rr
#endwhile
=setOn(ps,0);
#log 0

Using interface functions (instead of SCPI command) means it is independent of the power supply used.
I got a list of currents and resistances in the log window and it hopefully stops before the fuse blows (Most of the time it did):

;; Initial resistance: 0.16494845360824742
;; Test current: 0.099   Resistance: 0.1616161616161616
;; Test current: 0.101   Resistance: 0.16831683168316833
;; Test current: 1.629   Resistance: 0.2658072437077962
;; Test current: 1.66   Resistance: 0.27469879518072293
;; Test current: 1.694   Resistance: 0.2827626918536009

And I got a curve (I added a math expression to get a ohm curve). To get the scales to fit I uses "Auto" "Include 0" with 0.01 as min scale and 100 as bottom step.
The above test was with a 1A fast fuse.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:23:11 am by HKJ »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2020, 08:29:56 am »

A bit fun, how do a piece of solder work as a fuse:
The log window shows:
;; Test current: 14.691   Resistance: 0.06452930365529916
;; Test current: 14.986   Resistance: 0.06446016281863072
;; Test current: 15.286   Resistance: 0.06443804788695538
;; Test current: 0.0   Resistance: Infinity
I.e. it did blow

But the resistance do not increase, before it blows.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2020, 12:46:25 pm »
V0.31 is up.
Doing the above examples I found a few issues, they are fixed now and the saving of screen position and size for startup is on the configuration page.

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2020, 02:19:44 pm »
I mainly use "chart" or "histogram". Therefore I have to switch to the "Commands" tab, to start logging and back again to "Chart" to see the graph. Then back to "Commands" to stop logging. When repeating this several times to watch for spikes in my measurement, it would be easier to have the "Log"-Button directly behind the "Save"-Button on "chart" and "histogram", to skip switching the tabs.

You can do this very fast by using hotkeys.
Assign "#log 0" to F2 and "#log 1" to F3. You do this by writing the command in the log window and mark it, then right click with the mouse and select to assign it on a F key.
Changing between the different pages can be done with ALT-letter, use ALT-C for command and ALT-A for chart.
This means start logging is: ALT-C F3 ALT-A and you are back on the chart. You use F2 to stop logging. It is also possible to assign both #log 0 and #log 1 to the same hotkey, write them on separate lines and mark both lines. This will restart logging with a empty table.

The chart window can also show the last x second of recorded data, simply write -10 for the last 10 seconds in "First sample to display". Negative values are from the end of the buffer.

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2020, 02:22:52 pm »
While testing the fuse test script, I noticed my DP811A definition was missing a # before the interface setOn function. Here it is fixed.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2020, 02:39:52 pm »
While testing the fuse test script, I noticed my DP811A definition was missing a # before the interface setOn function. Here it is fixed.

It was missing on all power supplies |O, I fixed all mine, but I forgot yours. This was the mains reason for my interface test screen, now it is easy to check all functions.
I have updated the zip file with your correction now, but I have not changed the software version.

If you like the script you  can save it and use the "Load and run" button next time you want it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 02:56:35 pm by HKJ »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2020, 10:44:21 am »
I succeeded in moving the file IO from IanB to Java and are getting data from Brymen 869 now. There is a few issues like getting the path, for that I need the hid4Java library and I do not know if the file IO works on anything but Windows.
I will take me a bit of time to implement it in TestController

I have the Brymen BM869S, BM829s and BM525s meters and will work on them (I have tested with BM869S and BM525s, they both work). More meters around the same numbers will also work.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2020, 01:07:03 pm »
Great News :-+ possibly for my Voltcraft VC 940 aka UT71E with its HID USB Adapter. No hurry. I'm old and can wait  :popcorn:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2020, 01:46:59 pm »
HKJ,

Great news, I have the Brymen BM869S, let me know if you need help testing.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2020, 02:08:18 pm »
One help I could use is alternate brand names (i.e. rebranded meters that uses the same interface) for the Brymen meters.
That is for the 3 series: BM869s, BM829s and BM525s
The actual meters are:

BM869s
BM867s

BM829s
BM827s
BM822s
BM821s

BM525s
BM521s

I can see I will have some issues with multiple meters and I only have one interface and one of each meter, this will probably mean there will be problems with multiple meters. How much I do not know yet.

If anybody can test on Linux and Mac it would also be nice

The meters I will try to implement are the meters I have reviewed ( https://lygte-info.dk/info/DMMReviews.html ).

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2020, 06:19:25 pm »
A question. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  :-\

When I use the SDM3055 (while running a temperature measurement with PT1000)
and i start this software and select "temp" using the popup button, does it always switch from PT1000 to Thermocouple at the same time.

Can you prevent this change ?
If the software changes this, can it be corrected again ?
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2020, 07:20:24 pm »
A question. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  :-\

When I use the SDM3055 (while running a temperature measurement with PT1000)
and i start this software and select "temp" using the popup button, does it always switch from PT1000 to Thermocouple at the same time.

Can you prevent this change ?
If the software changes this, can it be corrected again ?

It it does, it must be the default behaviour of the meter. You can change it with a SCPI command.
You can also modify the Temp command or add one more (If you do I am interested in a copy of the file).

Look in the SiglentSDM3055.txt file, this section is the "Temp" command:

#cmdMode Temp TEMP
abort;
*cls;
conf:temp;[50]
sense:temp:nplc 10;

You could duplicate it and make:
#cmdMode Temp_TC TEMP
#cmdMode Temp_RTD1000 TEMP

You will, of course, have to write the correct SCPI commands after each of them and add "Temp_TC" and "Temp_RTD1000" after the "#value Temperature °C D4 Temp" line (Like this: "#value Temperature °C D4 Temp,Temp_TC,Temp_RTD1000").

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2020, 08:11:01 pm »

...It it does, it must be the default behaviour of the meter...

That is correct and will trigger this behavior.
The default (also e.g. after a reset) is Thermocouple (with the type BITS90).

Will try their proposed changes.
Thank you for your effort and attention.
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2020, 08:13:46 pm »
klausES,

You can try the attached, one note the PT1000 does not work on my SDM3065X because the SCPI commanded is missing, it might be the same for the SDM3055. Also made some minor changes from the original file.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2020, 08:26:30 pm »
How about implementing Prema6001 and Schlumberger 7151?

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2020, 08:55:30 pm »
Probably made a mistake with my change.
After that both buttons were available in the popup (also PT1000) but also after the PT1000 button,
the values that would correspond to a thermocouple were displayed instead of a PT1000.

MikeLud,
just tried your file.

When switching from the previously selected KIT S90, directly to PT1000, the currently read value (after a delay of one second) is infinite?!?

The button PT100 has a current value of 0.0000

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2020, 09:38:52 pm »
klausES

Do you have the proper sensors connected when switching sensor types. Also does it show on the display that the sensor type is switching, see screen shots below.

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2020, 09:53:45 pm »
I just checked your objection.

It is like this:

If KIT S90 is selected in the software, the DMM also switches to KIT S90. That's OK.
If the software changes from KIT S90 to PT1000, the DMM but changes to PT100, not PT1000

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2020, 10:17:46 pm »
klausES,

Same issue as my SDM3065X it does not have the SCPI commanded is missing to switch to a PT1000

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2020, 10:23:05 pm »
You want to say that this should basically be fixed in the firmware for these two SDMs ?

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2020, 10:34:20 pm »
Correct.

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2020, 10:34:41 pm »
Perhaps I do not yet understand the relationships between this software and the cooperation with the firmware.  ???

In EasyDMM, the switchover of the sensor types in the software (triggered by the software) is carried out correctly by the device itself.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2020, 09:13:46 am »
Perhaps I do not yet understand the relationships between this software and the cooperation with the firmware.  ???

In EasyDMM, the switchover of the sensor types in the software (triggered by the software) is carried out correctly by the device itself.

I cannot say why, may be different SCPI commands.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2020, 09:27:35 am »
There was a few practical problems with the Brymen, mostly that I did not have access to a timeout and that is required when using the rotary selector on the meter, but I believe it is fixed now.

Remaining jobs: implement decoders for the other two meters, verify all modes* on all meters and locate the meters on the HID interface. All of it takes time, but I do not expect any trouble with it. What can give trouble is multiple Brymen meters on the same computer.

*I may need a bit of help with that, mostly to check if I have missed some modes.

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf