Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489333 times)

Cavhat and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline yaybee

• Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #1875 on: August 28, 2021, 06:19:52 pm »
Hi HKJ,

My last question for the moment; I had a look at the devices with #otherFunc implementations and tried to make one myself.
However Java was not very happy with me  :-//

Modifying the statements from the KeysightU1461A gave me a response, but any addition ended in Java errors
I use syncPopups and syncPopups() with no luck.

Code: [Select]
#otherFunc
if (popupShowQuestion("Recall internally stored Instrument State","ok","Load","Cancel"))
deviceWrite(handle,"VKEY_VALUE,4,STATE,1;[*OPC];VKEY_VALUE,70,STATE,1;[*OPC]");
deviceWrite(handle,"VKEY_VALUE,175,STATE,1;[*OPC]");
deviceWrite(handle,"VKEY_VALUE,13,STATE,1;[*OPC]");
syncPopups();
endif

Resulted in:

;; SDG2122X: Tx <VKEY VALUE,4,STATE,1>
;; SDG2122X: *OPC waited: 44ms
;; SDG2122X: Tx <VKEY VALUE,70,STATE,1>
;; SDG2122X: *OPC waited: 158ms
;; SDG2122X: Tx <VKEY VALUE,175,STATE,1>
;; SDG2122X: *OPC waited: 75ms
;; SDG2122X: Tx <VKEY VALUE,13,STATE,1>
;; SDG2122X: *OPC waited: 191ms
dk.hkj.script.ProgramExceptions$UnknownException: Function not found syncPopups
;
syncPopups();____<----____
endif
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.getFunc(Script.java:93)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseValue(Script.java:268)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseBitOp(Script.java:316)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseProduct(Script.java:388)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseSum(Script.java:470)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseCompare(Script.java:525)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseLogical(Script.java:561)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseQuestionMark(Script.java:587)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseExpression(Script.java:612)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.statement(Script.java:1099)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.doExecute(Script.java:1250)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.execute(Script.java:1270)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.execute(Script.java:1276)
        at dk.hkj.main.DeviceInterface.otherActionsBackground(DeviceInterface.java:943)
        at dk.hkj.main.DeviceInterface.access$5(DeviceInterface.java:923)
        at dk.hkj.main.DeviceInterface$10.run(DeviceInterface.java:917)

Replacing popupShowQuestion by popupCombo did not work at all.

#otherFunc
var instrumentState = "STATE01";
popupCombo("Recall internally stored Instrument State", instrumentState, "STATE01, STATE02, STATE03", "Recall pre-stored C:STATExx.XML files");
var clicks = listIndex(instrumentState,"STATE01 STATE02 STATE03"," ");
deviceWrite(handle,"VKEY_VALUE,4,STATE,1;[*OPC];VKEY_VALUE,70,STATE,1;[*OPC]");
for i=1 to clicks do
endfor
syncPopups;

Resulted in:

dk.hkj.script.ProgramExceptions$UnknownException: null
rnally stored Instrument State", instrumentState, "STATE01, STATE02, STATE03", "Recall pre-stored C:STATExx.XML files");____<----____
var clicks = listIndex(instrumentState,"STATE01 STATE02 STATE03"," ");
deviceWrite(handle,"VKEY_VALUE,4,STATE,1;[*OPC];
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.doExecute(Script.java:1265)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.execute(Script.java:1270)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.execute(Script.java:1276)
        at dk.hkj.main.DeviceInterface.otherActionsBackground(DeviceInterface.java:943)
        at dk.hkj.main.DeviceInterface.access$5(DeviceInterface.java:923)
        at dk.hkj.main.DeviceInterface$10.run(DeviceInterface.java:917)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at dk.hkj.script.FunctionsPopup$15.execute(FunctionsPopup.java:455)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseValue(Script.java:269)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseBitOp(Script.java:316)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseProduct(Script.java:388)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseSum(Script.java:470)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseCompare(Script.java:525)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseLogical(Script.java:561)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseQuestionMark(Script.java:587)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseExpression(Script.java:612)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.statement(Script.java:1099)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.doExecute(Script.java:1250)
        ... 5 more

There are not enough examples to find the right answers. Please correct my second example so I can run it.
Some guidance on this subject is highly appreciated.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1876 on: August 29, 2021, 08:23:37 am »
I found a bug in your selector processing.
When the selector switches to another entry AND this entry has THE SAME NUMBER of displayed items then an error occurs:
the text fields of the LAST ITEM in the active entry are not cleared before the new text is written.
This gives overlapping text in the Setup window for these items; see attached pictures.

Fixed, I had to issue a repaint for the control.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1877 on: August 29, 2021, 08:31:52 am »
My last question for the moment; I had a look at the devices with #otherFunc implementations and tried to make one myself.
However Java was not very happy with me  :-//

Modifying the statements from the KeysightU1461A gave me a response, but any addition ended in Java errors
I use syncPopups and syncPopups() with no luck.

#syncPopups is a command, not a function.
You can get around that by using runScript() or runScriptAsync() functions.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1878 on: August 29, 2021, 08:49:12 am »
I finished my exercise with the Testcontroller Setup function for the Siglent SDGxxxxX.
Nearly all SCPI commands have been implemented and are as best as possible tested on the SDG2041/SDG2122.
I also had a look at the scripting interface and the settings for the different models in the #metadefs.

Ok, I will replace the old SDG file with yours.
Note I get two errors when reading the file:
dk.hkj.devices.SetupFormats$RadioField - Ampl_Coupling_Type - Line do not contain 2 parameters: _
dk.hkj.devices.SetupFormats$RadioField - Phase_Coupling_Type - Line do not contain 2 parameters: _

The build-in frequency counter had been configured, but can at this moment not be used in conjunction with the current scripting interface.
In the file you find the explanation how to switch between the two modes manually.
I wanted to make a solution with different MODES, but that is not possible because the SDG does not support a mode indicator variable.
I hope HKJ has look at it and makes a solution.

Can't you check if the frequency counter is on?

@HKJ, has the fix for the underscore in read/write been released yet?

No, but it can be downloaded from the test link
It may be a good idea to say what version is required and include a link to the test version in the post when the definition use a test version.

Offline yaybee

• Contributor
« Reply #1879 on: August 29, 2021, 06:10:38 pm »
Note I get two errors when reading the file:
dk.hkj.devices.SetupFormats$RadioField - Ampl_Coupling_Type - Line do not contain 2 parameters: _
dk.hkj.devices.SetupFormats$RadioField - Phase_Coupling_Type - Line do not contain 2 parameters: _

I overlooked those underscores, but it does not impact the functionality. Attached is a version without these errors.

Can't you check if the frequency counter is on?

I did some tests with the counter after enabling the FCOUNTER script interface in de config. The ARB on CH1 puts out a sweep signal from 10k to 100k and this is measured with the counter (cable from CH1 to Counter input). Here is the small test script:

#scriptMenu Siglent ARB; Frequency counter test
#scriptInterface ARB setOn setOnCounter setCounterFreqRef
#logcmds 0
="Start counting"
=var arb=getDevice("ARB")
=setOn(arb,1);
=setCounterFreqRef(arb, 55k)
=setOnCounter(arb,1);
#log 2
#delay 40
#log 0
=setOnCounter(arb,0);
=setOn(arb,0);
="Done"

You cannot get counter info from a script with your special #askValuesProcessor SiglentSDG. There are different key names.
You have to use #askValues FCNT? and then #askValuesMathFormat ... to get the values.
As far as I know this cannot be combined with the standard values for CH1&2.
So it has to be changed to:

; A list of column name with unit and formatter
#value Frequency Hz SI
#value RefDeviation ppm D2
#value DutyCycle % D1
; How to poll for data, this is used for table and #values?
#askValues FCNT?
#askValuesMathFormat getMatchGroup(value,"FRQ,(.*?)HZ",1) + " " + getMatchGroup(value,"FRQDEV,(.*?)ppm",1) + " " + getElement(getMatch(value,"DUTY,[^,]*(,|$)"),1,",")

Attached are the created tables for #log 0.5 and #log 2. It seems that the counter takes between 1-2 sec to output a new measurement.
Also attached is the settings for CH1.

No, but it can be downloaded from the test link
It may be a good idea to say what version is required and include a link to the test version in the post when the definition use a test version.

It is mentioned in the config file. Here is the link:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/msg3618040/#msg3618040

#syncPopups is a command, not a function.
You can get around that by using runScript() or runScriptAsync() functions.

I will try that, but I still get a Java null error on my comboBox function and I have no idea what is wrong. Please have a look at it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 06:17:26 pm by yaybee »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1880 on: August 29, 2021, 07:25:53 pm »
I will try that, but I still get a Java null error on my comboBox function and I have no idea what is wrong. Please have a look at it.

You cannot just use a popupCombobox, you need popupInit(title);popupCombo(text,varName,list{,tip});popupShow(x,y);
I do not believe I have documented these functions, but there are similar #commands and functions for popups. Only problem with the functions is that they are not linked to the TC window. The list is a array, you can use either array() or split() to make it.

Example:
=var aaa="b";popupInit("Hi");popupCombo("Value","aaa",split("a;b;c",";"));popupShow(0,0);
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 07:30:04 pm by HKJ »

Offline MeterReader

• Contributor
« Reply #1881 on: August 29, 2021, 09:12:03 pm »
I looked for an import method and have come up short.

At the moment, my pressing concern is how to move the alarm popup that was accidentally launched while full screen. It's insisting on being on top of everything! lol

edit: Ok, I was able to click on the very bottom edge of the popup when the double-sided arrow appears to resize a window. Just a single click on that brought the top of the window down so I could then move it. Whew! I had a long test started and didn't want to reset everything!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:26:31 pm by MeterReader »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1882 on: August 29, 2021, 09:35:59 pm »
I looked for an import method and have come up short.

On the Table page, together with Load, Save and Export

At the moment, my pressing concern is how to move the alarm popup that was accidentally launched while full screen. It's insisting on being on top of everything! lol

edit: Ok, I was able to click on the very bottom edge of the popup when the double-sided arrow appears to resize a window. Just a single click on that brought the top of the window down so I could then move it. Whew! I had a long test started and didn't want to reset everything!

A key press will close the visual alarm window or a click on the X in the upper corner (Windows)

Offline MeterReader

• Contributor
« Reply #1883 on: August 30, 2021, 01:06:54 am »
I'm going to have to play around with the import option more. I seem to have a propensity to display things in a way doesn't show what I'm after.

I'm not sure what key press closes the alarm window. Tried escape, but I was afraid to get too adventurous with the key pressing because I didn't want to have to restart the test.

The problem was the alarm title bar spawns 100 pixels above the main Test Controller title bar. So depending on the position of Test Controller when the alarm is opened, or if Test Controller is full-screen, the alarm title bar(and X) may end up where the user can not click on it. But clicking on the bottom of the alarm window(when the resize cursor appeared) brought it down.

It would still be nice to be able to close the alarm window once set because it's always on top. And I don't really need an alarm, I just want to set the low-voltage cut-off. One thing I discovered by accident is the cut-off in the load still works if I forget the alarm window altogether.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1884 on: August 30, 2021, 09:08:27 am »
I'm going to have to play around with the import option more. I seem to have a propensity to display things in a way doesn't show what I'm after.

When importing it is important to select the correct reference, usually it is Time, but when changing the x-scale you will most probably be the same as the new x-scale.

I'm not sure what key press closes the alarm window. Tried escape, but I was afraid to get too adventurous with the key pressing because I didn't want to have to restart the test.

The problem was the alarm title bar spawns 100 pixels above the main Test Controller title bar. So depending on the position of Test Controller when the alarm is opened, or if Test Controller is full-screen, the alarm title bar(and X) may end up where the user can not click on it. But clicking on the bottom of the alarm window(when the resize cursor appeared) brought it down.

It would still be nice to be able to close the alarm window once set because it's always on top. And I don't really need an alarm, I just want to set the low-voltage cut-off. One thing I discovered by accident is the cut-off in the load still works if I forget the alarm window altogether.

I was thing about the alarm popup, not the regular alarm window. You can close with ALT-F4 and then more the TC frame a bit down. To avoid this in the future checkmark "Restore popup locations" on the Configuration page, then it will remember the last location where you got it and always open at that location.

Offline MeterReader

• Contributor
« Reply #1885 on: August 30, 2021, 06:59:19 pm »
I thought what I was using was called the Alarm popup. To get whatever it is I've been using, I go to the Commands tab, then click Popups, then click Alarm.

There's a "regular" alarm window? In hopes of finding something that doesn't require an always-on-top popup to be open to have low-voltage cut-off, I searched google for "test controller" "alarm" site:lygte-info.dk, but the only reference I'm seeing is to the alarm popup I've been using. If I Ctrl+F on the intro page, the alarm popup is the only thing I'm finding reference to.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1886 on: August 30, 2021, 10:53:54 pm »
 :popcorn:
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1887 on: August 31, 2021, 05:16:28 am »
I thought what I was using was called the Alarm popup. To get whatever it is I've been using, I go to the Commands tab, then click Popups, then click Alarm.

It is the alarm window and it can show a visual alarm window.

There's a "regular" alarm window? In hopes of finding something that doesn't require an always-on-top popup to be open to have low-voltage cut-off, I searched google for "test controller" "alarm" site:lygte-info.dk, but the only reference I'm seeing is to the alarm popup I've been using. If I Ctrl+F on the intro page, the alarm popup is the only thing I'm finding reference to.

You will have to use scripting if you want to avoid the alarm window. It is not very complicated.

Copy these two lines into the log window and change the expression after #wait to match your load value:

#wait IT8512.Voltage>3
#off

Then press the RUN button and first time the load voltage goes below the specified value it will be turned off.
You can do a lot more with scripting, like starting and stopping logging (#log 1 & #log 0) and turning the load on.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1888 on: September 02, 2021, 11:00:07 am »
V1.79 is up
It contains one new popup, a few modification and new devices.
   Added: Log event popup, this will log for a specified time or until a specified value and turn devices on/off.
   Changed: New definition file for Siglent SDG (Thanks yaybee)
   Fixed: Device setup did not always update correct when using selector controls.
   Changed: _ can be escaped in SCPI commands to get a _ instead of a space
   Added: East Tester ET5420 dual channel electronic load (Thanks AlexD)
   Added: Support for :enable: tag in button fields.

The new popup is very useful for testing batteries, without needing a script:

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1889 on: September 02, 2021, 11:03:55 am »
A example of the new popup used to test a battery:

First I configure the load for desired discharge current and remote sense.

Next I open the LogEvent setup and defined the final voltage, here I use 2.5V. Then pressed Start

After some time I have this curve.

That can be formattet, I used these commands to do it (They can be copied to the log window and executed with the run button):

#CHARTSCALENAME IT8512.Voltage "Battery voltage"
#CHARTSCALENAME IT8512.Capacity "Capacity"
#CHARTCURVES IT8512.Voltage
#CHARTX IT8512.Capacity
#CHARTANNOTATE text "Discharge 5A" LB 0 3.0 red 3
#CHARTTITLE "Keeppower 26650 5200mAh P2652U"
#SAVECHART BatteryTestCurveFormatted

;To remove all formatting again
#CHARTRESET
#CHARTANNOTATE

« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:06:51 am by HKJ »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1890 on: September 02, 2021, 06:50:56 pm »
Oops I just realized that the new Log Event was not visible, it is fixed now and the version is 1.80

Offline MeterReader

• Contributor
« Reply #1891 on: September 04, 2021, 01:41:46 pm »
I downloaded 1.79 and didn't see the new thing, but didn't ask because I probably ask too many questions! lol I'm glad to see it in 1.8.

I just loaded it up and clicked the setup popup and noticed my current was set to 40 amps. I did not set that. I've been testing a cell at 4 amps, but other than that, 10 amps is the highest I've loaded this thing yet, and that was without software. Just a rubber band on an 18650 and the front panel. I clicked "set" on the front panel on the load and indeed 40 amps sent to the load. Yikes if I had just started another test! This is on my desktop, but I first loaded 1.8 on my laptop and that massive current setting did not occur.

What else have I somehow magically messed up about my configuration to cause the load to not turn off at the set cut-off voltage(in this case 2.75V)? Mine continues on for several seconds while the current waffles about before eventually stopping. I thought it was only happening at "high" current(2 - 4A), but at "low" current(100mA) I notice it as well, the last few seconds were merely compressed on the chart due to the longer discharge time.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 01:47:39 pm by MeterReader »

Offline MeterReader

• Contributor
« Reply #1892 on: September 05, 2021, 05:10:24 am »
I decided to do a test with a 2.5V cut-off, but it didn't get that far before it got worse than ever.

So I just manually turned off the load.

I did another test with a 2.8V cut-off and everything was perfect. So I guess if I see weird current at the end of a test, I know to up the cut-off voltage.

I noticed if I put "2.8V" in my chart filename, it wouldn't add the .CSV extension. This precludes importing it because there's no way to override the file extension filter when importing. I manually added .CSV to the end of the filename and then it worked.

edit: I'm blind, there's an "all files" option.  :-//
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 05:13:06 am by MeterReader »

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #1893 on: September 05, 2021, 10:54:43 am »
I decided to do a test with a 2.5V cut-off, but it didn't get that far before it got worse than ever.
[snip]
I did another test with a 2.8V cut-off and everything was perfect. So I guess if I see weird current at the end of a test, I know to up the cut-off voltage.

Maybe your cell includes a protection circuit that is cutting off just below 2.8V?  e.g. S-8211CAN-M5T1x

Offline MeterReader

• Contributor
« Reply #1894 on: September 05, 2021, 11:44:05 am »
Don't protected cells typically go 0 volts at the user terminals when the protection activates? Then there's a period of recovery before they're released again and pass the recovery voltage threshold?

Regardless, I don't think there's any protection on this cell I've been testing at 4A. Ovoid pouch lipo with just solder terminals.

Just weird how I was 6 or 7 thousandths of a volt from completion with more than one test in a row before I upped the cut-off to 2.8V. I was so confused I hooked up my DMM and set it to MIN. Each time the lowest voltage it would detect was 2.757V while the KP184 and TC were reading 2.756V before going nuts.

It might be neat to check a box at the beginning of a test that would complete the test if the set current started to falter.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1895 on: September 05, 2021, 11:58:53 am »

I have no idea why you are having these trouble, I do not have a KP184 load and cannot verify anything.

I noticed if I put "2.8V" in my chart filename, it wouldn't add the .CSV extension.

The problem is that I made it possible to override the default extension. Maybe that was not a good idea?

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1896 on: September 06, 2021, 04:35:29 pm »
HKJ,

Couple of questions.

In the Chart, Histogram, and Range tabs at the bottom there are entry boxes for "First sample to display".  I get entering 1.5s for starting at 1.5 seconds or 1.5m for starting at 1.5 minutes.  But, I thought in the early versions of Test Controller that entering just a bare number/no units would start at that sample number.  However with all the recent versions entering just a number selects that number of seconds for the first point.  Is there a way to enter just a starting sample number and not a time index?

When using the ascii driver to send/receive binary values over a serial port is it possible to define a scpiCmd that uses another scpiCmd?  For example define:

#scpiCmd readByte? txrx1Bin? \x(hex(0xFE&value,2))\x00

which reads one byte from the device at the command's argument address and then define additional scpiCmd's that use this command like:

#scpiCmd getMyValue? readByte? value

When I try something like the above and execute getMyValue 0x40 the debug window shows:

getMyValue? 0x40
   ;; S200: Tx <getMyValue? 0x40>
   ;; S200: Tx <readByte? value>
   ;; S200: Rx Timeout

and nothing else.  The above tells me nothing is sent to the device and certainly no value is returned since it complains about a Timeout.  If I execute the readByte command by itself instead of using it inside a second command it properly does:

readByte 0x40
   ;; S200: Tx <readByte 0x40>
   ;; S200: Tx <txrx1Bin? \x(hex(0xFE&value,2))\x00
   ;; COM4: TxBin: <@.> 40 00
   ;; COM4: RxBin: B0
   ;;176

So, is there a way to define a scpiCmd with the ascii driver that uses other defined scpiCmd's in its definition?

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #1897 on: September 06, 2021, 04:57:21 pm »
Is there a way to enter just a starting sample number and not a time index?

Prefix the number with # to specify sample number.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/msg3047118/?topicseen#msg3047118

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1898 on: September 06, 2021, 05:11:19 pm »
In the Chart, Histogram, and Range tabs at the bottom there are entry boxes for "First sample to display".  I get entering 1.5s for starting at 1.5 seconds or 1.5m for starting at 1.5 minutes.  But, I thought in the early versions of Test Controller that entering just a bare number/no units would start at that sample number.  However with all the recent versions entering just a number selects that number of seconds for the first point.  Is there a way to enter just a starting sample number and not a time index?

Use a # before the number, it is also in the tool tip.

Note: If the time column is missing it will index on samples.

When using the ascii driver to send/receive binary values over a serial port is it possible to define a scpiCmd that uses another scpiCmd? 

Sorry, but no. I did not make the handling of #scpiCmd recursive, it is only one level.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 05:12:55 pm by HKJ »

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1899 on: September 06, 2021, 06:46:40 pm »
HKJ,

Thanks for the quick answer.  Sorry I missed the explanation in the tool tip....I need to read more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf