Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 483291 times)

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #2225 on: January 19, 2022, 02:58:34 pm »
Thanks for this hint, I will search for a „non-echo-setting“.

Edit:
Isn't that simple in (mirco)python as I thought. If I'll got it running I post it as example for others.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:40:11 pm by Bad_Driver »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2226 on: January 19, 2022, 07:35:59 pm »
Thanks for this hint, I will search for a „non-echo-setting“.

Edit:
Isn't that simple in (mirco)python as I thought. If I'll got it running I post it as example for others.

I am sure there is a way to disable echo, it is only when using a terminal program you want it, for any other purpose you do not want any.

If you get some useful Micropyton code I would be happy to post it as examples on the TC part of my website (of course with credit to you).

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
« Reply #2227 on: January 19, 2022, 08:49:50 pm »
I am now done with my 4 channel Temperature logger for Test Controller
I use I2C sensors TMP275, all the sensors i got, track within 1 LSB in 12 bit mode = 0.0625C initial
so i dont see any need for calibration yet.
if any one like to know more, i plan to share all files for free, and they can be used for non commercial purpose.
you need : arduino uno with socket or atmega328pu with arduino bootloader
3D printer, PCB CNC, or etching, or order the pcb's from jlc,
so i plan to give away all gerber files too,
arduino sw is a combo of HKJ demo and I2C temperature demo,
and a modified HKJ serial config file, if any one like to know more, PM me..

Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.

The following users thanked this post: ledtester, Bad_Driver

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2228 on: January 20, 2022, 03:41:17 pm »
I use I2C sensors TMP275, all the sensors i got, track within 1 LSB in 12 bit mode = 0.0625C initial
so i dont see any need for calibration yet.
if any one like to know more, i plan to share all files for free, and they can be used for non commercial purpose.
you need : arduino uno with socket or atmega328pu with arduino bootloader
3D printer, PCB CNC, or etching, or order the pcb's from jlc,
so i plan to give away all gerber files too,
arduino sw is a combo of HKJ demo and I2C temperature demo,
and a modified HKJ serial config file, if any one like to know more, PM me..

If you want I can put it up on my website.
I would like a section with user designs where people can read a description, see a picture and then download a zipfile with the project.

The following users thanked this post: oz2cpu

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2229 on: January 20, 2022, 07:13:03 pm »
I got my DS18b20-interface based on ESP32 and Micropython running with 7 sensors parallel (makes no sense but for testing).
Thanks to HKJ for his hint with "echo". I will prepare it during the next days for you all here. Stay tuned.

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2230 on: January 21, 2022, 08:14:40 am »
please show us curves, how well all your seven DS18B20 track ?
zoom into the last bit of their resolution.
tape them all good together, and isolate them, wrap two socks around them, this should make you sure they are all exactly the same temperature.

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2231 on: January 22, 2022, 06:10:02 pm »
Sorry I killed my last ESP32 with wrong power supply. It will take some days before I have replacement.   

Short answer: precision of DS18b20 depends on the badge/supplier you bought (from). I had 2 older ones and 5 new bought. The new ones seems to have more differences but all differs about. 0.5 degrees from each other. I missed to make a screenshot. In the past I did a 2 point calibration with ESPeasy and this is easy to implement. May be later.

And it seems that TestController allows „only“ 6 graphs at the same time. (what is really enough!)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2232 on: January 22, 2022, 07:09:33 pm »
And it seems that TestController allows „only“ 6 graphs at the same time. (what is really enough!)

I put the limit at 6 because each one requires a scale and 6 scales takes up a lot of space, i.e. very little space for the actual chart.
I have added a function to combine scales, but it can only be accessed from the command line, if I get around to make a popup for it I may increase the limit to 8 or 10 (That would be useful for battery discharge charts at multiple currents).

Note: For digital signals the limit is much higher, because they share one scale.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:11:43 pm by HKJ »

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2233 on: January 22, 2022, 07:56:21 pm »
Thanks bad-driver, so far all my own sensors are from same batch, so the performance benchmark seems unfair
so far all them i tried to compare, align to last bit, this dont say much about accuracy, only repeatability.

if TC could allow me to lock ? or fix ? or assign ? 6-12 inputs of same type, voltage or current or temperature ?
to use SAME scale settings, it will make my work more easy, as it is now, it is a little bit of a hazzle to change many min-max values, at the same time.
and this way let me see more, at the same time, but I guess, i could also start TC multible times ?
as long as the PC can handle the load, but then data will not be on the same chart.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2234 on: January 22, 2022, 08:25:52 pm »
if TC could allow me to lock ? or fix ? or assign ? 6-12 inputs of same type, voltage or current or temperature ?
to use SAME scale settings, it will make my work more easy, as it is now, it is a little bit of a hazzle to change many min-max values, at the same time.

You can do that for up to 6 curves with the #CHARTSCALESYNC command.

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2235 on: January 22, 2022, 08:36:54 pm »
wow nice.. please explain a total noob how to execute this ?
i am still very erly in the process of learning how to use TC
it looks like it can do so much more, than is seen at first glance

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2236 on: January 22, 2022, 08:57:04 pm »
wow nice.. please explain a total noob how to execute this ?

If you type the the command on the command line you will get a explanation in the help field.
Basically you have to type the full name of the curves after the command.

i am still very erly in the process of learning how to use TC
it looks like it can do so much more, than is seen at first glance

I have packed a lot of functionality into TC and not everything is obvious at first glance. Most of it is explained on the help pages (That can usually be reached by pressing F1), but that only explains the functions, not very much about how they can be used.
One example is the function "Param sweeper" it can do some very advanced automatic tests, like testing a converter (boost or buck) at multiple input voltage and varying load and generate charts of the result.

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2237 on: January 23, 2022, 09:15:13 am »
I got it again running after some rework tonight. 6 graphs are enough because you can easily switch between with the help of the switch boxes. Since I use a 4k monitor I have enough space for many many axis but I understand the reason for the limit.

I noticed it only since I connected all my 7 sensors at the same time. Regarding the ongoing discussion in another thread at EEVBLOG (siglent DMM) I think, the digital sensors are much handier as all this thermocouples, you have no connection issues etc.

OZ2CPU, if you want to change all limits and scales at the same time, than you can in „scales for chart“ mark the rows
and change all limits with the help of the limit fields on the bottom of the screen.

I come back later in the afternoon with images and a description of my little Micropython program and my bread board solution and the results of my ongoing measurment.

I started coding 45 years ago at high school with PASCAL and did a lot of assembler (Z80) at university but for more than 30 years I made not a single program. For people like me Python is much easier compared to Arduino C and with the help of the Micropython development environment you can step by step interpreter-like develop you solution.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 09:16:59 am by Bad_Driver »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2238 on: January 23, 2022, 10:03:55 am »
I got it again running after some rework tonight. 6 graphs are enough because you can easily switch between with the help of the switch boxes. Since I use a 4k monitor I have enough space for many many axis but I understand the reason for the limit.

Just to clarify: What you call switch boxes is checkboxes in the user interface, it is not some external hardware.

I noticed it only since I connected all my 7 sensors at the same time. Regarding the ongoing discussion in another thread at EEVBLOG (siglent DMM) I think, the digital sensors are much handier as all this thermocouples, you have no connection issues etc.

IC sensors (Both analog and digital) are useful and fairly precise in normal ambient temperatures (Something like -40°C to 150°C), but cannot be used if you want to measure 500°C, that is for thermocoulers and the usually 1-2°C tolerance is not a big deal. For really precise temperature measurement platinum RTD sensors are used.

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2239 on: January 23, 2022, 10:12:26 am »
Sorry, my english is not as good as yours. I mean „check boxes“

For my bench testing and working the range up to about 100 degrees seems to be enough but I agree, there are many other situations where you need much higher temperature measurements thermocouples are needed.

For more than 1 year I protocol the temps of my floor heating tubes with ESPeasy, 8x DS18b20 and Domoticz via WiFi.

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2240 on: January 23, 2022, 11:44:53 am »
Attached you find the recording of last night with 7x DS18b20, 6 shown in the diagram.
All 3 seconds a reading, average of 40 readings. The peak in the beginning of recording came from my handling with the sensors.
(averages of the first 6 sensors as popup, you see that one sensor is a bit out of range)

- photos of my breadboard setup (I used an old ESP32 board with display ripped of)
- a measurement with a lab thermometer as proof
- my Micropython program
- the TC definition file (very simple)

How to use Micropython?

- install "Thonny" as environment (https://thonny.org/)
- connect your ESP32 to the PC
- install Micropython from Thonny (google is your friend)
- load my program file
- start it and enjoy
- you can store the little program as "main.py" on the esp32 board, than it starts after powering up without PC connection.

The USB connection of the ESP32 board is used as interface for REPL in Thonny (REPL = Read Evaluate Print Loop, the interactive console).
Since you can't use this interface for TC (echo problem), you have to use one of the UARTs of the ESP32. I will try to find a WiFi socket solution but I can't promise this now.
I used URAT#2. Identify the pins of TX/RX of UART2 and connect the USB-adaptor.

Identify the ESP32 pin for connecting the DS18b20. All in parallel, don't forget 4.7k resistor between Vcc and data line.

The Micropython program is simple and has some comments and can be used for other sensor.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:13:50 pm by Bad_Driver »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2241 on: January 24, 2022, 11:37:30 am »
Attached you find the recording of last night with 7x DS18b20, 6 shown in the diagram.

Is it ok to put it on my website?

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2242 on: January 24, 2022, 03:56:36 pm »
Yes, of course!

I try to get a socket connection via WiFi instead of all the UART/RX/TX/USB-wiring. This can be helpful for all serial connected devices but it will take some time.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2243 on: January 25, 2022, 09:00:21 am »
Here's a file for the Keysight DSOX2014A.  Modified gby's Tektronix file.

It's a work in progress but at least it doesn't crash or freeze.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 09:03:40 am by bicycleguy »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2244 on: January 25, 2022, 12:35:22 pm »
Yes, of course!

It is up: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerUserProjects1%20UK.html

I try to get a socket connection via WiFi instead of all the UART/RX/TX/USB-wiring. This can be helpful for all serial connected devices but it will take some time.

If you make another version I can add two zip files to the project.

A note to the code: It would work better if you can use the RTOS (i.e. multitasking OS) and split the gathering of sensor data and the command loop into two separate threads (I have no idea if it is possible in python). Only responding to command every few seconds makes TC very sluggish when using the "Current values" tab.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2245 on: January 25, 2022, 12:35:58 pm »

I can see you added a few other models.
The definition will be included in the next release of TC

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2246 on: January 25, 2022, 12:38:25 pm »

If you want it on my website, please send me a zip file with everything in it, you can see on bad_drivers project how I plan on publishing it.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2247 on: January 25, 2022, 05:27:36 pm »

I can see you added a few other models.
The definition will be included in the next release of TC
The current file has a few customizations that suited my project.  I should probably take them out before you add to a release.  For instance, the current values for tables and charts are ch1 peak-peak, ch2 peak-peak, ch3 peak-peak (but shows A) and ch4 is used for phase between ch1 and ch2.  I haven't figured out how to make this not hard coded or better yet be able to switch between functions for each channel and only show the desired in current values.
Any idea when the next release?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2248 on: January 25, 2022, 05:45:41 pm »
The current file has a few customizations that suited my project.  I should probably take them out before you add to a release.  For instance, the current values for tables and charts are ch1 peak-peak, ch2 peak-peak, ch3 peak-peak (but shows A) and ch4 is used for phase between ch1 and ch2.  I haven't figured out how to make this not hard coded or better yet be able to switch between functions for each channel and only show the desired in current values.

You cannot change column names, but you can switch between active columns with modes and it is possible to use multiple modes.
Any mode switching must be done from the mode popup, not from setup popup.

If you post a new version I will update the file.

Any idea when the next release?

Not really, basically I post updates when I have a couple of additions or fixes. I do have some now, but nothing very important.
The most interesting for the next release is a new version of the serial library, that will support the new processors used for MAC and Windows PC's.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2249 on: January 25, 2022, 08:31:25 pm »
Here's a new file for the Keysight DSOX2014A.
Changes for Rev A:
   1. A few bug fixes in the setup window.
   2. Since I don't know how to do this correctly, made it so others can look at the file and hopefully see better how to change for their use.
        chan1 V
        chan2 Vpeak to peak
        chan3 Vavg
        chan4 Vrms

With a complex 4 channel oscilloscope with 16 digital I/O there's way to many options.  I'm trying to think of the minimum that makes sense to be able to setup remotely.  I seems to make more sense to setup with the actual oscilloscope controls and just start, stop ect. remotely, which it does pretty good now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf