Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 580538 times)

Offline Gediminas

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #3525 on: June 14, 2024, 04:38:33 am »
Simple question: how to update Test Controller to new version while keeping all settings?

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3526 on: June 14, 2024, 04:53:47 am »
Simple question: how to update Test Controller to new version while keeping all settings?

TC always keeps all settings, they are stored in ...\Documents\TestController\Settings.
Homemade definitions can be stored in ...\Documents\TestController\Devices to keep them (#meta definitions cannot).

This means new versions of TC can overwrite old TC or be installed in another directory without damaging any settings.

The following users thanked this post: Gediminas

Offline Gediminas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3527 on: June 14, 2024, 05:00:30 am »

TC always keeps all settings, they are stored in ...\Documents\TestController\Settings.
Homemade definitions can be stored in ...\Documents\TestController\Devices to keep them (#meta definitions cannot).

This means new versions of TC can overwrite old TC or be installed in another directory without damaging any settings.

Thank you very much!

Offline adso85swe

• Contributor
« Reply #3528 on: June 14, 2024, 06:52:45 am »
A bit of a noob question, and thats because I am totally new to Raspberry Pi, but does anyone by any chance know how to run TestController from a Raspberry Pi / Linux? The .jar file is not acting like a executable file on the RPi, instead it just opens another level of folders with various operation systems names. I tried to find executables inside these, especially the Linux folders, but with no luck.
I'm sure I will find a way forward if I tinkle a bit more, but hey, sometimes asking in the forums is the quicker way to go  :)

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3529 on: June 14, 2024, 07:37:20 am »
A bit of a noob question, and thats because I am totally new to Raspberry Pi, but does anyone by any chance know how to run TestController from a Raspberry Pi / Linux? The .jar file is not acting like a executable file on the RPi, instead it just opens another level of folders with various operation systems names. I tried to find executables inside these, especially the Linux folders, but with no luck.
I'm sure I will find a way forward if I tinkle a bit more, but hey, sometimes asking in the forums is the quicker way to go  :)

You will have to set the x attribute on it or use the tcrun file (Again with x attribute).
chmod a+x TestController.jar
chmod a+x tcrun
chmod a+x tcrundebug

You must also install java, or get a linux image with java.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 07:39:27 am by HKJ »

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3530 on: June 14, 2024, 08:43:49 am »
Idea -  maybe you can add THD, SINAD to FFT view? With a good sound card or fast multimeter like DMM6500 actually this can be quite usefull thing

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3531 on: June 14, 2024, 09:15:39 am »
Idea -  maybe you can add THD, SINAD to FFT view? With a good sound card or fast multimeter like DMM6500 actually this can be quite usefull thing

You want THD and SINAD for very low frequencies?

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3532 on: June 14, 2024, 09:21:14 am »
THD for low frequencywill be usefull for electricians  but I meant THD for up to 20kHz or so.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3533 on: June 14, 2024, 09:35:52 am »
THD for low frequencywill be usefull for electricians  but I meant THD for up to 20kHz or so.

TC can only log to about 100Hz, this sort of precludes 20kHz. Only exception is if you load data from faster logging devices into TC.

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3534 on: June 14, 2024, 09:40:49 am »
Sure, that was the reason to  mention sound card or DMM65000 as devices.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3535 on: June 14, 2024, 12:06:59 pm »
Sure, that was the reason to  mention sound card or DMM65000 as devices.

TC support both devices directly, but at slow sample rates.
A soundcard may sample fast, but TC converts the data to rms and peak values and then log at the slow rate.

I will take a look at it.

The following users thanked this post: adso85swe

Offline adso85swe

• Contributor
« Reply #3536 on: June 15, 2024, 10:55:11 am »

You will have to set the x attribute on it or use the tcrun file (Again with x attribute).
chmod a+x TestController.jar
chmod a+x tcrun
chmod a+x tcrundebug

You must also install java, or get a linux image with java.

Thanks, I got it to run.
I thought Raspberry Pi OS came with Java pre-installed, but that was obviously not the case  :)

Offline fricci

• Contributor
« Reply #3537 on: June 15, 2024, 11:16:33 am »
I did some test about parameter passing and I successfully passed / retrieved a  single parameter, but what if I have to pass more than one?
Can I directly retrieve a command line parameter using something like params[0] or they are retrieved all in single bunch using "value" and I have to do the parsing of parameters to extract them once retrieved by "value"?

There is no special code for parameter passing, all parameters are passed in a single line, you can split it and isolate the different parameters.

I easily did it but I'm thinking to give up......
I was doing what I thought to be something simple, but I really didn't succeed to understand how variables work in a TC's device definitions then I am not able to write a working function using some parameters passing (in/out). I didn't understand their scope, how to declare them, to retrieve their value, and probably also how to assign a value to a variable.

What I was going to do is write something simple, a function to set or reset a bit passing it the bit position as parameter, in a 16 bit register which value is also passed as parameter (alternatevely passing the register address as parameter, but this is surely a bit more complex).
The function has simply to return the new register value which the calling function has to write to the desidered register.

I coded quickly a working function (#scpiCmd MyFunction #pgm#) passing it immediate values as parameters (like 256,3,1 - Set bit 3 to 1, 256 is the initial register value).
The trouble begun trying to pass parameters as LastRegValue,3,1.
Any temptative I did was unsuccessful, using parentesis does not solve.
Defining it using :setvar: LastRegValue=value in a #scpiCmd was ineffective. OK, I thought it has a local scope and I cannot reference it in a #cmdsetup# where I need to call my function, then I tryed to define LastRegValue as Globalvar in a #scpiCmd SetVars #pgm# command called in initCmd at the beginning. I can correctly retrieve its value from the command line and in my function, but I cannot set the global variable with the necessary value inside a #cmdsetup# calling a working #scpiCmd# that retrieves the register's value.

Similary for the function return value. I tried to use print(returnvalue) as described but I cannot retrieve its value anywhere. The use of a global variable seems to work (I am not absolutely sure, I did too much tentatives to be sure of it).

At this point I suppose variables in TC work in an unusual way and surely I did not understand it.

Offline adso85swe

• Contributor
« Reply #3538 on: June 15, 2024, 11:56:45 am »
Follow up on TestController on Raspberry Pi. Sorry for the noob level again  :-[

In the Load Devices tab, what format is expected for the device address? On Windows devices its simply the COM port number on the format e.g. “COM2”, but on Raspberry Pi OS when I check for my usb devices by typing lsusb in the terminal, the device info is typical on the format:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0206:8001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT 232 Serial (UART) IC

As an example for my Uni-T UT61D. But what part of this ID information goes into the address line in TestController and in what format?

EDIT: I found the format by obviously using the scan serial port function, then I got all devices suggested in the drop down meny. Easy fix  :palm:

The format was e.g. “ttyUSB0” for anyone wondering
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 12:03:56 pm by adso85swe »

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3539 on: June 16, 2024, 07:13:22 pm »
I easily did it but I'm thinking to give up......
I was doing what I thought to be something simple, but I really didn't succeed to understand how variables work in a TC's device definitions then I am not able to write a working function using some parameters passing (in/out). I didn't understand their scope, how to declare them, to retrieve their value, and probably also how to assign a value to a variable.

At this time I will not answer your questions directly, but I have started on a more general explanation on how some stuff works in TC.

All people are welcome to comment on it and add ideas about what to include and if I need to expand some areas.

My first version is here http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerProgramming%20UK.html it is not linked into the general TC documentation yet and can only be access by the above link.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #3540 on: June 16, 2024, 10:23:03 pm »
%20 in the URL means you left a space in the filename. It's better not to do that.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3541 on: June 17, 2024, 08:21:03 am »
%20 in the URL means you left a space in the filename. It's better not to do that.

That is not the type of comments I am looking for, anyway spaces in the name do not matter when you click on a link to access it.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #3542 on: June 17, 2024, 03:08:30 pm »
My bad, I'll ignore any further mistakes I observe. 🙄
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3543 on: June 17, 2024, 03:39:58 pm »
My bad, I'll ignore any further mistakes I observe. 🙄

My only complain was that you comment was about something completely outside the topic and not really relevant to anything (I have used spaces in URL's for more than 10 years and I have not had many complains about it, even though the pages has been viewed many times).

Offline MrPete

• Contributor
« Reply #3544 on: June 20, 2024, 06:26:14 pm »
I'm hoping to set up (NiMH) battery characterization via TC. I have many of the needed parts, but missing one key:
* NiMH charging can be tricky in the arena of Charge Termination. "They" recommend monitoring all three of: time, -deltaV, and temperature (eg rapid increase in a minute, AND overall temp)
* So, I need some kind of SCPI temperature sensor... or a low cost programmable bench power supply with temp sensor input.

So far, I've not found either one. (I could use a thermistor on my SCPI DMM, but then I couldn't use it to monitor the charge/discharge cycle ;) )

Anyone have ideas?

Pete

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3545 on: June 20, 2024, 06:58:52 pm »
I'm hoping to set up (NiMH) battery characterization via TC. I have many of the needed parts, but missing one key:
* NiMH charging can be tricky in the arena of Charge Termination. "They" recommend monitoring all three of: time, -deltaV, and temperature (eg rapid increase in a minute, AND overall temp)
* So, I need some kind of SCPI temperature sensor... or a low cost programmable bench power supply with temp sensor input.

So far, I've not found either one. (I could use a thermistor on my SCPI DMM, but then I couldn't use it to monitor the charge/discharge cycle ;) )

Anyone have ideas?

What about: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerArduino2%20UK.html#DS1820_temperature_device

Offline Curious

• Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters-ATorch DT24 Power meter
« Reply #3546 on: June 21, 2024, 04:42:09 am »
Hello,
I know that Test Controller can easily record output of the various ATorch DC electronic loads i.e. DL24XX, but how about apparently similar ATorch DC Power meters, especially the DT24 DC power meter (100 or 400Amps, depending on shunts)?  Somewhere on the forum, can't find it now, I remember a comment that ATorch has some standard communications protocol.  If so, I'm hoping TestController device files (is there a better term??) could be adapted to ATorch DC Power meters?

Additionally, is ATorch communication protocol documented (in English) somewhere?

Thanks!

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters-ATorch DT24 Power meter
« Reply #3547 on: June 21, 2024, 05:23:18 am »
I know that Test Controller can easily record output of the various ATorch DC electronic loads i.e. DL24XX, but how about apparently similar ATorch DC Power meters, especially the DT24 DC power meter (100 or 400Amps, depending on shunts)?  Somewhere on the forum, can't find it now, I remember a comment that ATorch has some standard communications protocol.  If so, I'm hoping TestController device files (is there a better term??) could be adapted to ATorch DC Power meters?

ATorch has at least 3 protocols that TC support, look in the file "ATrochDevices.txt" and "ATorchPX100Devices.txt" for the actual devices and what protocol is used.

Additionally, is ATorch communication protocol documented (in English) somewhere?

Some of them can be found on the inet, either as a description or as source code for a program. "ATorch" or "PX100" is good search term together with "Protocol", "program", "code" etc.

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3548 on: June 21, 2024, 11:50:41 am »
Hello

Just discovered your software and work , really impress by the performance

Regards
OS

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3549 on: June 21, 2024, 04:05:23 pm »

Anyone have ideas?

Riden RD60XX has an option for an external temp. sensor and has options for setting up an charging system.
Additional firmware from Unisoft is an great plus for thes units.
Unisoft's firmware is not available for al types of RD60XX types.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply/

What about: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerArduino2%20UK.html#DS1820_temperature_device
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 04:11:21 pm by Pukker »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf