Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 471531 times)

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #375 on: April 28, 2020, 06:13:01 pm »
Hello HKJ,

some time ago I asked you for an additional / cloned log button on the chart page...

You gave me the hint with the shortcuts. Unfortunately, this is not that effective as I have to press more buttons, instead of just using the mouse.

In order to encourage you to do so, I tried to implement my wish in a picture, as it is probably easier to get the idea behind it, when being able to see the result?  ;)

Pic One

In addition to this, I asked for a custom png format, which can be saved, in order to keep the resolution your pc requires, because it is much easier to handle and shorten periodic steps, to concentrate on the work itself.

Pic Two

I know, that you have lots of work to do, to manage all the additions, but maybe others find this also helpful?  ;)

Thank you very much!  :-+

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #376 on: April 28, 2020, 06:38:42 pm »
some time ago I asked you for an additional / cloned log button on the chart page...

You gave me the hint with the shortcuts. Unfortunately, this is not that effective as I have to press more buttons, instead of just using the mouse.

In order to encourage you to do so, I tried to implement my wish in a picture, as it is probably easier to get the idea behind it, when being able to see the result?  ;)

I do not really like this for a couple of reasons:
1) The Chart is only accessible if you have log data
2) Log is not just log, you also have to select sample rate and now you also have the direct to disk option.

In addition to this, I asked for a custom png format, which can be saved, in order to keep the resolution your pc requires, because it is much easier to handle and shorten periodic steps, to concentrate on the work itself.

I am more thinking about making the 4 fixed formats customable, it means you could have your four favorite resolutions ready all the time.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #377 on: April 28, 2020, 08:33:58 pm »
HKJ,

One question, did you try changing the baud rate on your M9712C to 115200 to see if you have the same issues I am having at this speed.

I reduced  the number of data points being collected and are used the below setting. No matter what #answerTimeout setting used every holding command has 4 Tx's before receiving a response. 

It is very strange, with the M9712C I am testing with I can set the #answerTimeout to 13 and I will get occasionally retransmits with a higher value there is no retransmits.
I have uploaded a new jar file (V0.51) where I have switched to another time in java (From currentTimeMillis() to nanoTime()), all settings and other code is exactly the same. I wonder if this will change anything.
Technically there is no guarantee that millis will increase every millisecond, but it is a long time since I have seen it being really slow (Originally it was something like a increased by 55 every 55 millisecond on Windows)

The only problem I see with the M9712C is that I have to unplug/replug the USB interface if I power of the load or I get 100% timeout.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2020, 09:16:07 am »
One question, did you try changing the baud rate on your M9712C to 115200 to see if you have the same issues I am having at this speed.

No, I have always been running at 9600 baud. Now I tried it and it did not work at all. Problem was I did not set the baudrate.

V0.52 is up
It fixes the baudrate problem and add a configuration for image sizes, now everybody can get there favorite sizes, not only me ;)

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, Marco1971

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #379 on: April 29, 2020, 10:35:39 am »
HKJ,

I just tried V0.52 and there is no change I still am getting timeouts at 115200 |O. I ran a test overnight at 9600 and had no timeouts

V0.52 is up
It fixes the baudrate problem and add a configuration for image sizes, now everybody can get there favorite sizes, not only me ;)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2020, 11:10:56 am »
I just tried V0.52 and there is no change I still am getting timeouts at 115200 |O. I ran a test overnight at 9600 and had no timeouts

I am out of ideas for now. I have tried other baudrates?

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2020, 11:16:40 am »
HKJ,

The only issue with this is when the timeout happens it records all the data for that time as zero. Maybe a workaround can be to ignore the data if a timeout happens and use ether the previous data or the next valid data without a timeout

Thanks
MikeLud

I am out of ideas for now. I have tried other baudrates?

The following users thanked this post: Cavhat

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #382 on: April 29, 2020, 11:46:33 am »
The only issue with this is when the timeout happens it records all the data for that time as zero. Maybe a workaround can be to ignore the data if a timeout happens and use ether the previous data or the next valid data without a timeout

I have implemented that for one channel devices (Like DMM's), but not for multi channel stuff. Maybe I will.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #383 on: April 29, 2020, 01:07:08 pm »
Have you checked the #answerTimeout setting with the new version?

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #384 on: April 29, 2020, 02:02:43 pm »
Have you checked the #answerTimeout setting with the new version?

HKJ,

Yes, I tried 150 and 200. Another thought I have is on the Load Devices tab on each line have a read me button that will open up a popup. In the popup for this device I can have "For this device to work you must go to the setup menu on the RD6006 and change the baudrate from 115200 to 9600.  Consult User Manual for directions." With this I will set the buadrate at 9600.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #385 on: April 29, 2020, 02:33:22 pm »
Yes, I tried 150 and 200.

Let me get this right: At 115200 it mostly works, but once in a while there is a timeout. If you use the #answerTimeout  it will not work at all, all calls timeout.

Another thought I have is on the Load Devices tab on each line have a read me button that will open up a popup. In the popup for this device I can have "For this device to work you must go to the setup menu on the RD6006 and change the baudrate from 115200 to 9600.  Consult User Manual for directions." With this I will set the buadrate at 9600.

I have been thinking in the same direction. There are a couple of cases where it would be useful.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #386 on: April 29, 2020, 02:45:57 pm »
Let me get this right: At 115200 it mostly works, but once in a while there is a timeout. If you use the #answerTimeout  it will not work at all, all calls timeout.

HKJ,

The above statement is correct and on 9600 it works perfect with no timeouts

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #387 on: April 29, 2020, 03:42:08 pm »
At the risk of asking an obtuse question, can this application also read from devices over GPIB?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #388 on: April 29, 2020, 05:15:35 pm »
At the risk of asking an obtuse question, can this application also read from devices over GPIB?

Only if it is presented as a serial port or a network socket.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #389 on: April 29, 2020, 06:24:21 pm »
Only if it is presented as a serial port or a network socket.
I just checked and it seems to be just presented as a GPIB Interface. I guess I'll have to look into obtaining a handful of RS232 to USB converters. This application looks too good to pass up on.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2020, 11:29:12 pm »
I had the same question, I have an Agilent GPIB to network bridge and wondered what it would take to make the GPIB devices appear as serial ports.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #391 on: April 30, 2020, 04:43:29 am »
I had the same question, I have an Agilent GPIB to network bridge and wondered what it would take to make the GPIB devices appear as serial ports.

The way to try a connection is:
1) Write a device definition file in the device directory, with this contents:

#idString xxx,xxx,
#name xxx
#handle xxx
#port 5025

The port must match the connected device!
2) Restart test controller and select device, enter IP address in the red field:

3) Press "Reconnect" and look on the first screen. It hopefully shows something like:

;; 10.0.0.79 Device do not match: KEITHLEY INSTRUMENTS,MODEL DMM6500,04395798,1.0.02a

4) Modify the new device file with the above name:

#idString KEITHLEY INSTRUMENTS,MODEL DMM6500,
#name Keithley DMM6500
#handle DMM6500
#port 5025

5) Restart TestController, remove the xxx device and select the above device on the "Load devices" page and enter the IP address again. Then press "Reconnect"

6) It hopefully gives you this message on the first screen (With the device name you are working with):

;; Found Keithley DMM6500 on 10.0.0.79 sn: 4395798

You are online with the device and can write SCPI commands on the TestController command line and start making a fully featured definition file.
See other files in the devices directory for examples, the manual is here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:46:05 am by HKJ »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr, Marco1971

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #392 on: April 30, 2020, 11:41:05 am »
Would you have time to continue working on the definition for the Siglent SDG ?

I still found that with V pp you can only choose whole numbers.
2.5 V e.g. are not accepted with a comma or a dot and as a replacement e.g. 2500 mV inputs are also not accepted.
V rms would still be good.
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #393 on: April 30, 2020, 11:50:17 am »
The latest is wrong from me.

V intermediate values are nevertheless carried out.
However, it is not displayed in the mode window (the value is displayed there, e.g. when 2.5V input is reset to 0)
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #394 on: April 30, 2020, 12:18:59 pm »
The latest is wrong from me.

V intermediate values are nevertheless carried out.
However, it is not displayed in the mode window (the value is displayed there, e.g. when 2.5V input is reset to 0)

I was not aware it was wrong, I will look at it.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2020, 12:28:39 pm »
V0.53 is up

It has a new #notes tag that can be used to add a note to a device definition.

After my explanation on how to start a new device definition, I decided it was way to cumbersome and have made a function to help:

On the "Load devices" right click in the filter box or combobox and select the option:

This popup will show:

In most cases it is enough to fill in a address and then press the 3 buttons in sequence.
It may be necessary to adjust the device name and handle before pressing the second button.
Right click to copy the device filename to the clipboard.

When pressing the "Load new device" all currently loaded devices are unloaded and the new device is loaded as the only device. It will also close this popup.

This do not make a device work in TestController, it only makes the connection to the device.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 12:35:25 pm by HKJ »

The following users thanked this post: masterx81, Marco1971, MikeLud

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2020, 12:30:18 pm »
He have done a fine job with the Siglent, but I have only included the 3065x with the full setup. I hope he will say ok for the 3055 soon.
And I wonder if it is possible to duplicate to support modes both with and without x (It only needs are few lines at the top of the file to enable both versions).

Attached is a device file that supports Siglent SDM3000 series DMM in one file. The only model tested is the SDM3065X so if anyone has the SDM3045X or SDM3055 please test and let me know the issues you are having so I can correct them. One setting item I am not sure about is the Speed setting for the AC Current and AC Voltage on the SDM3045X , this was not fully documented. For each mode there is a corresponding setup tab giving you remote control of the soft buttons on the bottom of the screen.

* SiglentSDM30xxx.txt (16.97 kB - downloaded 43 times.)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 12:34:13 pm by MikeLud »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2020, 12:44:54 pm »
Thanks, I will include it in the next update.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #398 on: April 30, 2020, 12:55:32 pm »
V0.53 got a extra update with a fixed SDG2122X

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #399 on: April 30, 2020, 01:08:33 pm »
...The only model tested is the SDM3065X so if anyone has the SDM3045X or SDM3055 please test and let me know the issues you are having so I can correct them...

Afterwards I can at least test it with the 3055 and report it to you.

V0.53 got a extra update with a fixed SDG2122X

So fast?
Will look after.
For the SDG1000X, only the frequency limits actually have to be changed ?!? (at least that's how I had done it successfully with the old version).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf