Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 486554 times)

charly_01 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #475 on: May 04, 2020, 12:26:11 pm »
V0.57 is up

Bug from MikeLud is fixed.

The program has a export option now, this will export in the usual csv formats, but included columns, column format, included rows and column names can be adjusted.
If columns format is modified the file can probably not be loaded into TestController again.

The export function is at an early stage, i.e. there will probably be some errors.

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #476 on: May 04, 2020, 01:09:26 pm »
V0.57 is up

Bug from MikeLud is fixed.

HKJ,

Tested, all good.

Thanks
MikeLud

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #477 on: May 04, 2020, 06:10:48 pm »
     Thank you very much HKJ.  Too late today, but I will do as you say tomorrow afternoon.
One more thing though;  I know you have made many revisions, and the amount of work you and others have done is very much appreciated, but is the download version at your site the latest
edition, (0.52?)?
     Thanks HKJ, I did what you said and I got my Fluke 189 connected on com 3.  Now the only problem is to get the program tp open reliably;  I often have to make several attempts at opening/running 'Windows Batch File' before it will open.  Many times it tries to open, but just flashes on the screen momentarily.
     I will put your program in my tool kit and will try it from time to time to see what improvements you have made.  Again, thank you and the others here that have worked to get this program to where it is.  I am sure others, as well as myself, appreciate it.  CIAO! :-+

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #478 on: May 04, 2020, 06:14:04 pm »
OOPS, my new message went in with the Quote.  I'm just learning the ropes here :-//

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #479 on: May 04, 2020, 06:20:10 pm »
Now the only problem is to get the program tp open reliably;  I often have to make several attempts at opening/running 'Windows Batch File' before it will open.  Many times it tries to open, but just flashes on the screen momentarily.

The best way to get more information is to use the debug batch file, but you may have to edit it and add a line with "pause" at the end.

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #480 on: May 04, 2020, 08:11:08 pm »
Short question:
If a V rms value has been entered for the SDG, V pp is still displayed in current values, chart etc.
Is it possible that the V rms value would be displayed in current values, chart, log etc. (either instead of V pp or both) ?
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #481 on: May 04, 2020, 08:37:59 pm »
HKJ,

Is there a way to set a variable and have a control make changes to that variable. I was able to get it to work by writing to a free modbus address and reading back to set the variable see code below. I rather not do this, if there is another way please let me know.

Thanks Mike

Code: [Select]
#scpiCmd MN? holding? 0x80
:setvar: MNS=value
#scpiCmd MN holding 0x80 (value)
#scpiCmd MV? holding? (MNS) /100
#scpiCmd MV holding (MNS) (value) *100
#scpiCmd MI? holding? (MNS+1) /1000
#scpiCmd MI holding (MNS+1) (value) *1000
#scpiCmd OVP? holding? (MNS+2) /100
#scpiCmd OVP holding (MNS+2) (value) *100
#scpiCmd OCP? holding? (MNS+3) /1000
#scpiCmd OCP holding (MNS+3) (value) *1000

#cmdSetup comboboxhot Memory Memory
:read: MN?
:write: MN
:update: V-Set I-Set OVP OCP
:updatedelayed: 0.3
M0 80
M1 84
M2 88
M3 92
M4 96
M5 100
M6 104
M7 108
M8 112
M9 116

#cmdSetup number V-Set Memory
:read: MV?
:write: MV
V 0 60

#cmdSetup number I-Set Memory
:read: MI?
:write: MI
V 0 6

#cmdSetup number OVP Memory
:read: OVP?
:write: OVP
V 0 62

#cmdSetup number OCP Memory
:read: OCP?
:write: OCP
V 0 6.2
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:24:39 pm by MikeLud »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #482 on: May 04, 2020, 08:45:28 pm »
Is there a way to set a variable and have a control make changes to that variable. I was able to get it to work by wiring to a free modbus address and reading back to set the variable see code below. I rather not do this, if there is another way please let me know.

Some, check Maynuo and :setvar: tag. For now it only works in #scpiCmd

Offline VNUTDENYER

• Contributor
  • Semi retired ET tryin not to get vnuty.
« Reply #483 on: May 05, 2020, 02:01:22 pm »
 Does anyone know if this SW can support HP3478A, E1410A, OR E1412A?  Search on 3478A finds similar query post 272.  Maybe it is close enough to an existing definition for an edit  (which I will do, test, upload)?  Read whole thread,very impressive work.  Was planning on buying usb/gpib adapter using prologix commands until i found this. 
HP 3478A, HP 75000-C w/ HP1406A + HP E1410A x2, EDC 501J x6, Guildline 9152/4 Std Cell x2, KEITHLEY 150A Microvolt meter, L&N 4735 W.B., D. Malone 3.0000v ref, DP311 DEKAPOT, CA1569 DEKAPOT, 5KV electrophoresis PS, C.S. 3711A E load, Enviro chamber (truck camper)!?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #484 on: May 05, 2020, 02:21:25 pm »
Does anyone know if this SW can support HP3478A, E1410A, OR E1412A?  Search on 3478A finds similar query post 272.  Maybe it is close enough to an existing definition for an edit  (which I will do, test, upload)?  Read whole thread,very impressive work.  Was planning on buying usb/gpib adapter using prologix commands until i found this.

You need a serial or socket connection (this can be with a adapter). Then you can use the build in new device guide to setup a connection.
The actual definition is probably close to the Keysight bench meters and you can check the SCPI commands from the command line.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #485 on: May 05, 2020, 02:31:56 pm »
I looked in the manual for the HP3478A and it is not SCPI, this means it will not work with the SCPI driver. It may be possible to use the "Single value" driver to read one mode from the meter (Like DCV), anything more will require programming by me.

Offline VNUTDENYER

• Contributor
  • Semi retired ET tryin not to get vnuty.
« Reply #486 on: May 05, 2020, 03:28:20 pm »
Thanks, HKJ, I somehow missed SCPI requirement while also reading other threads where SCPI commands used to control GPIB bus into 3478.  So maybe using HW from those threads and your SW would be MMIH (don't you just hate when someone pops in something like this w/o defining it)?  MMIH=match made in heaven.
HP 3478A, HP 75000-C w/ HP1406A + HP E1410A x2, EDC 501J x6, Guildline 9152/4 Std Cell x2, KEITHLEY 150A Microvolt meter, L&N 4735 W.B., D. Malone 3.0000v ref, DP311 DEKAPOT, CA1569 DEKAPOT, 5KV electrophoresis PS, C.S. 3711A E load, Enviro chamber (truck camper)!?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #487 on: May 05, 2020, 04:02:17 pm »
Thanks, HKJ, I somehow missed SCPI requirement while also reading other threads where SCPI commands used to control GPIB bus into 3478.  So maybe using HW from those threads and your SW would be MMIH (don't you just hate when someone pops in something like this w/o defining it)?  MMIH=match made in heaven.

The software has 3 drivers that can be changed by users, they are SCPI, Modbus and SingleValue (The last for devices that returns a single value, it can work with or without polling the device). It also has a couple of other drivers, but they are mostly made to fit a specific device.
And it has a couple of connections: socket and serial as the mains one, it can also do LXI and HID, but both needs more work.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #488 on: May 06, 2020, 08:23:06 am »
V0.60 is up.

It is a couple of minor updates/changes:
  • Export as average is fixed.
  • Export can split dateTime & digital values into multiple columns
  • It is possible to change the sequence of columns in export.
  • Export window closes after export.
  • Reconnect will change to "Commands" page.
  • F1 key will now open my website on the intro to TestController, over time (i.e. when it is written) it will be changed to the relevant manual pages.
  • The tool tip for the data selection range fields (First/Last sample to display) has been improved
  • Some updates/fixes in the setup menus logic (Some people make fairly advanced setup menus).

The following users thanked this post: masterx81, tubularnut, Marco1971, MikeLud

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #489 on: May 06, 2020, 10:00:02 am »
And here we go again  :palm:
Since I have a few two-wire Pt 1000 temperature sensors, I would like to include this type in the popup menu for the 34465A.
There is the SCPI command RTD for this type of sensor which works and the button is there :-+.
But in the manual I cannot find a SCPI command to specify R0 (1000 Ohm in my case, 100 being the default) nor is there an SCPI command for Low Power. Have these commands been forgotten perhaps, or have they simply not been included in the manual?
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #490 on: May 06, 2020, 10:52:41 am »
And here we go again  :palm:
Since I have a few two-wire Pt 1000 temperature sensors, I would like to include this type in the popup menu for the 34465A.
There is the SCPI command RTD for this type of sensor which works and the button is there :-+.
But in the manual I cannot find a SCPI command to specify R0 (1000 Ohm in my case, 100 being the default) nor is there an SCPI command for Low Power. Have these commands been forgotten perhaps, or have they simply not been included in the manual?

Could it be:
[SENSe:]TEMPerature:TRANsducer:{FRTD|RTD}:RESistance[:REFerence]{<reference>|MIN|MAX|DEF}
[SENSe:]TEMPerature:TRANsducer:{FRTD|RTD}:RESistance[:REFerence]?[{MIN|MAX|DEF}]

There is a group of commands for configuring each mode.

You probably have to use a "Abort" before the command and then restart the trigger again after.

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #491 on: May 07, 2020, 10:24:46 am »
Hi HKJ,

I've been using your excellent program on my Keysight 34465A with no problems with a MacBook Pro (macOS 10.15.4) and Java 8.

[Edit: Updated TestController from 0.57 to 0.60 and issue persists]

However, I've just received a Brymen 869s with the USB interface, and the program now crashes as soon as I add the Brymen and try to connect. I then have to edit the settingsLoad.txt file and disable the Brymen before I can get the program to run without crashing.

I started the program from the command line with the debug option (below), and full dump log attached.

java -jar TestController.jar debug %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
Starting
;; Start thread for: cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
;; Start thread for: tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
;; Stopping thread for: tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
;; Start thread for: HIDv0820p0001 - Brymen BM869s
;; HIDv0820p0001: Found usb device: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XHC1@14/XHC1@14000000/HS02@14200000/Superior DMM@14200000/IOUSBHostInterface@0/AppleUserUSBHostHIDDevice
;; Stopping thread for: HIDv0820p0001 - Brymen BM869s
;; cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port: Set params: 9600
;; cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port: Rx: timeout
;; cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port: Rx: timeout
;; Stopping thread for: cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fff2fcc399f, pid=13128, tid=0x000000000000ed0b
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_121-b13) (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.121-b13 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [CoreFoundation+0x4799f]  CFSetGetValue+0x21
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /Applications/TestController/hs_err_pid13128.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
zsh: abort      java -jar TestController.jar debug %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:52:49 am by tubularnut »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #492 on: May 07, 2020, 11:54:31 am »
However, I've just received a Brymen 869s with the USB interface, and the program now crashes as soon as I add the Brymen and try to connect. I then have to edit the settingsLoad.txt file and disable the Brymen before I can get the program to run without crashing.

I can not guarantee it will every work, but I have not given up yet.

My HID implementation is not very good, I use file access to read the HID devices and it obvious do not work on your computer. I do also use a HID library, but I can only use it to find the file path, it will not read any data on windows (It may work on mac/linux, I need to test that).

I plan on looking at the HID driver, but it may be some time before I get around to do it. I have planned some improvement to the setup definitions first and I also want to do some more manual writing.

None of the settings files are needed to start the program, it will create a new one if it is missing. I.e. deleting the file or directory is also possible. You will, of course, reset the program to initial state doing that.

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #493 on: May 07, 2020, 12:18:12 pm »
Ok, thank you anyway.

I have also tried it on a Windows 10 virtual machine running on the MacBook and it works OK with the Brymen software included with the interface module. I haven't yet tried TestController, as I need to install Java first.

If ever you need help to troubleshoot the HID setup on Mac, then please feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:22:53 pm by tubularnut »

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #494 on: May 07, 2020, 12:48:49 pm »
I now have TestController running in Windows 10 as a VM on the MacBook Pro, and all is working  ;D

As this is using the same USB hardware port, it would seem that the program only crashes when running natively on the Mac.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #495 on: May 07, 2020, 01:01:37 pm »
V0.61 is up.

This version add a few functions related to NTC's, basically any ohmmeter can show temperature with any NTC.

The functions are (The ones ending in T takes a temperature argument and returns a resistance);
ntc(coef,r), ntcB(r0,t0,beta,r), ntcSH(a,b,c,r), ntcT(coef,t), ntcBT(r0,t0,beta,t), ntcSHT(a,b,c,t)

The coef is a structure that can be filled with:
globalvar coef=ntcCoef(r1,t1,r2,t2,r3,t3);
globalvar coef=ntcCoef(r1,t1,r2,t2);
globalvar coef=ntcCoef(a,b,c);
globalvar coef=ntcCoef(r0,beta);  This initialization assumes that r0 is for 25 degree

The way to use it is to stick a line in .../documents/TestController/Settings/autorun.txt
With the desired initialization:
=globalvar ntc1=ntcCoef(22k,5,10k,25,4k,45)

Then the short form with "coef" parameter can be used on the math page or in the calculator (coef has to be replaces with the actual name, in the above ntc1).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:09:10 pm by HKJ »

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #496 on: May 08, 2020, 01:02:08 am »
Since the Keysight 344xxA meters are close to the Siglent meters and have similar SCPI commands I converted the advanced Siglent device file to a device file that supports Keysight 34461A, 34465A, and 34470A. I do not have any of the Keysight meters so I could not test if it works. I still need to complete the setup for the temperature. For now if anyone has one of the Keysight's meters please test the file and let me know if you find any issue and I will correct them in the next couple of days   

* Keysight344xxA.txt (15.14 kB - downloaded 65 times.)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #497 on: May 08, 2020, 07:24:10 am »
Since the Keysight 344xxA meters are close to the Siglent meters and have similar SCPI commands I converted the advanced Siglent device file to a device file that supports Keysight 34461A, 34465A, and 34470A. I do not have any of the Keysight meters so I could not test if it works. I still need to complete the setup for the temperature. For now if anyone has one of the Keysight's meters please test the file and let me know if you find any issue and I will correct them in the next couple of days   

The setup menus looks nice, but nothing works. The problem probably is that the meter will not accept much while running in a trigger mode.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #498 on: May 08, 2020, 10:38:22 am »

The setup menus looks nice, but nothing works. The problem probably is that the meter will not accept much while running in a trigger mode.

Try this, I adjusted the #askValues and #prepareSample to match what the Siglent has.

* Keysight344xxA.txt (15.13 kB - downloaded 63 times.)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #499 on: May 08, 2020, 11:23:41 am »

Try this, I adjusted the #askValues and #prepareSample to match what the Siglent has.

It did not fix it, I press the setup button just after starting TestController, i.e. before look at Current values or logging. The Setup menu do not open, but the meter beeps and shows a couple of errors (The menu will open after many timeouts).
The mode you uses do not look good on the meter, each time you start the trigger it replaces all digits with dots, until it has a value. I.e. the display is flashing all the time.

This time I did what I should have done the first time around: Made a logfile.
I did one for each of you two configurations

http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/log1.dat

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf