Author Topic: Oscilloscope Music on DSOs- Post your Results  (Read 3969 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope Music on DSOs- Post your Results
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2024, 04:36:30 am »
I gave it a try.  Wasn't able to locate the audio for the one Fungus used but tried the 44.1k Test Pattern that was included with that link provided.   I dare say none of my scopes would come close to even what the Rigol shows.   Worse than I remembered.

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2024, 11:01:12 am »
I think all your scopes are pure DSOs ?
Then it doesn't look "nice", indeed.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2024, 02:17:39 pm »
I think all your scopes are pure DSOs ?
Then it doesn't look "nice", indeed.

I have no idea how you would define pure but trying it with the 18 YO LeCroy 64Xi with original Celeron M 1.3GHz processor,  results are dismal.  System optimized for display.    I've thought about trying a Pentium M 780.  Member here had used a 1.8GHz an claimed a good performance.   I had seen someone post about using a 2.26GHz in one.  No idea if it would improve the display or not.   Scopes are so old now, it would be used parts.  You would have no idea how they were handled, reliability and such.     

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2024, 04:36:09 pm »
Hi,

I thought of the DPO (Digital Phosphor Oscilloscope) technology, something the older Lecroy scopes don't have.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/digital-phosphor-oscilloscope-dpo-explained/msg44497/#msg44497

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2024, 04:54:54 pm »
From the digital side of things, I suspect we all see it as analog which is why I asked.  The scope offers what they named WaveStream.

WaveStream Mode - This fast viewing mode provides brightness-
graded intensity with a decay time similar to the action of phosphor
on an analog screen. WaveStream mode operates at up to 10 GS/s
with an update rate up to 8000 waveforms/second for better
capture of higher frequency abnormal events.

I had tried this with the X-Y mode but it made matters worse.   My other scopes don't offer this feature. 

Recently Ncticro made the following comment:
These are to be considered data acquisition & signal analyses systems in 1 box for which accuracy and repeatability of measurements matters most. Sure you can use them as an oscilloscope up to some point but there are limits due to the relatively simple
architecture (completely seperated acquisition & processing logic) Lecroy used.

Followed with:
The most common oscilloscopes have a tight coupling between the acquisition and generating the visible traces (rendering). This allows for dealing with deep memory in a faster way, doing hardware decoding and rendering acquisitions into traces much faster. The way Keysight has constructed their Megazoom Asic based scopes is the complete opposite of how Lecroy oscilloscopes are setup.

I agree that my 18 YO scope is indeed much slower than pretty much every product shown in this thread.   Still, very useful in my case or I would have replaced it long ago.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf