Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 471689 times)

HKJ and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2020, 01:18:16 pm »
Now at 017 and all is well. :-+
Been logging my 34465A at 1s intervals for about 6 hours now. 8)

Pity that you could not include any of the Voltcraft meters with USB HID adapter in your list of meters. Must see if i can get a serial PCIe card going with Windows 10 and use the serial adapter.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:34:33 pm by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2020, 01:40:34 pm »
Pity that you could not include any of the Voltcraft meters with USB HID adapter in your list of meters. Must see if i can get a serial PCIe card going with Windows 10 and use the serial adapter.

Why not a USB serial port?

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2020, 02:21:58 pm »
Why not a USB serial port?

Brain fart on my side  |O Will have to use an USB serial port anyway
since all 3 PCI and 1 PCIe slot are already occupied
+ planning to use a laptop for logging too :palm:

Toddles off to hunt down an USB serial port adapter
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2020, 11:09:19 am »
New update V0.23, this includes some updates based on user input. It also includes a debug function to easier see the device communication.
Use:
#debug device      - this will list the items that can be debugged
#debug device item - this will set debug status for a device (It is possible to list multiple devices).
To see the initial connection use a device called *idn

I have written a document describing the format of the device configuration files: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html there is a link to it from the introduction document.

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, MikeLud

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2020, 02:50:03 pm »
I made a config file for the HP 34401A and Rigol DP811A if someone wants to try them out and iron out any (all) problems.

The following users thanked this post: jord4231

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2020, 02:59:28 pm »
I made a config file for the HP 34401A and Rigol DP811A if someone wants to try them out and iron out any (all) problems.

I have copied them into the release directory, this means they will be included with the next version.

I saw one bug, you had place the #author tag outside the actual definition (on 34401) where it will not work, I have moved it inside.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:01:46 pm by HKJ »

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2020, 01:18:46 am »
HKJ,

Attached is a config file for the Siglent SDM3065X
* SiglentSDM3065X.txt (2.66 kB - downloaded 213 times.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:24:45 am by MikeLud »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline jord4231

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2020, 03:40:50 am »
This program is what I have been looking for for years! Thank you so much for your hard work, I have a Rigol dm3054e and just want to be able to data log, I've been doing a bit of reading on your page and whilst I don't fully understand it I'm going to try and have ago to make a config file. Hopefully I'm successful and can contribute it back :)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2020, 04:25:58 am »
If anybody have ideas about how to log from USB/HID connected meters, please tell. I have played with a Brymen, but it did not work (I did never get any data). Maybe there is more than one error in their documentation.

I successfully wrote a test program that could log data from a BM869s which uses a USB/HID interface (no virtual COM port).

I discovered the difficulty was not with the Brymen documentation, but rather with learning how to interface to an HID device. It is nothing like as simple as interfacing to a COM port. I may be able to send you some example code if it would help. However you seem to be working in Java and I was experimenting in native Windows, so my example would only serve to illustrate the basic idea of enumerating the devices and reading data. The actual code would look quite different in Linux for example, and I don't know how it would look in Java.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2020, 04:41:22 am »
HKJ,

Attached is a config file for the Siglent SDM3065X
(Attachment Link)

Thanks, it will be included in the next software update.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2020, 04:42:04 am »
This program is what I have been looking for for years! Thank you so much for your hard work, I have a Rigol dm3054e and just want to be able to data log, I've been doing a bit of reading on your page and whilst I don't fully understand it I'm going to try and have ago to make a config file. Hopefully I'm successful and can contribute it back :)

You can always ask me for specific details.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2020, 04:50:54 am »
If anybody have ideas about how to log from USB/HID connected meters, please tell. I have played with a Brymen, but it did not work (I did never get any data). Maybe there is more than one error in their documentation.

I successfully wrote a test program that could log data from a BM869s which uses a USB/HID interface (no virtual COM port).

I discovered the difficulty was not with the Brymen documentation, but rather with learning how to interface to an HID device. It is nothing like as simple as interfacing to a COM port. I may be able to send you some example code if it would help. However you seem to be working in Java and I was experimenting in native Windows, so my example would only serve to illustrate the basic idea of enumerating the devices and reading data. The actual code would look quite different in Linux for example, and I don't know how it would look in Java.

I used something called HID4Java when I tried, it is supposed to handle all the low level stuff and it is also supposed to work on multiple platforms.
The Brymen documentation is wrong, they specify vendor id as 0x82, but the meter registers as 0x820.

I have also tried to enumerate devices directly i USB, but I cannot open a USB/HID device.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2020, 08:26:41 am »
I used something called HID4Java when I tried, it is supposed to handle all the low level stuff and it is also supposed to work on multiple platforms.
The Brymen documentation is wrong, they specify vendor id as 0x82, but the meter registers as 0x820.

I have also tried to enumerate devices directly i USB, but I cannot open a USB/HID device.

I discovered the 0x820 error, but that was no problem. I was testing on a computer with only a few things plugged in, so I quickly noticed the vendor ID was different when I looked at what was listed.

As I recall, trying to use HID protocols with the meter didn't seem to work. What did work was just to open the meter as a file and use read and write operations on it, similar to working with a COM port. I would write the get data command to the meter and read the response it sent back.

I do have example code running under Windows if you would like to see it. Just let me know and I can send it along.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2020, 09:22:15 am »
I do have example code running under Windows if you would like to see it. Just let me know and I can send it along.

It may give me some ideas, so yes please.

Offline jord4231

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2020, 10:35:47 am »
My drop down box is empty if I click the filter box then the drop down box I get Search socket only

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2020, 10:43:42 am »
My drop down box is empty if I click the filter box then the drop down box I get Search socket only

Then you are probably missing the devices subdirectory:

The TestController consist of two files and a devices subdirectory with all the device definitions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:47:34 am by HKJ »

Offline jord4231

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2020, 10:49:03 am »
Its definitely there very strange, It worked once and then dissapeared

Offline jord4231

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2020, 10:50:49 am »
Definitely have the devices folder and its full

Offline jord4231

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2020, 11:02:34 am »
Its definitely there very strange, It worked once and then dissapeared
I just discovered If I start a LOG 1 sec on the commands page the list becomes full. Strange maybe a little bug?

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2020, 11:33:01 am »
I just discovered If I start a LOG 1 sec on the commands page the list becomes full. Strange maybe a little bug?

It could sound like a bug.
The list is loaded in the background, this means it may first be loaded a second or two after the user interface is ready. I did that to get the user interface visible as fast as possible, I do not like when starting a program and nothing seams to happen.

You can try waiting a bit before changing to the load devices page and see if that helps.

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2020, 06:15:05 pm »
I'm having the same problem with the device list not loading on another computer. No difference in setup as far as I know. Both using the latest Windows 10 version and JRE. Even the install directory is the same (C:\Documents\TestController).

edit: no amount of waiting seems to help

edit2: seems that's not the only issue on this computer. The program is able to find the meter, but doesn't allow any control. Will have to investigate. Connecting directly via a terminal program works fine. It's just the TestController bugging out.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:26:17 pm by maukka »

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2020, 06:29:00 pm »
If the device list does not appear upon starting,
clicking on "Reconnect" makes it appear each time
(at least on my old puter) :palm:

Addendum: the connected Bluetooth USB Dongle has created
two COM ports in my case too. Will switch them off tomorrow
to see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:56:10 pm by Messtechniker »

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2020, 06:31:03 pm »
Found the culprit. It was two bluetooth-serial controllers in the device manager. Disabling those solved the issue for me.

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2020, 06:44:07 pm »
If the device list does not appear upon starting,
clicking on "Reconnect" makes it appear each time
(at least on my old puter) :palm:

I experience the same problem, however, only with 0.23 - 0.17 was fine.

"Reconnect" does not work - at least for me, but as mentioned above by jord4231 it helps to simply press log, choose a time and voilá the list is there.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2020, 07:26:20 pm »
I have modified the startup code slightly to avoid problems with the combobox not being filled (Update will probably be uploaded tomorrow).
I wonder what the bluetooth ports do, they may delay the serial part of the code a bit, i.e. it will take longer before the background threads reports ready. The screen shoot looks that way, it has found the meter, but not enabled the full user interface yet, this means it is still waiting for the background threads to be finished with all the ports.

If "Scan serial ports" is checked, it will start a thread for each serial port. This thread will do a *idn? and wait some time for an answer, before it quits. When it is not checked it will only start threads for ports where you have specified that there is a device.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf