Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 471599 times)

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #1100 on: August 26, 2020, 11:32:01 am »
Hello,
First at all i like to thank you for this great effort!

I connect the Kunkin KP184 direct to Serial (RS232) at COM1, 9600, Addr. 1 or the same combination with USB interface (via CH340 chipset) and nothing happens! Program does not recognize the device! Both setups are checked in 32bit and 64bit WIN10 system and i use the latest 1.19 Version. Do i miss or i make something false?
By the way the same connections works fine with other programs.
And another thing.
In your example photo i see the Max values in Amps is 30A and the Max power is 250W. The device as i know is capable for 40A and 400W. Is there any reason for that?

Thanks
Simon

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1101 on: August 26, 2020, 12:40:48 pm »
I connect the Kunkin KP184 direct to Serial (RS232) at COM1, 9600, Addr. 1 or the same combination with USB interface (via CH340 chipset) and nothing happens! Program does not recognize the device! Both setups are checked in 32bit and 64bit WIN10 system and i use the latest 1.19 Version. Do i miss or i make something false?
By the way the same connections works fine with other programs.
And another thing.
In your example photo i see the Max values in Amps is 30A and the Max power is 250W. The device as i know is capable for 40A and 400W. Is there any reason for that?

I cannot say much about the KP184, the definition is made by some other people.

Something you can try is to open the file: "Kunkin KP184.txt" in the devices directory and place a semicolon ; before the line  "#verifyDevice 1840 model?"

The maximum current and power can also be found in that file.

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1102 on: August 26, 2020, 01:18:54 pm »

Something you can try is to open the file: "Kunkin KP184.txt" in the devices directory and place a semicolon ; before the line  "#verifyDevice 1840 model?"

Thanks! Unfortunately that doesn't help. 

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1103 on: August 26, 2020, 01:25:48 pm »

Thanks! Unfortunately that doesn't help.

You did remember to fill in the baudrate on the "Load devices" page?
You may also want to play with the handshake lines, this can be done by using:
9600N81Dr  9600N81Rd  9600N81DR
as baudrate

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1104 on: August 26, 2020, 01:58:54 pm »
The Baudrate was already in 9600. I have try your above proposal and also i have done the same value at address with the device (1) or (-) just like it was before. Nothing!     ::)
By the way, what is the form of the number i have to enter for the address? I mean 1 or 001 or #1 or something else?
Is there anyone who have try with this device successful ?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1105 on: August 26, 2020, 02:06:00 pm »
By the way, what is the form of the number i have to enter for the address? I mean 1 or 001 or #1 or something else?
Is there anyone who have try with this device successful ?

It is the com port, on windows "com1" or some higher number (Press F2 and right click with the mouse to get a list).

Using a invalid address will not give an error, the software just assumes the device is not available at the current time and ignores the device.

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1106 on: August 26, 2020, 02:40:20 pm »
Yes the com port is com1 in  RS232 and com3 in the rs232 to USB interface.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1107 on: August 26, 2020, 02:47:41 pm »
The string has to be "com1" or "com3" not only  1 or 3

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: August 26, 2020, 03:01:38 pm »
The string has to be "com1" or "com3" not only  1 or 3

I m sorry i have not understand well, where is this window? if you mean generally in Device Manager of Windows at the ports section yes the RS232 port is COM1. Or you mean somewhere in your program ?

I think i found it. You mean in address column ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:11:27 pm by SimonD »

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1109 on: August 26, 2020, 03:29:35 pm »
I have try to test that to. Still doesn't work ...   :-X

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1110 on: August 26, 2020, 03:50:00 pm »
I have try to test that to. Still doesn't work ...   :-X

You can try starting it with the debug batch file, maybe it will show some useful error message.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: August 26, 2020, 05:42:52 pm »
SimonD,

Sorry you are having difficulty with the Kunkin KP184.  I have that device and helped write the file.  I just updated to TestController V1.19 and successfully connected to the Kunkin KP184 on a real serial port on COM1.  On the Command tab/main page it shows:
   ;; Found Kunkin KP184 on Serial0 (COM1)
when it connects.  Attached is a screen shot of my "Load devices" page showing how my Kunkin KP184 needs to be set up on my PC.  The serial cable is the one that came with the Kunkin KP184 in the box which I assume, but have not checked, is a standard straight through pinout 9 pin dsub to 9 pin dsub cable.

Also attached is a screen shot of "Current values" tab showing readings from the Kunkin showing voltage values and no current flowing.

Make sure that the serial setup in the KP184 are default.

As for the specifications, in my manual it also says 40A and 400 W.  So, those numbers are wrong in the file.  I guess they came from a cut and paste and I did not check them thoroughly from the source.  I fixed that issue and the updated device file is also attached.

HKJ, please include updated Kunkin KP184.txt device file in the next version.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1112 on: August 26, 2020, 05:54:59 pm »
HKJ, please include updated Kunkin KP184.txt device file in the next version.

It will be included.

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1113 on: August 26, 2020, 06:24:47 pm »
Thanks a lot for your help. It was the com1 case and (i don't know why) it was a case sensitive letter sensibility ....  :D
@gby, thanks for your help, just a little correction in power mode. Is *100 and /100, and max of Resistance is 9999.9R. I include the corrected .txt file.
One small observation. The Red like LED indicator of ON / OFF state works only once.
And a proposal. What about to add the Remote sense function as in KEL103 interface? I think is a must specially in high current values . (I'm talking to program experts!)
Thanks again
Simon

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1114 on: August 26, 2020, 06:34:08 pm »
And a proposal. What about to add the Remote sense function as in KEL103 interface? I think is a must specially in high current values . (I'm talking to program experts!)

I am confused:

I have updated the KP184 again.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:36:27 pm by HKJ »

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: August 26, 2020, 08:46:46 pm »
Exactly this function i mean but for the KP184!

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1116 on: August 26, 2020, 08:53:21 pm »
Exactly this function i mean but for the KP184!
Sorry, I misread your post and believed your where asking for it in the KEL103.

It is in register 0x10a according to the documentation I have.

Offline No.15

• Contributor
« Reply #1117 on: August 27, 2020, 06:37:41 pm »
I think I got the file for AMREL loads mostly done.  It seems to be working for me and I think most of the typos are out.

I appreciate everyone who helped.  I am able to use my DC load now the way I want and I am very happy

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1118 on: August 28, 2020, 08:02:18 am »
I think I got the file for AMREL loads mostly done.  It seems to be working for me and I think most of the typos are out.

Nice job, it is a lot of commands you have mapped.
I do miss a #author tag in the file.

It will be included in the next release.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: August 28, 2020, 08:25:04 pm »
HKJ,

There is a bug in the logarithmic frequency sweep script or with the expression evaluator.  There is an integer truncation in the expression:
   pow(endFrequency/startFrequency,1.0/steps)
Specifically, in the "endFrequency/startFrequency" division.

To narrow down the issue I took the auto generated logarithmic frequency sweep script, removed commands to the generator, and added print statements.  Here is the reduced test script I ran in TC Ver 1.19:
Code: [Select]
#logcmds 0
; Sweep the output of a waveform generator, both up and down will work
=var amplitude=2
=var startFrequency=2000
=var endFrequency=15000
=var stepTime=0.1
=var steps=40
; --------------------------------------------------------------
="Sweep from "+startFrequency+"Hz to "+endFrequency+"Hz in "+steps+" steps, estimated time: "+formatDouble((stepTime*steps)/60.0,1,6,0,1)+" minutes";

#delay (stepTime)
#log (stepTime)
=var n=1;
="Steps = "+steps+"; endFrequency ="+endFrequency+"; startFrequency = "+startFrequency+"; ratio = "+(pow(endFrequency/startFrequency,1.0/steps))
#while (n<=steps);
#delay (stepTime)
=freq=startFrequency*pow(pow(endFrequency/startFrequency,1.0/steps),n)
="n = "+n+"; freq = "+freq+" Hz"
=n=n+1;
#endwhile
#log 0

="Done"

(endFrequency/startFrequency)^(1/steps) = (15000/2000)^(1.0/40) = 1.05166 via calculator.
The script gives 1.0498504796816786 for this expression.
That ratio raised to the power number of steps = (1.0498504796816786)^40 = 7.00 and not 15000/2000 = 7.5 as expected.
endFrequency = 15000 but end of script only gets to 14000

So, it looks like endFrequency/startFrequency in this expression is being truncated to integer.  If you change the expression to:
   pow(1.0*endFrequency/startFrequency,1.0/steps)
the logarithmic frequency sweep then works because the added 1.0* forces the division result to be float and not truncated to integer.

Is there a better way to fix this or is there a bug in the expression evaluator that causes the endFrequency/startFrequency to be truncated to an integer instead of being float?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1120 on: August 29, 2020, 05:06:21 am »
Is there a better way to fix this or is there a bug in the expression evaluator that causes the endFrequency/startFrequency to be truncated to an integer instead of being float?

The general rule is that a integer divided by a integer is done with integer math. If you enter the frequencies as xxx.0 they will not be integers.
As you found out a multiply with a 1.0 changes to float, there is also a typecase function: double(number)
I have added the typecast to the script

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1121 on: August 30, 2020, 04:12:36 pm »
One small observation. The Red like LED indicator of ON / OFF state works only once.
Thanks again
Simon

I got some time to work on the Kunkin KP184 file some more.  I did the following:
1. Added the remote voltage sensing support in the standard load interface and in the device popup.
2. Fixed the state indication of on/off status in popup.
3. Fixed state indication of operating mode in popup.
3. Update the range of resistance mode up to 99998 Ohms which is the max the unit accepts over the serial port.

I discovered that on/off values for the output on/off and the remote/local sense functions of the KP184 sometimes returns 0/1 and sometimes returns 0xA0000000/0xA0000001.  Not sure of the significance of the 0xA0000000 high level bits, but I fixed the desired functions with a :readmath: (0x1&value) line that masks to only the lsb for both.  Also, the mode read back sometimes returns desired 0-3 and sometimes returns 0x10000002 instead of just 2.  So I added :readmath" (0x3&value) to mask to only the lower 3 bits for the mode.

I think we now have a completed "community made" Kunkin KP184 file attached.  HKJ, please include in the next release.

The following users thanked this post: SimonD

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1122 on: August 30, 2020, 05:30:24 pm »
HKJ, please include in the next release.

Ok, I will do that.

The following users thanked this post: SimonD

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: September 01, 2020, 02:18:11 pm »
HKJ,

By default TestController puts the logged data in columns in alphabetical order based on <deveice>.<signal> names for the logged data.  I am working on a test device file for Tektronix oscilloscopes and a test script using them.  When I use Tektronix MDO3000 scope and Siglent generator I get the oscilloscope data listed first in the log.  But, when I switch to a Tektronix TDS3000C scope I get the Siglent data listed first.

When I import the logged data for analysis it is tedious to have to correct the column data order depending on which oscilloscope instrument I am using.

Are there script commands that can be used to set the order of the logged data columns?

Also, since there is no interface type for oscilloscopes I have to search and replace oscilloscope device name in the script depending on which instrument is in use.  Would this be a good use for Remap handles function to have one name used in the script?  If so, does remap handles have any script commands to automate that?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1124 on: September 01, 2020, 02:37:46 pm »
By default TestController puts the logged data in columns in alphabetical order based on <deveice>.<signal> names for the logged data.  I am working on a test device file for Tektronix oscilloscopes and a test script using them.  When I use Tektronix MDO3000 scope and Siglent generator I get the oscilloscope data listed first in the log.  But, when I switch to a Tektronix TDS3000C scope I get the Siglent data listed first.

When I import the logged data for analysis it is tedious to have to correct the column data order depending on which oscilloscope instrument I am using.

Are there script commands that can be used to set the order of the logged data columns?

Not script commands, but you can export and then import the data to change the sequence.
The export menu allows you to change the column sequence (Use Ctrl-up/down arrow).
You can save a export format, making it fairly easy to reuse it.
I plan on adding script command to configure the export menu.

Also, since there is no interface type for oscilloscopes I have to search and replace oscilloscope device name in the script depending on which instrument is in use.  Would this be a good use for Remap handles function to have one name used in the script?  If so, does remap handles have any script commands to automate that?

What about using Osc?
Remap is outside script control, but you can remap on device serial number. The disadvantage with remap is that TestController may loose tracking of column format and units.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf