Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 482484 times)

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #1575 on: April 11, 2021, 02:24:18 pm »
HKJ,

Thanks for all the updates.  To give back to the community here are one new device file and a bunch of updated/more complete device files.

Aim TTi CPX series power supplies        New, has setup popup and script interface
Ametek XP series power supplies          Minor update on #value statement per HKJ input
Owon OPD series power supplies          Updated to log faster, tweaked setup popup, added script interface
Kollmorgen AKD1G servo                     Updated to log much faster, added script interface
Kollmorgen AKD2G servo                     Updated to log much faster, added script interface
Tektronix MDO,MSO,DPO,TDS Scopes   Minor bug fix update
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:13:10 pm by gby »

The following users thanked this post: nez

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1576 on: April 11, 2021, 02:35:28 pm »
HKJ,

I have a feature suggestion.  I often have a test setup that has power supplies and instrumentation.  For the power supplies the scripts just need to set voltages, current limits and turn them on/off.  For the real test log data is only needed from the instrumentation and not needed from the power supplies.  It is a minor nuisance to have a lot of extra data logged making the files much larger.  But, the real issue is that some of my supplies are very slow to log and limit the log interval to 1 sec while the desire is more like 0.1 sec interval which the instrumentation can easily do.

Could you add a way to turn logging off for a device via script?  Perhaps even add a check box on the Load Devices tab next to the Enable check box that would manually allow turning logging on/off for each device individually.  This way you could have a bench full of equipment all connected but only log from the devices that you need data from.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1577 on: April 12, 2021, 01:23:35 pm »
Aim TTi CPX series power supplies        New, has setup popup and script interface
Ametek XP series power supplies          Minor update on #value statement per HKJ input
Owon OPD series power supplies          Updated to log faster, tweaked setup popup, added script interface
Kollmorgen AKD1G servo                     Updated to log much faster, added script interface
Kollmorgen AKD2G servo                     Updated to log much faster, added script interface
Tektronix MDO,MSO,DPO,TDS Scopes   Minor bug fix update

I will include all the updates and the new definitions in the next release. I did already have two of the TTi supplies included with brand TTi, but have also included yours as Aim TTi.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1578 on: April 12, 2021, 01:25:42 pm »
I have a feature suggestion.  I often have a test setup that has power supplies and instrumentation.  For the power supplies the scripts just need to set voltages, current limits and turn them on/off.  For the real test log data is only needed from the instrumentation and not needed from the power supplies.  It is a minor nuisance to have a lot of extra data logged making the files much larger.  But, the real issue is that some of my supplies are very slow to log and limit the log interval to 1 sec while the desire is more like 0.1 sec interval which the instrumentation can easily do.

Could you add a way to turn logging off for a device via script?  Perhaps even add a check box on the Load Devices tab next to the Enable check box that would manually allow turning logging on/off for each device individually.  This way you could have a bench full of equipment all connected but only log from the devices that you need data from.

I can see the reason for your request, but it is not that easy to add.
I will look at it, but not promise anything.

Offline Wintel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1579 on: April 12, 2021, 01:44:30 pm »
V1.61 is up, the program has now been out for more than a year with lots of update.
It is mostly about new devices, with a few minor tweaks to the code:
   Added: Gossen MetraHit Energy DMM
   Changed: Large values (>=1e36) will be mapped to +/-infinite when reading from devices
   Fixed: Settings in GridPanel will update setupPopup
   Added: Support for direct GPIB control of some devices: CLR, LLO, LOC, TRG
   Added: RND 320 (KEL103) electronic load, thanks Calvin
   Fixed: Serial binary communication buffer will not overflow at fast data rates.
   Added: Multicomp Pro MP710258 & MP710259, thanks ian.ameline
   Added: Fluke 45, thanks Bad_driver

The Energy meter is the most complicated handheld meter to date.

In Power mode with Energy checked a lot of values are read from the meter:

It is a very good meter for checking standby power, the current range goes down to uA and the fuse will not blow as long as current is below 10A.

Hi HKJ,

Do you have the full changelog for TestController?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1580 on: April 12, 2021, 02:50:40 pm »

This thread is the best changelog. You can find a shorter text only version here: http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/DeviceHelp/Versions.dat, it is the same list that TestController uses when it says a new version is ready.

The changelog do not include the first couple of months and do include test versions (These changes are listen for the next released version).

Offline Wintel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1581 on: April 12, 2021, 10:40:10 pm »

This thread is the best changelog. You can find a shorter text only version here: http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/DeviceHelp/Versions.dat, it is the same list that TestController uses when it says a new version is ready.

The changelog do not include the first couple of months and do include test versions (These changes are listen for the next released version).

Thanks!

Offline adso85swe

• Contributor
« Reply #1582 on: April 13, 2021, 10:13:16 am »
When I try to launch the software, I get the error message: "Windows cannot find 'javaw'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again".
Am I missing some java software on my computer or whats the problem here?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1583 on: April 13, 2021, 10:42:36 am »
When I try to launch the software, I get the error message: "Windows cannot find 'javaw'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again".
Am I missing some java software on my computer or whats the problem here?

You need Java installed on your computer, you can find it here: https://java.com/en/
The advantage of making a program in Java is that it can run on multiple operating systems, TestController works on Windows, Linux and Mac and it exactly the same program that is used with all 3 systems (But it is different Java installations).

Offline adso85swe

• Contributor
« Reply #1584 on: April 13, 2021, 03:01:21 pm »
Thanks, I managed to open the software after installing Java  :-+

My next problem is to connect my UNI-T UT61D multimeter. I got it delivered with a RS232 serial cable and a direct USB cable, and I am using the latter one to connect to the computer. The problem is, when using the usb cable, the device does not show up as a COM-port but a normal usb device, so Im a bit confused as to what address to type in the address field. Can't find any suitable address info in the device manager on Windows. The multimeter does connect with the official UNI-T software, so I have confirmed that the connection works with a PC, but I don't have any address info about the connection interface.

Does anyone have any good feedback on how to tackle this?

Edit: I have ordered a RS232 to USB adapter and will try this as an alternative when it arrives together with the UNI-T RS232 cable. Hopefully this combination will show up as a COM port on the PC, just like Arduino boards usually do for example.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:11:39 pm by adso85swe »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1585 on: April 13, 2021, 06:44:08 pm »
Thanks, I managed to open the software after installing Java  :-+

My next problem is to connect my UNI-T UT61D multimeter. I got it delivered with a RS232 serial cable and a direct USB cable, and I am using the latter one to connect to the computer. The problem is, when using the usb cable, the device does not show up as a COM-port but a normal usb device, so Im a bit confused as to what address to type in the address field. Can't find any suitable address info in the device manager on Windows. The multimeter does connect with the official UNI-T software, so I have confirmed that the connection works with a PC, but I don't have any address info about the connection interface.

Does anyone have any good feedback on how to tackle this?

Edit: I have ordered a RS232 to USB adapter and will try this as an alternative when it arrives together with the UNI-T RS232 cable. Hopefully this combination will show up as a COM port on the PC, just like Arduino boards usually do for example.

TestController do not support HID (Except for Brymen on Windows), but the RS232 and USB to RS232 will work. I have coded UT61D interface from a datasheet, i.e. if you find any problems please post it and I will look at it.

Offline nez

• Contributor
« Reply #1586 on: April 14, 2021, 08:43:13 am »
Hi HKJ,

I have a few small requests for quality of life improvements that I'm hoping are feasible without too much effort on your part.

1.  It would be nice if we could resize the selection areas on the right side of the Chart and Histogram tabs (and even nicer if the app remembered the resize setting).  Currently they can be only scrolled left/right if the entries are too long (easy for that to happen), but that's a bit of a hassle and makes the check boxes scroll out of view as well so I'm not sure which are enabled/disabled without scrolling back.

2.  The popup window for 'Values from chart' could be slightly wider by default (or remember resize settings).  Currently it truncates some of the names and values of the cursor position because it lacks space to display them.

3.  If the number of Decimals in the 'Scales for chart' tab are low, the tick mark values are duplicated (truncated) as the same value for multiple vertical tick marks.  It gets more disorienting the larger the window is resized vertically. *See screenshots below.

Is it possible to enhance the Chart to not display the tick values that have more decimals than the settings limit?

It might also be nice if the Histograms tab also didn't show extra resolution for 'bin' values that can't used anyway due to the limit of decimal places allowed (and made the bar for each used bin wider to fit?).  But this is less important than the Chart duplicate values on the scales.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:55:12 am by nez »

Online Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1587 on: April 14, 2021, 11:37:33 am »
Yes, it's a pity with Uni-T. As mentioned some weeks ago I would be very happy to see my Uni-T UT181A working with TC
but it also suffers from this proprietary HID based interface  |O
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:33:16 pm by Bad_Driver »

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1588 on: April 14, 2021, 08:45:22 pm »
Yes, it's a pity with Uni-T. As mentioned some weeks ago I would be very happy to see my Uni-T UT181A working with TC
but it also suffers from this proprietary HID based interface  |O

For the one's who have an Uni-T USB-interface which is acting like an HID device,
you can have a look here:

https://www.element14.com/community/groups/test-and-measurement/blog/2020/04/08/uni-t-dmm-usb-adapter-compatibility-with-windows-10

There is an explanation to make the interface usable with an USB-TTL converter module (with FTDI chip, which has more compatible drivers)
You have to break open your interface.

I have the same device as used there, I will try this later.
I have ordered this converter for the job. Have the same one which is working fine with the PX100 load.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005001908476987.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.72944c4deyJb72

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:47:16 pm by Pukker »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1589 on: April 15, 2021, 11:13:31 am »
1.  It would be nice if we could resize the selection areas on the right side of the Chart and Histogram tabs (and even nicer if the app remembered the resize setting).  Currently they can be only scrolled left/right if the entries are too long (easy for that to happen), but that's a bit of a hassle and makes the check boxes scroll out of view as well so I'm not sure which are enabled/disabled without scrolling back.

I may look on this.

2.  The popup window for 'Values from chart' could be slightly wider by default (or remember resize settings).  Currently it truncates some of the names and values of the cursor position because it lacks space to display them.

And also on this.

3.  If the number of Decimals in the 'Scales for chart' tab are low, the tick mark values are duplicated (truncated) as the same value for multiple vertical tick marks.  It gets more disorienting the larger the window is resized vertically. *See screenshots below.

Is it possible to enhance the Chart to not display the tick values that have more decimals than the settings limit?

I cannot do anything for this because it is inside the library I uses and I do not what to modify that code.

Online Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1590 on: April 15, 2021, 01:50:02 pm »
Hi HKJ,

a very short (and maybe dumb) question. How can I change Time to DayTime in the diagram view?
Thanks in advance!

B.D.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1591 on: April 15, 2021, 01:54:56 pm »
a very short (and maybe dumb) question. How can I change Time to DayTime in the diagram view?
Thanks in advance!

Right click on the HH:MM:SS checkbox and select dateTime

Online Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1592 on: April 15, 2021, 02:23:26 pm »
Thanks! .... so simple...  |O

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1593 on: April 20, 2021, 11:28:26 am »
V1.62 is up
New devices and some wishes implemented.
   Added: TTi TF930 Frequency counter.
   Changed: Chart value popup will remember width changes until next program restart.
   Added: Adjustment of side panel size on Chart and Histogram (This is not saved, but reset on each program start).
   Added: Benetech GM1020, it is only tested with a Arduino substitute  for now. Thanks Jarkko
   Added: #DEVICELOGGINGDISABLE, #DEVICELOGGINGENABLE to suspend logging from some devices
   Added: Aim TTi CPX200DP, Aim TTi CPX400SP, Aim TTi CPX400DP (Two of them did exist with TTi as brand). Thanks gby
   Updated: Ametek XP, Owon OPD, Kolmorgen, Tektronix MDO,MSO,DPO,TDS. Thanks gby

gby: You can now disable collection from some devices, but it do not remove the columns, use the export function for that after finished logging.
nez: The width of the side panel on Chart and Histogram can now be adjusted, the chart value popup size will be kept until program restart.
I was asked about the GM1020 Lux meter and with some help from the asker I implemented it.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1594 on: April 20, 2021, 11:34:32 am »
is there any source about protocols?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1595 on: April 20, 2021, 11:41:50 am »
is there any source about protocols?

What do you mean?
All device definitions are in supplied ascii files and the documentation for the format in these files is part of the TestController documentation you can find here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1596 on: April 20, 2021, 02:16:54 pm »
What do you mean?

C source code, I need to recompile for non-x86 and non arm machine, also there are a couple of  MASTECH multimeters listed for which I cannot find any information about the protocol.

The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1597 on: April 20, 2021, 02:43:16 pm »
What do you mean?

C source code, I need to recompile for non-x86 and non arm machine, also there are a couple of  MASTECH multimeters listed for which I cannot find any information about the protocol.

The program is in Java and runs on many different CPU's, the program source is not available at the current time.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1598 on: April 20, 2021, 03:21:09 pm »
I don't have a JDK for my target, and Kaffe and similars simply don't work.
Anyway, don't worry, I will find a solution myself  :D

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1599 on: April 21, 2021, 11:57:33 pm »
HKJ,

Thanks for the #DEVICELOGGINGDISABLE, #DEVICELOGGINGENABLE script commands.  So far they seem to work as desired.  I will check them out more thoroughly soon.

I do have a question about a problem I am having getting an 8 byte return and parsing the last byte out.  Below is the device file code for the command:
Code: [Select]
#scpiCmd samplePVIT? txrxnBin? 7 \x5E\x00\x5C\x00\x5A\x00\x3A\x00\x38\x00\x8A\x00\x88\x00\x4c\x00
:readmath: binConv(int(value),0,3,0,1)/256.0+", "+binConv(int(value),3,2,1,1)*0.5587935448+", "+binConv(int(0xF0FFFFFFFFFFFF&value),5,2,1,1)*DIpeak/9668+", "+binConv(int(value),7,1,0,0)
This device is using #driver ascii.  Below is the output from the DOS debug window:
Code: [Select]
samplePVIT?
;; S200: Tx <samplePVIT?>
;; S200: Tx <txrxnBin? 7 \x5E\x00\x5C\x00\x5A\x00\x3A\x00\x38\x00\x8A\x00\x88\x00\x4c\x00>
;; COM1: TxBin: <^.\.Z.:.8.?.?.L.> 5E 00 5C 00 5A 00 3A 00 38 00 8A 00 88 00 4C 00
;; COM1: RxBin: 9A D1 05 00 01 00 18 36
;; S200: Rx <39633.01953125, 0.5587935448, 0.029788994621431527, 0>
;; 39633.01953125, 0.5587935448, 0.029788994621431527, 0
Note that the last byte received is 36 hex but the last number in the received value after the readmath is 0.  Nothing I do seems to get that last byte to be anything other than 0.  Using the same code in a script:
   = binConv("\x9A\xCF\xFA\x00\x00\x00\x48\x36",7,1,0,0)
properly gives decimal 54 back.

The first 7 received bytes all get handled properly.  It is just the eighth one that comes back as zero in the received command.  I had thought it would put the 8 bytes into a long integer which is 8 bytes long and would be able to handle it.

Thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or what might be going wrong inside TC?  Suggestions to try?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf