Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 471612 times)

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #1950 on: October 15, 2021, 06:55:33 am »
That seems better, after a few seconds the TC window populated.

I have another question / feature request.

I have found that the Siglent SDL10xxx load returns TWO different sets of modes, one for constant modes, and one for dynamic modes, each with a different SCPI query.
This is making it hard to make a nice Setup window as the last mode used by each stays set even if using the secondary mode, for example one returns VOLTAGE (constant mode) and the other returns CURRENT (dynamic mode) at the same time !

It seems Siglent don't have a SCPI command to know what the currently active mode is overall!

I tried using selectors which does a nice job when switching modes, but due to the parallel modes the SDL returns THREE different modes at the same time.

Specifically:
Normal mode functions you send :SOUR:FUNC? (which returns CURR,VOLT,RES,POW,LED)
but if you want the secondary functions you send :SOUR:FUNC:TRAN? (which also returns CURR,VOLT,RES,POW, but for the Dynamic modes)
and then to make it even worse there is a battery mode which is :SOUR:BATT:FUNC? (which returns 0,1).

So basically what I would want is a selector that is based upon the last mode button that was pressed to track the last chosen mode, so it doesn't rely on what is returned from a SCPI query.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:02:29 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1951 on: October 15, 2021, 07:10:39 am »
Another question..
I am using this (and similar) in the setup window to get the present settings to give an overview, is there a way I can control the number of decimal places it shows using this ? I would like to reduce it to 3 or 4 places for this display.

Code: [Select]
#cmdSetup info Voltage
:read: :SOUR:VOLT:LEV:IMM?
Volts
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:12:13 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1952 on: October 15, 2021, 07:26:59 am »
Another question..
I am using this (and similar) in the setup window to get the present settings to give an overview, is there a way I can control the number of decimal places it shows using this ? I would like to reduce it to 3 or 4 places for this display.

#cmdSetup info Voltage
:read: :SOUR:VOLT:LEV:IMM?
Volts

Doing something like this after the :read: line:
:readmath: formatDouble(value,1,9,1,3)
or
:readmath: formatSI(value,4)

Will probably do it.
Manual for functions: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerFunctions%20UK.html#formatDouble

It will take a bit longer before I have a answer for you previous question. Not being able to read the full mode is rather problematic, because TC will not know the initial condition of the device.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1953 on: October 15, 2021, 08:02:05 am »
So basically what I would want is a selector that is based upon the last mode button that was pressed to track the last chosen mode, so it doesn't rely on what is returned from a SCPI query.

There is a way to get around this, this requires using the SCPIx or Ascii driver, i.e. adding "#driver SCPIx" to you definition.
This enables a extra layer in the communication where you can have variables, making it possible to do something like this:

#scpiCmd myMode tx
:setvar: myMode=inputValue

#scpiCmd myMode? txrx? valid_SCPI_command?
:readmath: (myMode)

But to avoid a fault if myMode? is used before the variable is defined, you have to override on of your initial commands and add a :setvar: myMode="" to it.

I will add a "none" and "none?" mode to scpiCmd, this way it is not necessary to use dummy commands.

You will probably redefine all your mode commands to use the "#scpiCmd mode_command tx mode_command" and then place a ":setvar: line below each of them with the mode you want to save for local usage.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1954 on: October 15, 2021, 11:49:53 am »
A new test version is uploaded, link is the same as before.

The two commands from before can now be done this way:

#scpiCmd myMode none

#scpiCmd myMode? none?
:readmath: (myMode)

The :setvar: do not need its own command, but can be added to other #scpiCmd like this:

#scpiCmd :SOUR:FUNC tx :SOUR:FUNC
:setvar: myMode="Regular_"+inputValue

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1955 on: October 15, 2021, 02:22:54 pm »
I had a tinker with it but couldn't figure out how to make the SCPIx work to track the modes, I don't understand it well enough yet.

The code you suggested for adjusting the number of decimal places worked fine, that display is much tidier now.

I have attached the current version of the definition file for the Siglent SDL1030X in case anyone has a unit and want to try it out. (it SHOULD also work with the SDL1020X-E, SDL1020X, SDL1030X-E).

NOTE I still have more features to add to this, such as Battery, OCPT, OPPT testing modes, I will post an updated file once I have those completed, I still also need to get the improved switching of the setup window figured out so it tracks ALL modes, not just CC,CV,CR,CP,LED
Cheers Scott

The following users thanked this post: tautech, tubularnut, trp806mo

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1956 on: October 15, 2021, 03:06:31 pm »
I had a tinker with it but couldn't figure out how to make the SCPIx work to track the modes, I don't understand it well enough yet.

Add (This requires V1.86 to work):
#driver SCPIx

#scpiCmd :SOUR:FUNC tx :SOUR:FUNC

#scpiCmd :SOUR:FUNC:TRAN tx :SOUR:FUNC:TRAN
:setvar: myMode="tran"+inputValue

#scpiCmd myMode? none?
:readmath: myMode

#initCmd :SOUR:FUNC CURR

Then try the command "myMode?" from the command line when you select the different modes.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1957 on: October 15, 2021, 10:36:25 pm »
Im still not having much luck, the code worked OK to track a cmdMode button mode change, but was blocking the commands from getting to the instrument.

What I would really like is to be able to do this:
#cmdMode Constant_Current CURRENT
:SOUR:FUNC CURR;[*OPC]
:setvar: myMode="Current"

If it were possible to just tack on a variable handler to the cmdMode function it would solve the problem, as then the mode selection buttons would still work and it could track the last button pressed, if this could be added to all button controls (for cmdMode, cmdSetup) to ease tracking of control clicks it would be great as then people can use it for various tasks.
Cheers Scott

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1958 on: October 15, 2021, 11:22:16 pm »
I think I might have made some progress, now I seem to understand what #scpiCmd is actually doing.

I am now sending a flag as a SCPI command, which scpiCmd is detecting and then stripping out of the query.

#cmdMode Constant_Current CURRENT
:SOUR:FUNC CURR;[*OPC];ModeCC

I am then using this to catch it and set the variable:
#scpiCmd ModeCC none?
:setvar: myMode="CC"

The next issue is I need to get this myMode variable to display on the setup page to replace the existing text, but for whatever reason it doesn't show up ?

#cmdSetup info Present_Mode
:readmath: myMode
:updatemodechange:

UPDATE 1
I changed to the below code, it now displays on the page...yay!
#cmdSetup info Present_Mode
:read: myMode?

Now back to trying to figure out how to have a selector for the setup window... I might actually be able to do this LOL.

UPDATE 2 !

IT WORKS !

I am using this selector now and it is switching the setup box correctly:
#cmdSetup selector Mode_settings
:read: myMode?
CC CC.
CV CV.
CR CR.
CP CP.
LED LED.
Dyn_CC Dyn_CC.
Dyn_CV Dyn_CV.
Dyn_CR Dyn_CR.
Dyn_CP Dyn_CP.
;Batt Batt.
;OCPT OCPT.
;OPPT OPPT.

Now I just need to tidy up the code and add the remaining secondary modes Battery, OCPT, OPPT.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 11:36:17 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1959 on: October 16, 2021, 12:33:54 am »
Is there a way of creating a whitespace or a solid line in the Setup window?

I would like to add some spacing/seperation between some sections on the Setup window above the Load off/on buttons (see attached pic)

I was also wondering if there is a way to add text like "info" to the Mode window, I was thinking the currently selected mode would be best displayed in the mode window as a header to the buttons, or is there a way of highlighting a button for the current mode ?

I also noticed that the auto width isn't handling the text below the buttons, it is pushing the contents wider... but if I can move that text to the Mode window instead that doesn't matter.
Cheers Scott

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1960 on: October 16, 2021, 05:10:03 am »

I would like to add some spacing/seperation between some sections on the Setup window above the Load off/on buttons (see attached pic)

No, generally it is best to keep the window as compact as possible, user may need to have multiple windows open.

I was also wondering if there is a way to add text like "info" to the Mode window, I was thinking the currently selected mode would be best displayed in the mode window as a header to the buttons, or is there a way of highlighting a button for the current mode ?

No, mode window only support buttons and a checkmark

I also noticed that the auto width isn't handling the text below the buttons, it is pushing the contents wider... but if I can move that text to the Mode window instead that doesn't matter.

Add a :layout: tag to the info control.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1961 on: October 16, 2021, 11:31:51 am »

No, generally it is best to keep the window as compact as possible, user may need to have multiple windows open.

I decided to add a separator anyway:

#cmdSetup separator -
2 100 Solid

The first number if thickness of line, the second number is how many percent of form width is must fill.
The third value is one of: Solid, Dual, DashedShort, DashedLong, Raised, Sunken

The link to the .jar file is the same again.

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1962 on: October 16, 2021, 11:57:03 am »
Excellent, thank you, that will help me tidy up the appearance of the window.

I have pretty much finished the definition file, I’m just cleaning up and tweaking bits here and there now, adding the separator will be part of it.
Cheers Scott

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1963 on: October 16, 2021, 12:12:26 pm »
I have pretty much finished the definition file, I’m just cleaning up and tweaking bits here and there now, adding the separator will be part of it.

Looking at you post with the example, my cleaning up would include:

For items with 2 or 3 possibilities, use radio buttons, not combo boxes (They require only one click to change).
Split the configuration onto two pages, to make the window smaller.

You do, of course, not have to follow this, it is only what I would have done.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1964 on: October 16, 2021, 03:14:11 pm »
I just had another idea (sorry!)

For the cmdMode window, can you add something SIMILAR to the comboboxHot?

What I had in mind is a menu that appears like comboboxHot but has a different function, instead of handling a value with :read: :write: etc it sends the SCPI command, this could then replace a stack of buttons in the mode window making it a lot smaller, and would also have the advantage of showing you the active mode as well.

Something like this:
; Item formatting: Menu Item Display Text, SCPI Command
#cmdSetup scpicomboboxHot Mode
CC :SOUR:FUNC CURR;[*OPC]
CV :SOUR:FUNC VOLT;[*OPC]
CP :SOUR:FUNC POW;[*OPC]
CR :SOUR:FUNC RES;[*OPC]
Batt :SOUR:BATT:MODE 1;[*OPC]
Dyn_CC :SOUR:FUNC:TRAN CURR;[*OPC]

In fact thinking about it, you could make this a more generalised control and use it in both the cmdMode and cmdSetup window too as I can see potential uses there as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:29:14 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1965 on: October 16, 2021, 03:40:32 pm »
I just had another idea (sorry!)

I like getting ideas, but do not expect I will use all of them.

For the cmdMode window, can you add something SIMILAR to the comboboxHot?

What I had in mind is a menu that appears like comboboxHot but has a different function, instead of handling a value with :read: :write: etc it sends the SCPI command, this could then replace a stack of buttons in the mode window making it a lot smaller, and would also have the advantage of showing you the active mode as well.

Something like this:
; Item formatting: Menu Item Display Text, SCPI Command
#cmdSetup scpicomboboxHot Mode
CC :SOUR:FUNC CURR;[*OPC]
CV :SOUR:FUNC VOLT;[*OPC]
CP :SOUR:FUNC POW;[*OPC]
CR :SOUR:FUNC RES;[*OPC]
Batt :SOUR:BATT:MODE 1;[*OPC]
Dyn_CC :SOUR:FUNC:TRAN CURR;[*OPC]

I cannot see that, the cmdMode do support a bit more than buttons and when I get around to multichannel DMM's I expect even more control types.

In fact thinking about it, you could make this a more generalised control and use it in both the cmdMode and cmdSetup window too as I can see potential uses there as well.

You can do the above in #cmdSetup, the parameter to :write: can be reduced to #, this will directly send the what you have defined.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1966 on: October 16, 2021, 07:38:49 pm »
The difference with what I suggest is that it can send a completely different type of SCPI command for each menu item selection, which is different to the existing menu which sends different values to the same command.

Doing it this way would offer a different kind of control to its functionality, there is nothing wrong with the existing menu types, this one would just work in a different way.

For example the device I’ve been making the definition for uses 5 different kinds of SCPI commands for mode selections, any/all of which can be on at the same time, so the existing menu doesn’t allow for that situation from what I can tell, the example code I gave shows each menu selection with different SCPI mode definitions that this device uses, those were just some of them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:46:56 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1967 on: October 16, 2021, 07:50:03 pm »
The difference with what I suggest is that it can send a completely different type of SCPI command for each menu item selection, which is different to the existing menu when sends different values to the same command.

Doing it this way would off a different kind of control to its functionality, there is nothing wrong with the existing menu types, this one would just work in a different way.

With #cmdSetup the :write: tag can be used to send a different command for each selection, the normal use of only having the parameter for a selection is to allow the :read: command to match entries.
Anyway I got an idea from your ideas and I will look at it.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1968 on: October 16, 2021, 09:39:51 pm »
Attached is my (hopefully) finished Rev 1.0 Siglent SDL1030X definition, which should work with the SDL1020X-E, SDL1020X, SDL1030X-E, SDL1030X

File is named "Siglent SDL10xxXxx.txt" to reflect that it should work on the entire series.

Cheers Scott

The following users thanked this post: tautech, tubularnut

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1969 on: October 17, 2021, 06:16:09 am »
I am now working to try and make a definition for the East Tester ET4401 (and similar) LCR meters.

I have a control interface built, but I am having trouble trying to read values from it, examples of the SCPI query are shown below, it returns two sets of values at once with a single query.

I don't know how to split out the individual data segments from the response and allocate them to values, obviously this is made more complicated by the changing dual modes as well.

;; Found Zc ET4401 on STM32 Virtual COM Port (cu.usbmodem5D11) sn: V1.00.1942.009
fetc?
;; Cs,0pF,ESR,--OL--
fetc?
;; Cs,-8pF,ESR,-539.8M¦¸
fetc?
;; Ls,-5.369MH,ESR,--OL--
fetc?
;; Zs,--OL--,ESR,--OL--
fetc?
;; Rp,--OL--,X,--OL--
fetc?
;; Rs,--OL--,ESR,-943.3M¦¸
fetc?
;; Cp,0pF,X,58.64M¦¸
fetc?
;; Cp,-1pF,D,3.7414
fetc?
;; Cp,-1pF,Q,0.3193
fetc?
;; Cp,-1pF,¦È,163.35deg
fetc?
;; Cp,-1pF,ESR,-547.6M¦¸
fetc?
;; DCR,--OL--,-,------
fetc?
;; ECs,-97.22F,ESR,-0.0018¦¸
fetc?
;; DCR,0.000¦¸,-,------

These are the main primary 1st function modes of operation, and have series and parallel suffixes as seen in the example above:
Auto AUTO
Inductance L
Capacitance C
Elecrolytic_Capacitance ECAP
AC_Resistance R
DC_Resistance DCR
Impedance Z

These are the 2nd function modes:
ESR ESR
Dissipation D
Reactance X
Quality_Factor Q
Angle THR
Cheers Scott

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1970 on: October 17, 2021, 06:35:33 am »
I have a control interface built, but I am having trouble trying to read values from it, examples of the SCPI query are shown below, it returns two sets of values at once with a single query.

I don't know how to split out the individual data segments from the response and allocate them to values, obviously this is made more complicated by the changing dual modes as well.

You might get away with
#askValuesReadFormat xsxs

If you use the same command for mode it gets a bit more complicated:
#askModeMathFormat getElement(value,0)+getElement(value,2)

The auto mode is not supported at the current time. The problem is that TC will not change used values/columns automatic, I only do that for handheld DMM's.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1971 on: October 17, 2021, 06:36:08 am »
Attached is my (hopefully) finished Rev 1.0 Siglent SDL1030X definition, which should work with the SDL1020X-E, SDL1020X, SDL1030X-E, SDL1030X

File is named "Siglent SDL10xxXxx.txt" to reflect that it should work on the entire series.

Thanks, I will include it in next version.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1972 on: October 17, 2021, 10:54:56 am »
I am now working to try and make a definition for the East Tester ET4401 (and similar) LCR meters.

New version again, now this works:

#value Capacity_P F SI Cp
#value Capacity_S F SI Cs
#value Inductance H SI Ls,Lp
#value ESR ohm SI ESR
#value Impedance ohm SI X
#value Impedance ohm SI Zs

#askValues value?              <- Replace with your command
#askValuesReadFormat xsxs

#askMode value?              <- Replace with your command
#askModeMathFormat getElement(value,0)+";"+getElement(value,2)

#modeFromValue getElement(value,0)+";"+getElement(value,2)

#cmdMode Cs Cs cmd
#cmdMode Cp Cp cmd
#cmdMode Ls Ls cmd
#cmdMode Lp Cp cmd
#cmdMode Zs Zs cmd
#cmdMode Zp Zp cmd
#cmdMode ESR ESR cmd
#cmdMode ohm ohm cmd

cmd must be a command to the meter.

You can get the actual modes with:
=deviceMode(device_handle_in_quotes)

Note: TestController supports multiple modes at the same time it is what I use above, but it is nearly untested.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 11:16:13 am by HKJ »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1973 on: October 17, 2021, 11:27:20 am »
Another note:

You may want to add a:

#charset UTF-8

to your definition
This will probably fix the strange characters.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1974 on: October 17, 2021, 08:57:14 pm »
Thanks for the charset hint, I tried a few different ones and in this case the only one that seemed to at least show the chars was #charset ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 didn't like those odd chars and just showed ? for them.

Is there a way of passing through a raw string with the #askValuesReadFormat function? I'm currently using uuuu, I am trying to grab all 4 fields to see both of the modes as a row value (can it even do that?)

I am able to now at least see MOST of the returned values, but anything with a symbol is failing, IE values with Ω (or some mangled up version of it) are failing.

Can you add (or does it already have an undocumented) a regex filter to #askValuesReadFormat so it will only return [0-9], commas, and the decimal place (and maybe any SI units)?, so it can remove any other junk chars and fix the formatting.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:58:53 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf