Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 482345 times)

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #2000 on: October 19, 2021, 08:36:25 pm »
Good point.

I have just fixed the file, download the file from the last post again.

Thanks, this definition will also be included in the next release.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2001 on: October 20, 2021, 07:43:16 am »
V1.89 is up
With the new devices from TheDefpom and a lot of small improvements
   Added: East Tester LCR meters (Thanks TheDefpom)
   Added: Published doc on GridPanel/SinglePanel
   Added: Device readout (3 types) on GridPanel, will track range changes, useful for multimeters.
   Added: Dual device readout on GridPanel, will track range changes, useful for LCR meters.
   Added: Mode button got a right click menu that can send the same commands as the popup
   Fixed: #askValuesReadFormat s-format could not handle any letters after SI prefix.
   Added: #modeFromValue makes it possible to change mode from a #getValues command.
   Added: Siglent SDL loads (Thanks TheDefpom)
   Added: A separator control for Setup layouts.
   Added: SCPIx/Ascii got a #scpiCmd mode called none/none? that makes it possible to define commands that only do stuff in TC
   Changed: Faster timeout on downloads.
   Changed: Serial update from 2.6.2 to jSerialComm-2.7.0.jar

A new tracking readout in GridPanel, this was necessary for LCR meters. These are also useful for multimeters.

The Mode button now has a right click menu with the modes for the selected device. This can save screen estate and is fast to use when only one device need to be controlled.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Kean, TheDefpom, MikeLud, C.J.S.

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
Support for additional LCR meters?
« Reply #2002 on: October 20, 2021, 05:29:27 pm »
I am new to Test Controller, and have just figured out how I can use this program to log measurement data from my Brymen BM257s DMM and Siglent SDS1104X-E DSO.
Since in the last version support for East Tester LCR meters is added (thanks to TheDefpom), I expect it should be easy to add support for identical LCR meters with different brand name. I happen to know that these East Tester LCR meters are also sold under the Ruoshui brandname:
Ruoshui 4090A = East Tester ET4401
Ruoshui 4090B = East Tester ET4402
Ruoshui 4090C = East Tester ET4410

I own the Ruoshui 4090C. After connecting my RouShui to my PC and selecting the East Tester ET4410 under the Test Controller "Load devices" tab, I get following response after hitting the Reconnect button:

Code: [Select]
;; Start thread for: COM3 - East Tester ET4410
;; COM3: Set params: 115200
;; COM3: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; COM3: Rx: <ELEC,RuoShui 4090C  ,V1.01.2026.016,V1.12.2035.007,098465905      > 45 4C 45 43 2C 52 75 6F 53 68 75 69 20 34 30 39 30 43 20 20 2C 56 31 2E 30 31 2E 32 30 32 36 2E 30 31 36 2C 56 31 2E 31 32 2E 32 30 33 35 2E 30 30 37 2C 30 39 38 34 36 35 39 30 35 20 20 20 20 20 20
;; STM32 Virtual COM Port (COM3) Device ZC,ET4410 do not match: ELEC,RuoShui 4090C  ,V1.01.2026.016,V1.12.2035.007,098465905
;; COM3: Close
;; Stopping thread for: COM3 - East Tester ET4410
;; COM3: Close

So the id string of my RuoShui is "ELEC,RuoShui 4090C" instead of "ZC,ET4410" of the corresponding East Tester ET4410 device.

What is the best way to make a configuration file for the 3 RuoShui LCR meters mentioned above? Should I just copy the "East Tester ET4xxx.txt" config file and change the id strings and device names to the coresponding strings/names of the RuoShui devices? Or should a new config file be made in which somehow (how?) aliases for the East Tester devices are defined? Can someone please explain or point me to the relevant documentation?

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Support for additional LCR meters?
« Reply #2003 on: October 20, 2021, 05:50:19 pm »
So the id string of my RuoShui is "ELEC,RuoShui 4090C" instead of "ZC,ET4410" of the corresponding East Tester ET4410 device.

What is the best way to make a configuration file for the 3 RuoShui LCR meters mentioned above? Should I just copy the "East Tester ET4xxx.txt" config file and change the id strings and device names to the coresponding strings/names of the RuoShui devices? Or should a new config file be made in which somehow (how?) aliases for the East Tester devices are defined? Can someone please explain or point me to the relevant documentation?

No, the best way is to duplicate all the matching #metadef sections and then modify #idstring, #handle & #name strings, check that it works and then post the modified file here.
Pressing F1 in TestController will open your browser with documentation, there you can find information about the definitions files. The definition file also contains a direct link to the documentation for the file.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2004 on: October 20, 2021, 07:02:57 pm »
As the brand and model are completely different I would have thought duplicating the file and replacing those parts would be the better way to go.

Just add notes in the file stating it is based on the east tester.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2005 on: October 20, 2021, 07:09:01 pm »
As the brand and model are completely different I would have thought duplicating the file and replacing those parts would be the better way to go.

Just add notes in the file stating it is based on the east tester.

As long as they are the same I prefer to keep one definition, this means if anything is fixed in the definition it will be fixed for all of them.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2006 on: October 20, 2021, 07:21:38 pm »
I have modified the original file to include that meter, which I have attached, please try it.

If it works then the new file can be used instead.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:23:10 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2007 on: October 20, 2021, 07:31:44 pm »
HKJ I am glad that you added the tracking readouts, I was just about to ask you if you had something for that as changing modes on the LCR meter was requiring multiple displays to be present, I have tried the new tracking display out and it works well, great improvement.
Cheers Scott

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2008 on: October 20, 2021, 08:06:10 pm »
HKJ I am glad that you added the tracking readouts, I was just about to ask you if you had something for that as changing modes on the LCR meter was requiring multiple displays to be present, I have tried the new tracking display out and it works well, great improvement.

I did know about the problem and already promised something in post #1983
The single line tracking displays are for DMM's, I know that it is not needed as much, but it is a nice to have and it was not that much work.

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2009 on: October 20, 2021, 10:11:51 pm »
I have modified the original file to include that meter, which I have attached, please try it.
If it works then the new file can be used instead.

Thanks Defpom,

I have tried your new "East Tester ET4xxx.txt" config file with my LCR meter.
With the new config file my RuoShui 4090C LCR Meter is indeed recognized, and I have verified that I can control the LCR meter with the Mode and Setup windows.
This is illustrated in attached screenshot at the end of this post.

I have a problem however with displaying the readout values (capacitance value and ESR value).
When I select Popups => Readout, the popup windows only shows four dashes ( ---- )
When I select Popups => Grid Panel, the popup windows shows 888888, and nothing is shown after "Select Channel".
I also did not manage to display readout values on tabs "Current values" or Table.
I have only just started to use TestController, so probably I am missing something.

When I start TestController in debug mode, I can see that the values of Cs and ESR are actually read by TestController. The debug window shows the following information:

;; Start thread for: COM5 - Ruoshui 4090C
;; COM5: Set params: 115200
;; COM5: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; COM5: Rx: <ELEC,RuoShui 4090C  ,V1.01.2026.016,V1.12.2035.007,098465905      > 45 4C 45 43 2C 52 75 6F 53 68 75 69 20 34 30 39 30 43 20 20 2C 56 31 2E 30 31 2E 32 30 32 36 2E 30 31 36 2C 56 31 2E 31 32 2E 32 30 33 35 2E 30 30 37 2C 30 39 38 34 36 35 39 30 35 20 20 20 20 20 20
;; Found Ruoshui 4090C on STM32 Virtual COM Port (COM5) sn: V1.01.2026.016
;; 90C: Tx <:FETC?>
;; COM5: Tx: <:FETC?.> 3A 46 45 54 43 3F 0A
;; COM5: Rx: <2.14122e-07,0.107718> 32 2E 31 34 31 32 32 65 2D 30 37 2C 30 2E 31 30 37 37 31 38
;; 90C: Rx <2.14122e-07,0.107718>
;; 90C: Rx after :readmath: getElement(value,0)+";"+replace(getElement(value,2),"\xa6\xc8","PHI"); <2.14122e-07;>
Unknown mode: 2.14122e-07
Known modes: ECAP, C, L, Z, R, DCR, ESR, D, X, Q, Deg, AUTO,

Note the line:
;; 90C: Rx <2.14122e-07,0.107718>2.14122e-07 is the capacitor value, and 0.107718 is the ESR value. These are the exact values that are shown on the screen of the LCR meter.
But as said before, so far I did not manage to display these value on a popup window on my PC.

Also note the next line:
Unknown mode: 2.14122e-07It seems that TestController expects a mode when reading the capacitance value?

Hints on how to display the capacitance value + ESR value are welcome!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:19:32 pm by C.J.S. »

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2010 on: October 20, 2021, 10:44:04 pm »
If you go to the "Current Values" tab you should see the readouts there, this confirms communication is OK.

When you create popoups or grid windows, once you have the display there, you need to right click on it and choose a device or reading to view.

Also the "Active mode:" display in the Setup window isn't perfect, it will only show a mode once you have clicked on one in the Mode window.
Cheers Scott

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2011 on: October 20, 2021, 10:48:57 pm »
I just looked a bit closer at your Debug info, the modes are not returned with the response so it is not exactly the same as the ET4xxx series, as those return the mode at the same time which is how TC knows how to display the data.

The ET4xxx response is: Mode1,Value1,Mode2,Value2 which is different.

This might need a seperate definition file after all as it is just returning the two values instead.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:51:13 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2012 on: October 20, 2021, 11:17:47 pm »
Here is a ROUGH definition for your meter, it may or may not work!

It will not show modes, only the values, but will be a good basis to write the proper definition file.

Make sure you remove the modified East Tester ET4xxx file and return it to original to avoid possible clashes.
Cheers Scott

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2013 on: October 21, 2021, 09:33:25 am »
To make the readouts show mode (C/H/ohm/etc.) automatic it is necessary that they are supplied on the line with #askValues?

This can be either a single command that supplies both values and modes or two commands after the #askValues?

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2014 on: October 21, 2021, 10:06:41 am »
I just looked a bit closer at your Debug info, the modes are not returned with the response so it is not exactly the same as the ET4xxx series, as those return the mode at the same time which is how TC knows how to display the data.

The ET4xxx response is: Mode1,Value1,Mode2,Value2 which is different.

Just to summarize, the responses of the ET4xxx and Ruoshui 4090x on the FETC? command are indeed different.
ET4xxx response is: Mode1,Value1,Mode2,Value2
4090x response is: Value1, Value2
So we can conclude that unfortunately the firmware of the ET4xxx and Ruoshui 4090x is not exactly the same.

The response of the ET4xxxx is more convenient, since it shows immediately the names of the two parameters that are displayed.

Here is a ROUGH definition for your meter, it may or may not work!

It will not show modes, only the values, but will be a good basis to write the proper definition file.

Make sure you remove the modified East Tester ET4xxx file and return it to original to avoid possible clashes.

I can confirm that with your Ruoshui 4090x definition file TC indeed correctly reads out the two values (Primary and 2nd). The values are now displayed on the Current values tab, and can now also be displayed via popups. This is illustrated in the screenshot attached below.

@ Defpom and HKJ, thank you very much for your time, it is much appreciated. I will have a closer look at the 4090x definition file and do some further testing, and see if with my limited coding skills I can find a way to show the parameter (mode) names for the two values that are displayed. The coming few days however I have other things to take care of. I expect to come back after the weekend.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:13:07 am by C.J.S. »

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2015 on: October 21, 2021, 10:39:30 am »
So we can conclude that unfortunately the firmware of the ET4xxx and Ruoshui 4090x is not exactly the same.

Correct, the question is how different they are. To make a definition you need to know the commands!

The response of the ET4xxxx is more convenient, since it shows immediately the names of the two parameters that are displayed.

For TestController it do not really matter if it has to use one or two commands to get the information, the important part is to get it.

@ Defpom and HKJ, thank you very much for your time, it is much appreciated. I will have a closer look at the 4090x definition file and do some further testing, and see if with my limited coding skills I can find a way to show the parameter (mode) names for the two values that are displayed. The coming few days however I have other things to take care of. I expect to come back after the weekend.

A definition is not really coding or programming, but some programming knowledge may make it easier to understand how it works.

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2016 on: October 21, 2021, 08:47:11 pm »
To make a definition you need to know the commands!
For TestController it does not really matter if it has to use one or two commands to get the information, the important part is to get it.
For your information, I found a PDF document that describes SCPI commands for the RuoShui 4090x LCR meters. I have attached the PDF at the bottom of this message.
The document is not very tidy, but it seems that the information in it is valid for the 4090C meter that I have.
The commands to query the primary and secondary measurement mode are:
FUNCtion:IMPedance:A?
FUNCtion:IMPedance:B?
FUNCtion:IMPedance:EQUivalent?

Below the response on some SCPI queries with the LCR meter set to measure Capacitance + ESR:
;; Found Ruoshui 4090C on STM32 Virtual COM Port (COM5) sn: V1.01.2026.016
FETCh?
;; 2.14287e-07,0.146838
FUNCtion:IMPedance:A?
;; C
FUNCtion:IMPedance:B?
;; ESR
FUNCtion:IMPedance:EQUivalent?
;; SERial

With this information is should be possible to update the configuration file for proper display of the measurement modes.

PS (just for background information): I found this SCPI document on the youtube channel of Tony Albus, who is also active on this forum. See video #083.
The youtube video is a review + teardown of the RuoShui 4090C that I own. At the end of the video at circa 21:00 the housing is opened and it is shown that the PCB is labeled "ET44". This label suggests that the meter is designed and manufactured by East Tester, and that these RuoShui meters are the same as the ET44xx meters. However I noticed that the PCB of the RuoShui is actually different from the PCB of the ET4401 meter shown by Defpom in his youtube review + teardown of the ET4401. So even if the specs of the RuoShui and East Tester meters are the same, both hardware and firmware appear to be somewhat different. Another possibility is that we are looking at different PCB revisions that may be used by both brands.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:06:29 pm by C.J.S. »

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2017 on: October 21, 2021, 09:06:26 pm »
If the meter is responding to the mode commands and setting changes then the SCPI format is the same, just check the series/parallel mode as I found that command was a bit odd and not quite as per the manual for the ET4xxx, but if that is working too then that part isn't the issue.

The SCPI manual is almost identical to the ET it even has the same typos in it ! the SCPI commands are identical.

The challenge will be tracking the modes (well not that much of a challenge, as it can be tracked when you change modes in TC), so that parts needs to be added to the definition, what I provided was just to get started, I might sit down today and try to add mode tracking to it.
Cheers Scott

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2018 on: October 21, 2021, 09:24:22 pm »
I agree that the SCPI format of both meters seems to be the same, but as we have seen the response on the FETCh? query of the ET4401 and RuoShui 4090C is different. Hopefully that is the only difference. I am not sure why you say that tracking the modes will be a challenge, since you can query the active operating mode by means of the FUNCtion:IMPedance:A/B/EQUivalent? queries.
Anyway, if you have time and sense (not sure if this is proper English) to add mode tracking, feel free to do so  :). But don't feel obliged.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2019 on: October 21, 2021, 09:25:27 pm »
Can you post the response from sending the unit:
:FUNC:IMP:A?
and also
:FUNC:IMP:B?

Attached is a small tweak that SHOULD at least give you primary mode detection AFTER changing modes from the window, not the unit.

I am sure that this can be tracked from the :FUNC:IMP:A? and :FUNC:IMP:B? but I am still learning how to do this stuff myself.
Cheers Scott

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2020 on: October 21, 2021, 09:41:46 pm »
Hi Scott,

These are the responses on FUNC:IMP:A? and B? and EQU?

:FUNC:IMP:A?
;; C
;; ESR
:FUNC:IMP:EQU?
;; SERial

So the same responses as on the longer commands that I posted in my earlier post.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2021 on: October 21, 2021, 09:43:50 pm »
Can you put the meter into Angle mode and see what it returns for that too?

Attached is a version that MIGHT give you most of the readouts, apart from angle.
Cheers Scott

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2022 on: October 21, 2021, 09:55:19 pm »
Hi Scott,
After putting the meter in Angle mode I get following respons:
;; THR
I will now try your latest config and after that it is bedtime for me :)

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2023 on: October 21, 2021, 09:58:39 pm »
The easiest way to see if this is working is to view the "Current Values" tab as you switch between modes from the window.
Cheers Scott

Offline C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #2024 on: October 21, 2021, 10:08:04 pm »
I have tried your latest config file, but something seems to go wrong.
The Current values tab now shows only 2nd mode in the Name column, but the value that is displayed corresponds with the primary mode value, but with the decimal on the wrong position (EDIT: the problem with the decimal point was already there before). See screenshot attached below. The second last config had the same problem.

The meter itself shows:
Cs    214.2 nF      (corresponding readout value is 2.142E-7, see previous screenshot)
ESR  0.12   Ohm  (the ESR display actually varies between circa 0.08 and 0.14 ohm)

I am now off to bed. Thanks a lot for your support!

EDIT: Corrections made.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:18:13 pm by C.J.S. »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf