Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 467691 times)

Offline pivous

Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #3050 on: May 22, 2023, 11:12:16 am »
Thank you for reply!

I have partial success in controlling my Advantest R6551 over AR488. In the manual, I found that the R6551 device can be switched to the HP3478A mode. So I hoped the Test Controller will work with HP3478A.txt setting file directly. But it does not work and I have no response.

But when I send the Test Controller startup sequence

++default<LF>++addr 6<LF>B<LF>++read_tmo_ms 950<LF>++read eoi<LF>

to R6551 directly from the terminal application, everytjing is OK and the device responds and returns the measured value correctly.  I suspect that the startup sequence is being sent by the Test Controller too early, before the serial port has a chance to initialize. That corresponds to my research on the terminal as well. Is it good idea? If yes is there some possibility to delay the startup sequence?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 11:24:27 am by pivous »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3051 on: May 23, 2023, 10:46:06 am »
Thank you for reply!

I have partial success in controlling my Advantest R6551 over AR488. In the manual, I found that the R6551 device can be switched to the HP3478A mode. So I hoped the Test Controller will work with HP3478A.txt setting file directly. But it does not work and I have no response.

But when I send the Test Controller startup sequence

++default<LF>++addr 6<LF>B<LF>++read_tmo_ms 950<LF>++read eoi<LF>

to R6551 directly from the terminal application, everytjing is OK and the device responds and returns the measured value correctly.  I suspect that the startup sequence is being sent by the Test Controller too early, before the serial port has a chance to initialize. That corresponds to my research on the terminal as well. Is it good idea? If yes is there some possibility to delay the startup sequence?

A definition can add extra startup delay see here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html#Arduino_startup_reset
If you want the delay for your computer and not a single device, there is a command line option for it.

Offline pivous

« Reply #3052 on: May 23, 2023, 11:43:33 am »

A definition can add extra startup delay see here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html#Arduino_startup_reset
If you want the delay for your computer and not a single device, there is a command line option for it.

Thank you! It works!

Offline pivous

« Reply #3053 on: June 02, 2023, 06:09:33 am »
I have created the first configuration file (It is not cleaned yet, but is functional) for Advantech R6551 (attached). Everything is working as I expected, except for an issue with refreshing the setup screen in relation to the "Autorange" checkbox. When Autorange is set to off, everything is O.K..

1. However, if I set "Autorange On",  the "comboboxHot Range DC_Voltage" becomes grayed out. That is correct. But, if I close the Setup window and reopen it, the "comboboxHot Range DC_Voltage" is no longer grayed out. This is incorrect.

2. If I gradually enable and disable "Autorange" in the opened Setup window using the command: (write: getElement("RANGE:1000V RANGE:AUTO", value)), the instrument correctly switches Range to "Auto" (On) and then to 1000V(off), but the change of the Range (to 1000V) is not indicated in the comboboxHot Range DC_Voltage.

Do you have some idea how to correct it? For better understanding I attached a printscreen of the setup window.

Here is my code for DC_Voltage  setup screen definition:

#cmdSetup info Active_Mode
:read: READ:FUNCTION?
:readmath: getElement("?; DC Voltage;AC Voltage;2W Resistance;4W Resistance;DC Current;AC Current", value)
:updatemodechange:

;DC_Voltage-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#cmdSetup checkbox AutoRange DC_Voltage
:write: (getElement("RANGE:1000V RANGE:AUTO",value))
:read: READ:RANGE?
:readmath: matchList(value,"0",1,"3",0,"4",0,"5",0,"6",0,"7",0)
On 0 1

#cmdSetup comboboxHot Range DC_Voltage
:enable: !DC_Voltage.AutoRange.On
:write: (getElement("? RANGE:300MVI RANGE:3VI RANGE:30VR RANGE:300VR RANGE:1000V",value))
:readmath: matchList(value,"3",1,"4",2,"5",3,"6",4,"7",5)
300mV 1
3V 2
30V 3
300V 4
1000V 5

« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 01:08:39 pm by pivous »

Offline Sierra

• Contributor
« Reply #3054 on: June 02, 2023, 03:31:54 pm »
Has anyone used the UT171 B/C meters with Test Controller?  Hoping for compatibility given the support from so many other UT meters. 

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3055 on: June 02, 2023, 04:18:59 pm »
I have created the first configuration file (It is not cleaned yet, but is functional) for Advantech R6551 (attached). Everything is working as I expected, except for an issue with refreshing the setup screen in relation to the "Autorange" checkbox. When Autorange is set to off, everything is O.K..

1. However, if I set "Autorange On",  the "comboboxHot Range DC_Voltage" becomes grayed out. That is correct. But, if I close the Setup window and reopen it, the "comboboxHot Range DC_Voltage" is no longer grayed out. This is incorrect.

2. If I gradually enable and disable "Autorange" in the opened Setup window using the command: (write: getElement("RANGE:1000V RANGE:AUTO", value)), the instrument correctly switches Range to "Auto" (On) and then to 1000V(off), but the change of the Range (to 1000V) is not indicated in the comboboxHot Range DC_Voltage.

Do you have some idea how to correct it? For better understanding I attached a printscreen of the setup window.

Here is my code for DC_Voltage  setup screen definition:

#cmdSetup info Active_Mode
:read: READ:FUNCTION?
:readmath: getElement("?; DC Voltage;AC Voltage;2W Resistance;4W Resistance;DC Current;AC Current", value)

;DC_Voltage-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#cmdSetup checkbox AutoRange DC_Voltage
:write: (getElement("RANGE:1000V RANGE:AUTO",value))
:readmath: matchList(value,"0",1,"3",0,"4",0,"5",0,"6",0,"7",0)
On 0 1

#cmdSetup comboboxHot Range DC_Voltage
:enable: !DC_Voltage.AutoRange.On
:write: (getElement("? RANGE:300MVI RANGE:3VI RANGE:30VR RANGE:300VR RANGE:1000V",value))
:readmath: matchList(value,"3",1,"4",2,"5",3,"6",4,"7",5)
300mV 1
3V 2
30V 3
300V 4
1000V 5

You have probably mixed up on the mode update definitions.
:updatemodechange: is releated the the "Mode" popup function and will update the control when it is used.
Using a regular :update: with names of the controls to update is the way to update other controls when a value change.
https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html#Configuration_menu

I will be happy to include your definition, but I will wait and see if you got a update with this.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3056 on: June 02, 2023, 04:20:49 pm »
Has anyone used the UT171 B/C meters with Test Controller?  Hoping for compatibility given the support from so many other UT meters.

The issue is not the meter, but the interface. UNI-T meters with serial port interface is supported, but not meters with HID interface.
Some of the UNI-T cables uses serial ports, other uses HID.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3057 on: June 04, 2023, 07:35:48 am »
V2.35 is up
It has a few bug fixes and additions, it also includes a collection of new devices.
   Added: B&K Precision 9115 Power supply (Thanks jmurray)
   Added: Owon TAO3104 oscillioscope as voltmeter (Thanks GBY)
   Added: Sorensen DCS80-13 power supply (Thanks GBY)
   Added: Sorensen DCS600-1.7 power supply (Thanks GBY)
   Added: Hioki PW6001 Power analyzer (Thanks GBY)
   Added: Vitrek PA900 power analyzer (Thanks GBY)
   Added: Yokogawa WT5000 power analyzer (Thanks GBY)
   Updated: Ametek XG 600-1.4 with script interface (Thanks GBY)
   Updated: GW Instek AC/DC power supply ASR-2000 Series for faster logging speed (Thanks GBY)
   Fixed: GW Instek series power supply names (Thanks GBY)   
   Added: :enable: / :visible: var to info control.
   Added: Racal-Dana 1998 & Racal-Dana 1998 Counter only config and logging (Thanks Gertjan Miedema)
   Added: HP53131A Counter (Thanks Hexley)
   Added: Block driver will support socket interface.
   Added: Poll delay setting in Block driver (#pollPause)
   Fixed: A charset issue with  #rxStart in Block driver
   Added: GPP-4323 support for firmware 1.19 and newer (Thanks Hexley)

Sorry about the slow update, but before GBY posted a lot of new drivers there where not much to update. My main internet connection being down also delayed the update.

The following users thanked this post: ali_asadzadeh, croma641, Gertjan, Hexley, jmurray, dibro, Oleksii, Detlev

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3058 on: June 05, 2023, 08:03:00 am »
Thanks HKJ, I hope we see more update more frequently, also if you have any updates on siglent SDS2104X Plus series scopes, it would be very nice to add them. :-+
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3059 on: June 05, 2023, 08:23:44 am »
Hi HKJ,

A bit (too) late to the party, but here is a configuration file for the Racal-Dana 1991 and 1992 Universal Nanosecond Counters.

These counters are sister models to the 1998 and 1999, but targeted at another use profile. While the 1998/1999 are optimized for frequency counting, the 1991 and 1992 are universal counters, with scientific display, and much more functions.
Hence a more extensive Setup Menu:

Racal 1991-1992 v0.35 screenshot.png

While the command structure is the same, the 1991 and 1992 are having much more, and often a bit different commands. Hence a separate configuration file.

This configuration file was a co-production. I wrote it, but do not have a 1992 counter.
Dutch Circuits Online forum member Peter_dtn kindly stepped up, and did all the beta-testing. He tested with both 1992 and 1991.
Please find the product of our joint efforts at the bottom of this post.

V2.35 is up
Added: Racal-Dana 1998 & Racal-Dana 1998 Counter only config and logging
The Racal-Dana 1998 & Racal-Dana 1999 (note the small typo) are fully functional in TC.
Just when using their longest gate-times of 1 and 20 seconds, they can not keep up with feeding the Popups etc. As with these long gate times it takes 1 or 20 seconds to take one measurement....

Best regards, Gertjan.

Racal1991-1992.zip

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #3060 on: June 06, 2023, 01:21:51 am »
   Added: :enable: / :visible: var to info control.

Can confirm this appears to be working well!

Block driver on socket does not appear to be reading response packets into Test Controller.

Code: (Tx/Rx via serial) [Select]
;; COM14: Tx: 40 30 31 32 35 34 36 2A 0D
;; COM14: Rx: 40 30 31 32 35 30 30 43 38 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 44 2A 0D 0A

Code: (Tx/Rx via socket) [Select]
;; 192.168.0.80: Tx: 40 30 31 32 35 34 36 2A 0D
;; 192.168.0.80: Rx timeout 1000ms   In buffer:
dk.hkj.script.ProgramExceptions$UnknownException: No digits in number <>

Monitoring the lines with a terminal window I can see the responses to Test Controller's commands.
When using socket, the response does not appear to be read into Test Controller so it keeps sending the same command.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3061 on: June 06, 2023, 08:18:27 am »
Thanks HKJ, I hope we see more update more frequently, also if you have any updates on siglent SDS2104X Plus series scopes, it would be very nice to add them. :-+

A update usually includes any new/updated drivers I have.
I prefer only to do updates when I have something, but I might have to update a bit more frequently that this time.

Ideas to improvement/additions to TC that I like, can make me do an update (Ideas that requires major changes to TC will most likely be ignored).
New device definitions will also increase my decide to do an update.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3062 on: June 06, 2023, 08:23:06 am »
Hi HKJ,

A bit (too) late to the party, but here is a configuration file for the Racal-Dana 1991 and 1992 Universal Nanosecond Counters.

These counters are sister models to the 1998 and 1999, but targeted at another use profile. While the 1998/1999 are optimized for frequency counting, the 1991 and 1992 are universal counters, with scientific display, and much more functions.

Thanks, it will be included in the next release.
Until then it can be fetched from your post.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3063 on: June 06, 2023, 08:24:25 am »

Block driver on socket does not appear to be reading response packets into Test Controller.

Code: (Tx/Rx via serial) [Select]
;; COM14: Tx: 40 30 31 32 35 34 36 2A 0D
;; COM14: Rx: 40 30 31 32 35 30 30 43 38 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 44 2A 0D 0A

Code: (Tx/Rx via socket) [Select]
;; 192.168.0.80: Tx: 40 30 31 32 35 34 36 2A 0D
;; 192.168.0.80: Rx timeout 1000ms   In buffer:
dk.hkj.script.ProgramExceptions$UnknownException: No digits in number <>

Monitoring the lines with a terminal window I can see the responses to Test Controller's commands.
When using socket, the response does not appear to be read into Test Controller so it keeps sending the same command.

I will have to look closer at this.

Offline palmerr23

• Contributor
« Reply #3064 on: June 07, 2023, 01:53:41 am »
Just to note that I did a how-to article for TestController in April's Silicon Chip magazine.

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2023/April

The article is in support of a test bench automation hardware project in the same issue.

I hope it brings more users to TestController.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3065 on: June 07, 2023, 07:24:58 am »
Just to note that I did a how-to article for TestController in April's Silicon Chip magazine.

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2023/April

The article is in support of a test bench automation hardware project in the same issue.

I hope it brings more users to TestController.

Nice, but it is behind a paywall, only the first page is visible (I would have loved to see the full article).

A few notes:
TC also support binary protocols, they will internally be converted to SCPI like protocols for scripting and manual control.
The supported device count is above 500 now.
It works on Windows, Linux and Mac, it may also work on other OS types as long as they support standard Java and are supported by the serial library.

Offline palmerr23

• Contributor
« Reply #3066 on: June 08, 2023, 01:30:31 am »
Thanks for the update - I wrote the article nearly a year ago (the publishing process takes quite a while), so I'm unsurprised that there have been multiple improvements since that time.

I've sent a copy of the proof to the email address on your website.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3067 on: June 08, 2023, 05:33:43 am »
Thanks for the update - I wrote the article nearly a year ago (the publishing process takes quite a while), so I'm unsurprised that there have been multiple improvements since that time.

I've sent a copy of the proof to the email address on your website.

Thanks for the article, it was interesting reading and a nice example of using TestController. I hope a lot of people read it  :)
When scripting, try using the script generator, it can make it some scripting a lot easier. The actual options in the menu will change, depending on what you do in TestController. I.e. do a configuration from one or more popup menus and the script generator will list a option to generate a script that do that. If the "Log event" popup is open and configured, there is a option to generate the same test in a script.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3068 on: June 11, 2023, 08:47:41 am »
In addition to the article about TestController, Silicon chip magazine also have a project that uses TestController. I have added link and description to my user project page:

http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerUserProjects1%20UK.html#Swiss_Army_knife

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3069 on: June 15, 2023, 02:05:30 pm »
Hi HKJ,

At the moment I am using Testcontroller a lot. Usually logging with 3 to 6 traces on the Chart.
It gets annoying pretty fast that every time I stop logging (for example to fine-tune the measurement set-up), and starting the logging again, I have to re-select the traces to get them in the preferred order again...

It would be nice if the curve selection could be remembered... Maybe until other devices are loaded? Or an extra checkbox: remember trace selection?

TC chart screenshot-1000pix

regards, Gertjan.

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #3070 on: June 15, 2023, 02:32:45 pm »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3071 on: June 16, 2023, 04:09:33 pm »
Hi HKJ,

At the moment I am using Testcontroller a lot. Usually logging with 3 to 6 traces on the Chart.
It gets annoying pretty fast that every time I stop logging (for example to fine-tune the measurement set-up), and starting the logging again, I have to re-select the traces to get them in the preferred order again...

It would be nice if the curve selection could be remembered... Maybe until other devices are loaded? Or an extra checkbox: remember trace selection?

As jmurray says above it can be done with a script and TC can auto-generate a script to recreate the current layout.
This is done by right clicking on the log window and select "Generate scripts" and then "Chart/Hist/Range script", you can generate it directly as a menu option for the log window.

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3072 on: June 16, 2023, 05:35:36 pm »
Hi HKJ,

Thank you for the explanation. I tried it immediately.

When I click right on the log window and select "Generate scripts" and then "Chart/Hist/Range script", indeed something is running in the log & program editor window. I save the script.
When I stop, and restart the logging, I click "load and run", open the script, and click "run". Indeed the right traces are now selected, but unfortunately NOT in the right order....
So I must be missing something....

Anyway, this work-around seems like more work then just manually click the traces in the right order....

Regards, Gertjan.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3073 on: June 16, 2023, 06:01:07 pm »
Hi HKJ,

Thank you for the explanation. I tried it immediately.

When I click right on the log window and select "Generate scripts" and then "Chart/Hist/Range script", indeed something is running in the log & program editor window. I save the script.
When I stop, and restart the logging, I click "load and run", open the script, and click "run". Indeed the right traces are now selected, but unfortunately NOT in the right order....
So I must be missing something....

Anyway, this work-around seems like more work then just manually click the traces in the right order....

I think I see the problem, I have not really seen the selection sequence as a important parameter, just that the right tracks are selected.
The script do more than just select the traces as you can see on the script commands.

If you email me a datafile and screen shoots of your selection, the restored selection and the generated script. I will take a look and if I agree you are right about selection is important and it is not too hard to fix it I will.

When doing this it might be best to generate a menu entry, it makes future selection very easy.

Offline andyB2022

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3074 on: June 23, 2023, 03:02:16 pm »
Hi, any config file here for ET5420A+?

Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf