Author Topic: New Fluke 87-V is broken  (Read 5416 times)

Offline ryannTopic starter

• Contributor
New Fluke 87-V is broken
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:57 pm »
My parents were very nice to me for Christmas and bought me a Fluke 87-V multimeter.  I've worked with it since a few times, and I really like it.  Today, however, I seem to have killed it.

I wanted to put some labels on the multimeter.  I figured one label should go on the inside.  I took out the battery, lifted the back of the multimeter, and stuck the label on the back cover.  I put the cover back on, reinstalled the battery, and checked to make sure it still worked.

Well, it didn't.  I have no idea what I did.  I literally popped the cover off, and popped it right back on.  I made sure the mode selector switch on the inside was on the OFF position, I checked for foreign object debris, and I measured the battery voltage to make sure it wasn't dead.  Everything checked out well.

I did more investigation.  I took off the LCD & plastic plate, as well as the shield.  No FOD here.  I checked underneath the mode switch.  All the plungers? looked straight and springy, and the contacts on the PCB looked clean.

I have no idea what's wrong.  Fluke is closed today, so I plan on calling them tomorrow to see how well their lifetime warranty works.  In the meantime, please review the video below and give me some other non-warranty-voiding ideas.

Thanks,
Ryan Nazaretian

Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/rSrLYSoCnyM

Offline ryanblace

• Los Angeles
Re: New Fluke 87-V is broken
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:00:37 pm »
Take it apart again and make a video of it operating without the front cover like the picture. You can rotate the white selector (there is an arrow on it) with an allen key.  I have a feeling that the selector isn't lined up correctly.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:02 pm »
ModemHead's blog post gives an idea of how it works (could be specific to the original 80 series)...

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-83-dmm-repair/

"Also, there is the potential to engage the switch hub with the knob via its hexagonal shaft in such a way that it is not aligned properly.  This would allow the switch hub to be rotated beyond where it normally stops."
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:42:26 am by retiredcaps »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:57:09 pm »
I don't think that's an issue here.  I recorded a video, but I have to edit it because my mom and our puppy walked in while I was recording...  It's clearly lined up properly.

College kid at home problems...  :-\

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:47:40 am »
The V generation does not have the PTF/voltage-divider style code switch on the back, so it can't be that.  (No rotary switch self-test either.)  But there's obviously something wrong with the rotary switch, specifically that portion of it that indicates which function is selected, to the micro-controller.  It's out of sync with how the front end is configured, hence the non-sensical results.

I haven't taken any of 'V' generation units apart, and I haven't seen any publicly available schematics for it either, so I can't come up with any more specific advice.   :-\

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »
Sorry for the long awaited video... I had to clear out about 20GB of space in order to edit the video... then it failed to export a few times.  Finally got it done.  Uploading to YouTube now... so be patient.  It says about 40 minutes left.

http://youtu.be/pQmxFV6C9Kw

I'm going to give Fluke a call later today.  I have some outdoor chores to do before the weather gets bad.

Thanks again!

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:51:46 pm »
I called Fluke today.  They told me the same with the knob being turned the wrong direction.  I told them that it was correctly assembled, as can be seen in the video above.  I shipped it out today, and hope to get it back sometime next week. 

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 09:44:27 pm »
It will be interesting if they tell you what the problem was.  Please report back after you hear from Fluke.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:11 pm »
Just got it back.

On the service paper, they said they replaced U2. I saw somewhere that it's a AD737J, which is an RMS-to-DC converter. It doesn't make much sense why that would cause all the problems I was getting. They performed a calibration and sent it back. Seems to work as far as I can tell.

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:56:27 pm »
Thanks for the report.  You're right, that doesn't make much sense.  But no matter as long as it works now!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf