Author Topic: PSU recommendation  (Read 996 times)

Offline jtruc34Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
PSU recommendation
« on: December 09, 2021, 12:28:40 am »
Hi,

I'm looking for a linear 2 to 3 floating outputs. I mainly work on audio (small signal or small power, max 30W), general analog circuitry (generally non RF but I might do it some day, though I doubt it'll really affect the PSU I'm gonna need) and microcontrollers (sometimes FPGA, but again, it is kinda of the same supply requirements).

My budget is <800$, but it would be better to stay <500$, though it might conflict other requirements and I could reconsider my budget afterwards. I already own a Korad KA3005P. I find its interface really cheap, its rotary encoder is already half-broken and its precision is not very impressive, all of which are very acceptable for its price.

Why I think I need more outputs is because I often need split-rails for audio, or different voltage level for different components, or some DC test signal to test a biais point or something similar. While I can use my signal generator for the latter, I then lose an output that could be valuable elsewhere.

There are workaround for all these points, but this is just inconvenient.

The last point I want to mention, is that over the last years, I've become more and more opposed to buying cheap and buying many things that I'll just use for 2 years. With this in mind, I would rather buy something with things I don't need yet but that I am "obviously" going to need in the future, and I also rather pay a little more for a western brand than a little less for a chinese company with questionable working conditions somewhere in the production line.

The two options I have is buying new, and there aren't that many options in that price range, or to buy used, and there, there is much too many options. I should write an e-mail to my university to see whether they sell/throw away (they've got too much money to spend) some of their old equipment.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you

Offline PeterKlop

• Contributor
Re: PSU recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 12:51:04 am »
The GPP models from GW Instek are nice to use, very decent quality and a lot of value for the money.

Offline electronic_guy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 01:00:51 am »
You could go with a HP Agilent 3631A which is a triple output power supply with 6V/5A, +/-25V/1A or a HP Agilent 3646A a dual output power supply with 8V@3A,20V@1.5A. Both goes for around $500 on ebay used market.
The good thing with buying a well known brand that has stayed for a long time is that there are many resources to get support from and when it comes to HP, they have well documented service manuals. Also in case you don't need em anymore, you could easily sell them at the same price or more, most of the time. Those time tested equipment hold their value over time just the same.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 05:01:13 pm »
Why buy old crap if there is budget for new? IMHO the GW Instek GPP series is a very good choice nowadays.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: MarkKn, geneonline

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf