Author Topic: question from Rigol DM3068 owners and purchase advice  (Read 3627 times)

Offline analogRFTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
question from Rigol DM3068 owners and purchase advice
« on: September 06, 2018, 06:19:57 pm »
In my long search for a bench multimeter to replace my (sold) 34401A after grudgingly holding back from DMM6500 and 34465A (only because of the price that I cannot afford)  |O I am stuck between Rigol DM3068 and a used Fluke 8846A which I can get for about $675+shipping and tax.

Aside from higher reliability of the Fluke, Rigol has all the features that I want except perhaps one thing that I was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer: in dual display mode, can it measure voltage and current together at the same time? I know it is not good for the relay and should not be used for long periods of time but it's really handy in many occasions.

The Fluke can do it and most other meters including Rigol's own DM3058 are capable of doing this measurement but so far nobody has given me a definitive answer as to whether DM3068 is able to do this or not. It's funny that even the Rigol tech support guy was not quite sure...

If you Rigol owners can comment on the display size and readability and also the responsiveness of the instrument it's much appreciated...or any other pros and cons....

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
Re: question from Rigol DM3068 owners and purchase advice
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:40:56 pm »
No the DM3068 won't read current and voltage as first/second function simultaneously. Unfortunately!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 07:01:18 pm »
No the DM3068 won't read current and voltage as first/second function simultaneously. Unfortunately!

Thanks! finally someone could clear that up. That's why eevblog rocks
but it's now more dilemma for me  :-\

any other comments about the Rigol? That used 8846A is also tempting but i don't know the history of it except that the VFD display seems ok

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 07:05:02 pm »
I had one for test and I found out that it had SCPI connectivity problems, breaking a connection without any obvious reason.
The RIGOL is very old, and will probably be replaced soon.

I can only recommend the 34465A. I have never tested the cheaper new Keysight models, but maybe they do what you want and fit into your price range ?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 07:12:50 pm »
Why even give the Rigol a second thought if you can get a 8846A for the same money.
VE7FM

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 07:20:07 pm »
I agree. The Fluke wins hands down.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 07:25:54 pm »
Why even give the Rigol a second thought if you can get a 8846A for the same money.

there are several factors: first is the VFD display which I am not a fan of and although in pictures it looks bright I don't know when I receive it, it will actually be evenly bright or worn out. The rigol has some features like the probe hold (auto hold) which I am very used to and the Fluke doesn't have it. Besides I wouldn't know if the Fluke is still in calibration or needs immediate calibration which would cost me a bunch more.

Still there are smaller things like the responsiveness (such as auto-ranging speed) which Rigol seems to be much faster although I have only watched some videos and I cannot definitely say it's true. But the Fluke can measure voltage while measuring current simultaneously (only DC though)

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 11:07:47 pm »
I've had my Rigol DM3068 for about 2 years now.   I really like the meter.  The display is very bright and easy to see.  I have also used the meter with the LAN connection with python plotting scripts.  No problem with connectivity for measurements of weeks.  The histogram display is not at the same league as other meters.  But it is functional.   I really also like the stats displays.

Whatever you do, don't get the 3058 unit.

I know the Rigol 3058 does not get any love on here.  But its my main go to meter when I working on a project.   

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:44:53 am »

Can it at least measure AC component riding on DC when you measure DCV/DCI and vice versa, showing DC value of an AC signal?
That's the most basic job of second display

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 06:26:50 am »
FLuke is used from unknown source. Benchtop meters are not as robust as good handheld.. They are easy to damage so they are 4.5 digits not 6.5 digits anymore..
If that is price for used Fluke with calibration yes...

Rigol will works as specified. Fluke might be better or broken...

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 08:57:02 am »

Can it at least measure AC component riding on DC when you measure DCV/DCI and vice versa, showing DC value of an AC signal?
That's the most basic job of second display

Unfortunately not. I just checked it. You've got to switch between DCV and ACV and do two consecutive measurements (but it's really only a press of a button, once the probes are connected to the DUT). ACV appears to be really "hardware" AC coupled internally since a superimposed DC offset doesn't affect the measurement at all, even at high DC levels/low level AC (typical ripple measurement on a DC rail). Vice versa, DCV is insensitive to AC components as long as the integration time is configured to be multiples of (or long compared to) the period of the AC component.

A few goodies are the freely configurable sensor interface and the DC high-impedance mode (>10GOhm) that can be selected up to 20V.

When I got mine, there weren't many options in its price range and I wanted to buy a new instrument (for warranty and tax reasons), and for me it does the job well. If I would buy it again with the availability of today's choices is another question though...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:40:20 am by TurboTom »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 09:44:36 am »
Why not buy the Keysight 34461A if the 34465A is out of budget?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 07:01:49 pm »
Why not buy the Keysight 34461A if the 34465A is out of budget?

mainly because of (1) more accurate low resistance measurement available on 8846A (both Keysight instruments only start at 100 ohm range)
(2) 10V diode test voltage and current settable to 100uA  (keysight is not flexible and only to 2V or maybe 5V ) (3) large electrolytic capacitance measurement where my LCR meter fails to measure (keysight goes up to 100uF only)

Offline KC0PPH

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 02:55:01 pm »
I am in the market for a bench DMM and would like to stick to Rigol or Siglent due to price.

I am thinking about getting a 5 1/2 digit meter this year and in a year or so a 6 1/2 digit meter once I get used to working with something other than an industrial meter :P Eventually I think 2 DMM's would be a good option and a 5.5 and 6.5 combo should fill any needs my imagination might cook up. My MSO5000 is getting lonely on the bench.

So with that in mind which should I get Rigol or Siglent, and would the 5.5 now and 6.5 later be a decent option (I figure I can check the 1y cal with the new 6.5)

I also am wanting to get a new power supply. I currently use 9V batteries if I am doing split supply things, and 12V bricks for most everything else. I usually just breadboard up a regulator, or build one into my PCBs.

As for a power supply I want 2-3 outputs, 0-18 Volts, 0-2 Amps per channel, precision would be nice. I have been looking at the DP832 and modding it to an DP832A.

I am not looking for bottom of the barrel equipment, however I am also not looking for top of the line. It seems like the Rigol/Siglent fit right in the range that I consider reasonable. Suggestions that are +/- a few hundred dollars are OK, but a 3K DMM is out of my comfort zone.

Am I on the right track?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 03:12:02 pm »
I am in the market for a bench DMM and would like to stick to Rigol or Siglent due to price.

I am thinking about getting a 5 1/2 digit meter this year and in a year or so a 6 1/2 digit meter once I get used to working with something other than an industrial meter :P Eventually I think 2 DMM's would be a good option and a 5.5 and 6.5 combo should fill any needs my imagination might cook up. My MSO5000 is getting lonely on the bench.

So with that in mind which should I get Rigol or Siglent, and would the 5.5 now and 6.5 later be a decent option (I figure I can check the 1y cal with the new 6.5)

I also am wanting to get a new power supply. I currently use 9V batteries if I am doing split supply things, and 12V bricks for most everything else. I usually just breadboard up a regulator, or build one into my PCBs.

As for a power supply I want 2-3 outputs, 0-18 Volts, 0-2 Amps per channel, precision would be nice. I have been looking at the DP832 and modding it to an DP832A.

I am not looking for bottom of the barrel equipment, however I am also not looking for top of the line. It seems like the Rigol/Siglent fit right in the range that I consider reasonable. Suggestions that are +/- a few hundred dollars are OK, but a 3K DMM is out of my comfort zone.

Am I on the right track?

w.r.t bench multimeter I definitely recommend to get only one 6.5 digit of high quality (even used) from agilent or keithley. a used and very nice 34461A can be had for about the same price as a brand new rigol . However, I highly recommend DMM6500 which is an amazing device with tons of functionalities that no other multimeter has. I don't have either of these but I have studied them and watched videos on them like a 1000 times...unfortunately I am not able to buy a DMM6500 at the moment.
Bottom line is, I would not change my good old trusty and accurate 34401A for a brand new rigol and definitely a Siglent. It is still one of the best 6.5 digit for the money. A used fluke 8846A is also very very attractive option.

w.r.t. power supply again I recommend a used but high quality brand like agilent or tektronix. An E3648A I think satisfies your requirements or a tektronix like PS2521G or PS2520G are excellent but heavy and not that expensive.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 07:41:50 pm »

Am I on the right track?
AFAIK the 832's shares a common negative between channels 2 and 3 whereas SPD3303X-E and X have all isolated outputs. That may not matter to you but if your are to use all 3 outputs you need to connect them right so not to fry anything.
X-E can easily be converted to X for 1mV/mA resolution using tv84's firmware patch. Check the Siglent .ads thread.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 12:49:13 am »
w.r.t bench multimeter I definitely recommend to get only one 6.5 digit of high quality (even used) from agilent or keithley. a used and very nice 34461A can be had for about the same price as a brand new rigol . However, I highly recommend DMM6500 which is an amazing device with tons of functionalities that no other multimeter has.
I have a 34461A but if I needed to buy a 6.5 digit DMM again I'd take a long look at the DMM6500. Still if you can get a 34461A relatively cheap I'd get that because it does carry a lot of pedigree. However I must say I'm only using the 34461A when I need to measure something precise and/or do logging and it doesn't even have a permanent spot on my bench unlike two Vichy VC8145 bench dmms. I don't think I have turned my 34461A on during the last year; it is too cumbersome (slow boot) and noisy (due to the fan) to measure something quickly.

If you really want to spend some money on a PSU then look at the Keysight E36300 series. My daily driver bench PSU is an E36313A. The reason I bought such a fancy PSU is because it also has a low current measurement range (1uA resolution / 10uA precision up to 20mA). This is very nice for lower power circuits because you can at least see how much current a circuit draws.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:55:56 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf