Author Topic: Question regarding a FLuke 8810A meter display  (Read 4271 times)

Online xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Question regarding a FLuke 8810A meter display
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:18:04 pm »
So I've gotten into restoring "vintage" DMMs from Ebay. I've gotten some good deals and it's something to futz around with.

I found this Fluke 8810A today, but I'm not sure about it. The guy says it was plugged in but no further testing done.

I'm not sure what it's indicating in the pics. He's got the DCV selected, and at the right side the Auto selected. But then next to the Auto it's got a button depressed. The button seems to only have a function for the ohms scale, not the DCV scale (as you can see above it there is nothing in the green label area which corresponds to the DCV). So what is the display indicating? Does anyone know what mode a Fluke 8810A is in with those buttons depressed? It looks like it's indicating

There's also another pic in the listing with the same buttons pressed and a different reading.

Thanks for any info

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-8810A-Digital-Multimeter-5-1-2-Digit-Ohms-AC-DC-Volt-Meter-/121555201576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4d412e28
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
Re: Question regarding a FLuke 8810A meter display
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:09:07 pm »
I have a 8810A and just tried that and it seemed to be no different to just the AUTO position. Of course its not meant to be used like that and the reading is just drift, (input charging), with no connection to the inputs due to being on the 200mV range and high I/P Z.

One important thing to check is if the unit has both AC V and OHMS options installed (Yes they were options on the 8810A).
Just had a look at the photos and the options section on the photo of the bottom do not have a mark in the square indicating installed.

When the options were not installed there was also a special metal strip that was inserted in the DC AC and OHMS switch bank to prevent the AC and OHMS functions from being selected.
 One interesting thing is the model 8800A AC V and OHMS modules which came installed in that model (not as options IIRC) will transplant into the 8810A but the OHMS module has an on board battery for the ohms supply !!!! which means the covers have to come off to replace it. Silly idea on a bench meter.
But in the 8810A they got rid of the battery and used an isolated supply as it should be.

I would avoid those without the options unless really cheap , maybe its time for an offer.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:16 pm »
One important thing to check is if the unit has both AC V and OHMS options installed (Yes they were options on the 8810A).
Just had a look at the photos and the options section on the photo of the bottom do not have a mark in the square indicating installed.

Aha - excellent info - much appreciated! Yes it appears it's only DCV as is. I guess Fluke bean counters figured they could make more money charging for options such as ... resistance? Good grief!

I would avoid those without the options unless really cheap , maybe its time for an offer.

Indeed, time for a lowball offer. Are the option boards available? I'll look on Ebay & think about it tonight.

Many thanks again!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Tom D

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:38:54 pm »
A friend of mine gave me this 8810A a few years back. He bought this from one of the RAAF auctions for about forty bucks, if memory serves me correctly. Anyway he decided he didn't really need it, and passed it on to me.

It was originally switched for 115 volts, but it was no big deal switching it over to 240 volts. This one has the ohms converter option as well as the RMS AC converter option.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:46:26 am by Tom D »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:15:26 am »
A friend of mine gave me this 8810A a few years back. He bought this from one of the RAAF auctions for about forty bucks, if memory serves me correctly. Anyway he decided he didn't really need it, and passed it on to me.

Tom

Thanks for the additional pic Tom. I really want to get one of these going with all the options, so I may have to bid on a non-working one for parts and another working one. I really like the switches on the front, they remind me of the old PDP-11 computers back in the day.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf