Author Topic: Radio Shack 22-172 DC clamp meter review/teardown  (Read 6576 times)

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Radio Shack 22-172 DC clamp meter review/teardown
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:41:11 am »
I recently bought a Radio Shack 22-172 DC clamp meter for automotive work (tracing down the cause of battery draining over a few days in a 2002 Ford Taurus, turns out to be door switch intermittently making contact with door closed). Radio Shack had a sale on that particular meter (normally $70, now $60) and I also had a $10 off coupon, so I got it for $50.

Pros:
* Up to 800A AC or DC current measurement with 10mA resolution on 40A range, all for $50.
* Supposed to be rated for CAT III 600V. The clamp itself has insulated tips.
* True RMS works quite well.

Cons:
* Annoying beep when changing ranges, but continuity mode is so slow as to be nearly useless. (I disabled the buzzer after that.)
* Current range drifts badly, but that might be an inherent limitation of DC current sensing.
* DSP seems to be mounted to the board in a manner similar to how cheap electronics are constructed, but I have seen some high quality devices also using that construction, so I'm not sure what to make of it.
* No RS232 output.
* No wired mA and uA mode, but understandable as that would require an expensive HRC fuse to maintain the CAT III rating.
* There's a thin jumper wire going from the input board to the range switch, would that impact the CAT III rating?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Omnibro

Re: Radio Shack 22-172 DC clamp meter review/teardown
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 03:05:09 pm »
I was just gifted one of these on a job yesterday.  It's in very good condition, feels a lot like my 65 dollar Ideal clamp meter.  Very happy to have it, as xraytonyb from Youtube has said, 'he who dies with the most meters wins'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf