Author Topic: Fnirsi-1014d: function gen, square wave  (Read 402 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Fnirsi-1014d: function gen, square wave
« on: January 27, 2024, 01:47:13 pm »
hi
I see the Fnirsi-1014d comes with a built-in function generator.

For a very simple application, I don't need nothing but a portable device on battery with one analog line within audio bandwidth, and the possibility to generate a square wave at { 10Khz, 20Khz, ... 100Khz }, with variable duty cycle from 1% to 99%, and an output signal from 0v to 5V.

Is the built-in function generator able to do that?

I probably downloaded an introductory manual instead of the actual User Manual, but I can't find any more specifics about it  :-//
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

The following users thanked this post: naiclub

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fnirsi-1014d: function gen, square wave
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 05:24:01 pm »
hi
I see the Fnirsi-1014d comes with a built-in function generator.

For a very simple application, I don't need nothing but a portable device on battery with one analog line within audio bandwidth, and the possibility to generate a square wave at { 10Khz, 20Khz, ... 100Khz }, with variable duty cycle from 1% to 99%, and an output signal from 0v to 5V.

Is the built-in function generator able to do that?

I probably downloaded an introductory manual instead of the actual User Manual, but I can't find any more specifics about it  :-//
Like this and what I want I happen to have this model but it doesn't work well at all. The signal generator function is very weak and cannot be used with some scopes.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Re: Fnirsi-1014d: function gen, square wave
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 07:49:26 am »
All I can tell about the 1014D function generator is that it uses a FPGA and an eight bit  2R/R network to generate the waveform. The schematics can be found here.

In the FPGA it uses 1KB of memory for the waveform generation, and it uses an external clock synthesizer to set the frequency. Only partially reverse engineered both the FPGA and the firmware.

Never really used it, so don't know if it is possible to upload your own waveform. Doing PWM is probably more difficult to do with it and might require constantly uploading a new waveform.

The output voltage is dependent on the waveform. The DAC has a fixed amplification and a max output of 3.3V.

Just like a lot of the other FNIRSI stuff it is a bunch of crap.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf